Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.  (Read 49338 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #840 on: December 27, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Amazingly nobody sought it in South America

I know a many people who would've loved to have it here (Peru), but unfortunately there's not enough mainstream demand for DT's management to accept playing here again (only played here once, in 2010).

However, Brazil, Chile and Argentina always have at least one or two dates each when DT tours, so I bet it had something to do with TA Live not being as succesful there as they expected.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #841 on: December 27, 2018, 11:45:09 PM »
Amazingly nobody sought it in South America

I know a many people who would've loved to have it here (Peru), but unfortunately there's not enough mainstream demand for DT's management to accept playing here again (only played here once, in 2010).

However, Brazil, Chile and Argentina always have at least one or two dates each when DT tours, so I bet it had something to do with TA Live not being as succesful there as they expected.

I recall seing pics of these venues filled and they even had 2 dates in Chile and 2 dates in Mexico City, and the riskiest show was arguably the Guadalajara one which sold out completely.

They pretty much wasted a chance to print money by not bringing the I&W tour here.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #842 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Honestly climaxes like the end of The Path That Divides are among the greatest in DT history

I think what gets lost in the conversation about this album is how many songs actually do have epic/dramatic endings.  I think some got so focused on the shorter song lengths that they overlooked how epic some of the songs really are.  Heck, songs like Act of Faythe and Losing Faythe don't get talked about a lot, relative to other songs from the record, but both have endings I would describe as epic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #843 on: December 29, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
  Heck, songs like Act of Faythe and Losing Faythe don't get talked about a lot, relative to other songs from the record, but both have endings I would describe as epic.

I love both songs and they both made my Astonishing Abridged CD. Losing Faith is absolutely amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • RIP Edward Bozoian, my best friend. 1989 - 2009
    • Link to my solo album
« Reply #844 on: December 29, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
I think Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is one of DT's most beautiful, epic endings of all time. I've said it before, but I wish they would have done it where instead of Gabriel gaining his voice back and saving Faythe, they just had the entire town sing (represented by that choir part, "glorious sound...") and that's what saved Faythe. I think it would have made that part of the story a bit more touching and beautiful because it would have shown that all in all Gabriel's gift wasn't music because everyone had 'the gift of music' inside of them all along His gift was the ability to inspire change and show the people that they just needed to embrace music, as well as show them that when everyone works together (sings together) they're more powerful than any one man could ever be.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #845 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
I still think that naming the main character Gabriel was the right call... and it doesn't have anything to do with my name being Gabriel... of course not... :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: December 29, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
I think Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is one of DT's most beautiful, epic endings of all time. I've said it before, but I wish they would have done it where instead of Gabriel gaining his voice back and saving Faythe, they just had the entire town sing (represented by that choir part, "glorious sound...") and that's what saved Faythe. I think it would have made that part of the story a bit more touching and beautiful because it would have shown that all in all Gabriel's gift wasn't music because everyone had 'the gift of music' inside of them all along His gift was the ability to inspire change and show the people that they just needed to embrace music, as well as show them that when everyone works together (sings together) they're more powerful than any one man could ever be.

I like that. And I agree about that first sentence. It's the closer on my Astonishing Abridged CD and it's really the perfect ending IMO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #847 on: December 29, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
  Heck, songs like Act of Faythe and Losing Faythe don't get talked about a lot, relative to other songs from the record, but both have endings I would describe as epic.

I love both songs and they both made my Astonishing Abridged CD. Losing Faith is absolutely amazing.

I think Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is one of DT's most beautiful, epic endings of all time.

I like that. And I agree about that first sentence. It's the closer on my Astonishing Abridged CD and it's really the perfect ending IMO.

:eek :eek :eek

What happened to the TAC who wants his music to always ROCK? :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: December 29, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
Oh Shoot! :facepalm:

I meant My Last Farewell!  :lol
Losing Faith blows! :lol :lol

My Last Farewell is amazing!

And Act Of Faythe is awesome too! ;D

Honestly Kev, I don't need, or want, my metal from Dream Theater. Before The Astonishing, the two things I wanted most from a new Dream Theater album was more piano and more James. The Astonishing gave us that in spades.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #849 on: December 29, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »
I had forgotten about this meme I saw a couple years ago, and am re-posting it here because:

1. It's hillarious
2. It's TA related (hey, it has JP, JM and a NOMAC)

:biggrin:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:15:13 PM by gzarruk »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: December 29, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
Is that Splent on top?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #851 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
Honestly Kev, I don't need, or want, my metal from Dream Theater. Before The Astonishing, the two things I wanted most from a new Dream Theater album was more piano and more James. The Astonishing gave us that in spades.

Jokes aside, I totally know what you mean.  :tup :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #852 on: December 30, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
Tosin doesnt even look like he's photoshopped in.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #853 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:51 PM »
When I first heard TA, it didn't feel like my cup of tea somehow. I remember really zooming in on the heavier tracks like Three Days and The Walking Shadow and being kind of turned off by the more piano-based ones. At the time, I wasn't even interested in seeing them live here in São Paulo. I just wrote it off as "the one Dream Theater album I'm not crazy about".

A few years later, here am I, listening to this thing on repeat for days, sorely lamenting having missed that show (though I guess I wouldn't have enjoyed it then as I would now).

I don't know if I went soft in my old age or if my horizons broadened a little bit, but the whole thing is speaking to me now more than ever. The whole thing kind of sounds like the angelical counterpart to the obviously demonic group Devil Doll and their sprawling epics, in a way.

With all that being said, it'd be killer if, for this tour around a (presumably) heavier album, it'd be great if TA were represented by a "Nafaryus Section" with Lord Nafaryus and/or Three Days! Fat chance, but who knows?

EDIT:

Subsequent thoughts:

- To me, this feels like the achievement of what the band were aiming for in the title track for 6DOIT.

- If I had to find a word for this album, it'd be "Rewarding".

- That melody around the part where Faythe sings "This very moment (...)" in When Your Time Has Come (and its subsequent appearances) may be my favorite moment in the whole thing, along with the calm piano part in Ravenskill.

- This album is a master class in how to use a 7-string without screaming HEY, I'M USING A SEVEN STRING GUITAR!! I know JP has showed he knows his way around the guitar, but the sudden low notes really work in the arrangement, like in Brother Can You Hear Me.

- Now, my only criticism of the album is for the fade-out in A New Beginning. I'll look into how they solved that one live!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:41:34 PM by porcacultor »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #854 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:06 AM »
- Now, my only criticism of the album is for the fade-out in A New Beginning. I'll look into how they solved that one live!

If that outgoing solo was ever recorded live and put on DVD, it would have overtaken the Hollow Years solo from LAB as JP's best guitar solo.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #855 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:43 AM »

- This album is a master class in how to use a 7-string without screaming HEY, I'M USING A SEVEN STRING GUITAR!! I know JP has showed he knows his way around the guitar, but the sudden low notes really work in the arrangement, like in Brother Can You Hear Me.

Spot on. The 7-string works more harmonically than just a rhythmic chugga chugga chugga... BTW, salve salve, paulista(no)!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #856 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »

Spot on. The 7-string works more harmonically than just a rhythmic chugga chugga chugga... BTW, salve salve, paulista(no)!

More Brazilians her on DTF? Yessss!!!!