Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307681 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1750 on: December 20, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
When you make a Dr. appt, and they give you the standard "Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment."

So when I get there, I will give my name and you will tell me to take a seat and the doctor will see me shortly, and I'll end up waiting for those 15 minutes.  >:(

You're lucky. I'm used to "arrive 15-30 minutes early" and then I see the doctor about an hour after my scheduled time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1751 on: December 20, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »

Friends not paying you back.

My friend owed me about $160 for the Metallica ticket for the show we went to back in September.  The event comes and he asks to pay him back next week.  Slowly he stops talking to me, but still talks to my other friends.  Essentially acts like he doesn't know me but with everyone else, all is normal.  He mentions a couple sporadic time that he hasn't forgotten to pay me back directly though, so I guess to keep me in check.  Anyway, finally just asked in our group chat if he was going to pay me back and stop ignoring me and he did immediately.  I'm glad he paid me, but geeze why do you have to hunt down your own friends?  Or why do you only listen when I publicly make it aware?  I know everyone's got their issues and money may be one of them, but just be open with me about it.  The first convo he was open saying he was struggling and just paid off his car and so and so, ever since then it's just ignore so that makes it seem like the money is more important than friendship.  I kind of don't feel the same about this guy anymore.

I can sing a few bars of that tune!

A friend of nearly 30 years used to be bad about this (he would always pay, but it would take months), so I stopped asking him to go to concerts (and we don't hang out much anymore anyway).  It's like, I shouldn't have to remind you that you owe me money.  It's the principle of the matter and it does make you feel differently about someone.

I hate owing people money or people owing me money.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1752 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
When you make a Dr. appt, and they give you the standard "Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment."

So when I get there, I will give my name and you will tell me to take a seat and the doctor will see me shortly, and I'll end up waiting for those 15 minutes.  >:(

If I were told to arrive early and then made to wait, I'd be PISSED, but the only time I've ever been told to arrive early is if I'm a new patient, and the idea of arriving early is to fill out all of the various paperwork.  I don't have any problem with that.

I do, however, have a problem with sitting around waiting and waiting and waiting.  I get that things can sometimes get out of whack, but (a) if you're running significantly behind, call and let me know; and (b) if I'm there for a scheduled appointment, I shouldn't be made to wait more than 15 minutes without some sort of explanation.  After all, if I showed up 45 minutes late, you can sure as shit bet that the doctor is going to try and bill me for making him/her wait.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
I hate owing people money or people owing me money.

Same, I really feel bad asking for money and will only do it if its kind of necessary and if its a good friend that I know won't feel awkward about throwing me a few bucks. Anyway, another friend of mine said he thinks the guy felt bad about owing money and inadvertently was just shying away.  I don't know if I believe it or not, maybe.  I won't be lending him any money or asking him to go to a concert again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1754 on: December 21, 2018, 07:09:49 AM »
Money; some of it is rhythm, though.  Maybe I'm lucky and I have great friends, but with one exception - and he's not a mooch, he's just fucking broke and has been for the better part of 30 years - we have come to a great sort of long-view on money.    We try our best to pay back immediately, but if it doesn't happen, we try to make sure it all evens out at the end.   When I went to Bruce a couple weeks ago, one of my friends walked up and just bought three train tickets.  Boom.  So I mentally noted that "first two rounds are on me" when we get there.   It didn't work out - i didn't do much drinking standing on the sidewalk in NYC for four and a half fucking hours, haha - but inside I was like "you guys want a drink?", and that didn't happen either - they DID drink during the four and a half fucking hours I stood on the sidewalk in NYC, haha - so finally on the way home, I flipped him $40.  If I didn't, it wouldn't have mattered one bit, but somehow somewhere it would have evened out.   That's not $160, I grant you, but I think the other guy is wrong not for not paying (though that) but moreso for being a dick about it and pretending it doesn't exist.  If you don't have the $160 beans, talk and work it out.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: December 21, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »
Yea but that's how I am with a lot of my close friends who I trust.  This guy isn't a close friend and we don't have that type of relationship where some money can fly either direction and we both know we are good for it. 

Im going to a concert tonight with a friend, he had an extra ticket and said I can have it.  I'm going to guess he may reject me handing him 30 bucks tonight but he will gladly accept me buying him a few rounds and vice versa I've done that when bringing friends to concerts as well, just buy me a few beers (a value close but maybe slightly under the tickets) and call it even.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1756 on: December 24, 2018, 06:07:08 AM »

Only 15 minutes.  Usually they're late as shit, and I wait 20-30 minutes AFTER the scheduled appointment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1757 on: December 24, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »

My Dr Office flat out tells me to just be there on the nose, and then they check me in. None of this "arrive early to check in" shit. lmao.

I still waited 35 minutes to see her.

Only 15 minutes.  Usually they're late as shit, and I wait 20-30 minutes AFTER the scheduled appointment.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1758 on: December 29, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
The use of "they" as a pronoun for a trans/non-binary/etc single person. I have no problem with a person identifying as they wish, but "they" is plural damn it. It should not be used when describing a single person.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1759 on: December 29, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
The use of "they" as a pronoun for a trans/non-binary/etc single person. I have no problem with a person identifying as they wish, but "they" is plural damn it. It should not be used when describing a single person.

