Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307239 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2065 on: April 08, 2019, 06:27:38 PM »
I hate "pellow". It's PILLow dammit lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2066 on: April 08, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
"Anticlimatic". :yeahright

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: April 08, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
"Guesstimate" Is it a guess, or an estimate? IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2068 on: April 09, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
I hate that one too. I had a gf in high school who called milk "melk". Drove me nuts.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2069 on: April 09, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »
I hate that one too. I had a gf in high school who called milk "melk". Drove me nuts.

ugggghh

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2070 on: April 09, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
On that note, it's roof...not ruff.

And don't even get me started on Hummus.  :hat
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
And don't even get me started on Hummus.  :hat

oh I know better not to  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2072 on: May 06, 2019, 01:58:53 AM »
Let's make a quiz.

Leaving aside the fact that saturday I have been at a very nice fantasy festival in a wonderful location on the shores of a lake, and that it rained like the year before and the year before that.... the weather forecast for this week looks like this:

Today, Monday: sunny
Tuesday: sunny
Wednesday: rainy
Thursday: sunny
Friday: sunny

Question: given the above forecast, guess on which day I'll be seeing Metallica in an open air field   :\ :yeahright
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2073 on: May 06, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
This is more something that bewilders me than something that irritates me....

I was reading a collection of submissions, the subject of which was "how ___ celebrity lost me as a fan."  Almost none of the submissions were things like, "I loved Metallica until they turned into an alt-country band."  Instead, almost all of the submissions were things like, "I lost respect for [some rapper] when I found out he cheated on his wife," or "I used to like [some actor] until I learned he was a Trump supporter."  Someone even said that he was a fan of a particular actress until he/she found out that the actress fed her child like a bird (by chewing up food and "spitting" it into the child's mouth).  Because of this, the person said he/she just can't enjoy the actress's movies anymore.

It has literally never occurred to me to care about the personal lives or political opinions or whatever of the people who supply me with entertainment (much less how they feed their children).  For me, the only question is whether the entertainment product appeals to me.  Finding out that my favorite bass player likes to dress up as a baby and have his diaper changed doesn't have any impact on the music he creates.  Do folks really limit their entertainment to folks who adhere to specific ideologies, political points of view, sexual fetishes, etc.?  Or say, "I love this artist's work, but if I find out she vapes farts, then I'm gone"?  Really?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:06:09 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2074 on: May 06, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
Which bass player likes to dress up like a baby?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2075 on: May 06, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
This is more something that bewilders me than something that irritates me....

I was reading a collection of submissions, the subject of which was "how ___ celebrity lost me as a fan."  Almost none of the submissions were things like, "I loved Metallica until they turned into an alt-country band."  Instead, almost all of the submissions were things like, "I lost respect for [some rapper] when I found out he cheated on his wife," or "I used to like [some actor] until I learned he was a Trump supporter."  Someone even said that he was a fan of a particular actress until he/she found out that the actress fed her child like a bird (by chewing up food and "spitting" it into the child's mouth).  Because of this, the person said he/she just can't enjoy the actress's movies anymore.

It has literally never occurred to me to care about the personal lives or political opinions or whatever of the people who supply me with entertainment (much less how they feed their children).  For me, the only question is whether the entertainment product appeals to me.  Finding out that my favorite bass player likes to dress up as a baby and have his diaper changed doesn't have any impact on the music he creates.  Do folks really limit their entertainment to folks who adhere to specific ideologies, political points of view, sexual fetishes, etc.?  Or say, "I love this artist's work, but if I find out she vapes farts, then I'm gone"?  Really?

I have no desire to watch anything with Kevin Spacey in it ever again. Sue me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2076 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
Which bass player likes to dress up like a baby?

:lol

Thoughtful post..

This is interesting, and it's something I generally consider as I get older.

It depends what I'm looking for as a fan. Do I want to be entertained? Or do I want to "follow"? By that I mean, if I am a "follower" or a real fan of a band, then I need to have some sense that there is some integrity. Take Dream theater for example. I am a huge fan of the music first and foremost, and over the course of time, I have become huge fans of the band members themselves. Frankly, if I found out JP or JR cheated on his wife while on tour, I would be extremely disappointed, and it would definitely change the equation a bit.

