Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304975 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2030 on: March 22, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »
My only real beef was the "I don't care what you think when clearly I do" point I probably wasn't making well. They aren't disregarding those tactless comments, they are going out of their way to address them. Disregarding them would be... disregarding them.

I guess my issues are two-fold: 1) The point King made about how we treat each other, especially people we've never met, and 2) the Instagram LOOK AT ME "I will call out negative comments by saying they don't bother me when clearly they do" culture.

... if you want to criticize their looks or weight, there's better ways than just being a dick about it.  And let's not forget the person making such comments is also doing so for attention.
Not sure how one can criticize someone's weight or looks in a tactful, polite way. :) But I get what you are saying.

And yeah, business meetings.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:42:19 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2031 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Disregard may have been the wrong word... maybe dismiss would have been better.  It looks like her comment was actually preemptive, and I thought it was fine.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2032 on: March 22, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
Meetings. Long ago I thought it'd be neat to have a job where I 'had' to attend meetings. After 6 years of having a job where I 'need' to attend meetings I've realized 95% of meetings are a waste of time. I know this isn't unique.....that this isn't a new insight but most anything that get's solved or addressed in a meeting isn't anything a phone call can't do. I get that there are times when meetings are needed....but for the most part I feel it's a great waste of time and effort.

I saw this at the first meeting I went to at my job 15...almost 16 years ago. I only go to meetings now because they're always on my days off and I get 4 hours of time and a half pay even though the meetings never go over an hour. I just sit there and shut up and get paid.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2033 on: March 23, 2019, 10:23:01 AM »
My two cents.  We've lost a bit of tact with the advent of the internet.   We feel free to say things to people we do not know because we are not face to face with them.

The world needs a little more tact again.

Word. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2034 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »
Meetings. Long ago I thought it'd be neat to have a job where I 'had' to attend meetings. After 6 years of having a job where I 'need' to attend meetings I've realized 95% of meetings are a waste of time. I know this isn't unique.....that this isn't a new insight but most anything that get's solved or addressed in a meeting isn't anything a phone call can't do. I get that there are times when meetings are needed....but for the most part I feel it's a great waste of time and effort.

I saw this at the first meeting I went to at my job 15...almost 16 years ago. I only go to meetings now because they're always on my days off and I get 4 hours of time and a half pay even though the meetings never go over an hour. I just sit there and shut up and get paid.

That would indeed make meetings more tolerable. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: March 23, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
My only real beef was the "I don't care what you think when clearly I do" point I probably wasn't making well. They aren't disregarding those tactless comments, they are going out of their way to address them. Disregarding them would be... disregarding them.

I guess my issues are two-fold: 1) The point King made about how we treat each other, especially people we've never met, and 2) the Instagram LOOK AT ME "I will call out negative comments by saying they don't bother me when clearly they do" culture.

... if you want to criticize their looks or weight, there's better ways than just being a dick about it.  And let's not forget the person making such comments is also doing so for attention.
Not sure how one can criticize someone's weight or looks in a tactful, polite way. :) But I get what you are saying.

And yeah, business meetings.

I guess I would ask, "what's the point of posting those pictures to begin with"?  I don't think the answer is that different on either side;  I agree with King that we need more tact - not every opinion needs to be expressed - but I'm not sure that we need to be this committed to garnering the acceptance and approval of a pack of abject strangers.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2036 on: March 23, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
People can post whatever they want. People can respond with whatever they want. People can respond to those responses however they want and so on and so on and so on.

Doesn't mean any of those people aren't dicks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: March 23, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
People can post whatever they want. People can respond with whatever they want. People can respond to those responses however they want and so on and so on and so on.

Which is not a point of view I necessarily have problems with at all.   But that's not really how society works these days.  It's like we're being bullied into being "nice". 

Which, I guess, is noble, but it sort of begs the question:  if we acknowledge the powers and failings of social media in one instance, why do we have the tendency to ignore it in others?   Meaning, if someone puts a picture of a sign that has a racist connotation - like that kid in Sarasota who sucks at humor - and we watch and applaud the public stoning that results, why do we seem surprised when it happens on a more personal level?  It's like the scorpion parable over and over.

Online Adami

« Reply #2038 on: March 23, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »

Which is not a point of view I necessarily have problems with at all.   But that's not really how society works these days.  It's like we're being bullied into being "nice". 

Which, I guess, is noble, but it sort of begs the question:  if we acknowledge the powers and failings of social media in one instance, why do we have the tendency to ignore it in others?   Meaning, if someone puts a picture of a sign that has a racist connotation - like that kid in Sarasota who sucks at humor - and we watch and applaud the public stoning that results, why do we seem surprised when it happens on a more personal level?  It's like the scorpion parable over and over.

