Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 173256 times)

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #945 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:52 AM »
I said that many times already
Carpe diem baby

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #946 on: June 10, 2019, 12:51:00 AM »
For the first time in about a year - maybe more - I listened to The Astonishing. Honestly, I was kind of blown away. Some of the music on that record is pretty amazing. I am really bummed that they didn't film a live show. What a memento that would have been!

I'm not a big fan of this album but it's kind of a shame they couldn't put out a DVD or live album. The Astonishing will most likely never be performed again live...at least not by Dream Theater.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #947 on: June 10, 2019, 01:30:56 AM »
I can understand why they didn't release a DVD of this show.
Let's face it, outside of this forum it's not exactly the most popular album, and putting out a live DVD with just the album played note-for-note with no extended bits, no live embellishments of the story and no extra songs seems redundant to me. If it was a popular album, I can kind of understand it, but given the reception of the album it doesn't make much sense business wise to do this.

(As I side note, I do *like* the album - it just feels a bit underdeveloped story-wise and musically to me, as I've mentioned elsewhere.)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #948 on: June 10, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
Let's face it, outside of this forum it's not exactly the most popular album, and putting out a live DVD with just the album played note-for-note with no extended bits, no live embellishments of the story and no extra songs seems redundant to me. If it was a popular album, I can kind of understand it, but given the reception of the album it doesn't make much sense business wise to do this.

(As I side note, I do *like* the album - it just feels a bit underdeveloped story-wise and musically to me, as I've mentioned elsewhere.)

If they released it with the Visuals as a bonus, I'd buy it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PMA

« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
For the first time in about a year - maybe more - I listened to The Astonishing. Honestly, I was kind of blown away. Some of the music on that record is pretty amazing. I am really bummed that they didn't film a live show. What a memento that would have been!

I truly like this release knowing full well that it is covering very different ground than their usual music although there are overlapping songs with prior material stylistically.  Even though the story is a bit corny, what theater arts type of musical isn't?  I just appreciated that a band as talented as DT would even try to do something that might be on Broadway someday.  When Queen's music was adapted to the stage play "We Will Rock You", that turned out quite well for the band so I am hoping that The Astonishing does eventually get a stage play release.  I agree with others that it is a shame they didn't do a live release of this.  I would buy it in a heartbeat.  There is a LOT of good music and LaBrie is at the top of his game on this.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #950 on: June 11, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »

If they released it with the Visuals as a bonus, I'd buy it.

Agreed 100%. The visuals would have made the live release worth it.

I truly like this release knowing full well that it is covering very different ground than their usual music although there are overlapping songs with prior material stylistically.  Even though the story is a bit corny, what theater arts type of musical isn't?  I just appreciated that a band as talented as DT would even try to do something that might be on Broadway someday.  When Queen's music was adapted to the stage play "We Will Rock You", that turned out quite well for the band so I am hoping that The Astonishing does eventually get a stage play release.  I agree with others that it is a shame they didn't do a live release of this.  I would buy it in a heartbeat.  There is a LOT of good music and LaBrie is at the top of his game on this.

It definitely feels less like a conventional concept album and more like a musical soundtrack, at least to me. And that's a bit weird coming from the band that wrote Train of Thought, but that's also what it means to truly be progressive.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #951 on: June 11, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »

The 'bummer' about this album (for me at least) is I have to listen to it all at once. There aren't many if any songs on there I just jump to listen to. It's an 'all or nothing' listen for me. Last time I listened to it was driving home from our vacation last summer. It has some incredible music on it.

That being said....it still remains pretty much a middle of the road album for me. It's a 'right time/right mood' listen.

BUT....seeing this live was freaking INCREDIBLE!!! I think this album was custom made for a live performance. It was SO good....SO amazing to see. It really is a crime that it wasn't filmed for a BluRay release.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #952 on: July 01, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »
So I was listening to Shadow Gallery's Tyranny last week, and it really reminded me a lot of The Astonishing. I found the pacing very similar with rocking tunes and piano intro mellower songs going back and forth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #953 on: July 26, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
So I was listening to Shadow Gallery's Tyranny last week, and it really reminded me a lot of The Astonishing. I found the pacing very similar with rocking tunes and piano intro mellower songs going back and forth.

:lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #954 on: July 26, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »
Why is that funny?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #955 on: July 26, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »
It is just is, and it is probably best not to infect this thread with any more talk about Shadow Gallery.

Offline Duke59

« Reply #956 on: July 30, 2019, 05:58:04 AM »
Does anybody think like me that the "Astonishing" story was heavily influenced by "Games of thrones" TV series?

