Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 176473 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.
« Reply #1610 on: December 20, 2023, 03:06:30 PM »
Nah. It's a rock band album. No need for anything else...novels, action figures..

Did someone say ACTION FIGGERS?!

https://youtu.be/vXFefLdd1HI?si=bb_yRQFZ1yPJoJe2

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070790529662954

Can't find the JLB video.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1611 on: December 20, 2023, 03:07:35 PM »
I would buy a Nef action figure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1612 on: December 20, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
I would buy a Nef action figure.

Ok, I concede.... maybe just one little Gabriel. But only if he looked exactly like James.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1613 on: December 20, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »
I'd probably buy Faythe too, assuming she came with music player.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1614 on: December 20, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »

Wow, talk about a private paradise.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: December 20, 2023, 03:52:08 PM »
Alright, back from the morning run and I'll be spinning this in about 45 minutes.  Gotta eat first after the effort this morning.  Or maybe that's not a good idea before diving into this?  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1616 on: December 20, 2023, 04:03:09 PM »
Gave it a spin earlier today at work.  Just as in the past, I really, really enjoyed it through Heaven's Cove.  After that, it loses me until Our New World and Astonishing.  As I said earlier (I think it was in the MP thread), I rarely engage in "I wish the band had done X instead of Y" because that kind of thinking is self-centered and unproductive.  But I really wish they had reworked that middle part of disk 2 to tighten it up.  Could have been one of my favorite albums if they had.  But as it is, I still really love the rest of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: December 20, 2023, 04:31:33 PM »
Alright, about to push play.  Not sure how I'll post or react or how much I will as I'm listening.  Let's see.

There's not much back story for me behind this album but I remember the time it came out.  When ADTOE came out, I thought it was just okay.  I didn't see what the hype was about.  So, I didn't really care as much about DT around that period.  When DT12 came out though, it blew me away.  It's my fav of the MM era.  It got me excited for DT again.  So when they announced TA, my expectations were pretty high.  I purchased the CD, put it in and sat down and devoted my time to a full listen.  I remember thinking as it was going along, '.......uh.....WTF is this?'  By the second disc, I couldn't wait for it to be over.  I was so disappointed.  I thought maybe you know, first listen, give it another chance.  I despised it even more the second listen and don't think I even got halfway through the second CD before turning it off.  That was it, I couldn't believe one of my favourite bands had come out with this garbage.  I have had zero desire to ever try it again.  I couldn't tell you a thing about any of the songs.

So, I guess it's time to finally try it again and see if anything tickles the eardrum more than it did almost 8 years ago.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1618 on: December 20, 2023, 04:34:42 PM »
If you listen more for melodies and vocals than Metal it might help a little  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1619 on: December 20, 2023, 04:36:11 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: December 20, 2023, 04:38:22 PM »
 :lol

Good one, Tim!

:corn
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: December 20, 2023, 05:00:40 PM »
Descent of the NOMACS - First off, this gives you a sense this is going to be one fucking ballsy, heavy album.  I dunno, SX vibes with this kind of intro for some reason, Iconoclast or something.

Overture - Okay, this sounds like DT straight off the bat.  That melody at 0:44 is actually really nice.  Goes off into a standard DT direction though at 1:00.  I wished they kept going outside the box with that 16 second section.  But I know, this is an Overture.

2:03 - Wait, is this Six Degrees.  Around the 3 minute mark I'm drifting but that major key melody at 3:25 is quite nice.  Again, lots of 6D feels here. Around 4 minutes, alright, that's enough boys, let's move on.  I have another 32 fucking tracks to get through.

Gift of Music - This was the lead single right?  Okay, shit......About to Crash re-reprise?  Okay, I'm alright so far with this.  Oh shit, I cringed hard at the 'people don't have time for music anymore' line.  :facepalm: :lol  Gabriel come save us lol.  Hmmm...I actually forgot what the story was about.

2:20 - Alright, some JP action.  I love that touch harmonic at 2:24, all class.  This is surprisingly shreddy for this type of song, but it works okay.  2:40, we heard that bend in ATE.  There's always something nice in a guitar solo and often underused when you play in a minor shape but bend the 3rd or 6th notes up a tone.  So often based on the shape of the scale/mode it's usually the 2nd, 4th or 7th that are the most frequently bended notes, the others are underused but so effective when done in the way JP does it here.  John Norum springs to mind to with his style.  Anyway, I'm getting distracted, I'll be hear all day....unpause.

