Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304868 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1995 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me? I've been going as fast as 20 miles over the speed limit with an empty right lane and idiots will still ride my ass. I am in the fast lane driving fast. If you want to be reckless, you can drive around me. The lane is fucking empty.

Yes, becauase you're in the wrong. Stop worrying about the other guy, whether they are 19 or 21 miles over the speed limit, and tend your own garden.   If you have an empty lane to your right, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG right out the gate.  You should be as far right as you can be safely and traveling at a speed YOUR comfortable with.   

Everything else that follows is not really relevant.

I was on an empty 5 lane highway driving in the middle lane, and some asshole drives up on me, and starts flashing his brights. The road is still empty. So for the first time in my life I roll down the window and flip him the bird. He proceeds to pass me and sideswipe me, and hightail it. I then chased the motherfucker, scaring the shit out of my fiancee. When I finally caught up to him, he was clearly inebriated. Was I still supposed to change lanes in that case?

Not if you are in the middle lane; all that nonsense is on that other guy.  That's not the scenario you painted though.   There's a whole lot going on in this last example that doesn't have anything to do with driver lane courtesy.  That guy is a menace, and while I don't speak for anyone other than me, I'm not suggesting that we should all bow down to menaces like that. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1996 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me?

I kinda feel the same way, and this way of thinking is fairly common in states like CA (me) and AZ (you).  The mindset that the left lane is some sort of sacred cow is a very east coast thing.

What drives me batty are the assholes who think it's ok to just plow on over to the left lane immediately after getting on the freeway and then driving 65 in the left lane.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1997 on: March 21, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »
I think we are protecting bad behavior of drivers by allowing them to dictate the road.

True, but that's also not our roles. Police are there for that. We can't pull someone for speeding and punish them. We can only REALLY piss them off. Not a wise move.

And I would move aside and not try to block.  But they need to be more patient while I work my way into a lane.

Police can't be at every turn.  People need to act accordingly. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
I think we are protecting bad behavior of drivers by allowing them to dictate the road.

True, but that's also not our roles. Police are there for that. We can't pull someone for speeding and punish them. We can only REALLY piss them off. Not a wise move.

But it's not even that.   It's just courtesy and a false feeling of entitlement.   I don't come to your house and say "you know, that downloading is wrong!"  Or come to your house and check all your cable wires to make sure you have only the correct number of outlets.  I don't scan you as you get into your car to make sure you have your seatbelt on.   I don't follow you in the supermarket to make sure you don't sample a grape before you pay for them.

So why do some people, when they get behind the wheel of a 4,000 pound steel and glass machine, decide they get to now police my driving?  I'm not asking anything that I'm not willing to do myself.  If you come up behind me and want me to move over, I PROMISE you I will do that*.  If the lane choice matters SO much to me, then after the 12 seconds it takes you to go past me, I can move back to where I was. 

I have to live among 319,999,999 other people, and I can't control any of them, only me.  So rather than flex fake muscles by trying to exert my will by proxy on someone else by planting my car in the left lane and making everyone drive around me, I let you make your choices (and deal with the consequences).   I only ask that you let me do the same. 

* Unlike most people that even agree with me on the rest, I will even SPEED UP to get out of your way faster.  I also try to make sure that I know what I'm going to order from McDonald's before I get to the register, and if I don't I will make reasonable efforts to step aside. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me?

I kinda feel the same way, and this way of thinking is fairly common in states like CA (me) and AZ (you).  The mindset that the left lane is some sort of sacred cow is a very east coast thing.

What drives me batty are the assholes who think it's ok to just plow on over to the left lane immediately after getting on the freeway and then driving 65 in the left lane.

What's the difference though?  Zook, in his example, even conceded that the lane to the right of him is open.  How is that different?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2000 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:40 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me? I've been going as fast as 20 miles over the speed limit with an empty right lane and idiots will still ride my ass. I am in the fast lane driving fast. If you want to be reckless, you can drive around me. The lane is fucking empty.

I was on an empty 5 lane highway driving in the middle lane, and some asshole drives up on me, and starts flashing his brights. The road is still empty. So for the first time in my life I roll down the window and flip him the bird. He proceeds to pass me and sideswipe me, and hightail it. I then chased the motherfucker, scaring the shit out of my fiancee. When I finally caught up to him, he was clearly inebriated. Was I still supposed to change lanes in that case?

Yes. You wouldn't have fucked up your car in the process had you done that.

Yes. Obviously in hindsight I would not have flipped him off. Like I was supposed to know that crazy asshole was going to sideswipe me.

