Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308423 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2275 on: June 14, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
I think it's a function of size; we have those things too - the cell phone lot, and a periodic state police sweep - but when two or more flights come in at once (and that should tell you how big Hartford is; there are probably 10's of flights coming in within 15 minutes at EWR) it turns into chaos.   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2276 on: June 14, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »
I've never had to deal with that stuff at Bradley. I've never been dropped off there. I always park in one of the those $8-$10 lots up the road and there's a shuttle waiting to pick me up before I even have a chance to get out of my car.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2277 on: June 14, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
Class reunions. In this day and age, if I don't have you on my Facebook, or if I've never even texted you or even spoke to you often in high school, why on Earth would I want to go waste a Saturday night hanging out with people who are essentially strangers? My old man tried to convince me with a few reasons despite him apparently being unaware I'm a total introvert: 1) you might want to see what everyone's been up to (again, Facebook! and if I don't know what you've been doing, there's been a good reason for it, I just don't care!), 2) you might meet a single female (the last place I want to hook up with someone is with my old classmates, not to mention, does he have any idea about my interests? I might as well go talk to the wall), 3) you could have a good time (I can have a good time on my own, at home!).

Yeah I'm a bit grumpy over it all but I just don't get it. Why on Earth would I want to go hang out with people I haven't cared one bit about in the last 10 years? Everyone who matters to me I've kept in contact with or hang out on my own time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2278 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
Class reunions. In this day and age, if I don't have you on my Facebook, or if I've never even texted you or even spoke to you often in high school, why on Earth would I want to go waste a Saturday night hanging out with people who are essentially strangers? My old man tried to convince me with a few reasons despite him apparently being unaware I'm a total introvert: 1) you might want to see what everyone's been up to (again, Facebook! and if I don't know what you've been doing, there's been a good reason for it, I just don't care!), 2) you might meet a single female (the last place I want to hook up with someone is with my old classmates, not to mention, does he have any idea about my interests? I might as well go talk to the wall), 3) you could have a good time (I can have a good time on my own, at home!).

Yeah I'm a bit grumpy over it all but I just don't get it. Why on Earth would I want to go hang out with people I haven't cared one bit about in the last 10 years? Everyone who matters to me I've kept in contact with or hang out on my own time.

My thoughts exactly. My 10 year is coming up very soon. The only reason I'd even think about it is if my best friend was going and wanted me to go.

He's not going. He thinks it's stupid. I already keep in touch with those whom I give a damn about on Facebook. Everyone else can piss off.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: June 14, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
I don't find class reunions irritating as that would mean I give them enough thought for them to irritate me. I liked high school enough. Like most kids, I had my ups and downs, friends, those who didn't care for me, and those who couldn't pick me out of a lineup. My life has changed in so many ways since then. I don't have the slightest desire to "see what people are up to" or "reconnect with old friends." As Katt said, I could do that and facebook. And I am not even on facebook. That's how little interest I have in doing any of that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2280 on: June 14, 2019, 02:38:35 PM »
The Lovely Mrs TAC detests reunions. Otherwise, I'd go. I don't have a problem with them. I don't have a facebook. There's plenty of people that I would love to see, and just say hello how you doing.

I don't need to be facebook friends with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: June 14, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
The thing is most of the people (according to Facebook, which is where all the details are going down, which is to say, almost no details are going down) are the preppy popular kids from high school. I had nothing in common with them them, haven't even seen most of them since, and it's a small town so there's a very small chance any of the kids *I* talked to would even go, if they're even still around here. Reunions are lame unless you're part of that very specific clique that... already stays in contact with each other anyway.  :facepalm:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2282 on: June 14, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »

Sounds like your irritation is with your father, rather than reunions.

I went to the same Catholic elementary school from grades 1-8 and then a Catholic high school.  I'm FB friends with more than a dozen folks from elementary school but only 2 from high school (and one of the two is a woman I dated 20 years after high school without knowing we went to school together until after we started dating).  I've never been to a HS reunion and have no interest in doing so.  We've organized a couple of elementary school get togethers (not formal reunions), and those have been great.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: June 14, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
No, I was just refuting his points. I simply hate the idea of class reunions and keep getting invites to mine. Get off my lawn dammit.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2284 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
No, I was just refuting his points. I simply hate the idea of class reunions and keep getting invites to mine. Get off my lawn dammit.  :lol

You just reminded me of something.

A month ago or so, I got a postcard from my high school's alumni association telling me that it was EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!! that I contact them RIGHT AWAY!!! to confirm they had accurate contact information for me.  Putting aside the fact that, if they didn't have my correct address, I wouldn't have received the postcard, that approach is pretty much the best way to ensure that I DON'T respond.  Extremely important?  Bullshit.  You just want to make sure you can get to me with your fundraising requests.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2285 on: June 14, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »

At least you heard about yours. My friends and I got no word of our 10 year reunion. I was pissed when I heard it was only $10 entry with an open bar.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: June 14, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
I didn't attend the 10 year reunion, they had some big plans but the response was so low on facebook that they moved it to the local diner  :lol which does have a bar, but still, I think like 20 people out  of a class of ~330 showed up from what I heard.