That 2:44 part is cool, seems out of context of the tune though.  Oh wait, it goes into Metropolis, all is forgiven.  3:38 more Jordan 6D style.  I'll take the comment out about it not fitting with the style as it didn't go back to a vocal section.  As a stand alone piece I don't see it working, but I didn't mind that on a whole.

The Answer - Getting strong SS vibes here.  Was it there intention to try and imitate a 6D style with this album?  It reeks of it so far.  As Alex has said, Jordan is the master of the piano, you can't ever not love his piano playing.  Luckily, that was short and is over.

A Better Life - Funny, straight off this reminds me of Empire of the Clouds from Maiden for the piano intro.  As we get going, I'm already having trouble connecting everything together.  I'm lacking any real distinction in hooks or repetitive sections to really make any kind of era worm.  Were they also going for a one song effect?  The chorus here though comes just at the right time as I write this.  It's not bad. 

More JP action.  How good is this man over a setting where it just breathes.  He can do so much and has so many ideas over this kind of setting.  Although, this again seems a bit hectic in the first half.  Sometimes he can't help himself though.  That half time feel though makes it okay.  How good is 2:41 and I love how he is such an avid user of the bridge and neck pickups so frequently, that change in tone at 2:43, switching from the neck to the bridge is so good.  I do think he goes a bit shreddy in this second half too, but that was cool. 

Again, are they going for a one song effect, what the fuck is with the end of this song?  Would have been the perfect time of the album to go back to that chorus but what a complete letdown.

Lord Nafaryus - Ooh....all of a sudden we're into The Test That Stumped Them All territory.  This is an abrupt way to enter the song and doesn't make sense to me.  This is all over the shop, this......isn't very good.  Post break.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: December 20, 2023, 05:12:05 PM »
Savior in the Square - Nice intro.  Trying to put my finger on who JP is channeling here.  Is it Satriani, is it Schon, even Eric Johnson vibes I get from the melodies.  1:30.......wait, Illumination Theory?  Oh, what the fuck is going on here?  Should have been an instrumental, that intro makes no sense with what's going on now.  Again, it's just one thing after another different thing, this lacks complete coherency.  Finally though we get a nice James melody, in his sweet spot used correctly.....oh wait....forget that, more random shit.

When Your Time Has Come - You can tell John and Jordan were the sole writers here, the whole thing I mean.  Jordan is the obvious star.  James would be too if he wasn't pulled and shoved in every which direction each minute or so. 

The problem I have is that the ideas are all there, but so far it's like they've made the consciouss decision to spread as many different ideas across the album in some feat that that is what a rock opera consists of.  They've used the idea of what they think it should be, and forgotten about the songs I think.  Like they've lost focus on the songs and just focused on the elements they think it should be.

Ohh.....some wah Petrucci.  Again, this is nice but you can tell with this section Petrucci isn't thinking about the stage production, not necessarily the song.  This song is although pleasant enough and gives you some breathing room but then....again after the solo........dah duh!!  Another dramatic change in direction just for the sake of it....uhh....and just ends fucking nowhere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: December 20, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »
Act of Faythe - Again, I just feel with this intro they have thought too much about the whole grand design and concept/stage show instead of the album.  Ahh....I'm getting over it already unfortunately.  3:23  :lol :rollin :lol :rollin Oh fuck!!?!  :lol  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  I kew it, I shouldn't have eaten breakfast before this. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: December 20, 2023, 05:24:36 PM »
Three Days - More paino.  I can see why Alessandro likes this album, seems to have everything he loves about JR.  I do appreciate what James is doing on this album.  While he was given the task of playing 58 characters, he's doing a good job and is having some great moments given the circumstances.  That laugh at 1:55 is epic...wait was this the song Tim was referencing King Diamond, I can hear that.  Again, this is just so random though, it's just hard to stay focused on it all.

the hovering sojourn - yeah cool

Brother, Can you Hear Me? - Track 12, holy fuck there's so much more to go.......was this long intro really necessary.  This melody feels like it should be something much later in the album, towards the end.  Seems weird placed here.  Maybe I need to read through the story more thoroughly......4:00 - oh brother can you just fuck off now, is more like it.

This album needs more JP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1625 on: December 20, 2023, 05:28:25 PM »
Act of Faythe - Again, I just feel with this intro they have thought too much about the whole grand design and concept/stage show instead of the album.  Ahh....I'm getting over it already unfortunately.  3:23  :lol :rollin :lol :rollin Oh fuck!!?!  :lol  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  I kew it, I shouldn't have eaten breakfast before this.

:lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1626 on: December 20, 2023, 05:28:43 PM »
...and she looked exactly like James. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1627 on: December 20, 2023, 05:34:15 PM »
Three Days wait was this the song Tim was referencing King Diamond, I can hear that.

No, it's The Walking Shadow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: December 20, 2023, 05:44:24 PM »
A Life Left Behind - 8VM vibes here. Pretty sure 0:34 is ripped directly from it.  The other issue I have is like right now.  We get some more darker DT sections which breaks up what's going on but then it seems the vocal sections always divert to a more major key based feel.  While James shines in this area, it's making everything a blur and forgettable to me and truthfully just not very exciting.  Perhaps though that's part of what they were going for in regards to the concept, I don't know.

*Looks at time, shit still 2 minutes left of this one.*  James, just go back to sleep bruh.

Ravenskill - Okay, finally, a more minor based quieter vocal section.  That's a lot of reverb on James' voice. Oh shit, they couldn't help themselves shifting mid-way.  That main melody from Jordan though is wonderful.  1:22......Ah, I'm losing interest again.  2:11, alright I'm sitting up again, what have we got here........seems JP's riff ideas are all kinda similar too, again, perhaps that's the point.  Nah, around 3:30 I'm drifting again. 

3:53, I like that from James though.  Oh, it's gone fucking quiet again ffs.  And still, where the fuck is JP?!  Oh look, another attempt of a climatic exit when it's not needed.

Chosen - Far out, I'm starting to get shitty hey.......1:58...hmm...alright, this is a really nice melody, and JP doing some tasty stuff in the background.  Oh.....there he is.  Why is he still shredding?  Trying to make up for the songs he didn't get a solo?  Again as I said before, JP has such an amazing ability to let his guitar sing and let the music breathe under any backing he chooses really, but he always is on the edge of just going over with the notes.  BUT most of the time, it works just fine.  Not sure here.  At least once this song got going, it had the structure of a normal song and you had time to sit with it and appreciate the melodies as there was a bit of repetition.

A Tempting Offer - More dramatic cinematic type of shit going on here.  Cool keyboard patch and vibe there at 1:20 though.  James again sounds nice in the next section but again, I'm drifting here.  Next please.....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: December 20, 2023, 05:45:27 PM »
I'm really trying with this hey lads, I'm not trying to be a dick but this is a struggle.....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: December 20, 2023, 05:45:47 PM »
Three Days wait was this the song Tim was referencing King Diamond, I can hear that.

No, it's The Walking Shadow.

Ah, noted.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1631 on: December 20, 2023, 05:48:15 PM »
I'm really trying with this hey lads, I'm not trying to be a dick but this is a struggle.....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: December 20, 2023, 06:00:58 PM »
Keep running, mate, I’m enjoying this 👍
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1633 on: December 20, 2023, 06:03:02 PM »
Good work Wolfking that you made it this far, enjoying the write ups. I really struggle to get any further than A Tempting Offer and there is just so much more still to go....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: December 20, 2023, 06:03:28 PM »
Digital Discord - Remember this is about these things called NOMACS.  Yes yes, we know, we know.

The X Aspect - Open your eyes Nicholas........no other comments, more of the same.  Sorry, can't do the last 30 seconds, skip

A New Beginning - Oh.....a riff.  Again, more Six Degrees feels here but at least we have some energy.  That 'give us both a chance' melody is really interesting.  I like that. 

1:09, you know what, there is strong King Diamond vibes here too.  Instantly came to mind.  I'm not minding this but again, for me it just lacks a bit of coherency.  2:00, more King Diamond.  Nice little Erotomania nod there from Petrucci before of course......a quiet section.  ::)

'music calmed your soul just like a drug, remember bug?'  Ah, okay.

Oh shit, a heavier more traditional solo section from DT.  Getting Voices vibes initially from this Petrucci solo.  The heavy wah obviously.  I like the key change into the solo here.  He kind of copies the IT solo too here but I'm cool.  Interested where this goes at the 5:00 mark.......nice groove here from MM.  Love that change and lick at 6:00.  Now I like where this has headed.  I wonder what the shifts are here.  Sounds like it's changing key each transition.  The first time I've wanted to pick my guitar up during this album.  6:39, nice Gilmour nod.  Cool ending, that's more like it.

The Road to Revolution - I'm liking this intro so far.  Although it ends up going into that somewhat boring mundane territory we've seen across the first CD.