I get your logic. I do. But how about this. You're driving on the right side of the street (since you're American) and some crazy person is driving toward you ALSO on the right side of the street. Do you move the hell out of the way? Or do you just keep doing what you're doing, because logically, THEY should be the one moving?

Point is, action reduces the chance of a problem, inaction increases it. It's more practical than logical in that sense.

Well, if someone was coming at me head on, yeah of course I'm going to move. Defensive driving 101. There's no reason to think the person speeding behind me is going to eventually just drive into me. That won't get them where they need to go any faster. But, if they're in such a hurry, and the next lane is empty, why are they still behind me riding my ass? ESPECIALLY IF I'M ALREADY SPEEDING! When I have an opportunity to drive around someone when I want to go faster, I do it. I don't wait for the person to move. 9 times out of 10 they don't.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:01 AM »
I think people are missing the point.  Most of us would pull over.  It's just the aggressiveness of the driver behind you that is upsetting.  I can't tell you the last time I saw someone doing the speed limit in the fast lane.  I just hope people wouldn't be assholes to make a point and allow the driver time to move to the next lane.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2002 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »

This sounds like classic road rage.

Obviously in hindsight I would not have flipped him off. Like I was supposed to know that crazy asshole was going to sideswipe me.

That's why it is always better to be a defensive driver; you never know what the other person might do. It is better to roll your eyes and carry on with your day as if nothing happened.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »
I give people the bird all the time  :lol

Some guy cut me off in a funeral procession last week, oh boy did he get many birds. Such an unnecessary move too that not only almost caused an accident but broke right into the chain of cars following the burst  all with our flasher on. Man do I hate people sometimes and was I mad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2004 on: March 21, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »

What's the difference though?  Zook, in his example, even conceded that the lane to the right of him is open.  How is that different?

The difference is that someone driving 78 in the fast lane is in the appropriate lane, while someone driving 65 isn't.  Moreover, when some clown is doing 65 in the fast lane is going to cause numerous other drivers to make lane changes to pass.  That increases the risk of accidents because, chances are, the flow of traffic in the #2 lane is greater than 65.  Maybe it's just a regional thing, but the #1 lane is not a "passing lane" where I live; it's the "fast lane" (regardless of what the CVC might say).  On a normal 3-6 southern California freeway, no one doing 78 in the fast lane is going to move to the right for someone who wants to do 85.  In other areas, yeah, move over.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: March 21, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »
On that note... Funeral processions.  And no, cram, that was not me on the road that day :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2006 on: March 21, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
I give people the bird all the time  :lol

Some guy cut me off in a funeral procession last week, oh boy did he get many birds. Such an unnecessary move too that not only almost caused an accident but broke right into the chain of cars following the burst  all with our flasher on. Man do I hate people sometimes and was I mad.

I ended up in a procession a while ago. I merged onto the highway (onto 84 from rt.8) and had less than a third of a mile before I had to get across three lanes and into the off-ramp. No lie, the funeral procession was longer than the distance I had between me and the exit. I felt like an asshole, but I had no choice but to cut in. I felt like an even bigger asshole when I kicked the flashers on and rolled through three red lights  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: March 21, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
On that note... Funeral processions.  And no, cram, that was not me on the road that day :)

Yea, while I was super annoyed, I can admit I think the whole idea is wacky.  I was talking to my siblings in my car after my bird waving about why don't we all just meet there? Like why do we do this?

But also, my procession was only 3 cars for my late grandmother.  It's not like there wasn't opportunities to get on your way around us or have to wait really, we really didn't block anything on this trip.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2008 on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »
I felt like an even bigger asshole when I kicked the flashers on and rolled through three red lights

ADAPT. OVERCOME. IMPROVISE.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: March 21, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »

The difference is that someone driving 78 in the fast lane is in the appropriate lane, while someone driving 65 isn't.  Moreover, when some clown is doing 65 in the fast lane is going to cause numerous other drivers to make lane changes to pass.  That increases the risk of accidents because, chances are, the flow of traffic in the #2 lane is greater than 65.  Maybe it's just a regional thing, but the #1 lane is not a "passing lane" where I live; it's the "fast lane" (regardless of what the CVC might say).  On a normal 3-6 southern California freeway, no one doing 78 in the fast lane is going to move to the right for someone who wants to do 85.  In other areas, yeah, move over.