We're also "bullied" into eating healthy (at least if you live in LA, god damn) but we can just ignore it and eat a bag of skittles.

What would you tell someone who posts pictures and doesn't like the response? Either suck it up or don't post pics.

What would I tell someone who feels they are "bullied" for their opinions? Either suck it up or stop posting your opinions.

And as much as you feel we're "bullied" into being nice, my experience on Social Media is that the biggets dicks get the most reward. Nice people are largely ignored. The douche just has to be on your side. Do I see posts about sweet kind liberals doing nice things? No. I see posts praising rude abbrasive liberals "sticking it" to conservatives. Dicks get jerked off. It's just how it is. If everyone is telling you that you're a douche, and it hurts your feelings, maybe you're a douche. I dunno.  (not you specifically)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: March 25, 2019, 07:30:12 AM »

We're also "bullied" into eating healthy (at least if you live in LA, god damn) but we can just ignore it and eat a bag of skittles.

What would you tell someone who posts pictures and doesn't like the response? Either suck it up or don't post pics.

What would I tell someone who feels they are "bullied" for their opinions? Either suck it up or stop posting your opinions.

And as much as you feel we're "bullied" into being nice, my experience on Social Media is that the biggets dicks get the most reward. Nice people are largely ignored. The douche just has to be on your side. Do I see posts about sweet kind liberals doing nice things? No. I see posts praising rude abbrasive liberals "sticking it" to conservatives. Dicks get jerked off. It's just how it is. If everyone is telling you that you're a douche, and it hurts your feelings, maybe you're a douche. I dunno.  (not you specifically)

I don't disagree with any of that.   But I don't see a lot of self-awareness of that.  If the "biggest dicks get jerked off" on social media, why then does it hold the fascination that it does?  There are a LOT of people that literally cannot fart without involving social media in some way.

I was with about 6 or 7 guys, all around my age (or older) at an American Legion fund raising event this weekend and when I talked about my social media footprint - zero Facebook, zero Instagram, zero Snapchat, I follow maybe 15 or 20 people on Twitter (all music or music-related) - even THEY were incredulous. 

Online Adami

« Reply #2040 on: March 25, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
I honestly didn't follow your question. Can you clarify what you mean?

Are you asking why, if the biggest dicks are the most jerked off, are so many people interested in Social Media? If so, those seem like unrelated questions. If not, then I don't know what you're asking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: March 27, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »

Are you asking why, if the biggest dicks are the most jerked off, are so many people interested in Social Media? If so, those seem like unrelated questions. If not, then I don't know what you're asking.

Basically asking why the thoughts and actions are so disconnected.   Many of us (I will proudly exclude myself from this group) bitch and moan about social media, but do so while surfing Facechat or telling their "stories" on Instabook.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
Mine for the day:   the hyperbole of the "world".

Smollett wanted cameras in the courtroom to "show the world" he was innocent.  Okay; I highly doubt the "world" would be watching this douche's case.  You hear it in sports a lot; "we shocked the world!"; oh, okay.  I'm sure the farmer in Siberia is pretty goddamn shocked that East Carolina Tech won it's local conference tournament.   Similarly, the idea of playing "on the world's biggest stage".   

It all just shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness, if you ask me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2043 on: March 27, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »
Just wait until we become interplanetary... "What he did next shocked the inner 2/3s of the solar system!"

Online Adami

« Reply #2044 on: March 27, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »

Basically asking why the thoughts and actions are so disconnected.   Many of us (I will proudly exclude myself from this group) bitch and moan about social media, but do so while surfing Facechat or telling their "stories" on Instabook.

I'm sure I can find a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts that will you tell you about how horrible alcohol and drugs are for you.

There is a level of addiction here, on both a psychological and (to a lesser but no less real degree) biological level. Not NEARLY like drugs, and not well studied enough yet, but it's there.

Also people are very capable of cognitive dissonance it seems. This is just another example.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2045 on: March 27, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »

Smollett wanted cameras in the courtroom to "show the world" he was innocent.  Okay; I highly doubt the "world" would be watching this douche's case.

It mildly irritates me that we no longer live in a world where I can read something like this and say, "Who?" without realizing that I can answer my own question with a few simple keystrokes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2046 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:10 PM »

Smollett wanted cameras in the courtroom to "show the world" he was innocent.  Okay; I highly doubt the "world" would be watching this douche's case.