The whole Trump thing baffles me. Whether they support Trump or Obama, I really don't care. I just don't want to be hit over the head with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: May 07, 2019, 06:33:53 AM »

I'm sure there are such folks. As for me, I think I'm mildly in this category myself. I used to really admire Tom Cruises work, and him as a person, until gratefully I learned more about Scientology. It doesn't keep me from watching and enjoying his new movies, but there's no way I can respect him as a person now. It has effected my overall experience. Same for John Travolta.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2078 on: May 07, 2019, 06:47:15 AM »

I'm sure there are such folks. As for me, I think I'm mildly in this category myself. I used to really admire Tom Cruises work, and him as a person, until gratefully I learned more about Scientology. It doesn't keep me from watching and enjoying his new movies, but there's no way I can respect him as a person now. It has effected my overall experience. Same for John Travolta.

There are a handful of Hollywood folk who I can’t watch anymore due to how over the top they are on their political views. Alec Baldwin is at the top of the list. Good actor but he’s hatefully insane when it comes to ridiculing anyone who isn’t a progressive liberal. Whereas, someone like Matt Damon....who is a progressive liberal does not take every chance he’s given or create those chances to tear into people who are not. In fact, that dude is busting his a$$ and putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to helping people when you really look into it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2079 on: May 07, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump might literally be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2080 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
I think this is more common than we're letting on.   Gabriel, Sting, REM, U2 had a mini-cottage industry back in the late 80's and early 90's as to who could be more giving, and every album had the requisite address to "send your fucking cash" (thanks Bob!).   I know several people that took great personal satisfaction in that, living vicariously through them.   

For me it doesn't matter, until it invades their art.   REM is a good band - I have all their records, and have seen them three times live - but they will always be a sort of second-tier band for me because the politics are so ingrained in their work that sometimes it's unavoidable.   (Having said that, I saw an interview with Michael Stipe and Mike Mills with Dan Rather, and it was rather illuminating and cast things in a different light).    I can't say I like anyone that's a pedophile or the like.  I'm not that sensitive to race/identity politics things, so if someone doesn't completely toe the line on that, I'm not losing any sleep.   I'm far more likely to not follow someone because they're a douche, not because they are a Republican or Democrat (or something else).   Radiohead.  Steven Wilson.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2081 on: May 07, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
I can still enjoy the performances and work of an actor or actress in spite of whatever political ideology they hold or even if they're a giant douche (save for being a pedophile or something). At the end of the day, they are using their talents to pretend to be someone else, so their views and beliefs don't tend to invade and thereby identify their craft.

With music it's different. Lyricists most often inject their own philosophies and political thoughts into their work. Doing do has literally shaped and continues to shape the musical zeitgeist of every era. I think if I only listened to a handful of artists that spoonfeeds me what I already want to hear, then music would be pretty dull honestly.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2082 on: May 07, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Why do people announce the birth of a child as "It's a baby boy"? It's not going to be born a teenage boy, or a grown man. Just say BOY! :angry:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2083 on: May 07, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »

I could have typed this word for word - with that exact same example.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2084 on: May 07, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
Why do people announce the birth of a child as "It's a baby boy"? It's not going to be born a teenage boy, or a grown man. Just say BOY! :angry:

:lol :lol :lol

On the other issue I raised, ThatOneGuy raised a good point.  If the objectionable thing works its way into the artist's work, then subject to the same judgment as any other aspect of the work.  For example, I'm not a fan of Ted Nugent's music, but even if I liked it, I might not be thrilled with going to his concerts if (as I understand he does) he preaches about politics (and, by the way, that would be the same for any artist on either side of the political spectrum).  As far as Tom Cruise or John Travolta or Kevin Spacey, I just couldn't care less.  ME:  "Is the movie good?"  YOU:
 "Yes, but the actor is a freak and/or an asshole."  ME:  "I don't care."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2085 on: May 07, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »
Here's mine for the day.