And that's the part I don't understand.   It IS the passing lane.  78 mph, 65 mph or 25 mph.   Saying it's the "fast lane" doesn't make it so.  I guess there's psychological makeup involved too; I cop (see what I did there?) to worrying about that stuff.  I don't ever want to be THAT guy in the story.   I don't want to be the maniac right up in your tailpipe, I don't want to be the guy that won't move over, I just want to be the guy that gets where he's going as fast as he reasonably can and that you don't notice one way or the other on your trip.   I get that some people WANT to be THAT guy and that's what makes the world a fun place.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: March 21, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
I think what he's trying to say is most drivers in the fast lane are impatient even though he is traveling over the speed limit.  It's frustrating that someone will push you to move over when you should do it safely, not rush to get to another lane to accommodate a guy bullying you in the fast lane.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2011 on: March 21, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
I think what he's trying to say is most drivers in the fast lane are impatient even though he is traveling over the speed limit.  It's frustrating that someone will push you to move over when you should do it safely, not rush to get to another lane to accommodate a guy bullying you in the fast lane.

Bingo.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2012 on: March 21, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »
A bit off topic, and maybe beyond the purview of the thread, but:

One of the most annoying types of videos on YouTube to me are all these psuedo-smart film analyst video essays that constantly get recommended to me for some reason. Most often with a click-baity title like "Why <insert beloved film here> Actually Sucks!".

I get that criticism is one thing, but more often than not these videos are by people who've never picked up a camera in their life and think they know better than professionals with decades of experience.

I may be speaking hypocritically on this, since I often give critiques of music on this board and have never written music myself. But these types of vids just annoy me.

I really hate this trend over the last few (5 or 6?) years when articles/video titles that start with "Why".

In general I agree about moving over. The situation I hate being stuck in is when I'm in the left lane going 10 mph faster than the right and someone wants to pass me. But in order to get over, I'll need to slow way down and get stuck behind some of the slow cars, which will then take me several minutes to get an opening big enough in the left lane to get back over. All this only so the guy who wants to go faster can move up and get stuck behind the next car 30 feet ahead of me.

Probably, and maybe I've said this already, but if I'm going 10 miles over the speed limit and you're still riding my ass, fuck you, I might just slow down. If you want to speed, drive around me. I'm already fucking speeding, asshole.

Stadler said this has been brought up before. I don't know if it was in this thread or another thread. I used to agree with Zook. I was a driver who wouldn't move over. I thought I'm going fast enough, fuck that guy behind me. After reading other responses and thinking about it, I now move over if it's safe and the middle lane or right lane isn't going super slow. If the other lanes are too slow then I'll speed up a lot for the driver behind me. AlASS Some times that isn't enough for some drivers who will cut off everyone else in the slower lanes and pass with barely any space.

Butt the 5 lane example Zook posted about is crazy. The crazy fuck behind him was definitely in the wrong...but...still...I'd get out of their way. You (we) don't know how crazy these people might be. Best to avoid them. My outlook on driving has changed significantly since I started riding a motorcycle. A car is a lot safer but at the very least it's a huge fucking inconvenience to get into a fender bender in a car. Avoid the crazies if you can.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2013 on: March 22, 2019, 01:56:25 AM »
I keep having to remind myself that you guys drive on the right side of the road. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: March 22, 2019, 07:17:15 AM »

And I don't disagree with that even a little bit.  I'm right there with you, I really am.   NO CALL for tailgating or rude behavior from either car (Point of record:  gently flicking your lights is NOT RUDE BEHAVIOR).    I've since deleted it, because I couldn't find an easy way to get it from my phone to the computer I use during the day, but after we had this conversation the last time, I started to take video.  I had LITERALLY - in the Merriam Webster sense of the word, not the Kylie Jenner ironic sense - hours of video of me in the right lane, with a clear line of sight, one, maybe two cars in the middle lane moving at speed, and a LINE of cars in the left lane, all behind someone that thought they were Speed Justice Warrior and either wouldn't move or (more likely, I'll grant you) was totally oblivious to the line behind them.  It might be regional, but I have Interstate 91 a mile or so from my house and need to use it to get to work (when I'm not working out of the house), to family, and to my daughter at school.  THIS is my experience EASILY 60% of the the time. 

In my experience, Zook's scenario happens, but SIGNIFICANTLY less than the scenario I'm thinking of, where the person in the left lane is either just flat out rude, flat out oblivious, or some volatile mixture of both.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:57 AM »
We all just need to be the better person on the road.

Problem is there are days I want to smile and the world it right and other days I'd like to see how far my fist could go through someone's skull.  The latter is those days you just need to pull over when you can into another lane even though you are ready for a fight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »
We all just need to be the better person on the road.

Problem is there are days I want to smile and the world it right and other days I'd like to see how far my fist could go through someone's skull.  The latter is those days you just need to pull over when you can into another lane even though you are ready for a fight.

