Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 173090 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year On.
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
Or it made it a truly unique experience for those who paid their own money to see the show, and actually use their own eyes to see a band live, in the flesh, and their own memory banks to remember it.

I saw it with my own eyes three times, and bought six tickets in total. I traveled across state lines twice in order to do so, so you can stop preaching. Here's the thing. Twenty years from now, I will have no memory of that guitar solo. If I'm lucky, there will be a single recording, barely audible that does nothing for JM's bitching bass line, still floating around somewhere on the internet.

The weird thing with me is that I have a horrible memory for concerts. I went to Score and couldn't wait to see the show yet I barely remember anything from the show anymore.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2017, 11:31:40 AM »
Or it made it a truly unique experience for those who paid their own money to see the show, and actually use their own eyes to see a band live, in the flesh, and their own memory banks to remember it.

I saw it with my own eyes three times, and bought six tickets in total. I traveled across state lines twice in order to do so, so you can stop preaching. Here's the thing. Twenty years from now, I will have no memory of that guitar solo. If I'm lucky, there will be a single recording, barely audible that does nothing for JM's bitching bass line, still floating around somewhere on the internet.

The weird thing with me is that I have a horrible memory for concerts. I went to Score and couldn't wait to see the show yet I barely remember anything from the show anymore.

This. I'm thrilled I have a copy of it. The only thing I actually remember about that show were;

1) The curtain being stuck on the right side of the stage during intermission, revealing the orchestra setting up and ruing the surprise.
2) A behemoth of a security guard giving me a death stare when I went to try and touch Jordan when they were waving goodnight to the crowd.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
I actually had every intention of buying The Astonishing on Vinyl but it's like 4 discs and £70.

Far too much. I actually just bought a triple Vinyl album for £25 just to give you an idea how much more The Astonishing is.

Offline skipreid

« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
I hated it the from the first time I listened to it. I tried to listen to it 2 more times over the year. I cannot stand that album. It is horrible. I would rank it last. I am happy for those of you who really love it though. That means you haven't had a DT void in your life over the last year like I have.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
I hated it the from the first time I listened to it. I tried to listen to it 2 more times over the year. I cannot stand that album. It is horrible. I would rank it last. I am happy for those of you who really love it though. That means you haven't had a DT void in your life over the last year like I have.
Is there any songs on it you like?  There are some songs on there that sound like DT staples, Moment Of Betrayal being one of them.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:45 PM »
Is there any songs on it you like?  There are some songs on there that sound like DT staples, Moment Of Betrayal being one of them.

The whole song is amazing to me, but THAT instrumental section and THAT drum solo at the end... perfection.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
Moments of Betrayal has a bit of the same problem Repentance has, where the section they"put on repeat" at the end is just not strong enough to carry the song. MM tries to break the monotony somewhat, but his meter changes are kinda unmusical, IMO. There's probably some cool pattern he does, but to me it sounds random.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

The whole song is amazing to me, but THAT instrumental section and THAT drum solo at the end... perfection.

Drum solo?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »

This. I'm thrilled I have a copy of it. The only thing I actually remember about that show were;

1) The curtain being stuck on the right side of the stage during intermission, revealing the orchestra setting up and ruing the surprise.
2) A behemoth of a security guard giving me a death stare when I went to try and touch Jordan when they were waving goodnight to the crowd.

3.) JP's guitar cutting out during UAGM

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:04 PM »
I remember some scantily clad jail bait in the row before me.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Moments of Betrayal has a bit of the same problem Repentance has, where the section they"put on repeat" at the end is just not strong enough to carry the song. MM tries to break the monotony somewhat, but his meter changes are kinda unmusical, IMO. There's probably some cool pattern he does, but to me it sounds random.
One of my favorite parts of the whole song is the double kick that Mangini does at the end of it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:57 AM »
I remember some scantily clad jail bait in the row before me.

Male or female?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2017, 01:44:41 AM »
I kind of see the point about not having ANY recording of the concerts. I can't imagine why they couldn't release a good audio recording of them.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2017, 04:22:27 AM »
I kind of see the point about not having ANY recording of the concerts. I can't imagine why they couldn't release a good audio recording of them.

On a BlueRay accompanied with the tour visuals... I would buy that

Offline JLa

« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:43 AM »
It's been a year already? Wow.

I must confess I still haven't properly "listened" to it. I bought it on release, played it a few times, was completely underwhelmed and put it in the shelf. Since then I have played the occasional track on Spotify, but I just can't get into it. The story does nothing for me and it's way too mellow for my taste. I use to like DT's ballad-y stuff, but this album was too much.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
I still don't get this. Yes there are like 9 ballads, but also about 20 rocking or heavy songs, twice as many as a normal DT record.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
Well, let's play a game: take Along for the Ride out of DT12, and take a slowish song from The Astonishing, to eventually change the lyrics for, to place it on DT12 instead replacing Along for the Ride as the "ballad" of the album. How many songs off The Astonishing can be used for this? I can count no more than 5 or 6.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
There´s ZERO grit on the so called heavy songs of The Astonishing.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »
At first I was hopeful....sounded good in some places but droned on in quite a few others. 

After about 15 listens I had come to the conclusion it was the worst DT album in their catalog.  Zero five star songs; a few 4 star-songs, 10 or so 3-star songs and the rest not worth listening to.  I left the 3-4 star songs in rotation...but found myself skipping them everytime they came up. 

My overall rating for the album is 51.....without question the worst DT album in their history. 

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:24 PM »

Totally
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
I still don't get this. Yes there are like 9 ballads, but also about 20 rocking or heavy songs, twice as many as a normal DT record.

Really? I must have a hearing problem :lol
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2017, 06:39:03 AM »

Really? I must have a hearing problem :lol

Quite obviously. Are you thinking about getting that checked?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:35 AM »

Bull. MoB and TWS have plenty of grit, to name just 2.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »

What DT songs (outside of TA) do you think have "grit"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »
I'm not even really sure what this means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
And I'm even less sure what that post means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »

This is so stunningly awful, I couldn't not share it :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »
And I'm even less sure what that post means.

Grit...potato grit!!

Offline Evai

« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
James sings with way too much grit nowadays in my opinion (did Wait For Sleep REALLY need it??), don't encourage it!
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »

There are a lot of slow moments. They're not all necessarily ballads but they're not rocking either.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »

Songs
Of
Unsatisfactory
Performances

?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
Giving TA its first front-to-back listen since the first few months of its release. We'll see how it goes...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
I prefer the album to DT12 and that´s the best thing I could say of it.

Well, there´s a couple of moments that I really really like (When your Time Has Come, The Gift of Music), but overall it doesn´t work for me.

And I´m a big Disney fan.  ;D