Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 305091 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1925 on: March 07, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
We serve each other, because I just kind of feel like that's what families do, and it shouldn't be a biggie. 
For the most part this is how I feel. But there are times when my wife will say something like "I forgot my water downstairs, can you go get it for me?" when I'm in bed already and she's still up getting ready. Ummm....no. You can get it yourself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: March 07, 2019, 06:58:19 AM »
We serve each other, because I just kind of feel like that's what families do, and it shouldn't be a biggie. 
For the most part this is how I feel. But there are times when my wife will say something like "I forgot my water downstairs, can you go get it for me?" when I'm in bed already and she's still up getting ready. Ummm....no. You can get it yourself.

Yea, I think those extreme examples is what the irritating part is about.  Of course I have no issue helping a family member out with things when it makes more sense for me to do it, it's just the times where it makes more sense for the person asking to do it that I get irritated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1927 on: March 07, 2019, 07:38:32 AM »
I'm an A with a twist.

I get my own stuff, and will fetch/help out Dr. Wife, but everyone else gets a dose of G.O.M. "What? Are your legs painted on? Get it yourself."

Well, I'm talking about wives here (and now that they are in their 80's, my parents).    Kids?  "Dad, can you get me..."   GTFO.   It depends on the circumstances - because this is going to make me sound more of a dick than I am - even if it is a clear matter of convenience I'll make my kids get up and get what they want.  It's not about being "nice" at that point, it's teaching self-sufficience and getting them out of the habit of relying on others.   Again, you have to be there, but it's an issue with my stepson.  He'll be up in his room and yell down "Mom, can you get me some water?" and that cannot be the go-to move. 

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1928 on: March 07, 2019, 08:18:14 AM »

Overweight women who constantly complain about body shaming and how men won't give them a chance, yet wouldn't dare date an overweight man. Yeah, she can have standards, but how dare anyone else.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: March 07, 2019, 08:26:15 AM »

Overweight women who constantly complain about body shaming and how men won't give them a chance, yet wouldn't dare date an overweight man. Yeah, she can have standards, but how dare anyone else.

That was the "awesome" part of going back to the dating scene after my divorce. Some people - not all, and certainly not all who were were women - were just so oblivious and so un-self-aware.   In my case I always noticed the height thing.  "I'm tired of the players and jerks.  I just want a good man who will treat me right.   Oh, and no one under 6'0" need apply."   

:)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
 :lol yea the standards people set while dating is a good one.  There's lots of good memes I see about those on instagram.  The height thing always annoyed me too.  I guess I understand if the girl is really tall, but that wasn't always the case.  It's like so cut sometimes, "dont bother messaging me if you are under 6 foot" why do you shut the door so easily and alienate all the really good people out there, some of who might be perfect fit on so many levels, because they don't meet a height standard.  Whatever, my thought when I encountered that was "she's definitely not my type if she's setting a minimum standard"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1931 on: March 07, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »

That was the "awesome" part of going back to the dating scene after my divorce. Some people - not all, and certainly not all who were were women - were just so oblivious and so un-self-aware.   In my case I always noticed the height thing.  "I'm tired of the players and jerks.  I just want a good man who will treat me right.   Oh, and no one under 6'0" need apply."   

:)

That's when I laugh and say to myself "You sure it was your exes that were the jerks?" and also laugh and say "Looks like she's not finding anyone anytime soon".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1932 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
"I'm tired of the players and jerks.  I just want a good man who will treat me right."   

Nothing makes me cackle like a crazed hyena than hearing or seeing this line. It's an admission to being attracted to "players and jerks". They're supposedly *tired* of them because that's all they've been drawn to and you can bet they still are. I am not a player per se, because there's an element of lying to being one, and I have no respect for that, but when I honestly tell women I'm not looking for a relationship, that is when they are compelled to try and convert me. (although, I do run into some who genuinely don't want a relationship, either) This is why I tell my male friends who actually are looking for a relationship to simply keep their mouths shut early on. A woman having a man "all figured out" from the very get-go isn't a good thing. I don't care what they say. Their history speaks for itself.

