Author Topic: Obscure DT trivia - have you seen this?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Obscure DT trivia - have you seen this?
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
Stumbled onto this recent post on youtube.com.  I watched it and saw a few things, thinking  . . .  "oh, I've heard that" but then there were a couple that I said, "wow, really?  I didn't know that."  I thought I'd share for what's it's worth.  A little Saturday night fun if you've got nothin' else going on. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHlkVZOX3c

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Obscure DT trivia - have you seen this?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
Nice.

The Walking Shadow from Metropolis II?? :omg:
Love the lyrical switch from TTT and JLMB.

The Zelda thing was a stretch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
Nice.

The Walking Shadow from Metropolis II?? :omg:
Love the lyrical switch from TTT and JLMB.

The Zelda thing was a stretch.

:omg: yeah, I know, right?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:41 PM »
The Kevin Moore/MP metal rap group Odjeda was kinda catchy. I can't find them online anywhere
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Interesting video - love that it runs 21 minutes and 12 seconds! LOL!

There's some facts that I didn't know, but plenty that I did. But to be honest, I do question the truthfulness of all of it (altho there is plenty of details that I know are true):
• the claim that the girl from the IaW cover appeared on Taste the Memories is false. The artist just created what he imagined the girl might look like in 2002, but in no way was it her nor modeled after a (then) recent photo of her.
• I'm pretty sure the whole thing about Nicky Lemons and the Migraines producing the album Ugly American was never anything more than a joke, but the video seems to present it as something they were seriously planning on doing.
• Let's Go Dancing was a Charlie Dominici song with an unknown band - nothing to do with DT. Retard Spoilage and Organics are not legitimate songs but just the band screwing around in the studio. Distant Echoes was actually just a montage of WDaDU songs and other stuff.
• I'd seriously question where these supposed rumored titles The Mind's Beginning, The Mind's End, Bleed With Me and Path of Darkness came from.

The comparison between Metropolis part II and Stream of Consciousness is a bit of a stretch, IMO as was the thing between TDS and Zelda. The connection between it and The Walking Shadow, OTOH was pretty surprising and impressive!

Very curious to know where the info about MP planning to release the compilation "The Epic Side" came from, as well as that there would be a longer version of the SDoIT Overture on the Making of SDoIT.

The Kevin Moore/MP metal rap group Odjeda was kinda catchy. I can't find them online anywhere
Honestly, I used to have that bootleg and I thought the Odjeda tracks were just crap. Of course, someone else might enjoy it, but I think the number of people that those tracks would appeal to will be pretty small.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:48:15 AM »
"The Epic Side" was a joke in the booklet for Greatest Hit

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:31 AM »
Just a joke? in an ideal world where there would have been the demand for a 3 discs compilation, I would assume that MP would have actually compiled a third disc full of epic songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
Right here. 5 tracks, 9 minutes in total.

Retard Spoilage and Organics are not legitimate songs but just the band screwing around in the studio. Distant Echoes was actually just a montage of WDaDU songs and other stuff.
Distant Echoes is a pretty cool little thing, though, and worked as a nice little bonus thing on the DVD menu for When Dream And Day Reunite.
Maybe if Retard Spoilage and Organics were more widely available, this misinformation wouldn't spread so easily. :lol

• I'd seriously question where these supposed rumored titles The Mind's Beginning, The Mind's End, Bleed With Me and Path of Darkness came from.
IIRC, those titles came from Mike Bahr talking on the DT mailing list way back when. The guy who made the video found that public backup of the mailing list history, and was looking into some stuff Mike Bahr had said. Among other things, Mind's Beginning/End, Bleed With Me, and Path Of Darkness were tracks he claimed would show up on Prism releases. IIRC, there was on specific release(Could have been Mosaic, might have been Darkest Of Winters or something, though) where he posted a couple of full tracklists before release that were different from the final version.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Here's the proof that they're (IMO) crap!   :P

