Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308201 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1190 on: July 25, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »
I was reminded of this one this morning:

Sometimes, when in a public restroom or fast-food or similar restaurant, the paper towel or napkin dispenser will be stuffed so full that it is impossible to extract a towel or napkin without ripping the first several to shreds.  When this happens and the dispenser allows for it, I will usually open the dispenser up and get my towels/napkins that way.  Otherwise, I'll just dig in and pull out about 20 so that the pressure is alleviated.

This is how all the paper towel dispensers at my job are, why stuff them so much? You're there filling them up 3-4 times a day?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1191 on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Hah!

I just tell her to jab me once for yes and twice for no.

Does this work the other way as well? Lololol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1192 on: July 25, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
Hah!

I just tell her to jab me once for yes and twice for no.

Does this work the other way as well? Lololol

She says those three words I love to hear...

Make it quick!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: July 25, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
 :lol

I guess.  Lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1194 on: July 25, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1195 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
That's probably why I'm not married.  I went out to lunch with a friend of mine at work the last couple days.  Asked him if he had any lunch plans today.  He brought his lunch today and said if he goes out too much, his wife will kick his ass!  :lol

:facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1196 on: July 26, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
if he goes out too much, his wife will kick his ass!  :lol

I think my wife and I handle our $$$ differently than most couples. We have a joint savings account but also have our 'own' accounts. Now, we both can get in to each others accounts....but for the most part she has 'her' money and I have 'my' money. We have divided up our responsibilities as far as bills and what not and take care of them accordingly.

So I don't have to deal with 'getting in trouble' for any $$$ I spend because as long as I'm taking care of my part she could care less what I'm spending my $$ on. Now, she does rib me from time to time if it appears I'm getting a little crazy on discretionary spending and not throwing enough $$$ towards our emergency savings....but that's only if I get a bit carried away on AMAZON, which happens now and then.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1197 on: July 26, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
if he goes out too much, his wife will kick his ass!  :lol

I think my wife and I handle our $$$ differently than most couples. We have a joint savings account but also have our 'own' accounts. Now, we both can get in to each others accounts....but for the most part she has 'her' money and I have 'my' money. We have divided up our responsibilities as far as bills and what not and take care of them accordingly.

Maybe that's rare across your generation, but that's the standard for us millennials  :D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
Mr. and Mrs. Cool Chris do it that way. We both work, put a % of our individual income in to our "Joint" account, and keep the remainder in our personal accounts.

Ideally we would both handle the Joint account management but she absolved herself of any and all responsibilities for that, so it is all on my shoulders. Once a year or so she asks to see how much money we have in all our accounts (including IRAs, etc...) and that's about for her interest. That may sound great for me since I could theoretically do whatever I want with our Joint money, but the downside is that I have keep us on budget, and when I feel we are going overboard in one area, have to bring it up and be the Bad Guy Bean Counter. It's easy for her to justify spending whatever money she wants if she can avoid ever seeing our balance sheet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: July 26, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Maybe that's rare across your generation, but that's the standard for us millennials  :D

I think you're close. My wife and I are 42...and I think we're on the cusp of where maybe this approach switched over from just having (1) account to each person has their own and maybe there is a shared savings? It works great for us.

Mr. and Mrs. Cool Chris do it that way. We both work, put a % of our individual income in to our "Joint" account, and keep the remainder in our personal accounts.

Ideally we would both handle the Joint account management but she absolved herself of any and all responsibilities for that, so it is all on my shoulders. Once a year or so she asks to see how much money we have in all our accounts (including IRAs, etc...) and that's about for her interest. That may sound great for me since I could theoretically do whatever I want with our Joint money, but the downside is that I have keep us on budget, and when I feel we are going overboard in one area, have to bring it up and be the Bad Guy Bean Counter. It's easy for her to justify spending whatever money she wants if she can avoid ever seeing our balance sheet.

I'm the 'primary' financial maintainer as well. My wife was more than happy to absolve herself from having to 'worry' about taking care of all the details. And, I HAD to be in control of it after growing up in a household watching my father be clueless about how my mom was blowing all our families money on gambling. I could go on and on but bottom line is I basically put myself in charge of it all and it just so happened my wife was perfectly happy and fine with it....she, wasn't threatened or 'mad' about it at all.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1200 on: July 26, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »
I'll be the different one here and say my wife and I have had 100% co-mingled finances from the beginning. My thinking is that our financial goals should be completed aligned with each other (and for the most part they are). What good does it do if I'm frugal and save for retirement, but she doesn't? I want to retire with my wife, not sit around while she still works. Or I want us to go on vacations together not by myself because she doesn't save for it. If one of us needs a new car (or anything else for that matter) we work together to save for it. We each get a small amount of fun money every month to spend (spent mostly beer and snacks from the convenience store by work for me) which seems to work well for us. Everyone's different I guess, but I can't imagine having no (or very little) idea what my wife was doing financially or vice versa. It is a polar opposite philosophy to what marriage is to me. Of course, I'm also a big personal finance geek and am saving for financial independence and possible early retirement, so I'm not the average American when it comes to finances.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
My gf and I have completely separate financies and we plan to keep it that way after we get married next year. We both make almost the same amount of money and we split alll house expenses since we both own the house. As for everything else we spend our money as see fit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
I can't imagine having no (or very little) idea what my wife was doing financially or vice versa.

