Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307098 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1960 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »
Lead, follow, or get out of the way when on the highway. It's not that hard.

It is when another person drives like he or she owns the road.  Patience is a lost art these days.

I totally understand that.

Move over when it's safe to move over.

Yeah.  The problem with that is the asshole behind you doesn't care about your safety.  Just get the F out of his way.  Though I always get out of the way, I'm just going to do it safely.

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm not asking anyone to die for me to go five miles more.  I'm a reasonable guy.  I'm talking about the asshole with NO ONE in the middle or right lane just parked in the left lane, zoning out (or worse, texting) and thinking he's the only one on the planet.   

Worse is the person that, when I respectfully and without malice flick my lights, takes it as a full-on "FUCK YOU" and decides he's now been disrespected and has to chest up.  I got no time for that.  :)

You are the minority my good friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
In general I agree about moving over. The situation I hate being stuck in is when I'm in the left lane going 10 mph faster than the right and someone wants to pass me. But in order to get over, I'll need to slow way down and get stuck behind some of the slow cars, which will then take me several minutes to get an opening big enough in the left lane to get back over. All this only so the guy who wants to go faster can move up and get stuck behind the next car 30 feet ahead of me.

Yup, situational awareness, as someone who wants to pass the slower person, you also need to realize they might not be able to or it doesn't make sense for them to so you need to respect that.  Once they are clear, then it's back to move over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1962 on: March 19, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
The worst is when you are on a 2-lane highway, the car in the right lane is going 55, and you are stuck behind a truck with a full loaded trailer struggling to even go 60 because you are on a very slow incline that will last for two miles. :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1963 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:44 AM »
On a 2 lane or more highway, people who drive slow in the left lane and won't move over when others approach from behind who want to go faster. Drives me crazy. Move over! Left lanes are for faster traffic. Right lanes are for slower traffic. It's not hard to understand or apply.

ha, I get it :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1964 on: March 20, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
So I am at work, listening to music while I power through payroll.

Specifically listening to Home. Totally getting into it... and just as the vocals start, the phone rings. I pause the music, deal with the phone call, and then restart the song (Cuz I am anal like that).

As soon as I get to that point, the phone rings again. Again, I pause it, deal with bullshit, and then restart the song.

This has happened to me 4 times now :lol

JUST LET ME FOCUS AND FINISH THE DAMN SONG
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1965 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
Close your eyes and being to relax.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
I'm actually listening to the random "FM RADIO BROADCAST" thing that was being discussed on the DT side. So no "Regression". :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: March 20, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
So I am at work, listening to music while I power through payroll.

Specifically listening to Home. Totally getting into it... and just as the vocals start, the phone rings. I pause the music, deal with the phone call, and then restart the song (Cuz I am anal like that).

As soon as I get to that point, the phone rings again. Again, I pause it, deal with bullshit, and then restart the song.

This has happened to me 4 times now :lol

JUST LET ME FOCUS AND FINISH THE DAMN SONG

Man, this shit is like a magnet for attention. I would sit and work without interruptions for like an hour, then I'll decide "hey, it would be nice to listen to some music", so I plug my headphones, pick an album, start listening and you can bet in the next five minutes either the phone will ring or someone will have a question for me, or any other distracting shit will happen.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1968 on: March 20, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
I say it's green, and then you tell me it's red.

I respond that I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong.  You, however, are emphatic that you are right and refuse to admit even the tiniest possibility that you're wrong.

I then find a picture that shows it is, in fact, green, and you respond with, "oh, whatever, I don't really care."  Even worse is when I start to look for the picture and you try and stop me from looking up the picture.

This drives me up a fucking wall!  Unfortunately, my wife does this all the damn time.

A variant on this is when (typically on social media) someone says something dumb, gets called on it, and then tries to backpedal by saying, "I was clearly just joking."  No you weren't!  And even if you were, it wasn't the slightest bit funny!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1969 on: March 20, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »

I respond that I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong.  You, however, are emphatic that you are right and refuse to admit even the tiniest possibility that you're wrong.

I then find a picture that shows it is, in fact, green, and you respond with, "oh, whatever, I don't really care."  Even worse is when I start to look for the picture and you try and stop me from looking up the picture.