Having said that, now that I am single and if still when the 20 year rolls up in 2023, I might go and see who else is still single  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2287 on: June 14, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
I didn't attend the 10 year reunion, they had some big plans but the response was so low on facebook that they moved it to the local diner  :lol which does have a bar, but still, I think like 20 people out  of a class of ~330 showed up from what I heard.

Having said that, now that I am single and if still when the 20 year rolls up in 2023, I might go and see who else is still single  :lol

10 people will show up.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2288 on: June 14, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
 :lol it probably wont even happen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2289 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
I think like 20 people out  of a class of ~330 showed up from what I heard.

We had our 30 year reunion in 2015.  I think about 100-120 out of a class of 550 attended.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: June 14, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »
My mom went to a small nursing school and they have reunions every other year. It's pretty neat as one person volunteers to "host" so they coordinate all the activities and hotels and such, as everyone is pretty scattered throughout the US. I know between 10-15 women show up regularly, but I don't know how many people were in her class. I think it was around 50, so that percentage is pretty good, considering she graduated almost 50 years ago!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2291 on: June 14, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
My mom went to a small nursing school and they have reunions every other year. It's pretty neat as one person volunteers to "host" so they coordinate all the activities and hotels and such, as everyone is pretty scattered throughout the US. I know between 10-15 women show up regularly, but I don't know how many people were in her class. I think it was around 50, so that percentage is pretty good, considering she graduated almost 50 years ago!

It seems to be more of a thing for that generation. My dad does that too... not quite with that regularity and formality, but reunions seem to be more for that generation. Wth the inter Webb, the people that want to keep in touch, will. So the physical requirement to "re" unite is kinda passé for gen-x and onward.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »

At least you heard about yours. My friends and I got no word of our 10 year reunion. I was pissed when I heard it was only $10 entry with an open bar.

Damn if I knew my reunion had an open bar for $10 I might have gone. That's a cheap night of drinking

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2293 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
I didn't go to my 10 year reunion. I heard about it and kind of wanted to go. But, i had stuff to do. Even though I'm "friends" with them on Facebook, it would've been nice to hangout with those people though.

Either way i dont really care i missed it. It was a weekend type thing and most went to the bar event mainly, haha.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2294 on: June 15, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread but I went to the bank (fully open business hours to be clear) and they have one ATM in the lobby which usually isn't a problem unless you have one of the folks I had today who spent about 10 minutes doing whatever at the machine. If you're spending more than one minute at the machine then whatever business you have needs to be taken care of by a teller. The people that do this are practically first cousins of the folks who wheel an entire shopping cart full of groceries to the self-checkout register/scanner.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: June 15, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
It seems recently, every time I go to a drive through ATM, it's broken and I need to go inside and then wait on a similar line for the ATM in the lobby.  Mildly irritating. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2296 on: June 15, 2019, 01:15:46 PM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread but I went to the bank (fully open business hours to be clear) and they have one ATM in the lobby which usually isn't a problem unless you have one of the folks I had today who spent about 10 minutes doing whatever at the machine. If you're spending more than one minute at the machine then whatever business you have needs to be taken care of by a teller. The people that do this are practically first cousins of the folks who wheel an entire shopping cart full of groceries to the self-checkout register/scanner.

That's funny.

And true.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2297 on: June 17, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »

I skipped both my 10-year and 20-year reunions for the same reason.  Why should I go and spend time with people that treated me like crap in school?  You hated me then and I was never cool enough to hang out with you, yet I'm supposed to go and reminisce about "good times" just because we're all older and have kids now?   Sorry, not interested.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: June 17, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
(and one of the two is a woman I dated 20 years after high school without knowing we went to school together until after we started dating). 

Can I ask how that happened?   My school was 1250 people (class was 285 or so), I think, but 98% of them went to the same high school and middle school, so even if I didn't know know them, I kind of knew who they were.  Big school?  EDIT:  I just saw your other post.  I get it now, I think.   

As for me, I'm indifferent to reunions. I was lucky, in that I was a chameleon.  I hung with the cool kids (largely the athletes) because I was athletic, I knew all the smart kids because I was in the smart classes, and knew most of the burners/hoods because of my neighborhood and hockey (our hockey team started as a detention class about eight years before I got to the high school).    I went to my five year and it was ho-hum, but missed the ones in between because of where I lived (out of state).