Problem is a lack of gender neutral singular pronouns that aren't brand new. If someone identified as Ze, Sie, etc, people generally mock that.

They, them, etc. while plural, are also gender neutral.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1760 on: December 29, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
You know what I fucking hate? People that drive with a dog on their lap! :censored

WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1761 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »

Problem is a lack of gender neutral singular pronouns that aren't brand new. If someone identified as Ze, Sie, etc, people generally mock that.

Yeah, I get that. There's honestly no solution that isn't annoying to some degree. "They" may be the least awful solution, but it still throws me every time I hear someone referred to as they and then need to take a split second to realize they're only talking about one person. It just sounds so wrong used in that context. The nice thing about the other made-up pronouns of ze, etc is that they don't have another meaning.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1762 on: December 30, 2018, 12:32:32 PM »

Yeah, I get that. There's honestly no solution that isn't annoying to some degree. "They" may be the least awful solution, but it still throws me every time I hear someone referred to as they and then need to take a split second to realize they're only talking about one person. It just sounds so wrong used in that context. The nice thing about the other made-up pronouns of ze, etc is that they don't have another meaning.

https://goo.gl/images/4KATA1
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: January 01, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »

I'm sorry if it sounds insensitive, or worse, '-phobic', but even though I largely agree with you (I have a similar, though not exactly the same, beef with using "myself"), I'm using "they" before I use any made-up, nonsense word that only serves to highlight the differences (as opposed to promoting unity).  Tolerance is a two-way street sometimes.  (Anyone tell I just woke up from a long nap?)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1764 on: January 01, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »

Didn't you just use it to describe a single person?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1765 on: January 01, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »

Wow! Mind=blown!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1766 on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:58 AM »

Haha... I guess I did. Thinking about it now, I do use they sometimes instead of saying "he or she" when what I'm referring to a generic person of either sex. It's more in the context of "Susie went to the store", "She went to the store", or "They went to the store". The third option is clearly talking about multiple people based on the standard usage of they, however now that usage can refer to a single person. I just find it mildly irritating is all. That being said, I would try my best to use a person's pronoun of choice if I was frequently speaking about someone who didn't identify as he or she.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1767 on: January 03, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
My family is friends with a family that owns one of the largest fuel distributors in this region of the US. We all went out for dinner last night and I had to listen to the owner go completely off on the idea of raising the minimum wage to $12-$15. He went on and on about how "Nobody has any idea what that kind of an increase would do to our business". The guy who said that has bought three new Lamborghinis since 2005. They're all nice and warm in one of the two three-car garages that are attached to his 5200 square foot house. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1768 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:20 AM »

This is probably my single greatest pet peeve, but it's a grammar thing.  I don't encounter many/any people who are ambiguous about their genders or who are pretending to be the opposite gender, so that's not really an issue (although I did watch an episode of some sitcom a while back that was joking about the newly invented gender ambiguous pronouns, and I read a bit about that).  My daughter does this a lot when telling us stories:  "I was talking to my friend at lunch, and they said blah blah blah."  I pretty much always stop her at that point and say something like, "are you saying that you don't know this friend's gender"?  It happens with corporations and LLCs also:  "I bought a phone from Big Conglomerate, Inc., and their customer service is just terrible."  People seem to have some aversion to using "it" and "its," and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1769 on: January 03, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
When in doubt, I would just use their proper name instead. Or preferred name for that matter.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1770 on: January 03, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
I don't encounter many/any people who are ambiguous about their genders or who are pretending to be the opposite gender

Excuse me?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1771 on: January 03, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
I don't encounter many/any people who are ambiguous about their genders or who are pretending to be the opposite gender

Excuse me?

I don't understand your question.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1772 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Pretending to be the opposite gender?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
My family is friends with a family that owns one of the largest fuel distributors in this region of the US. We all went out for dinner last night and I had to listen to the owner go completely off on the idea of raising the minimum wage to $12-$15. He went on and on about how "Nobody has any idea what that kind of an increase would do to our business". The guy who said that has bought three new Lamborghinis since 2005. They're all nice and warm in one of the two three-car garages that are attached to his 5200 square foot house.

Look, you and I usually are at least pointing in the same direction if not in firm agreement on matters like these, but I feel obligated to point  out that knocking wages from $15 to $10 is not how he's paying for those Lambos.   Or more correctly, the relationship isn't a direct one.   First, the bump isn't just "a few dollars an hour".   It's that times 1.5, or more, as you factor in benefits, taxes, etc.   It's also across 2080 hours a year, before overtime, and again, times the number of employees.   Then you have the cost of fronting the wages on a weekly or biweekly basis, while the Accounts Receivable are still stuck somewhere between 30 and 60 days (not counting the residential cash transactions).   Then you have the factor of proactively paying these wages, while having to retroactively react to fluctuations in supply prices, which is a pass-through, but will also impact the frequency and amounts of purchases made.   