"The astonishing" came out in 2016, while Games of thrones was on its sixth season.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #957 on: July 30, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »
Does anybody think like me that the "Astonishing" story was heavily influenced by "Games of thrones" TV series?

"The astonishing" came out in 2016, while Games of thrones was on its sixth season.

JP said that GOT was one of the main influences for TA.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #958 on: July 30, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
Redid my abridged version of The Astonishing:

Gift of Music
Better Life
Savior in the Square
When Your Time Has Come
Three Days
Ravenskill
A Tempting Offer
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
The Path That Divides
Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell
Our New World
Astonishing

Not interested in the story so I didn't care on what songs to cut that were relevant to it. I think I chose the rocking songs from the album. I feel that Moment of Betrayal could work well in their current setlist.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #959 on: September 14, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
I'm listening to the album all the way through and I finally get A New Beginning...

The music reflects Faythes nervousness, and her desire to convince her Father to meet with Gabriel before going to War with Ravenskill. That is until Arabelle blurts out how Nafaryus once had those same desires as his daughter, "Remember, Bug?" Then, the music changes from a nervousness hectic sound into a more Excited, Ecstatic, hecticness. The instrumental outro and guitar solo makes me think of Nafaryus sitting on his throne pondering the decision.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: September 14, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
Is The Answer the shortest full band Dream Theater song ?

Also - just a reminder that I actually purchased the FOUR LP BOXSET version of this album :-)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #961 on: September 15, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
Also - just a reminder that I actually purchased the FOUR LP BOXSET version of this album :-)

I don't have that.  But I do have the box set that has the "script" and the NOMAC action figurrrrrrrrrrrr.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #962 on: September 15, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
• How did you feel about it a year go ?

I felt like it was one of the weaker but more ambitious albums.

• How do you fell about it now ?

I think it is clearly and definitively their worst album.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #963 on: September 15, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »

I still love it every time I listen. I like to listen to the whole thing though and so I don't do it that often. I have one of the songs as a ringtone for my son.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #964 on: September 15, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

I don't have that.  But I do have the box set that has the "script" and the NOMAC action figurrrrrrrrrrrr.

I want to put it on a motor and a string and hang it up. Like those Ghost Halloween decorations that moan and move. But then knowing me I'll drop it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #965 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

I don't remember if I previously responded in this thread, but my take is fairly similar.  I was intrigued by the concept and even signed up for the Empire or the Rebellion (I don't remember which).  After it came out, I tried to get through it a few times but couldn't.  For the longest time, I wouldn't include it in any album rankings because I didn't fee I had given it a fair shake.  Part of the problem for me is that it's hard for me to find 2:10 to just sit and listen through an album.  I've now gotten to the point where I think that it's just not all that good.  It has moments.  There's a very Dregs-like song somewhere towards the end of the first disc or early on the second that I like a lot, and A New Beginning is pretty good, but that's about it.  There is a HUGE amount of sameness on the album, and having James voice all of the characters just doesn't work because it's nearly impossible to keep track of who's who, and I recall the lyrics booklet being rather difficult to read, so that doesn't help.

So, for me, it has usurped the bottom spot on my DT album rankings from FII or SC.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #966 on: September 15, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
Other than the issue of rarely having time due to length, I have never felt any of those other things were a problem.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #967 on: September 15, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
I still give TA a listen at least once a month. I still think it's DT's best album.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #968 on: September 15, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
I still give TA a listen at least once a month. I still think it's DT's best album.

Completely agree! I gave FII a spin the other day and I found it hard to get through and I really like the songs. I don't think people understand or appreciate what it takes to write an Opera.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #969 on: September 15, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »

Completely agree! I gave FII a spin the other day and I found it hard to get through and I really like the songs. I don't think people understand or appreciate what it takes to write an Opera.

Hold on a second...are you suggesting that those of us who don't think highly of TA lack an understanding and appreciation of the effort they put into writing and producing it?  Can't one have an appreciation and understanding but not enjoy it?  I thoroughly understand the effort that JP and JR undoubtedly put into writing TA and that the band put into producing it.  But I don't enjoy it.  It's as simple as that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #970 on: September 15, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »

Just listened to it in full....all at once.....on a road trip for my new job. I think that's the way to do it, it's really best as an 'all in' listen. That's why the concert was so freaking awesome as well.

It's so choc full of great music. I'm utterly blown away by MM's drumming in it as well. If you just hone in on him and listen to what he's doing it's pretty incredible. It goes without saying that JP/JR are amazing as well and for JM to keep up with them and compliment them it's impressive as well. JLB does a great job at the different characters and sounds good.....and when he sang it live he sounded great also.

