Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307052 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1435 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:31 PM »
You beat me.  Entitlement was my word of choice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: September 12, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »
Yea, that's just being full of yourself too. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1437 on: September 12, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
It's one thing to be and act "entitled," but it was the audacity to turn this into a "sexism" thing that really took the cake for me.

Reminds me of a guy that my sister used to date.  He had a Ph.D ... in philosophy ... and actually had "Dr. [name]" printed on his personal checks.  I see this a lot with lawyers who insist on using "Esq." after their names.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: September 12, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
That would be like being the conductor of the policemen's benevolent association orchestra and demanding people call you "Maestro."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: September 12, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
I don't think putting Dr on your checks is a big deal, it's when you expect someone who doesn't know you to call you Dr that it becomes too much and agreed that then taking the sexist route to explain things only makes it worse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1440 on: September 12, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
On that note, in a year or so, I will be reporting everyone who doesn't call me doctor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1441 on: September 12, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »
That would be like being the conductor of the policemen's benevolent association orchestra and demanding people call you "Maestro."

*golf clap*

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1442 on: September 12, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
It's one thing to be and act "entitled," but it was the audacity to turn this into a "sexism" thing that really took the cake for me.

Reminds me of a guy that my sister used to date.  He had a Ph.D ... in philosophy ... and actually had "Dr. [name]" printed on his personal checks.  I see this a lot with lawyers who insist on using "Esq." after their names.

Which I have only done a total of about four times (and every one was when I was acting, as I can in my state, as an Officer of the Court (essentially serving as a Notary Public)). 

Online Adami

« Reply #1443 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
Have we moved on from the story and are saying that only MDs should be called doctor?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: September 12, 2018, 09:18:24 PM »
Have we moved on from the story and are saying that only MDs should be called doctor?

I wouldn't say that, if I didn't know someone was an MD, it would be no different IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1445 on: September 13, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »

I'm certainly not saying that.  However, it was part of the story since at least one of the twitter replies to the woman's initial tweet said essentially that only medical doctors should be called "doctor."  I disagree and don't think it's particularly relevant to the story because the airline employee obviously didn't know what degree this woman had.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1446 on: September 13, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
This is probably as good a place as any for this:  https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/passenger-with-phd-ripped-for-insisting-airline-call-her-doctor/

In a nutshell, a woman with a Ph.D in something (but the point is that she isn't a medical doctor) got bent because a flight attendant referred to her as "Miss" instead of "Doctor" and tweeted about it, saying that she "did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss."  In response to the inevitable backlash she got, she tried to pretend that her tweet really "was about highlighting one of a thousand instances of sexism that women encounter every day" and speculated "that this wouldn’t have happened if I was [sic] a man."

Are you kidding me, lady?!  The only thing I'll concede is that, if the airline is going to require that you input a "title" when making a reservation, they ought to use whatever title you select (it reminds me of a comedian I once heard talking about something like this and who said something about wanting to be called "field marshal" or something like that).

I could be probably very wrong and out of place, but I can't shake the feeling that, had that happened before the advent of Twitter - i.e. the possibility to instantly bitch and moan to the universal ear - , the lady (who needs a serious stroll through humility lane anyway) would have just frowned a bit, shrugged, and forgotten about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1447 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
There are idiots and elitists in every profession.  I have no problem going out of my way to use somebody's title.  If they have done whatever it takes to earn it, I feel like they deserve to have it used, and I am more than happy to pay them the respect due for that by referring to them as "doctor," "your honor," "Officer," "Colonel," "Mr. President," or whatever.  But that doesn't mean they have the right to demand it either.  Most (but not all) of the time, if someone feels the need to demand that someone refer to them by a title, they aren't personally worthy of the amount of respect they believe is due them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1448 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:15 AM »
The way Colonel is spelled vs pronounced mildly irritates me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1449 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:32 AM »
This is probably as good a place as any for this:  https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/passenger-with-phd-ripped-for-insisting-airline-call-her-doctor/

In a nutshell, a woman with a Ph.D in something (but the point is that she isn't a medical doctor) got bent because a flight attendant referred to her as "Miss" instead of "Doctor" and tweeted about it, saying that she "did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss."  In response to the inevitable backlash she got, she tried to pretend that her tweet really "was about highlighting one of a thousand instances of sexism that women encounter every day" and speculated "that this wouldn’t have happened if I was [sic] a man."

Are you kidding me, lady?!  The only thing I'll concede is that, if the airline is going to require that you input a "title" when making a reservation, they ought to use whatever title you select (it reminds me of a comedian I once heard talking about something like this and who said something about wanting to be called "field marshal" or something like that).

I could be probably very wrong and out of place, but I can't shake the feeling that, had that happened before the advent of Twitter - i.e. the possibility to instantly bitch and moan to the universal ear - , the lady (who needs a serious stroll through humility lane anyway) would have just frowned a bit, shrugged, and forgotten about it.