Yeah, again, that was a struggle.  My opinion hasn't changed at all.  Don't see any of these cracking the top 100 for me.  Gift of Music, A Better Life, Three Days and A New Beginning the ones I'll probably at least revisit though.  Maybe Chosen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: December 20, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »
Thanks for reading.  A lot to chew on but I'm happy you guys are at least reading along.  Onto disc 2, and yes Tim, this is feeling like a marathon.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: December 20, 2023, 06:12:50 PM »
2285 - Overture 2285?  1:14 - 1:27, now that's a fucking beautiful melody, wow.  It's like that exact melody was what they were going for across the whole album, but failed.  That small piece though is world class. 

Moment of Betrayal - Ah okay, we're hearing a small variation of that melody at the start, so I'm interested.  Oh shit, a metal riff, okay.  Oh wait, 'several years ago, in a foreign town.'  Wait wrong song?

Finally, a fucking chorus, like a strong, DT like amazing chorus, wow, I like that.  2:23, cool section this, James sounds on fire.  Goes into that chorus too, this is a fucking great song so far, easily the best thing I've heard so far.  Don't fuck it up boys!

3:22....About to Crash.....yes..yes, that's not too bad.  That's fine.  And a JP solo where the shred makes you put one of those tough guy faces on.  it's short and doesn't overstay its welcome and goes back into the chorus.  And a key change, go James go!  What a top song.  Now this.......this could easily get into the top 100.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: December 20, 2023, 06:28:03 PM »
Heaven's Cove - At least here we're getting some variation in a guitar intro as opposed to Jordan.  That is kind of the variation needed IMO from time to time.  Let's see where this one goes.  Minor key too helps.

Uhh....we're stalling again, alright this is interesting.  Kind of a cool riff JP has going underneath Labrie here.  3:12, not bad.  I like this.  Can we talk about MM's kick drum pattens here, very tasty.  Again, fuck....so many ideas there just wasted for the sake of the concept or what they thought was needed.

Begin Again - Get some almost Goodnight Kiss JP here.  kind of reminds me of Vai with his slides here, a bit different.  Oh no, we're going back to that sappy major key stuff, aren't we.  Maybe it's me.  Although, the vocal melody here is quite good.  Again, this is more fitting and in check with the broadway ideas they seemed to be going for with this album.  They have executed this one better to what the vision was.   

James sounds so fucking good at 2:27, love that.  Going back into that melody at 2:43 is nice.  That's a great ear worm type melody.  See this is DT that's not forced and doing something more authentic.  Wait......Do they know it's Christmas.  Is that what that is at the end, interesting.  Okay, I liked that.  A JP solo wouldn't have hurt though in the back end.

Okay, that 4 song stretch at the start of disc 2 was easily the most interesting of the whole thing so far.  Let's keep going.

The Path That Divides - Starts off fine.  Although, it seems to fall back into that trap of complete randomness, but at 2:04.....hmm....let's see what happens here.

Alright, some energy and a nice simple groove.  Were getting a slight TDS call back here.  That's a nice key change at 2:54......

Going back into that vocal section I feel a little let down but we're heading into what seems to be a fight scene.  Ehh....again, a lack of coherency here and another song with a climax for the sake of a climax.  At least it was more interesting and had more energy than most of the similar things going on on CD 1.

Machine Chatter - Oh shit....that's right, this thing has something called NOMACS, how could I forget.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: December 20, 2023, 06:37:22 PM »
The Walking Shadow - Woah, what's James doing here, that's cool shit.  Always loved hearing his screams.  I can hear the almost King Diamond influence Tim was talking about.

My Last Farewell - This is pretty sub standard, and unremarkable IMO.  Again, I'm drifting slightly with all these sections coming back randomly.  James still sounds good though, like really good, just not feeling the melodies as much in this one.  Again, the randomness.  That 8VM rip before the vocals come back in is pretty funny.

God damn this is long.....

Losing Faythe - Ah shit......nah...not more of this please.  Again, a missed opportunity for a real tasty TSCO style solo in this one, just the same formula with the outro.  Eh....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: December 20, 2023, 06:50:45 PM »
Whispers on the Wind - Oh for fucks sake.  Nope, skip.

Hymn of A Thousand Voices - This is nearly over right?  Uh, this is terrible.  Oh look, an attempted cinematic climax.  Music has shown her the way, she lives today.  :lol

Our New World - Harem Scarem style riff here, nice.  The melodies here aren't the strongest but the feel is nice and the song somewhat breathes.  That solo before the second verse is tasty as fuck.  Melodies sound better the second time around.

