Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 173109 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year On.
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Speaking of bonus stuff, am I the only one who still hopes there's a reissue of Metropolis 2000 with better quality and the complete setlist?  :'(

I would have liked this also but I think with Mangini in the band, this re-release has a lesser chance of happening. Same for a Score bluray.

But they released the LAB bluray a couple years after he joined.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
I guess I'm one of the few where TA didn't click with at all. I gave it a few spins when it was released and it was incredibly dense and not really interesting. I didn't care for the story or really the music.

I took a listen to again a few weeks ago and I felt the same. Off the top of my head I would rank TA as the worst DT album.

Here is hoping DT tries something different next go around. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
"would you even bother listening to this again if it wasn't Dream Theater?".

Take a plain day with your wife or girlfriend, a day where nothing remarkable happens and she makes an annoying remark or two for trivial stuff. "Would you even date this girl now if she wasn't already your wife?"

Music in a sense is bound to the irrational course of relationships and love: you fall in love (a song hooks you up), you get drawn in (the perfect album makes you a fan) and then you stay on, and either you split (the band changes style and you no longer care) or stay on for live (you appreciate every album).

That trust and connection you build with your significant other is the kind of affection that you develop for a band album after album, they earn the right to mutiple listenings and glossing over the occasional bad song just like nobody divorces after a single trivial fight.

So yeah, maybe you wouldn't listen to this album if it wasn't from Dream Theater - but they made you a fan so they earned those multiple listenings you give to them and not a random band you accidentally follow on YouTube.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
I guess I'm one of the few where TA didn't click with at all. I gave it a few spins when it was released and it was incredibly dense and not really interesting. I didn't care for the story or really the music.

I took a listen to again a few weeks ago and I felt the same. Off the top of my head I would rank TA as the worst DT album.

Same here. After buying it last year I struggled to even finish the whole album and didn't give it another try until a few weeks ago.
After reading this forum I decided to give it a second chance. I'm still pretty sure it stays among my least favorite DT albums but I'm starting to appreciate it much more.

Can't get into the story/lyrics but starting to like some of the individual songs;A Life Left Behind, A New Beginning, Chosen, Our New World.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »
Was really looking forward to it, but only listened to it a couple of times. I will re listen to it while on vacation.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
It seemed to really click with me after I saw the live performance. I also spent a little time learning the lyrics so I could follow the story. At first I didn't care for it as much, I would hear the beginning of many of the songs and think, "too soft". But after the show, I realized there is a lot of great music and James part is fantastic. I actually am choosing to listen to this, but always listen to it in order. I ended up seeing the show 3 times and enjoyed immensely every time.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »
"would you even bother listening to this again if it wasn't Dream Theater?".

Take a plain day with your wife or girlfriend, a day where nothing remarkable happens and she makes an annoying remark or two for trivial stuff. "Would you even date this girl now if she wasn't already your wife?"

Music in a sense is bound to the irrational course of relationships and love: you fall in love (a song hooks you up), you get drawn in (the perfect album makes you a fan) and then you stay on, and either you split (the band changes style and you no longer care) or stay on for live (you appreciate every album).

That trust and connection you build with your significant other is the kind of affection that you develop for a band album after album, they earn the right to mutiple listenings and glossing over the occasional bad song just like nobody divorces after a single trivial fight.

So yeah, maybe you wouldn't listen to this album if it wasn't from Dream Theater - but they made you a fan so they earned those multiple listenings you give to them and not a random band you accidentally follow on YouTube.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. I'm still a Dream Theater fan and will definitely be checking out all of their future albums. It's possible I will really enjoy The Astonishing some day. I'm not going to delete it. For now much like Falling Into Infinity, The Astonishing is an album I'll listen to occasionally like once a year or even every few years.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »

Considering that The Astonishing WAS DT trying something different, and the lukewarm reception to the art they put their hard work, heart and soul into, they may well be put off 'trying something different' forever now and just revert to type for future albums.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »

Considering that The Astonishing WAS DT trying something different, and the lukewarm reception to the art they put their hard work, heart and soul into, they may well be put off 'trying something different' forever now and just revert to type for future albums.