We'll never know, but I think that's a reasonable supposition.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »

:lol true

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1451 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

There's a kernel of truth to that, though I thought that tough folks would get through things like that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
Jeopardy, when the contestants shorten the topic and the money.   Like, if the category was "Dream Theater Forum Studs" and they go "Dream 400".    Drives me crazy.  Mildly. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1453 on: September 13, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
Jeopardy, when the contestants shorten the topic and the money.   Like, if the category was "Dream Theater Forum Studs" and they go "Dream 400".    Drives me crazy.  Mildly.

Like, if the category was "Dream Theater Forum Studs".  :lol

As if..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
the category was "Dream Theater Forum Studs" and they go "Dream 400"

What is cramx3?  :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1455 on: September 13, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »
There are idiots and elitists in every profession.  I have no problem going out of my way to use somebody's title.  If they have done whatever it takes to earn it, I feel like they deserve to have it used, and I am more than happy to pay them the respect due for that by referring to them as "doctor," "your honor," "Officer," "Colonel," "Mr. President," or whatever.  But that doesn't mean they have the right to demand it either.  Most (but not all) of the time, if someone feels the need to demand that someone refer to them by a title, they aren't personally worthy of the amount of respect they believe is due them.

This is how I feel about this in most cases. If you want to be called something, I'm happy to agree to it, but if you demand it, I'll still do it, but I'll lose a lot of respect I had associated with you via that title.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:33:54 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1456 on: September 14, 2018, 06:12:48 AM »

*golf clap*

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1457 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
The terms "content creators" and "creatives".  These are two buzzwords in my industry that need to die in a fire.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1458 on: September 14, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
the category was "Dream Theater Forum Studs" and they go "Dream 400"

What is cramx3?  :metal

That's a good question.  But let's keep it on topic and start a new thread for "unanswerable mysteries of the universe" if you really feel you need an answer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1459 on: September 14, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
This isn't so much irritating as it is baffling to me.

It just makes no sense why folks want these on their cars.

Online Adami

« Reply #1460 on: September 14, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
To memorialize a loved one? Seems very self-explanatory even if you don't share their beliefs/etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1461 on: September 14, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
On related note, people writing on deceased's social media account. Like why? A month ago my girlfriend's colleague died in car accident and we saw some posts on her Facebook profile (before it was deactivated). All of those were loving posts about her but still, why? It's not the time or place. If you're that big of a friend go to the funereal, give you condolences and comfort to the family, help them. That, to me, is really rude and stupid.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1462 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
To memorialize a loved one? Seems very self-explanatory even if you don't share their beliefs/etc.

Agreed.  I see no issue with that at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: September 14, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »

Everyone grieves in their own way.  I don't personally go in for that (nor the "celebratory" tattoos) but it's consoling to many.  A girl in their neighborhood died tragically in a fire, and so my stepson and stepdaughter both have tattoos in her  memory.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1464 on: September 14, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »

Everyone grieves in their own way.  I don't personally go in for that (nor the "celebratory" tattoos) but it's consoling to many.  A girl in their neighborhood died tragically in a fire, and so my stepson and stepdaughter both have tattoos in her  memory.

I guess.  Maybe it's just me.  I couldn't even conceive of doing this (and don't have enough window space for all of my deceased immediate family members).  I don't even visit graves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1465 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
I rarely do so.  But a lot of my family is buried in the same cemetery as Wyatt Earp, so that's pretty cool.  :huckleberry:

Online Adami

« Reply #1466 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »
I rarely do so.  But a lot of my family is buried in the same cemetery as Wyatt Earp, so that's pretty cool.  :huckleberry:

Really? Woah. That's pretty cool.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
I have never visited a grave in my life, except for times I was with my wife and we were visiting those of her family members that I've never met.

Her aunt, who is still alive, already has her gravestone in the mother*cking ground by her husband who is actually dead and 6 feet under. :Last time I visited them we went to their gravesite. Who in the blue hell would want to see THEIR OWN GRAVESTONE in the ground?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1468 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
Eh, wouldn't really bother me one way or the other.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
On related note, people writing on deceased's social media account. Like why? A month ago my girlfriend's colleague died in car accident and we saw some posts on her Facebook profile (before it was deactivated). All of those were loving posts about her but still, why? It's not the time or place. If you're that big of a friend go to the funereal, give you condolences and comfort to the family, help them. That, to me, is really rude and stupid.

I have my login and password for DTF written down so that in case I suddenly die somehow, my best friend will be able to let you guys know that I didn't just suddenly disappear for no reason.

I think one FB post from a deceased person is fine, where his/her friend informs their followers that this person passed away. After that though, yeah, better leave that account as it was.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.