Again, not sure what to think of JP's solo, the shredding here seems to work quite nicely though.  The album needed a bit more lead work IMO.  By the end of this song, I didn't mind this.  Not a bad listen and something different.

Power Down - Just incase you forgot before we go.....NOMACS!!!!!

Astonishing - Brother can you hear me, oh shit!!!  :lol 

Is that an Octavarium melody I'm hearing again.  So far this climax to the album is the least climatic climax of the whole thing!  Let's give it til the end.

Ah fuck, the brother melody.  What an awful, awful finish to the album.  Just awful.

Well that was a chore.  My view hasn't really changed.  I think I made my general opinions on the whole thing during the listen.  Appreciate the ambition of doing it, but yeah, to me they failed pretty damn hard.  A couple of moments in the first act I will revisit and that run in act 2 plus Our New World is worth a revisit too.  If anything, the discovery of Moment of Betrayal was worth the listen.  That's a great song.  Thanks for reading lads, I'm exhausted, god damn that took the whole morning!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1640 on: December 20, 2023, 07:14:33 PM »
So...this is the review of my abridged version.. :lol

Gift of Music - This was the lead single right?  Okay, shit......About to Crash re-reprise?  Okay, I'm alright so far with this.  Oh shit, I cringed hard at the 'people don't have time for music anymore' line.  :facepalm: :lol  Gabriel come save us lol.  Hmmm...I actually forgot what the story was about.

2:20 - Alright, some JP action.  I love that touch harmonic at 2:24, all class.  This is surprisingly shreddy for this type of song, but it works okay.  2:40, we heard that bend in ATE.  There's always something nice in a guitar solo and often underused when you play in a minor shape but bend the 3rd or 6th notes up a tone.  So often based on the shape of the scale/mode it's usually the 2nd, 4th or 7th that are the most frequently bended notes, the others are underused but so effective when done in the way JP does it here.  John Norum springs to mind to with his style.  Anyway, I'm getting distracted, I'll be hear all day....unpause.

That 2:44 part is cool, seems out of context of the tune though.  Oh wait, it goes into Metropolis, all is forgiven.  3:38 more Jordan 6D style.  I'll take the comment out about it not fitting with the style as it didn't go back to a vocal section.  As a stand alone piece I don't see it working, but I didn't mind that on a whole.

Lord Nafaryus - Ooh....all of a sudden we're into The Test That Stumped Them All territory.  This is an abrupt way to enter the song and doesn't make sense to me.  This is all over the shop, this......isn't very good.  Post break.

Savior in the Square - Nice intro.  Trying to put my finger on who JP is channeling here.  Is it Satriani, is it Schon, even Eric Johnson vibes I get from the melodies.  1:30.......wait, Illumination Theory?  Oh, what the fuck is going on here?  Should have been an instrumental, that intro makes no sense with what's going on now.  Again, it's just one thing after another different thing, this lacks complete coherency.  Finally though we get a nice James melody, in his sweet spot used correctly.....oh wait....forget that, more random shit.

When Your Time Has Come - You can tell John and Jordan were the sole writers here, the whole thing I mean.  Jordan is the obvious star.  James would be too if he wasn't pulled and shoved in every which direction each minute or so. 

The problem I have is that the ideas are all there, but so far it's like they've made the consciouss decision to spread as many different ideas across the album in some feat that that is what a rock opera consists of.  They've used the idea of what they think it should be, and forgotten about the songs I think.  Like they've lost focus on the songs and just focused on the elements they think it should be.

Ohh.....some wah Petrucci.  Again, this is nice but you can tell with this section Petrucci isn't thinking about the stage production, not necessarily the song.  This song is although pleasant enough and gives you some breathing room but then....again after the solo........dah duh!!  Another dramatic change in direction just for the sake of it....uhh....and just ends fucking nowhere.

Three Days - More paino.  I can see why Alessandro likes this album, seems to have everything he loves about JR.  I do appreciate what James is doing on this album.  While he was given the task of playing 58 characters, he's doing a good job and is having some great moments given the circumstances.  That laugh at 1:55 is epic...wait was this the song Tim was referencing King Diamond, I can hear that.  Again, this is just so random though, it's just hard to stay focused on it all.

Ravenskill - Okay, finally, a more minor based quieter vocal section.  That's a lot of reverb on James' voice. Oh shit, they couldn't help themselves shifting mid-way.  That main melody from Jordan though is wonderful.  1:22......Ah, I'm losing interest again.  2:11, alright I'm sitting up again, what have we got here........seems JP's riff ideas are all kinda similar too, again, perhaps that's the point.  Nah, around 3:30 I'm drifting again. 