This drives me up a fucking wall!  Unfortunately, my wife does this all the damn time.

A variant on this is when (typically on social media) someone says something dumb, gets called on it, and then tries to backpedal by saying, "I was clearly just joking."  No you weren't!  And even if you were, it wasn't the slightest bit funny!

It took me a minute to realize you weren't just talking about Burning My Soul.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1970 on: March 20, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
It took me a minute to realize he wasn't talking about Stadler.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1971 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »

It took me a minute to realize you weren't just talking about Burning My Soul.

LOL....it seemed like an apt way to illustrate what I was talking about.

It took me a minute to realize he wasn't talking about Stadler.

LOL Part 2: Even More LOL Than the First One   :rollin :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1972 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
Couldn't be me. I never joke. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1973 on: March 20, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »

Really? So those few times I agreed with you.......you were......serious?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »

Challenge accepted!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1975 on: March 21, 2019, 12:50:45 AM »
Faster traffic doesn't mean 20 miles over the speed limit.

Doesn't matter.    It's common courtesy.  If I get a ticket it's on me.  It's far more dangerous for you (collective) to impede traffic and force other cars around you - which is what will happen - than it is for me to drive a car that's built to go double the speed limit on roads built to accommodate double the speed limit. 

Plus, if you want to throw the "law" out there, only Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina, and Ohio allow you to drive in the left lane even if not passing.  EVERY other state requires you to move over if there are faster cars EVEN IF THOSE CARS ARE GOING ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT (the standard is "normal flow of traffic", not "legal speed limit"). 

We've had this conversation before.   

Probably, and maybe I've said this already, but if I'm going 10 miles over the speed limit and you're still riding my ass, fuck you, I might just slow down. If you want to speed, drive around me. I'm already fucking speeding, asshole.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: March 21, 2019, 05:43:59 AM »

Doesn't matter.    It's common courtesy.  If I get a ticket it's on me.  It's far more dangerous for you (collective) to impede traffic and force other cars around you - which is what will happen - than it is for me to drive a car that's built to go double the speed limit on roads built to accommodate double the speed limit. 

Plus, if you want to throw the "law" out there, only Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina, and Ohio allow you to drive in the left lane even if not passing.  EVERY other state requires you to move over if there are faster cars EVEN IF THOSE CARS ARE GOING ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT (the standard is "normal flow of traffic", not "legal speed limit"). 

Probably, and maybe I've said this already, but if I'm going 10 miles over the speed limit and you're still riding my ass, fuck you, I might just slow down. If you want to speed, drive around me. I'm already fucking speeding, asshole.

If you did that in my State, you'd get ticketed by a patrolman for obstructing traffic. The Highway Patrol around here takes a very dim view of drivers who deliberately impede traffic.

Here is the law.

Relative quote:
2)   On a highway having more than one lane in the same direction, the operator of a vehicle traveling in the left general purpose lane:
(a)   shall, upon being overtaken by another vehicle in the same lane, yield to the overtaking vehicle by moving safely to a lane to the right; and
(b)   may not impede the movement or free flow of traffic in the left general purpose lane.
(3)   An operator of a vehicle traveling in the left general purpose lane that has a vehicle following directly behind the operator's vehicle at a distance so that less than two seconds elapse before reaching the location of the operator's vehicle when space is available for the operator to yield to the overtaking vehicle by traveling in the right-hand lane is prima facie evidence that the operator is violating Subsection (2).

So you see, by this law, the fact that another car is "riding your ass" is by default your violation for not getting out of his way regardless of speed.

Probably just another reason to not live in Utah, eh?  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1977 on: March 21, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
Wow! I love that law!

You can have 5 wives and ride up someone's ass? Utah rules!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1978 on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:56 AM »

I guess it all depends on what "riding my ass" means, but that kind of road rage is what gets people killed.  More and more I'm finding that "riding my ass" simply means "somewhere behind me and wanting to pass".  It's turned into a challenge and frankly, that's just the driving equivalent of being a keyboard warrior.   Why not be the bigger man and just move over?   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1979 on: March 21, 2019, 06:27:15 AM »

Nah. You're in the wrong in this case. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1980 on: March 21, 2019, 06:28:53 AM »
People that don't swallow their gum mildly infuriates me. Just had a one-on-one with my boss' boss, and right in the middle of me talking, he turns around, grabs tissues out of his desk, puts one to his mouth, spits his gum in it, crumples it up, gets up, walks across his office to the trash, and then throws it away.   