IIRC, those titles came from Mike Bahr talking on the DT mailing list way back when. The guy who made the video found that public backup of the mailing list history, and was looking into some stuff Mike Bahr had said. Among other things, Mind's Beginning/End, Bleed With Me, and Path Of Darkness were tracks he claimed would show up on Prism releases. IIRC, there was on specific release(Could have been Mosaic, might have been Darkest Of Winters or something, though) where he posted a couple of full tracklists before release that were different from the final version.
Ah. Mike Bahr. Actually that doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Bahr seems to have had a tendency to just make up titles to stuff that never had any. Distant Echoes is another one Bahr made up, since MP said it didn't have a title. Same thing with the improv section DT added to TtT on the Waking Up the World tour, which I'm pretty sure Bahr called "The Mists of Time" and the improv/instrumental DT did on the 2 opening dates of the Music in Progress tour (May 15 & 16, 1993) which he named "Ignition". I'm sure there's probably several others. I wonder if he's also the one who came up with the stupid title "Falling Into a Change of Awake" for the unnamed medley DT did on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
Aaaand the video is unavailable  :tdwn

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:28:09 AM »
I wonder if he's also the one who came up with the stupid title "Falling Into a Change of Awake" for the unnamed medley DT did on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  :P

Did you add that name to the setlist here then?

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=514

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »

Ah. Mike Bahr. Actually that doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Bahr seems to have had a tendency to just make up titles to stuff that never had any. Distant Echoes is another one Bahr made up, since MP said it didn't have a title. Same thing with the improv section DT added to TtT on the Waking Up the World tour, which I'm pretty sure Bahr called "The Mists of Time" and the improv/instrumental DT did on the 2 opening dates of the Music in Progress tour (May 15 & 16, 1993) which he named "Ignition". I'm sure there's probably several others. I wonder if he's also the one who came up with the stupid title "Falling Into a Change of Awake" for the unnamed medley DT did on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  :P

Mists of Evening is my recollection.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »

Yes.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I wonder if he's also the one who came up with the stupid title "Falling Into a Change of Awake" for the unnamed medley DT did on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  :P
Did you add that name to the setlist here then?

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=514
It's possible since I don't remember which shows I entered into the database at that time, but I doubt it. Nick "Bogie" Bogovich also helped out with entering in a lot of the setlists initially, so I'd guess it was probably him.

Yes.
So be it - been a long time since I looked at those Bahr-era boots.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
Say what you will about Bahr, and his rather weird ways surrounding those bootlegs, the actual bootlegs themselves were pretty good.
Acoustic Dreams is a particular favourite, despite there being better sources out there for most of its content.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
Say what you will about Bahr, and his rather weird ways surrounding those bootlegs, the actual bootlegs themselves were pretty good.
Acoustic Dreams is a particular favourite, despite there being better sources out there for most of its content.
I'd say I'm just a bit critical of the man himself. The bootlegs were decent - as you said, the Acoustic Dreams one in particular was a winner, altho I'm curious to know where there are better sounding sources for that boot than what ended up on the CD. OTOH, several of the other boots he released were definitely available in better quality elsewhere.

Still, I have to thank him for indirectly getting me on the Internet when I did (early 1995). I met a guy while outside in line for the Waking Up the World show in Milwaukee who told me all about the DT fan presence online, as well as how one fan was compiling a bootleg CD of rarities (Bahr's first DT bootleg, Subconscious) - that was enough to get me to working on getting an Internet connection.  :P

Offline jsbru

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Are you from Milwaukee, Scotty?  I was born there and grew up there.  I've seen DT at the Rave, Eagle's Ballroom, the Marcus Ampatheater, and the Riverside.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
Yes.

I throw them on from time to time. Subconscious is always my favorite. That version of Wanted: Dead or Alive.  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 03:40:40 AM »
Video's gone  :(
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »
Are you from Milwaukee, Scotty?  I was born there and grew up there.  I've seen DT at the Rave, Eagle's Ballroom, the Marcus Ampatheater, and the Riverside.
Yup. I've seen them at the Lazer 103 Rock Stage, the Rave, Eagle's Ballroom and the Riverside too. Also saw them twice at the Barrymore in Madison and three times at the Vic in Chicago.

Welcome to 5 days ago, when don_waka posted the same thing.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:27 AM »
Yup. I've seen them at the Lazer 103 Rock Stage, the Rave, Eagle's Ballroom and the Riverside too. Also saw them twice at the Barrymore in Madison and three times at the Vic in Chicago.

I can't read  :(
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

I can't read  :(
So....YouDoNotDoThings

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.