3:53, I like that from James though.  Oh, it's gone fucking quiet again ffs.  And still, where the fuck is JP?!  Oh look, another attempt of a climatic exit when it's not needed.

A Tempting Offer - More dramatic cinematic type of shit going on here.  Cool keyboard patch and vibe there at 1:20 though.  James again sounds nice in the next section but again, I'm drifting here.  Next please.....

The X Aspect - Open your eyes Nicholas........no other comments, more of the same.  Sorry, can't do the last 30 seconds, skip

A New Beginning - Oh.....a riff.  Again, more Six Degrees feels here but at least we have some energy.  That 'give us both a chance' melody is really interesting.  I like that. 

1:09, you know what, there is strong King Diamond vibes here too.  Instantly came to mind.  I'm not minding this but again, for me it just lacks a bit of coherency.  2:00, more King Diamond.  Nice little Erotomania nod there from Petrucci before of course......a quiet section.  ::)

'music calmed your soul just like a drug, remember bug?'  Ah, okay.

Oh shit, a heavier more traditional solo section from DT.  Getting Voices vibes initially from this Petrucci solo.  The heavy wah obviously.  I like the key change into the solo here.  He kind of copies the IT solo too here but I'm cool.  Interested where this goes at the 5:00 mark.......nice groove here from MM.  Love that change and lick at 6:00.  Now I like where this has headed.  I wonder what the shifts are here.  Sounds like it's changing key each transition.  The first time I've wanted to pick my guitar up during this album.  6:39, nice Gilmour nod.  Cool ending, that's more like it.

Moment of Betrayal - Ah okay, we're hearing a small variation of that melody at the start, so I'm interested.  Oh shit, a metal riff, okay.  Oh wait, 'several years ago, in a foreign town.'  Wait wrong song?

Finally, a fucking chorus, like a strong, DT like amazing chorus, wow, I like that.  2:23, cool section this, James sounds on fire.  Goes into that chorus too, this is a fucking great song so far, easily the best thing I've heard so far.  Don't fuck it up boys!

3:22....About to Crash.....yes..yes, that's not too bad.  That's fine.  And a JP solo where the shred makes you put one of those tough guy faces on.  it's short and doesn't overstay its welcome and goes back into the chorus.  And a key change, go James go!  What a top song.  Now this.......this could easily get into the top 100.

Heaven's Cove - At least here we're getting some variation in a guitar intro as opposed to Jordan.  That is kind of the variation needed IMO from time to time.  Let's see where this one goes.  Minor key too helps.

Uhh....we're stalling again, alright this is interesting.  Kind of a cool riff JP has going underneath Labrie here.  3:12, not bad.  I like this.  Can we talk about MM's kick drum pattens here, very tasty.  Again, fuck....so many ideas there just wasted for the sake of the concept or what they thought was needed.

The Path That Divides - Starts off fine.  Although, it seems to fall back into that trap of complete randomness, but at 2:04.....hmm....let's see what happens here.

Alright, some energy and a nice simple groove.  Were getting a slight TDS call back here.  That's a nice key change at 2:54......

Going back into that vocal section I feel a little let down but we're heading into what seems to be a fight scene.  Ehh....again, a lack of coherency here and another song with a climax for the sake of a climax.  At least it was more interesting and had more energy than most of the similar things going on on CD 1.

The Walking Shadow - Woah, what's James doing here, that's cool shit.  Always loved hearing his screams.  I can hear the almost King Diamond influence Tim was talking about.

My Last Farewell - This is pretty sub standard, and unremarkable IMO.  Again, I'm drifting slightly with all these sections coming back randomly.  James still sounds good though, like really good, just not feeling the melodies as much in this one.  Again, the randomness.  That 8VM rip before the vocals come back in is pretty funny.

Hymn of A Thousand Voices - This is nearly over right?  Uh, this is terrible.  Oh look, an attempted cinematic climax.  Music has shown her the way, she lives today.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1641 on: December 20, 2023, 07:23:58 PM »
Screw you Tim. Too much to read. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: December 20, 2023, 07:49:12 PM »
 :lol  Sorry Tim.  Yeah, I didn't expect to write that much, just got in the mood.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1643 on: December 20, 2023, 07:52:30 PM »
Maybe I should do Winger's first album. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: December 20, 2023, 07:55:11 PM »
I would LOVE to read that.

but come on, I tried to be not too much of a dick.  I didn't think I was that harsh at all.  :lol