In our situation it's not as if we don't "know" or discuss what we're doing with our $$. Especially when it comes to our savings and retirement accounts. If I buy a $80 golf club online I'm sure to mention it or show it to her when I get it.....as she does the same with any spending she does.

My initial reason for pointing out our 'separate' accounts was that I don't get 'yelled at' for going out to lunch in lieu of taking one....or any other financial purchase. As long as I hold up my end of the financial commitments and assignments that have been made to me for the good of our family I can do pretty much anything I want with the 'fun' money left over. Which....isn't a whole heck of a lot  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1203 on: July 26, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
I can't imagine having no (or very little) idea what my wife was doing financially or vice versa.

In our situation it's not as if we don't "know" or discuss what we're doing with our $$. Especially when it comes to our savings and retirement accounts. If I buy a $80 golf club online I'm sure to mention it or show it to her when I get it.....as she does the same with any spending she does.

My initial reason for pointing out our 'separate' accounts was that I don't get 'yelled at' for going out to lunch in lieu of taking one....or any other financial purchase. As long as I hold up my end of the financial commitments and assignments that have been made to me for the good of our family I can do pretty much anything I want with the 'fun' money left over. Which....isn't a whole heck of a lot  :lol
In reality I suppose what you're doing is not that different from us. It's just that our fun money either comes out of our joint account rather than just staying in our own accounts. I guess one of the main reasons I find joint accounts to be so weird is because we don't have a lot left over after our mutual expenses and common savings goals (which are pretty significant). In fact it's so little that it would be completely useless to have separate accounts for it. It's easier just to pull out our fun money as cash every month.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: July 26, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

In reality I suppose what you're doing is not that different from us. It's just that our fun money either comes out of our joint account rather than just staying in our own accounts. I guess one of the main reasons I find joint accounts to be so weird is because we don't have a lot left over after our mutual expenses and common savings goals (which are pretty significant). In fact it's so little that it would be completely useless to have separate accounts for it. It's easier just to pull out our fun money as cash every month.

After we got married we both kept our accounts....which it just so happened we used the same bank......we added one another to those accounts then just started a new basic 'savings' account together. I don't know that there's a 'right' way to do it. I think it's whatever works for you and your wife/girlfriend. As long as your communicating and have a common goal..that's the key I think .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: July 26, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
Xizor, without being nosey, do you and your spouse have similar incomes? Mrs. Cool Chris and I do not, which is one reason we went the route we did.

Won't speak for Gary but I think you are misrepresenting how we do our "Joint" account. It applies to retirement, vacations, cars, everything you mentioned, so that our financial goals are in sync. It just spares us a conversation along the lines of "Honey, can I spend $10 of this CD (me)/ these earrings (her)?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1206 on: July 26, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
Xizor, without being nosey, do you and your spouse have similar incomes? Mrs. Cool Chris and I do not, which is one reason we went the route we did.
We did when we got married. Not so much anymore since my wife only makes a little here and there and is mostly a stay at home mom. Even if we didn't in the beginning, I personally never would have considered keeping joint accounts, but to each their own.

Won't speak for Gary but I think you are misrepresenting how we do our "Joint" account.
I actual think what I'm struggling with is the concept that there's enough left over after all the joint stuff to justify keeping separate accounts. The thought of having hundreds of dollars to spend in our separate account is a foreign concept to me. We purposefully don't leave much left in the budget after all the bills and savings goals (which come out of the account up front, not from what's left over at the end of the month). Most of our personal spending comes out of our joint budget as long as it's mostly a need. My wife spends more than me, but not unreasonably so, so it's not a big deal. We're both pretty frugal, though I am more so. There's no having to ask each other about small expenses as long as its within the budget. Pure wants (lunch out, drinks, individual entertainment, that cute shirt that she wants but is by no stretch of the imagination something she needs, etc) need to come out of our fun money, which is really the only thing we refer to as "my money" or "her money". It's such a trivial amount that it would be silly to keep separate accounts for it.

Anyway... I just realized what thread this was in. We should probably stop hijacking it. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:29:37 PM by lordxizor »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: July 26, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »
No,no.  It fits. I'm irritated thinking about finances. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1208 on: July 27, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
Anyway... I just realized what thread this was in. We should probably stop hijacking it. :)

Yeah... you never know when a mod might jump in an admonish us all for not staying on topic.  I've got some points to add, so maybe I'll just start a new thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1209 on: July 27, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
Living in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1210 on: July 27, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
That sounds like it'd be awesome.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: July 27, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
Looks like a quaint town, some of the snow pictures are incredible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1212 on: July 28, 2018, 06:11:18 PM »
How many people have to pass you on the right before you GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1213 on: July 28, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
How many people have to pass you on the right before you GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1214 on: July 28, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »

I wanted to post this yesterday.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: July 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Today I was driving in the middle lane and put my directional on to get in the slow lane to take the next exit.  Some dude in a truck, tried to pass on the right. Drove up my ass in the slow lane,  road raged at me and when I ignored him he flipped out . 