Unfortuntely I think this might be true...

Loved the Astonishing but would love if they did something they have never done before on the next album.

How about an EP with just 5 or 6 short songs, around the 3 or 4 minute mark.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

Different to TA? I'd bet my pants on that.

Different to the usual DT drill? I kinda doubt it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

Yeah, I think somewhat of a "revert to type" is likely.  But that's fine, since "type" for DT is pretty much an A+ proposition most of the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »
Give me "run-of-the-mill" DT any day...for me, if the template of future albums is similar to DT12, I´ll be happy!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
DT haven't failed me yet, until then I don't have any real opinion on the next direction, just for them to continue being them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
I've said for as far back as I can remember that I'd love to see Dream Theater do an all acoustic studio release, with Jordan on a piano. It wouldn't have to be a full-on new record, but rather something to bide the time between releases.

Sevendust did this same thing with its Time Travelers & Bonfires release. They did six new songs, acoustic, and then re-worked six of its older tunes on acoustic. Then they went out and toured on it, learning a few more tunes along the way. It really came across great. And then they went back into the studio, and put out a crushing album (Kill the Flaw).

For DT, an EP like this, with a few new acoustic originals, and a few re-worked classics, would be a cool new direction for them, even if just an experiment to recharge the batteries for a bit in-between regular studio record releases...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
I like the idea, but would slightly modify it in the sense that I would love to see a "smaller" DT. I feel they've been trying to go bigger with every release, and TA obviously was as big as they may ever attempt to go. I think it would work well if DT tried to do what they usually do, but with maybe a classic 7-piece drum kit, a piano, and a simple amp (not a Triple Rectifier plus chorus etc etc).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
I'm all for the idea! the FII acoustic shows were something unique in their entire history, nothing like that happened before or since. The idea of a bridge album, some original tunes and some other ones reworked is quite good, it's something different from the same old album tour album tour thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
I'd love an acoustic record from DT but I don't think it'll ever happen, maybe some more acoustic tracks. I do agree with you rumbo that a less bigger DT would be cool.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
I'm all for the idea! the FII acoustic shows were something unique in their entire history, nothing like that happened before or since.

If you're strict about the definition of DT, then yes you are correct. But, there was also "An Evening With JP and JR", and it was fricking fantastic. If I were to rank it as an album, it'd be middle of the pack I think.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
How about an EP with just 5 or 6 short songs, around the 3 or 4 minute mark.

I've said for as far back as I can remember that I'd love to see Dream Theater do an all acoustic studio release, with Jordan on a piano. It wouldn't have to be a full-on new record, but rather something to bide the time between releases.

I like these ideas. Maybe an EP for each idea then back to a full length album.

Yeah, I think somewhat of a "revert to type" is likely.  But that's fine, since "type" for DT is pretty much an A+ proposition most of the time.

Agreed.

Give me "run-of-the-mill" DT any day...for me, if the template of future albums is similar to DT12, I´ll be happy!

Agreed even though I liked the previous album more.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:43 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:25 AM »
As a project it is definetely one of  the most daring and ambitious concepts I've seen a band attempt since Queensryche's O:M or The Who's Tommy/Quadrophenia. I can't even begin to imagine the energy and effort it must have taken to shape this whole thing. Speaking of which anyone know how the status of the Limited Edition Media Box thing is?
I think however, it is time to move on to different things now for the band. I for one am very curious what they have in store next.   
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
As a project it is definetely one of  the most daring and ambitious concepts I've seen a band attempt since Queensryche's O:M or The Who's Tommy/Quadrophenia. I can't even begin to imagine the energy and effort it must have taken to shape this whole thing. Speaking of which anyone know how the status of the Limited Edition Media Box thing is?
I think however, it is time to move on to different things now for the band. I for one am very curious what they have in store next.