When someone wants something ASAP, and asks for an email or phone call when it's done... but then they don't answer the phone nor respond to the email.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2086 on: May 07, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »

Maybe the parents are fans of Game of Thrones and want everyone to know that they had a baby, not a dragon.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2087 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »
Here's mine for the day.

When someone wants something ASAP, and asks for an email or phone call when it's done... but then they don't answer the phone nor respond to the email.

This reminds me of when a nurse lets a vital IV infusion med run completely dry before calling for a replacement, and then freaking out on me because I'm not getting it to them immediately.

It does make me appreciate the good ones that actually give me some notice in advance so that there is no interruption in care.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2088 on: May 07, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »
Here's mine for the day.

I had kind of the opposite experience today.  I texted someone asking for some info, and got a response along the lines of:  "I'm busy now and will respond later."  And no, it wasn't a situation where an immediate response was needed.  Just wait until you have the info and THEN respond.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: May 08, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Maybe the parents are fans of Game of Thrones and want everyone to know that they had a baby, not a dragon.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't quite get most of the hoopla around babies.  My big peeve is the "gender reveal".  Even the name is annoying as heck.   And the only thing worse is the "gender reveal fail".  It's like a social media nightmare for me.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2090 on: May 08, 2019, 07:26:47 AM »

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't quite get most of the hoopla around babies.  My big peeve is the "gender reveal".  Even the name is annoying as heck.   And the only thing worse is the "gender reveal fail".  It's like a social media nightmare for me.

Is anything on social media *NOT* a nightmare for you?   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: May 08, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »

I'm not a fan of the whole gender reveal thing myself.  The fails may be the only thing enjoyable from them though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: May 08, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

Pretty much, no.

Can do without:
- gender reveals
- "challenges"
- those silly "filters"
- memes
- the idea of "influencers"
- hashtags

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2093 on: May 08, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
Lately, I've been grates by aggressive people.  People seem entitled these day and I'm tired of it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2094 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »

Pretty much, no.

Can do without:
- gender reveals
- "challenges"
- those silly "filters"
- memes
- the idea of "influencers"
- hashtags

Gender reveals are the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I absolute hate attending them. Lump birthdays for a kid under 3 into that category as well.

I can get on board with some challenges. #TrashTag is great, and the ice bucket challenge was a huge success. Eating Tide Pods was pretty retarded though.

Filters annoy me.

I love memes in the right context.

Influencers piss me off.

I find hashtags to be useful when used properly, usually in the context of a hobby. If I'm looking for new body or paint scheme ideas for a particular type of RC truck I've just purchased, I turn to Instagram and search "#Axial", "#SCX10", or "#RCscaler". It really aids in getting the creative juices flowing. When people just use them to express an extended thought like "#ILoveIceCreamInSummerInNewEngland" or "#BestestFriendsForSevenYearsTomorrow", it drives me nuts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2095 on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »
inspirational motherhood posts are my least favorite thing about social media after echo chambers
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: May 08, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
inspirational motherhood posts are my least favorite thing about social media after echo chambers

You just can't relate.  You are not a woman and you haven't birthed a kid.  I just scroll on by.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2097 on: May 08, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »

You just can't relate.  You are not a woman and you haven't birthed a kid.  I just scroll on by.

:lol It's just annoying that every young mother on social media thinks it's the biggest goddamn thing in the world because they broke down crying in the parking lot after their kid cried for a candy bar

I didn't want to give in. I wanted to be strong.

But I bought it, and I saw her face light up, even with those ugly tears on her cheeks.

And then I understood the sheer strength that it takes to be a mother.

shut uuup  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: May 08, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2099 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
There is a special place in hell for the person who made gender reveal a thing.

Also, the "thanks for the invite" people are the worst.  Ya know, when someone posts a pic from something fun they did or are doing and someone dipshit posts, "thanks for the invite," which then gets the OP to scramble and give some nice reason as to why they didn't invite them, instead of saying, "I would have invited you if I wanted you there, you self-centered piece of cow anus!"