As for the weight/body shaming issue, the next time a woman gives you the "beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes!!!!" angry rant, pull out a picture of John Goodman and ask her how "beautiful" he is.

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #1933 on: March 08, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
May have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but people who wear sunglasses indoors without a reason (headaches/light sensitivity, blindness, etc.) Not sure why, but it just screams douche to me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1934 on: March 08, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
A bit off topic, and maybe beyond the purview of the thread, but:

One of the most annoying types of videos on YouTube to me are all these psuedo-smart film analyst video essays that constantly get recommended to me for some reason. Most often with a click-baity title like "Why <insert beloved film here> Actually Sucks!".

I get that criticism is one thing, but more often than not these videos are by people who've never picked up a camera in their life and think they know better than professionals with decades of experience.

I may be speaking hypocritically on this, since I often give critiques of music on this board and have never written music myself. But these types of vids just annoy me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1935 on: March 08, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
May have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but people who wear sunglasses indoors without a reason (headaches/light sensitivity, blindness, etc.) Not sure why, but it just screams douche to me.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: March 09, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »

As for the weight/body shaming issue, the next time a woman gives you the "beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes!!!!" angry rant, pull out a picture of John Goodman and ask her how "beautiful" he is.

There's limits, of course, but weight has rarely ever been a deal-breaker issue for me (proportion, though, is).  I think Queen Latifah and Nicki Minaj are attractive women.  I find the odd shape of a Kim Kardashian to be, well, odd (though I can understand if you might say "what's the difference between Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj, but there is). 

As for sunglasses, sometimes I will wear them at night, but only so I can watch someone weave then breathe their story lines.  But only then. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1937 on: March 13, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
My car seems to lower the volume of the radio when I come to a red light, so if I am in the middle an awesome song, suddenly I can barely hear it and its super annoying . Any else ever experience this?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
Is that is a setting in your car's audio system, where it will increase the volume as you increase the speed to compensate for the louder car/ambient noise and decrease the sound when you come to a stop? If so, just turn that option off. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1939 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
My car seems to lower the volume of the radio when I come to a red light, so if I am in the middle an awesome song, suddenly I can barely hear it and its super annoying . Any else ever experience this?

That would be annoying as fuck.  There's probably some sort of "auto volume" option on your car stereo's menu.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1940 on: March 13, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
Well damn. I actually looked through the manual and found how to turn it off. Its apparently called the ASL feature (automatic sound leveler)

Solves that problem. The worst part about it was thinking I was going crazy when I first got the car  :lol

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1941 on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »
Well damn. I actually looked through the manual and found how to turn it off. Its apparently called the ASL feature (automatic sound leveler)

Solves that problem. The worst part about it was thinking I was going crazy when I first got the car  :lol

Its actually called the ASL (Automatic Sex-Appeal Leveler).  It levels your sex appeal to the cute girl in the convertible next to you at the red light, by lowering the volume of the progressive metal instrumental or growling vocals from your stereo.....both proven turn-off's with 99% of women.   ;)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »

That would be annoying as fuck.  There's probably some sort of "auto volume" option on your car stereo's menu.

When I bought my car and started messing around with the controls I turned that setting on out of curiosity. I ultimately forgot it was on so apparently either the effect is negligable or my ears didn't seem to care.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1943 on: March 13, 2019, 11:49:53 AM »

Its actually called the ASL (Automatic Sex-Appeal Leveler).  It levels your sex appeal to the cute girl in the convertible next to you at the red light, by lowering the volume of the progressive metal instrumental or growling vocals from your stereo.....both proven turn-off's with 99% of women.   ;)

:lol

I remember renting a car years ago that had that.  It actually worked pretty well and had, basically, the reverse of the effect Phoenix described.  I mean, yes, it did technically "lower" the volume when the car slowed or stopped.  But I had initially set the volume after putting in my music when the car was at a stop.  As I increased speed and the engine noise increased, it raised the volume by a commensurate amount so that I could still hear the music.  When I subsequently decreased speed or stopped to where the car was just idling, it decrease the volume back to where I had originally set it.  It worked nicely and I thought it was a cool feature.  I could see where it would be annoying if not calibrated properly, but that was not my experience.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1944 on: March 14, 2019, 04:08:09 AM »
Ok, this is only vaguely related to the conversation from earlier, but I thought I'd share this anyway.