I don't say this to argue with you or to tell you you're wrong; you are certainly a smart guy and entitled to your reasoned opinion.  I'm really pushing back more on the notion that there is some moral obligation to do without as a by-product of government intervention. If that guy wanted to he could proactively trade in the Lambo for a Hyundai and pay the wages, but he's not and I don't at all think government should  be making him do that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1774 on: January 03, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »

Yup.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1775 on: January 03, 2019, 11:23:01 AM »

Yup.

This is text. I didn’t not hear you properly. Cause we were talking about transgender people. Not people pretending to be the opposite gender.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1776 on: January 03, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »

Look, you and I usually are at least pointing in the same direction if not in firm agreement on matters like these, but I feel obligated to point  out that knocking wages from $15 to $10 is not how he's paying for those Lambos.   Or more correctly, the relationship isn't a direct one.   First, the bump isn't just "a few dollars an hour".   It's that times 1.5, or more, as you factor in benefits, taxes, etc.   It's also across 2080 hours a year, before overtime, and again, times the number of employees.   Then you have the cost of fronting the wages on a weekly or biweekly basis, while the Accounts Receivable are still stuck somewhere between 30 and 60 days (not counting the residential cash transactions).   Then you have the factor of proactively paying these wages, while having to retroactively react to fluctuations in supply prices, which is a pass-through, but will also impact the frequency and amounts of purchases made.   

I don't say this to argue with you or to tell you you're wrong; you are certainly a smart guy and entitled to your reasoned opinion.  I'm really pushing back more on the notion that there is some moral obligation to do without as a by-product of government intervention. If that guy wanted to he could proactively trade in the Lambo for a Hyundai and pay the wages, but he's not and I don't at all think government should  be making him do that.

With that logic, why have any minimum wage at all then then?

And my point was really more emphasizing the fact this this guy was talking as if raising the minimum wage would basically make his family homeless, when in reality, the guy might have had to settle for two lambos intstead of three, and maybe live in a measly 4600 square feet of house instead. I get the argument when it comes from people with small business that are barely scraping by, but his family made more money in the last 5 years than I am likely to see in my life time. And the guy hardly has any employees making minimum wage as it is. Most of his payroll is on the accounting, legal, and transportation end. He has no front facing retail establishment. I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm saying it's irritating.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: January 03, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Yea I can see that based on maybe how he acts when discussing such things.  Like if he is coming off super greedy then it would irritate me too.  I'm not even talking about the economics, just if your attitude is poor it's going to annoy people and if its poor about money when you are filthy rich then that really is going to bug people.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1778 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
Yea I can see that based on maybe how he acts when discussing such things.  Like if he is coming off super greedy then it would irritate me too.  I'm not even talking about the economics, just if your attitude is poor it's going to annoy people and if its poor about money when you are filthy rich then that really is going to bug people.

The dude has an indoor and an outdoor pool, and I don't mean two different pools. I mean he has a room with a pool in it (usable year round), and you can swim under the wall to the pool outside. In the winter they put a 3" thick piece of bullet proof glass in the gap to divide the freezing water outside from the warm water inside.  It's crazy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1779 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
Oh, wow.  That's pretty cool!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1780 on: January 03, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »

The dude has an indoor and an outdoor pool, and I don't mean two different pools. I mean he has a room with a pool in it (usable year round), and you can swim under the wall to the pool outside. In the winter they put a 3" thick piece of bullet proof glass in the gap to divide the freezing water outside from the warm water inside.  It's crazy.

Poor guy can't afford two pools? :(

Also sounds like from Last Action Hero, the Italian mafia boss guy's pool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1781 on: January 03, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
This isn't the exact room (I don't have a pic), but this is the idea. His indoor room is actually way nicer and the outdoor pool is much larger. His entire wall doesn't open up like the one in the pic below though (peasant). It's glass, but you can't turn it into a big opening. You actually have to go completely underwater to get outside. The interior pool room has a full kitchen and bar in it as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1782 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
And you don't think that's a pretty cool thing to have?  I don't see why it's a problem that he has that, just because you or I will likely never be able to afford something like that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1783 on: January 03, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
And you don't think that's a pretty cool thing to have?  I don't see why it's a problem that he has that, just because you or I will likely never be able to afford something like that.

It's fucking awesome. But don't say to people like me sentences such as "People don't understand what a minimum wage increase would do to our business" if this is the lifestyle you live. I know a business owner with a dozen or so employees that drives a 2002 Chevy Lumina because she's barely keeping her head above water. She'd have the right to say something like that, and I wouldn't be irritated. But coming out of the mouth of someone with three Lamorghinis (and several other daily drivers), what I'd consider a mansion, and an indoor/outdoor pool just gets under my skin a bit.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1784 on: January 03, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

Yup.

This is text. I didn’t not hear you properly.

Ummm...

Cause we were talking about transgender people. Not people pretending to be the opposite gender.

"We"?  I was responding to "lordxizor's" comment, and I think any further comment would push this into the realm of political discussion, so I'll refrain.