It was only when I lost it did he drive away.  Hey jackass, you pass on the left fucker!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: July 28, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
wrong fucking thread lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1217 on: July 29, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
Attractive people who are well educated.

STOP IT!

Leave something for us ugly folk. You don't need to know how to read!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1218 on: July 30, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
Today I was driving in the middle lane and put my directional on to get in the slow lane to take the next exit.  Some dude in a truck, tried to pass on the right. Drove up my ass in the slow lane,  road raged at me and when I ignored him he flipped out . 

It was only when I lost it did he drive away.  Hey jackass, you pass on the left fucker!!

I've found myself doing this a lot, though.    The middle and left lanes are usually full, and, for the most part, the right lane is wide open.   I get it, most people think the middle lane is the traveling lane, but the idea that you NEVER have to move from your spot on the highway is ridiculous.  "Driving" is an active verb.  If you have a lane to your right that is open, you are TOO FAR OVER.  In other words if all those people in the middle lane going 55 moved over one, then the jackasses in the left lane that think they are the judge jury and executioner all in one ("You don't need to go any faster, because I SAID so!") can move over one and the people that want to pass, can.   

I find myself in the right hand lane about 75% of the time, and I'm usually at around 75 or so on the highway.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: July 30, 2018, 08:06:29 AM »
I've found the right lane to be my home more often than not now as well.  People just don't like to drive in it for whatever reason and it's slowly been morphing into the passing lane, until you run into someone using that lane correctly. 

Essentially I find I get less annoyed if I drive in the right lane.  Less people and when I run into someone who is slower, I accept that it is me who needs to change lanes, not them, so I have no reason to be mad or agitated.  And if there's traffic, the right lane seems to go faster too for my commute.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: July 30, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »

I've found myself doing this a lot, though.    The middle and left lanes are usually full, and, for the most part, the right lane is wide open.   I get it, most people think the middle lane is the traveling lane, but the idea that you NEVER have to move from your spot on the highway is ridiculous.  "Driving" is an active verb.  If you have a lane to your right that is open, you are TOO FAR OVER.  In other words if all those people in the middle lane going 55 moved over one, then the jackasses in the left lane that think they are the judge jury and executioner all in one ("You don't need to go any faster, because I SAID so!") can move over one and the people that want to pass, can.   

I find myself in the right hand lane about 75% of the time, and I'm usually at around 75 or so on the highway.

Right lane is not a passing lane.  It is the slowest traveling lane and if you decide to try to pass on the right odds are that this will happen.  Move to the far left lane if you want to pass.

BTW I was going 73 MPH.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1221 on: July 30, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

Right lane is not a passing lane.  It is the slowest traveling lane and if you decide to try to pass on the right odds are that this will happen.  Move to the far left lane if you want to pass.

BTW I was going 73 MPH.

You'll get no argument from me.  I'm with you 100%, at least in theory.   I live in Connecticut though, where entitlement runs deep and strong.  I can't tell you how many times I've been on 91, north of Hartford (where it's three lanes in each direction, and sometimes FOUR where the airport exit is) and some schmolean gets on and zooms IMMEDIATELY across three lanes to get in the left hand lane and parks there with a line of cars behind them, oblivious (or worse yet, yapping on their goddamn cellphone).   I'm part of the problem, I get it, but I'm not risking an aneurysm or worse sitting behind that future Darwinian casualty. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1222 on: July 30, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »

BTW I was going 73 MPH.

You'll get no argument from me.  I'm with you 100%, at least in theory.   I live in Connecticut though, where entitlement runs deep and strong.  I can't tell you how many times I've been on 91, north of Hartford (where it's three lanes in each direction, and sometimes FOUR where the airport exit is) and some schmolean gets on and zooms IMMEDIATELY across three lanes to get in the left hand lane and parks there with a line of cars behind them, oblivious (or worse yet, yapping on their goddamn cellphone).   I'm part of the problem, I get it, but I'm not risking an aneurysm or worse sitting behind that future Darwinian casualty.

I've driven all over this country, and I think I can safely say that CT's highways are without a doubt the biggest free for alls I've been on, at least at certain times. Early in the morning or in the evenings/night, the rules seem to apply, but between the hours of 7:00am and 7:00pm, it's every car for itself. Pass wherever and whenever you can. Use 18 wheelers to build speed and as sun shields. Even the cops seem to be in on it. You have no idea how many times I've been cruising at 80-85 only to notice a cop behind me who doesn't give a shit. I get over and he/she passes me doing 90. I kind of like it and am completely accustomed to it. I really notice though every time I leave the state.

This does not apply to rt.2 though. I've been stopped for speeding six times in my life, and four of them were on rt.2 (out by Mohegan).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:21:33 PM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
Can't stand the people who get on the highway and immediately change lanes to the left when no one is even in the right lane, that gets multiplied when that person then causes others to hit the breaks or slow down for them because they are in no position to pass another vehicle yet.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1224 on: July 30, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
I live in Fort Wayne, IN, and I joke that the city is so conservative, you can only pass on the right.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.