It mildly irritates me that we no longer live in a world where I can read something like this and say, "Who?" without realizing that I can answer my own question with a few simple keystrokes.
:lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2047 on: March 27, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »

Herrick likes this.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: March 28, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
When YouTubers tell me in every single video to subscribe to their channel. Look, I love YouTube, I am on YouTube every single day, sometimes for up to an hour if not more. There are some channels I visit regularly, others sporadically, and a ton of other content from random YouTubers. I do not need an update sent to me every single time one of these channels posts a new video. If I like your channel, I will get to each and every one of your new videos, trust me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »
When YouTubers tell me in every single video to subscribe to their channel. Look, I love YouTube, I am on YouTube every single day, sometimes for up to an hour if not more. There are some channels I visit regularly, others sporadically, and a ton of other content from random YouTubers. I do not need an update sent to me every single time one of these channels posts a new video. If I like your channel, I will get to each and every one of your new videos, trust me.

Yea I understand. I put it in all my videos because anything you read about how to grow your channel starts with asking people to subscribe, in every video, and it does work, but it is annoying when its in the beginning of a video, I put all my at the end, if you made it that far then you can either turn it off or maybe you'll actually subscribe since you watched the whole thing.  I also always put it in the comments with a twist on the wording, keep it fresh, but I pretty much make sure its always there because it's one way that works on growing your following.  It's also a joke with all my friends too so I kind of keep doing it

Having said all that, I pretty much agree it's annoying. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2050 on: March 29, 2019, 08:27:57 AM »
You can blame Youtube's dumb algorithms for that stuff. It doesn't bother me much, because I understand it, but there's no point in telling me to do it at the start of the video before I've even seen it to judge. :P
I've never done anything like that in my videos, but my end screen just has the subscribe link, and the description will usually ask people to like etc. People seem to vote enough without me telling 'em what to do. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2051 on: March 30, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
So amazon is now paying random people to deliver stuff, and it sucks honestly. I had a package that amazon is claiming was "delivered to mail room" and I don't have a mail room.

I've looked all over the place and haven't found anything. And a separate gripe with this is that they are timing these people like they do at the warehouse, so there's a car at 6am outside my place that is hauling ass and then screeching to a stop and then hauling as and screeching to a stop, with a person literally running to deliver crap and all out of the breath.

If you are running like a madman to deliver stuff, then the chances of screwing up go through the roof. Makes me not want to order from amazon anymore honestly.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: March 30, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
We have that in our neighborhood as well. A lot of times they'd mark it as delivered to avoid paying a penalty to amazon. The package would show up a few days later.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: April 08, 2019, 08:01:01 AM »
People who pronounce food "fewd". 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2054 on: April 08, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
People who say "heighth". It's height dammit! There's no th at the end.

Online Adami

« Reply #2055 on: April 08, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »

Huh? How is fewd pronounced? Like feud? Cause I read fewd as food.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2056 on: April 08, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »

"Few" is pronounced fyoo, so I would assume "fewd" would be pronounced fyood.  I have to say that I have never in my life heard anyone pronounce "food" like that.

The one that bugs the crap out of me is pronouncing "nuclear" noo-kyoo-lar.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: April 08, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

Normal people pronounce "food" as in dude.

There's a certain section of our population that put an inflection on it; it sounds more like fee-ude.  It's annoying. 

EDIT:  Reading PG's post, there's a Nutrisystem commercial that is focused on men, and there's this one guy who says "you eat the food, you lose the weight".   He says it right, but then the next guy butchers it and says "fewd" (or fyood).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2058 on: April 08, 2019, 11:14:12 AM »

As everyone in California knows, "dude" is pronounced d'yoooooo-ooo-ooo-D.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2059 on: April 08, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
I can verify that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: April 08, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
But I'm in another country.  I live in Connecticut.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: April 08, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
I cant recall hearing the fewd thing either, but Im sure it would annoy me if I did

Online Adami

« Reply #2062 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
Yea, I've never heard food pronounced that way. I think I'd be more perplexed than anything else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2063 on: April 08, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
If this is true then Lex Luthor had it all right and Superman got in the way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2064 on: April 08, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

There's a certain section of our population that put an inflection on it; it sounds more like fee-ude.  It's annoying. 

EDIT:  Reading PG's post, there's a Nutrisystem commercial that is focused on men, and there's this one guy who says "you eat the food, you lose the weight".   He says it right, but then the next guy butchers it and says "fewd" (or fyood).

Or do you just mean like feud?  :P  I've never heard food pronounced that way, but it would annoy me too.