Then about a year or so ago, my friend (who I do keep in touch with) says "hey come down; my wife and I are meeting so-and-so - and it was JUST going to be this one girl, best friend of the girl I went to the prom with".  So I went.  Turns out, my friend missed the fact that it was an impromptu reunion arranged on Facebook - I'm not on Facebook - and so there were probably 35, 40 people from my school there.   It was very fun, if only because it's been so long that I had to introduce myself to EASILY 15 people that didn't recognize me from high school, and it's fascinating to me how people view the past.  More than once I recall thinking, "huh, that's not how I remember it going down at all."   Thankfully it was mostly for the positive, but still, it's weird how memory works (or doesn't). 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:43 AM »
My old Logitech G35 headset has finally died. I was looking for a wireless headset this time and settled on a Logitech G533. Bought it, brought the box home only to open it and find that the USB-receiver is missing from the box. They do not work with wired connection at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2300 on: June 17, 2019, 10:12:35 AM »
My old Logitech G35 headset has finally died. I was looking for a wireless headset this time and settled on a Logitech G533. Bought it, brought the box home only to open it and find that the USB-receiver is missing from the box. They do not work with wired connection at all.

Sucks, I had the G35 which was great and lasted for so long with my abuse as well.  Eventually died, and I got the G935 which I hate.  There's a bug in the firmware and I can't upgrade it to fix the bugs because everytime I try to do a firmware upgrade it bricks the headsets forcing me to find a pin so I can do a factory reset.  So they work, and sound/feel is similar to the G35 but it's just a somewhat broken product.  When these die, I will be getting a different brand.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2301 on: June 17, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
People who reply to work emails in the wrong email stream.

One email stream is about A.

Then I email about something else, which we'll call B.

One person replies to the email about B asking about something particular about A.

Are you that freaking lazy or stupid that you can't find the original email stream (about A) and ask about in that one?  Nope, you'd rather cause confusion by asking about in B, which has a handful of people CC'd, who were not CC'd on A, who will now have no idea what was being asked about.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2302 on: June 17, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »
(and one of the two is a woman I dated 20 years after high school without knowing we went to school together until after we started dating). 

Can I ask how that happened?   My school was 1250 people (class was 285 or so), I think, but 98% of them went to the same high school and middle school, so even if I didn't know know them, I kind of knew who they were.  Big school?  EDIT:  I just saw your other post.  I get it now, I think.   

You mean how we ended up dating without knowing we had gone to high school together?  My high school had well over 2,000 students (most recent publicly-available number is about 2,150, but I think there were more when I was there) and was fed by at least a dozen Catholic elementary schools in the county (for the past several years, the school has been consistently in the top 5-10 national high school football team rankings (same with basketball), so the school now draws a lot of athletes from out of the area, but that's a different discussion).

Anyway, we didn't know each other in high school (although I knew her maiden name because it is a common German word, and I took German in high school).  By the time we went out, she was divorced and using her married name, and our first date was a blind date (can't remember if we knew last names before the first date).  It was either the second or third date that one of us asked what year the other graduated high school.  The answer was 1985, and then the next question was "what high school?"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2303 on: June 17, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
I am mildly irritated that the below thread got locked before I got to see it!   ;D

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53990.0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
All I know is that I've got a lot to learn ( rascal whore ) about how to use parens.  Anyone else use Kevin Nealon's voice for all the parentheticals?  (Remember that subliminal skit on SNL?)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »

Sucks, I had the G35 which was great and lasted for so long with my abuse as well.  Eventually died, and I got the G935 which I hate.  There's a bug in the firmware and I can't upgrade it to fix the bugs because everytime I try to do a firmware upgrade it bricks the headsets forcing me to find a pin so I can do a factory reset.  So they work, and sound/feel is similar to the G35 but it's just a somewhat broken product.  When these die, I will be getting a different brand.

That sucks too, but I guess the silver lining is that they at least work? :biggrin: I've got a D&D session to run tomorrow and I don't have a headset. At this point I'll just have to buy a cheap one until this gets solved. Good to know about G935 though, will forward that to my friends who also use Logitech.

I've been looking into Razer and Steelseries, I wish I would've gone with one of these now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2306 on: June 17, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
All I know is that I've got a lot to learn ( rascal whore ) about how to use parens.  Anyone else use Kevin Nealon's voice for all the parentheticals?  (Remember that subliminal skit on SNL?)

It reminded me of David Wynn Miller's bizarre "Quantum Language."

On another subject, I saw Kevin Nealon do standup sometime around 2006-07, and he was freakin' hilarious!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2307 on: June 17, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »
The answer was 1985, and then the next question was "what high school?"

St. Thomas?

Oh nevermind...you are in CA right?
Mater Dei?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:58:09 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2308 on: June 17, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »

St. Thomas?

Haken?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2309 on: June 17, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »

St. Thomas?

Oh nevermind...you are in CA right?
Mater Dei?

Yup.