Just swallow the fucking thing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1981 on: March 21, 2019, 06:30:37 AM »
Do any adults still actually swallow gum?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:39 AM »
Swallow gum?  Never!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: March 21, 2019, 06:43:37 AM »
People that don't swallow their gum mildly infuriates me. Just had a one-on-one with my boss' boss, and right in the middle of me talking, he turns around, grabs tissues out of his desk, puts one to his mouth, spits his gum in it, crumples it up, gets up, walks across his office to the trash, and then throws it away.   

It stays in your stomach for seven years. 

I know for me, I stick it under the desk. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1984 on: March 21, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »
I think it's rude to turn away while you're talking, for sure.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1985 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:17 AM »
I think the appropriate thing to do would be to get rid of your gum before you're going to have a lengthy conversation with someone, especially one that was scheduled or planned ahead of time.

Expecting someone to swallow their gum is ridiculous.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: March 21, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
I spit, I don't swallow....

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: March 21, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
I chew gum a lot, and I can't name a time that the gum was so offensive and/or spent that I had to spit it out AT THAT MOMENT.   I can and have just tucked it into my lower lip until I could get to a men's room or outside to spit it out.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1988 on: March 21, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »

Bleh!!

I don't chew gum too much, but I can't even conceive of swallowing it.  If I am and, for whatever reason, feel that I shouldn't look like I'm chewing it, I just tuck it under my tongue until the situation changes.  On the other hand, if YOU come into MY office, then I'll do whatever the fuck I want.

One thing I do find mildly irritating (emphasis on "mildly") is when someone brings food or coffee into my office, finishes it, and then wants to throw it in my trash.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1989 on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:40 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me? I've been going as fast as 20 miles over the speed limit with an empty right lane and idiots will still ride my ass. I am in the fast lane driving fast. If you want to be reckless, you can drive around me. The lane is fucking empty.

I was on an empty 5 lane highway driving in the middle lane, and some asshole drives up on me, and starts flashing his brights. The road is still empty. So for the first time in my life I roll down the window and flip him the bird. He proceeds to pass me and sideswipe me, and hightail it. I then chased the motherfucker, scaring the shit out of my fiancee. When I finally caught up to him, he was clearly inebriated. Was I still supposed to change lanes in that case?

Online Adami

« Reply #1990 on: March 21, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »
I get your logic. I do. But how about this. You're driving on the right side of the street (since you're American) and some crazy person is driving toward you ALSO on the right side of the street. Do you move the hell out of the way? Or do you just keep doing what you're doing, because logically, THEY should be the one moving?

Point is, action reduces the chance of a problem, inaction increases it. It's more practical than logical in that sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
I think we are protecting bad behavior of drivers by allowing them to dictate the road.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1992 on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
But the guy not moving out of the way is also dictating the road.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1993 on: March 21, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
What's wrong with you people? So if I'm already violating traffic laws by driving faster than the speed limit, and some asshole drives up on me so close that I can see the boogers in their nose, it's somehow still my responsibility to move out of the way instead of the, I don't know, logical thing and said speeding asshole just drive around me? I've been going as fast as 20 miles over the speed limit with an empty right lane and idiots will still ride my ass. I am in the fast lane driving fast. If you want to be reckless, you can drive around me. The lane is fucking empty.

I was on an empty 5 lane highway driving in the middle lane, and some asshole drives up on me, and starts flashing his brights. The road is still empty. So for the first time in my life I roll down the window and flip him the bird. He proceeds to pass me and sideswipe me, and hightail it. I then chased the motherfucker, scaring the shit out of my fiancee. When I finally caught up to him, he was clearly inebriated. Was I still supposed to change lanes in that case?

Yes. You wouldn't have fucked up your car in the process had you done that.

Online Adami

« Reply #1994 on: March 21, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
I think we are protecting bad behavior of drivers by allowing them to dictate the road.

True, but that's also not our roles. Police are there for that. We can't pull someone for speeding and punish them. We can only REALLY piss them off. Not a wise move.
fanticide.bandcamp.com