If you're in a car/bus/vehicle trying to listen to music but it's drowned out by the sounds of the vehicle, here's what you do:

Go to your car/phone's EQ settings & check if there's a graphic EQ. If there is, completely turn down the lowest few frequencies. Now your music isn't trying to play the frequencies drowned out by the car, so you can turn it up louder without risking hearing damage. :yarr
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: March 16, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
Canned food cans that do not stack on top of each other. Some cans do, so it's not like some design impossibility. How many times have you put the beans and soup cans away in the pantry, tried to stack them to save space, and have them topple over? Or is it just me?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1946 on: March 16, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
New neighbors currently moving in the apartment directly below me. Out the window, I can already hear them yelling and arguing at each other...

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1947 on: March 16, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
In fairness, moving days are super stressful and bring out the worst in people.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1948 on: March 16, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
On a 2 lane or more highway, people who drive slow in the left lane and won't move over when others approach from behind who want to go faster. Drives me crazy. Move over! Left lanes are for faster traffic. Right lanes are for slower traffic. It's not hard to understand or apply.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1949 on: March 17, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Seeing Kinder Joy all over the place and not Kinder Surprise eggs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: March 18, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
On a 2 lane or more highway, people who drive slow in the left lane and won't move over when others approach from behind who want to go faster. Drives me crazy. Move over! Left lanes are for faster traffic. Right lanes are for slower traffic. It's not hard to understand or apply.

I feel so close to you right now. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1951 on: March 18, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
Faster traffic doesn't mean 20 miles over the speed limit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1952 on: March 18, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »

I feel so close to you right now.

Maybe you should move over, old man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: March 19, 2019, 03:50:29 AM »
Faster traffic doesn't mean 20 miles over the speed limit.

Doesn't matter.    It's common courtesy.  If I get a ticket it's on me.  It's far more dangerous for you (collective) to impede traffic and force other cars around you - which is what will happen - than it is for me to drive a car that's built to go double the speed limit on roads built to accommodate double the speed limit. 

Plus, if you want to throw the "law" out there, only Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina, and Ohio allow you to drive in the left lane even if not passing.  EVERY other state requires you to move over if there are faster cars EVEN IF THOSE CARS ARE GOING ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT (the standard is "normal flow of traffic", not "legal speed limit"). 

We've had this conversation before.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1954 on: March 19, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
Exactly.

I mean, maybe the guy speeding is being an asshole.

Maybe he's running late to his kid's bus stop. Maybe his parent is dying and he's rushing to the hospital.

I try to operate by giving the benefit of the doubt. I move over.

...but usually, I'm the one speeding. ;D

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1955 on: March 19, 2019, 06:14:40 AM »
In general I agree about moving over. The situation I hate being stuck in is when I'm in the left lane going 10 mph faster than the right and someone wants to pass me. But in order to get over, I'll need to slow way down and get stuck behind some of the slow cars, which will then take me several minutes to get an opening big enough in the left lane to get back over. All this only so the guy who wants to go faster can move up and get stuck behind the next car 30 feet ahead of me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1956 on: March 19, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
I totally understand that.

Move over when it's safe to move over.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1957 on: March 19, 2019, 06:27:09 AM »

Yeah.  The problem with that is the asshole behind you doesn't care about your safety.  Just get the F out of his way.  Though I always get out of the way, I'm just going to do it safely.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:27 AM »

Yeah.  The problem with that is the asshole behind you doesn't care about your safety.  Just get the F out of his way.  Though I always get out of the way, I'm just going to do it safely.

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm not asking anyone to die for me to go five miles more.  I'm a reasonable guy.  I'm talking about the asshole with NO ONE in the middle or right lane just parked in the left lane, zoning out (or worse, texting) and thinking he's the only one on the planet.   

Worse is the person that, when I respectfully and without malice flick my lights, takes it as a full-on "FUCK YOU" and decides he's now been disrespected and has to chest up.  I got no time for that.  :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1959 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
Lead, follow, or get out of the way when on the highway. It's not that hard.