Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 174677 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #735 on: December 08, 2018, 03:08:32 AM »
:metal :metal :metal

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #736 on: December 08, 2018, 03:12:46 AM »
Mark and Rodrigo, that is awesome!!! Loved your posts!

Reading this thread made me wanting to listen to TA again. I still think it's a huge effort and all in all just a masterpiece.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #737 on: December 10, 2018, 12:57:18 AM »
So cool you guys. I absolutely love it.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: December 10, 2018, 02:46:49 AM »
Cheers mates !
My daughter is not even 5 months old, but I have high hopes haha
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #739 on: December 10, 2018, 04:21:04 AM »
The Astonishing lovers unite.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #740 on: December 10, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
A couple years (and at least a half dozen complete play-throughs) under my belt have left me with two distinct thoughts.

1. The Astonishing is an impenetrable mess of an album. I get what they were trying to do, but it is simply not for me. (this could change though as I have found it less burdensome to get through on my last playthrough than ever before...but I kinda hate the idea that I need to 'try' to get through a record. Life's way to short for that.

2. A Life Left Behind is my favorite song from this band since Octavarium, and easily in my top 5 for them all time. I don't know what it is about that song, but man, it just kills me every time.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #741 on: December 11, 2018, 02:12:37 AM »
I still feel it's one of the most ambitious and progressive albums of the band.
Sure it might be a departure from their "core" sound, but that's the point of progressive music in general i think.

There are some awesome melodies in there, one of James' finest albums, that could be helped with a bit of trimming, but i still listen to a lot of songs.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #742 on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:28 AM »
Just popping in to say that TA is still my favorite DT album.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #743 on: December 11, 2018, 07:19:20 AM »
Sure it might be a departure from their "core" sound, but that's the point of progressive music in general i think.

There are some awesome melodies in there, one of James' finest albums, that could be helped with a bit of trimming, but i still listen to a lot of songs.

I could not agree more with that statement! James owns the Astonishing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #744 on: December 11, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »

+1 to all of this.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #745 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
Just popping in to say that TA is still my favorite DT album.

It's not my favorite, but it has aged really well with me over the last couple years.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #746 on: December 11, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
I would have liked a tad more differences in the voices of the characters.  Maybe add some effects to some of them.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #747 on: December 11, 2018, 08:56:07 AM »
The title of this thread should be "The Astonishing Thread.  Haters stay the f out!" haha j/k
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #748 on: December 11, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
I would have liked a tad more differences in the voices of the characters.  Maybe add some effects to some of them.

Seeing as they were playing to a click track live, I don't get why they couldn't have had a few female voices on the album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: December 11, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »

Seeing as they were playing to a click track live, I don't get why they couldn't have had a few female voices on the album.

My guess was they just didn't want to get stuck with an album on their discography with other vocalists being a main part.  Let JLB sing it all formally and if it came possible to do it live with others they could record that, which obviously never happened, but I am just guessing that's why the album is with JLB only. 

The whole thing that makes me so upset is that this album didn't get the proper live release it deserves.  If it was more popular I'd imagine they would have done it and maybe do it with a special show with orchestra/choir/guests. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #750 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »

My guess was they just didn't want to get stuck with an album on their discography with other vocalists being a main part.  Let JLB sing it all formally and if it came possible to do it live with others they could record that, which obviously never happened, but I am just guessing that's why the album is with JLB only. 

The whole thing that makes me so upset is that this album didn't get the proper live release it deserves.  If it was more popular I'd imagine they would have done it and maybe do it with a special show with orchestra/choir/guests.

Yeah. It definitely sucks. If there was ever a tour that was worthy of a proper filming and presentation, this was it. I like to think that had TA come out instead of Octavarium, it would have gotten a proper filming. I just don't think the money is in it anymore to put on that kind of a production.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #751 on: December 11, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
TA is #3 in my list of favorite DT albums.

I don't get why people feel like they have to listen through the whole album.  I rarely do.  I just listen to 3 or 4 songs here and there and never listen through the whole album.