But it really is a divider of fans. I personally wouldn't say it's their 'best' album ever......but it's a remarkable piece of work that surely is worthy of praise.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #971 on: September 15, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »

Hold on a second...are you suggesting that those of us who don't think highly of TA lack an understanding and appreciation of the effort they put into writing and producing it?  Can't one have an appreciation and understanding but not enjoy it?  I thoroughly understand the effort that JP and JR undoubtedly put into writing TA and that the band put into producing it.  But I don't enjoy it.  It's as simple as that.

Yeah - pretty much.

But I don't mean that in a denigrating way. I actually grew up in a period where musicals and operas were the theme of the day. Did you?

For example, with Hamilton, we've actually seen a renaissance in operatic activity but with rap music.  TA has some exceptional moments that make this the very definition of what it means to be Dream Theater. Frankly, if you have an appreciation for something, you're enjoying it at SOME level. It's as complicated as that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #972 on: September 15, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »

Yeah - pretty much.

Sorry, but that's just beyond absurd.

But I don't mean that in a denigrating way. I actually grew up in a period where musicals and operas were the theme of the day. Did you?

I'll be happy to answer that question if you explain what you mean by "grew up in a period where musicals and operas were the theme of the day."  I assume you grew up sometime in the last 50 or so years and aren't a time traveler who grew up in the early 1800s.  Right?

For example, with Hamilton, we've actually seen a renaissance in operatic activity but with rap music.

Uh huh...and Hamilton won the 2016 Tony Award for best musical.  It was followed in 2017 by Dear Evan Hansen.  I've seen both.  I think Hamilton is phenomenally overrated, and I thought Dear Evan Hansen was just meh.  But, in any event, before Hamilton, we had stuff like Kinky Boots, The Book of Mormon, Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys, Spamalot, The Lion King, Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables.  Some of those I like, some I LOVE, and some I don't care for.  But I understand and appreciate the effort that went into all of them.  But you're saying that's impossible because, if you understand and appreciate the effort that went into something, you MUST like it???

TA has some exceptional moments that make this the very definition of what it means to be Dream Theater.

As someone who's been a Dream Theater fan since 1992, I feel pretty confident I know "what it means to be Dream Theater."  The Astonishing is certainly something that one might expect from DT and, while I agree that it "has some exceptional moments" (but not many), I ultimately don't enjoy it all that much.  Much like Dear Evan Hansen, it's just kinda meh.  And just like DEH, I fully understand and appreciate the effort that went into writing and producing TA.

Frankly, if you have an appreciation for something, you're enjoying it at SOME level. It's as complicated as that.

I completely disagree.

Offline Evai

« Reply #973 on: September 15, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »

Hear hear, it's almost too good. It's been hard for me to appreciate DoT when the previous album was an epic opera. If DoT was the successor to DT12, I'd probably think much more highly of it
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #974 on: September 15, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
The albums not aging very well for me. I kinda liked some of it at first but nowadays I almost completely avoid it. It's DT's worst album by a large margin.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #975 on: September 16, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
Yeah - pretty much.

For example, with Hamilton, we've actually seen a renaissance in operatic activity but with rap music.  TA has some exceptional moments that make this the very definition of what it means to be Dream Theater. Frankly, if you have an appreciation for something, you're enjoying it at SOME level. It's as complicated as that.

Oh, I understand it fine, and I like musicals a lot. I just don't think this is a good album, either as a musical, or as an rock album. I could list over a dozen reasons for this, but I don't want to be accused of "bashing" the band, so I just hope you'll trust me instead of insisting that I just don't "get it"  :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: September 16, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
Last time I listened to it was actually seeing it live in NYC, Radio City Music Hall, April 2016.  By far my least favorite DT album.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #977 on: September 16, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »
Yeah - pretty much.

Oh, I understand it fine, and I like musicals a lot. I just don't think this is a good album, either as a musical, or as an rock album. I could list over a dozen reasons for this, but I don't want to be accused of "bashing" the band, so I just hope you'll trust me instead of insisting that I just don't "get it"  :lol

You kidding - your sig pic is Godzilla. That counts for something.  ;D

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #978 on: September 16, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
I still love the album, it has become a top 3 album for me. I rarely can listen to it in its entirety but I usually listen 5-7 songs at a time.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »

I get that you're defending the band and all but...

The effort one makes to produce a work of art has precisely nothing to do with the artistic quality of said work of art.  It's utterly irrelevant. 

An album like this was always going to divide the fan base because it's a pretty major detour for this band, stylistically speaking.  For me, the story is...not very compelling.  That's probably because it's grounded in reality and I always felt there was a weird disconnect between the extremely serious sounding music and the lyrics, which I can only describe as...mostly not too great.