Pretty sure that what they have in store next will tske no risks and will risk being labled as DT by the numbers

Hope I am wrong though and that they do something they have never done before

Offline JRuless

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2017, 02:12:58 AM »
The fan pleasing set they perform at this moment is enough pleasing for the next years IMHO. After that I would like to see DT take a little breath and write the thing they want to. Not thinking in sequals or what fans would like...but if they put a ear,  I suggest more fusion: metal meets tango, walz, boogie woogie

Offline CB

« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
I agree with both.
Perhaps they could release a 2 disc album with disc 2 being acoustic versions of the songs on disc 1, and play a longer than usual acoustic part in the live shows? For me the acoustic parts are always highlights and I'd also love to see a 100% acoustic show, but I doubt they'd risk anything like that, especially after the result of taking risks with TA.

I'd love an acoustic record from DT but I don't think it'll ever happen, maybe some more acoustic tracks. I do agree with you rumbo that a less bigger DT would be cool.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
I really don't view this as a Dream Theater album. It's more a really thought out concept performed by Dream Theater. Which makes the Live shows have more sense.

But I/We don't know whose idea it was to not have pics and vids, but that was the one decision that affected the band. Especially in these times when people are addicted to YouTube and need to have video before actually being surprised at a live show. I don't blame them for trying to bring it back like the old days before phones. I am glad I got to experience a few shows like that.

What I just realized, we only have like what not many vids of The Astonishing live and audio as well, which then that's all people who never went to these shows will judge it by. Which in turn, the people whom went will say it was a great show, because they went to it. And that's the way Steven Wilson feels about his shows. I don't mind because we are not spoiled with so many great shows like them big cities.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »
TA has a place on the shelf for me. I listened to it heavily when my dog was dying and it brings back very sad emotions for me so I am very selective as to when I listen now. It has nothing to do with the album in itself moreso the timing and what was happening in my life when I began listening to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
YtseJam,   so sorry about your dog.  I can see why some songs on TA would be hard to listen to. Just the melody lines in the music can make you sentimental and spark memories. I can relate, I miss my doggies too, immensely!
   TA will always be a very special album to me, beyond amazing!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
Architeuthis, thanks. I was destroyed and brought to tears many times so when I hear those melodies I'm lucky no one else is around because the eyes start to water. The worst part about having a dog is the ending.   :'(

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
The one thing I can say about the whole 'no pics/filming' policy is that it made for a quite unique experience of watching a band play in a theater. If they were to do it once, this was definetely the show to do that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »
The one thing I can say about the whole 'no pics/filming' policy is that it made for a quite unique experience of watching a band play in a theater. If they were to do it once, this was definetely the show to do that.

Now that there is not live release on the way, I completely disagree with this. I didn't mind it at the time, but now there's like one source of footage for the extended guitar solo in A New Beginning, and it's trash.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »
Or it made it a truly unique experience for those who paid their own money to see the show, and actually use their own eyes to see a band live, in the flesh, and their own memory banks to remember it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
Or it made it a truly unique experience for those who paid their own money to see the show, and actually use their own eyes to see a band live, in the flesh, and their own memory banks to remember it.

By that logic there would never be any live DVDs ever.

Every sperm show is sacred.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »

I saw it with my own eyes three times, and bought six tickets in total. I traveled across state lines twice in order to do so, so you can stop preaching. Here's the thing. Twenty years from now, I will have no memory of that guitar solo. If I'm lucky, there will be a single recording, barely audible that does nothing for JM's bitching bass line, still floating around somewhere on the internet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2017, 10:43:04 AM »

I saw it with my own eyes three times, and bought six tickets in total. I traveled across state lines twice in order to do so, so you can stop preaching. Here's the thing. Twenty years from now, I will have no memory of that guitar solo. If I'm lucky, there will be a single recording, barely audible that does nothing for JM's bitching bass line, still floating around somewhere on the internet.

Eh. It's only like what a couple more seconds of solo. Not big of a deal. I've heard plenty of fadeout solos that those bands never play.

What's worse than that is when bands don't play the actual ending of the one main intro melody on the single instrument, ACOS. Or worse, skip the last vocal verse all together, Fates Warning - Still Remains.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »

Eh. It's only like what a couple more seconds of solo. Not big of a deal. I've heard plenty of fadeout solos that those bands never play.

I wholeheartedly disagree. That was face melting, scary good territory. Even more so than Hollow Years on on LAB IMO.