Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307171 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1400 on: August 24, 2018, 12:57:15 AM »
People who capitalise Completely random And inappropriate words in Their sentences.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1401 on: August 24, 2018, 01:58:53 AM »
People who capitalise Completely random And inappropriate words in Their sentences.

Have you ever read anything in German?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1402 on: August 24, 2018, 03:36:36 AM »
Have you ever read anything in German?
Unable to.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1403 on: August 24, 2018, 04:28:45 AM »
Well, in German every single Noun is capitalised, because they are considered Names, like Names of People would get a capital first Letter, so you get these Sentences with a Lot of Words capitalised.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1404 on: August 24, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for that (when reading english) but I've seen more than just nouns capitalised at times. In the future I will know who might simply be German and who is just an idiot. :laugh:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1405 on: August 24, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
If you're a defensive back in the NFL with your hair down to your ass, you should at least not suck.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1406 on: September 06, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
There are at least 2 people where I work who sit in their cars during lunch with the engine running and the AC on.  The fuel wasted while i sit idling at a red light bothers me.  I couldn't imagine doing that, especially considering the additional engine wear.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1407 on: September 06, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »

People who use "they" and "them" to refer to individuals of known gender.  THERE IS JUST NO FUCKING EXCUSE!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: September 06, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »
The fact that NFL season starts tonight, and the main topics of discussion seem to be:

* Colin Kaepernick
* La'Vean Bell
* CTE
* Kneeling during the anthem
* Which players to start on your fantasy team
* Which teams to bet on
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1409 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
The fact that NFL season starts tonight, and the main topics of discussion seem to be:

* Colin Kaepernick
* La'Vean Bell
* CTE
* Kneeling during the anthem
* Which players to start on your fantasy team
* Which teams to bet on

Well...let's see...

Kaepernick/Anthem...beyond don't care.
Bell...don't care (not my team).
CTE...don't care (they know the risks).
Fantasy...I care for the five minutes or less to figure it out.
Betting...don't care (although I did bet a lunch with a work acquaintance on the outcome of the Steelers v. Broncos game in November).

I don't really even care about the game tonight since I won't be home to watch it.  I'll start caring about the actual games on Sunday morning (at which point I'll probably whine a little about how the Rams and Chargers moving to Los Angeles is causing the networks to show games I don't care about).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1410 on: September 08, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
People who put ketchup on their breakfast sandwiches or eggs. What kind of monsters are you?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1411 on: September 08, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
People who put ketchup on their breakfast sandwiches or eggs. What kind of monsters are you?

Ketchup on scrambled eggs is good.

The window fly traps I have on the garage door work great, but lately antlions have been landing on them, and that both frustrates and saddens me because I like those bugs. Fortunately no Mantids have met their doom that way, but you typically don't see them flying around too often. The weird part about the antlions is I've been here 2 years now and haven't seen a single pit. Where are they coming from?! They have to be close by.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1412 on: September 09, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »

Oh dear god... I literally just had a Costco egg sammich 2 minutes ago, and for the first time in a long time, decided to put ketchup on it.  Spooky
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1413 on: September 09, 2018, 06:52:35 AM »
Is "salt/pepper/ketchup" a common thing around the country or is it just New York City area centric? You get asked that after ordering any breakfast sandwich around here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1414 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:27 AM »
Not on sandwiches.   I can't use salt but I do use pepper.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1415 on: September 10, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
Mildly irritating?  That Verizon commercial where the dude strolls up to the picnic and asks the people what kind of music they want, and of course, they're all hipsters and say cool AF things like "EDM" and "bubble trance", and the girl who's about 12 says "reggaeton", then at the end the hipster spokesperson tells her to go put on the reggaeton and says "the old stuff, not the new stuff!". 

I'm not an expert on that genre, but wasn't the "old stuff" pretty controversial due to it's lyrical content and general subject matter?  Wasn't it almost banned by the government?  The irritating part is the striving to be SO hipster cool at the expense of all else.   Just once I'd love for a commercial like this to say "so what do you listen to?" and have someone say, honestly and not at all ironically, "Aerosmith dude.  All you need to know; simple, sweet, to the point."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1416 on: September 10, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
The window fly traps I have on the garage door work great, but lately antlions have been landing on them, and that both frustrates and saddens me because I like those bugs. Fortunately no Mantids have met their doom that way, but you typically don't see them flying around too often. The weird part about the antlions is I've been here 2 years now and haven't seen a single pit. Where are they coming from?! They have to be close by.

WTF is an antlion?!  Sounds like some abomination from the Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (and yeah, I could google it, but I don't want to).

Mildly irritating?  That Verizon commercial where the dude strolls up to the picnic and asks the people what kind of music they want, and of course, they're all hipsters and say cool AF things like "EDM" and "bubble trance", and the girl who's about 12 says "reggaeton", then at the end the hipster spokesperson tells her to go put on the reggaeton and says "the old stuff, not the new stuff!". 

I'm not an expert on that genre, but wasn't the "old stuff" pretty controversial due to it's lyrical content and general subject matter?  Wasn't it almost banned by the government?  The irritating part is the striving to be SO hipster cool at the expense of all else.   Just once I'd love for a commercial like this to say "so what do you listen to?" and have someone say, honestly and not at all ironically, "Aerosmith dude.  All you need to know; simple, sweet, to the point."

"Reggaeton" is a real thing?  I just assumed all the stuff they were saying was made up (other than hip-hop, which I only wish were made up).  Anyway...who the hell responds to a question like that by naming a genre?  If someone were to ask me that question, I'd respond with a band name or an album name.  Also, I pretty much hate every one of that series of Verizon commercials.