I purposely ignored the official explanations/backstories for the fictional characters.  I don't even know what the plot is supposed to be.  I make up my own story (which probably is pretty close to the "official" plot, but I since I'm not aware what the plot is supposed to be, I'm not sure how well it aligns).  I enjoy doing this.

The more I enjoy TA, the less I appreciate the stereotypical DT fan.  People clamored for the band to do something different, and when they did, severly critised them.  It seems like progressive music fans just want the same tried and true DT formula (which is a good formula I must admit).  It just seems like there isn't much experimentation in prog anymore, which increases my appreciation for TA.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #752 on: December 11, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
People want whatever they like, and they don't even know it until they got it.

Music stirs deep passions and love, and just like feelings, is not rational. If DT had done something "different", and whatever "different" meant happened to be stuff that people who dislike The Astonishing liked, they would have praised the band for doing so.

Music has to click somehow, and as I said, it's not always rational. Describe me your perfect girl... what is she like? let's assume you like her tall, with dark hair and brown eyes. I bring you to meet a tall girl with dark hair and brown eyes and still you don't like her. Why? because feelings and attraction do not follow a precise formula. So is music, you could ask for a specific song in a certain style with a certain tempo and with lyrics about a subject you care, get that exact song, and still not like it. With music it's a toss, really, it has to either click with you or it doesn't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #753 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »
Personally, I'm glad they didn't add other voices to the album.  I think James' performance is incredible, and live he really brought it all to life.  If they ever do a broadway-type treatment and have other singers do different parts, I think it would be cool.  But I love the album as it is and was glad they didn't have a cast of singers touring with them. 

To MirrorMask's point - I think that's definitely true.  There are bands that I should like "on paper," but I just don't.  If The Astonishing didn't move some of the fanbase, then so be it.  It happens.  But I wish some of those people could have left the vitriol behind.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #754 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
Indeed, there's nothing wrong with some people not liking it, but what I can't stand is people saying things like "DT can't do good prog metal anymore" or "this isn't prog/metal enough". I mean, they made a slightly different concept album with the focus on it as a rock opera, something like Ayreon would do. It's not like they released a polka or gangsta rap album and released it as a prog metal album. Some people just complain for the sake of it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #755 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Thoroughly enjoy TA - a shame there is no live DVD/Bluray. And how about that swingjazz blast beat section in Three Days... :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #756 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
Thoroughly enjoy TA - a shame there is no live DVD/Bluray. And how about that swingjazz blast beat section in Three Days... :metal

And some people say they don't do anything new/different anymore :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #757 on: December 11, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »

Yea. I didn't care much for the album. It was just too much and too samey for me. However, I might have enjoyed watching it (not in person) a lot more. I'm not super likely to dedicate 2 hours or whatever to a CD. But I'd gladly dedicate that time to a live DVD.

Now, if they did a full on production with different singers as the cast? Oh hell yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: December 11, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »

And some people say they don't do anything new/different anymore :lol

:lol you can't win with the dt fan base

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #759 on: December 11, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
Still hoping for a live album, but that ship already sailed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: December 11, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Yea, I gave up hope awhile ago.  Might have to wait for the 15 or 20 year anniversary tour to catch them doing it again  :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
To be honest, Ayreon's concept album plots are also fairly silly, if not very cliché
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #762 on: December 11, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Yea, I gave up hope awhile ago.  Might have to wait for the 15 or 20 year anniversary tour to catch them doing it again  :lol

Except for one or two songs, I think it's pretty much done.  Even they abandoned it for the Images and Words nostalgia tour sadly...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #763 on: December 11, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
Blame the very vocal section of the fanbase that hated it for that :tdwn

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #764 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
I still like The Astonishing.  I probably rate it as my 3rd favorite DT album.  If anything whether or not I enjoyed the songs or not, I would have still praise DT for being this ambitious which I feel like should be the spirit of any kind of progressive music.  I feel like when fans want "this and that" and they want at a certain way and bands deliver "this and that" on the fans' whims, especially if they are a progressive band, I feel like that band is no longer progressive or ambitious.