Those latter days are the days I work from home and don't even bother with interacting with anyone other than my dear wife.  :)   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2017 on: March 22, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
Meetings. Long ago I thought it'd be neat to have a job where I 'had' to attend meetings. After 6 years of having a job where I 'need' to attend meetings I've realized 95% of meetings are a waste of time. I know this isn't unique.....that this isn't a new insight but most anything that get's solved or addressed in a meeting isn't anything a phone call can't do. I get that there are times when meetings are needed....but for the most part I feel it's a great waste of time and effort.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2018 on: March 22, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
Meetings. Long ago I thought it'd be neat to have a job where I 'had' to attend meetings. After 6 years of having a job where I 'need' to attend meetings I've realized 95% of meetings are a waste of time. I know this isn't unique.....that this isn't a new insight but most anything that get's solved or addressed in a meeting isn't anything a phone call can't do. I get that there are times when meetings are needed....but for the most part I feel it's a great waste of time and effort.

Between Monday and Thursday this week, I spent nearly 22 hours sitting in meeting rooms. There are times when I like having meetings because they break up the day, but sometimes, man, I'd rather be face down in a toilet than in that meeting room. The worst cases are when there's awful communication and you end up having the exact same meeting basically 3 or 4 times with various people, or when leadership is so bad at composing a comprehensive email, you have to drag them into a room and get it out of them verbally through some archaic ritual.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
I pretty much don't go to any meetings anymore and it's great.  Sure sometimes they were nice to get a break from the daily grind, or needed when you needed these people all together to get something accomplished, but it's nice to not have to waste my time too.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2020 on: March 22, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
Disregard

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: March 22, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
So, some celebrity(?) I've never heard of posts online some pictures of herself in a bikini, gets some flack for having some cellulite, then hits back with "I don't care what others think of my figure." Then why the hell did you put pictures of your chubby, bikini-clad butt on the internet in the first place?

So in general the "I don't care what others think, but I am going to do something to actively invite the thoughts of others" mentality.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2022 on: March 22, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
So, some celebrity(?) I've never heard of posts online some pictures of herself in a bikini, gets some flack for having some cellulite, then hits back with "I don't care what others think of my figure." Then why the hell did you put pictures of your chubby, bikini-clad butt on the internet in the first place?

So in general the "I don't care what others think, but I am going to do something to actively invite the thoughts of others" mentality.

Translation:  I care only about favorable opinions and choose to regard those that are unfavorable as invalid.

I agree that this is infuriating.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
That isn't to grant a free pass to people who see pictures on the internet and feel compelled to post "OMG CELLULITE!"

On a related note... the massive overuse of the word "hater." Often applied in the context of my previous example.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2024 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
I dunno - I think someone posting in the comments of another person's picture about them having cellulite probably falls into the "hater" category.  And if the person who posted the picture was a friend of mine, I'd probably indeed tell them that they *shouldn't* care about such people's comments (easier said that done), much like I'd tell Mike Mangini not to care about some of the toll comments about him on DT's youtube or Facebook.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: March 22, 2019, 04:31:23 PM »
...much like I'd tell Mike Mangini not to care about some of the toll comments about him on DT's youtube or Facebook.

But that's a function of Mike's business. He creates music and presents songs/videos online for people to view, hopefully to gain more fans, who will go on to buy albums and concert tickets. If people slam the music and/or performance, that's part of the business. Some gal posting a picture of herself in swimwear is doing it solely for the attention. Which is fine, but don't do it for the attention, and then say you don't care about the attention when it makes you feel bad.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: March 22, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »
My two cents.  We've lost a bit of tact with the advent of the internet.   We feel free to say things to people we do not know because we are not face to face with them.

The world needs a little more tact again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: March 22, 2019, 04:58:03 PM »
I kind of see what Chris is saying and don't disagree, but I would be more likely to call the person calling out cellulite, a hater because if you want to criticize their looks or weight, there's better ways than just being a dick about it.  And let's not forget the person making such comments is also doing so for attention.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: March 22, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »
I kind of see what Chris is saying and don't disagree, but I would be more likely to call the person calling out cellulite, a hater because if you want to criticize their looks or weight, there's better ways than just being a dick about it.  And let's not forget the person making such comments is also doing so for attention.

Well said

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2029 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
Nice post cramx.  I agree with King as well.

I get what you're saying Chris, but just see it differently.  I don't think people posting pics of themselves should expect worship and adulation, but I have no issue with someone disregarding tactless troll comments.