My entry for today is when the same 4-6 commercials get played during EVERY SINGLE commercial break.  This is particularly bad with Dodger games.  For those of you not in Southern California, there has been a long running issue as a result of the Dodger home games being broadcast on a dedicated channel that is only available through one service provider.  As a result, a huge chunk of the area can't watch Dodger games, and I assume that is causing some difficulty finding advertising for the games.  So, pretty much EVERY commercial break, we get a commercial for Tommy's (burgers), Hannah the dashboard hula girl (Honda), Carl's Jr., and some home renovation outlet (or something)...over and over and over and over....

Speaking of Carl's Jr., who is the advertising genius who decided that it would make a good commercial to have some dude mumble singing "western," "bacon," "cheese" and "burger" over and over randomly??!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1417 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »
I was driving today. I'm in the middle lane and need to get in the left lane so i can make a turn. There was plenty of space between me and the person behind me in the lane I was getting in to, but the second that I turn my turn signal on, the guy actually speeds up to close gap. Like wtf?

Like I'm stealing his lane or invading his territory or something. I took the lane regardless 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1418 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
When you go to Cold Stone and they make your ice cream, but then they scrape up what could easily be another 2 or 3 bites worth of ice cream left on the stone...and THROW IT AWAY.  Come on, man!  It takes precisely zero additional effort to wipe it off the scraper and into my ice cream cup instead of into the trash.  Or just pass the scraper over the counter and let me lick it!  But DON'T WASTE THE ICE CREAM!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1419 on: September 11, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
Wow! That is just not right.

I've never been to Cold Stone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1420 on: September 11, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
Why am I not surprised?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1421 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
 :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1422 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:40 AM »
Damn man, that's cold. Stone cold.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1423 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Puts me in a deep freeze.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1424 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
I scream whenever I hear stories like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1425 on: September 11, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
I scream whenever I hear stories like that.

Don't you just want to "stun" TAC? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1426 on: September 11, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Wow! That is just not right.

I've never been to Cold Stone.

What about Marble Slab?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1427 on: September 11, 2018, 05:12:58 PM »

WTF is an antlion?!  Sounds like some abomination from the Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (and yeah, I could google it, but I don't want to).

https://www.rootsimple.com/2014/11/behold-the-ant-lion/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1428 on: September 11, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »

https://www.rootsimple.com/2014/11/behold-the-ant-lion/

Well...I had the abomination part right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: September 12, 2018, 07:23:50 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
How everything in ad campaigns are now "game changers".   One, I like the game, and I don't want to change it, and two, if I did, your stupid pillow, or moisturizer or whateverthefuck isn't how I'd do it. 

(It's likely Baader-Meinhof at work, but it's now a running joke between my wife and I.  "Game changer" is for me, right up there with "journey!" for annoying over-used buzzword.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1431 on: September 12, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
This is probably as good a place as any for this:  https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/passenger-with-phd-ripped-for-insisting-airline-call-her-doctor/

In a nutshell, a woman with a Ph.D in something (but the point is that she isn't a medical doctor) got bent because a flight attendant referred to her as "Miss" instead of "Doctor" and tweeted about it, saying that she "did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss."  In response to the inevitable backlash she got, she tried to pretend that her tweet really "was about highlighting one of a thousand instances of sexism that women encounter every day" and speculated "that this wouldn’t have happened if I was [sic] a man."

Are you kidding me, lady?!  The only thing I'll concede is that, if the airline is going to require that you input a "title" when making a reservation, they ought to use whatever title you select (it reminds me of a comedian I once heard talking about something like this and who said something about wanting to be called "field marshal" or something like that).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: September 12, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »
This is probably as good a place as any for this:  https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/passenger-with-phd-ripped-for-insisting-airline-call-her-doctor/

In a nutshell, a woman with a Ph.D in something (but the point is that she isn't a medical doctor) got bent because a flight attendant referred to her as "Miss" instead of "Doctor" and tweeted about it, saying that she "did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss."  In response to the inevitable backlash she got, she tried to pretend that her tweet really "was about highlighting one of a thousand instances of sexism that women encounter every day" and speculated "that this wouldn’t have happened if I was [sic] a man."

Are you kidding me, lady?!  The only thing I'll concede is that, if the airline is going to require that you input a "title" when making a reservation, they ought to use whatever title you select (it reminds me of a comedian I once heard talking about something like this and who said something about wanting to be called "field marshal" or something like that).

How about calling her "c***"?   

(C'mon, you were all thinking it.  And no, this isn't sexism; I would be just as critical of a man doing this.  I'm not sure it's incumbent on every service person that encounters us to know our titlage and whatnot.)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1433 on: September 12, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
Entitlement sucks in all forms.

A woman in my department demanded to be called doctor when talking to nurses on the phone and we all laughed at her. She graduated before PharmD even existed and deliberately went back to school to get that precious doctorate, deliberately so she could go around asking to be called doctor. I would feel super awkward asking people to call me doctor. Its just an ego trip imo.

Even the teachers at my school demanded to be called by the doctor title. All they were, were pharmacists that decided to teach, but in the bubble of the school they all went around patting each other on the back and putting themselves on pedestals.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: September 12, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »
She took a page from Serena William's Playbook of Victimhood.

Why do we even need titlage? I call my family's doctors Dr. LastName out of respect and because I have a professional relationship with them. Not because they "did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'