I would always prefer bands with a long-enduring fanbase that takes fans on their journey, their vision without any outside influences (labels, managers, fans, whatever) and the fans is willing to bite on it and is along for the ride (pun intended).  I was listening to Owl City's Cinematic album that came out this year and this dude that created Fireflies and the Ocean Eyes album and people wanted him to go back to doing the Ocean Eyes sound.  Instead, with Owl City's Cinematic album, Adam Young talked about the stories and events of his personal life and had a sound that is still him, but interpreted in many different ways and it is still Owl City.  It isn't Ocean Eyes, but seeing Owl City live, his fans still like it enough, and he played 10 songs from the new album in his shows and everyone still love those songs and sang along with it (included the song All My Friends, which everyone hated on first listen and they probably still hate the studio version).

I hoped that the same effect happened regarding The Astonishing.  Imagine what would have happened if a lot more people went along for the ride regarding The Astonishing and not have this rather unnecessary vocal backlash.  The ambition that went into The Astonishing can be translated into future works.  I don't know if Distance Over Time can carry on with the same ambition that went into The Astonishing, but I'm not feeling that ambition so far with Untethered Angel (it's still a good song though, but I feel it lacks something) in comparison to The Gift of Music which had that sort of music whimsicalness that can take you on an adventure.  I prefer whimsicalness over dark and broody sounds at times (which is why I'm listening to Owl City more often in comparison to other music).

I would like to be proven wrong as always, but it's a "we'll see what happens" like many things.

One more thought about a particular song from The Astonishing.  Hymn of A Thousand Voices made me have a tear in my eye when I read the actual meaning to it in relation to the story.  Heck, it makes me want to try to find some way to sing it at my local church (very few songs I like in life has that sort of effect where I want to sing it out loud at a local church and feel proud of it).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:24:05 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #765 on: December 11, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
That's a really cool post Anguyen.  I see where you're coming from about the journey and experimentation, but I"m not quite as concerned about DT.  I do indeed wish more of the fan base had liked it - or at least that the naysayers had been more respectful.  However, I feel like DT is pretty passionate about their heavy side, and even if the reaction to the Astonishing had been overwhelmingly positive, they still might have wanted to do something similar to what they're doing now.  Because they would have gotten the theatrical, and somewhat lighter, project out of their system for a bit and would have been eager to write something heavier anyway.  I feel like Distance Over Time could be fresh and exciting - I guess time will soon tell. :)

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #766 on: December 11, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »
I loved the Astonishing on it’s release and still do. There is something about it that really got me invested in the musical adventure it takes on. I do enjoy a good musical and can almost see this on a broadway setting. It was big and bold and has some phenomenal musical pieces throughout.

What is interesting to me is I love a long DT epic with the best of them. But one of my favourite little bits of music from TA is “The Answer”, clocking in just shy of 2 minutes. And this is one of the things I love about the band - they can put out so many great sections of music in a variety of different ways. There’s a few tracks like the Nomac ones and whispers on the wind which I tend to skip, but not really a big deal in the current age of playlists. On the whole, there seemed to be some fairly vocal detractors from the album, but so be it. Doesn’t ruin my enjoyment of the album, so I’ll just to continue to crank it in my car and sing along hard, even though I can’t hold a note to save myself 😊

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #767 on: December 12, 2018, 06:07:08 AM »

One more thought about a particular song from The Astonishing.  Hymn of A Thousand Voices

I have a very difficult time deciding whether this song or Chosen is my favorite on the album. Hymn of A Thousand Voices was so awesome live with the crowd singing/screaming the "Glorious sound - Guide her tonight - Out of the darkness - Into the light" part.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is awesome, and it is the closer on my Astonishing Abridged CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #769 on: December 12, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »
I only listen to certain tracks I like (which aren't that many).  Probably about 9 songs total.  Lately, I really like The X Aspect.  Great beginning, very melodic and continues to build throughout until it kicks me to the curb with the bagpipes.  :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White