Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 174850 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, FIVE YEARS On.
« Reply #1505 on: January 17, 2023, 05:47:18 AM »
As I mentioned in my last post, there are no songs I think of as drop-dead classics. I would say these are my faves; The Gift of Music, When Your Time Has Come, Chosen, A Life Left Behind, Moment of Betrayal, Begin Again, and Our New World. 

Do any of you considerate some tracks from this album as a “top 10” or “top 20” song?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1506 on: January 17, 2023, 07:10:57 AM »
As I mentioned in my last post, there are no songs I think of as drop-dead classics. I would say these are my faves; The Gift of Music, When Your Time Has Come, Chosen, A Life Left Behind, Moment of Betrayal, Begin Again, and Our New World. 

Do any of you considerate some tracks from this album as a “top 10” or “top 20” song?

I think you hit the nail on the head. There are no drop dead classics, though songs like Gift of Music are very good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1507 on: January 17, 2023, 07:17:05 AM »
Even though most of the songs are great on their own, the strength of the album isn't in its indivitual songs. It's about the whole thing. It's like asking if any of the songs that SDOIT is comprised of would make my top twenty.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1508 on: January 17, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »

Chosen and Losing Faythe. Chosen is in my top 5, while Losing Faythe is in the top 20.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1509 on: January 17, 2023, 07:26:10 AM »
Even though most of the songs are great on their own, the strength of the album isn't in its indivitual songs. It's about the whole thing. It's like asking if any of the songs that SDOIT is comprised of would make my top twenty.

I agree with you up until thank you up until SDOIT. I would put one or two parts of that in my top ten. But I know what you mean.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1510 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:52 AM »

I view Operas as what movies were before the invention of film, same as a play. And therefore, I have favorite scenes/acts.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1511 on: January 18, 2023, 06:38:47 AM »
Moment of Betrayal is a kickass song. I'd love to hear it grace one of our setlists in the near future.

That said, my favorite single moment in the whole Astonishing is My Last Farwell. James absolutely nailed the emotional range here. It never fails, right at 1:45 ("Don't leave me now") to 2:13 ("All your life, you have walked alone, Now I am your hope, so take my hand.." ), this usually stoic girl is choked up with sobs.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1512 on: January 18, 2023, 07:36:22 AM »
Moment of Betrayal is a kickass song. I'd love to hear it grace one of our setlists in the near future.

That said, my favorite single moment in the whole Astonishing is My Last Farwell. James absolutely nailed the emotional range here. It never fails, right at 1:45 ("Don't leave me now") to 2:13 ("All your life, you have walked alone, Now I am your hope, so take my hand.." ), this usually stoic girl is choked up with sobs.

I'm with you on MLF.  :metal

This is my go to song when I rarely get to introduce people to DT.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1513 on: January 23, 2023, 05:37:15 AM »
Interesting to let My Last Farewell be a mans intro to Dream Theater.

One of my favorite moments on The Astonishing is the intro of A Savior In the Square. Is has that The Killing Hand-perfection on it that moves me each time I hear it. I might have listen to the whole conceptalbum at least twenty times, my vinyl has a regular spin, but still... still it's hard for me to place it in their discography.

I am reading the novell again, that helps the story being brought to life for sure. I even 've seen the whole freaking Breaking the Absolutes from Peter Orrulian on Youtube, a 7-hour gide through. So this album is pretty time-consuming and I love it.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1514 on: March 10, 2023, 09:31:42 AM »

One of my favorite moments on The Astonishing is the intro of A Savior In the Square. Is has that The Killing Hand-perfection on it that moves me each time I hear it.
That is a beautiful piece of music for sure! I love the last change in the chord phrasing before it goes back to the section where the lead guitar comes in. That is pure bliss!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SIX YEARS On.
« Reply #1515 on: March 10, 2023, 09:39:17 AM »
Thread title corrected for accuracy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1516 on: March 10, 2023, 11:25:52 AM »
Actually as of Jan 29, it's 7 years.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1517 on: March 10, 2023, 11:36:57 AM »
Thread title corrected for accuracy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.
« Reply #1518 on: March 11, 2023, 01:19:08 AM »
I'm sure this has been said before, but the whole concept of this album is like Game of Thrones meets 2112.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1519 on: March 11, 2023, 01:46:07 AM »
Moreso Romeo and Juliet meets 2112.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1520 on: March 11, 2023, 05:04:48 AM »
Moreso Romeo and Juliet meets 2112.
and including Jesus Christ The Criminal :D (seriously though, I did spot some references to that musical as well, as well as Les Miserables (Brother Can You Hear Me especially) and some more references to ALW musicals (some obvious, some less so) I still like it, far more so than Met2 even, concerning the execution anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:25:24 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1521 on: October 13, 2023, 05:48:37 PM »
Well, decided to bump this thread as Ross Jennings of Haken had some thoughts about the Astonishing in a Loudwire article where musicians talks about bands' 13th album.  Here's what he had to say.  I do agree on what could have been if they decided to collaborate with other vocalists ala Ayreon and see how that turned out rather than have JLB handle all of the vocals.  Maybe it could have been better with him having to play off other vocalists for this kind of album.

I have huge admiration for Dream Theater’s 13th album, The Astonishing not least for it’s hugely ambitious nature of fusing music, theater and science fiction literature, but indeed by inviting the listener into a whole universe of multimedia in order to consume their story, it is suddenly so much more than your average rock ’n’ roll concept album.

As someone who also writes music and lyrics through a very visual perspective, I truly appreciated the layers that were packed into forming the concept, and anyone who cared to explore this world in details that transcend the music and lyrics were truly rewarded.

After all, The Astonishing is a difficult record to appreciate casually, and while it’s not devoid of many signature Dream Theater musical traits, and contains a handful of really strong stand alone singles, it is, and must be approached as, a fully fledged piece of musical theater that demands the listener's time, effort and close attention. I always appreciate the record more with this in mind.

“People just don’t have the time for music any more” was the ultimate statement here about how music is consumed in a modern age and with an album as involved and epic as The Astonishing, I feel it proved its own case in point.

I’ve always wondered if The Astonishing may have polarized the hardcore fanbase less had this been approached as a more collaborative project a la Ayreon or even if the focus had been steered more toward an elaborate stage production with a variety of actors, singers, props and pyro? Having said this, James LaBrie gets a special mention from me for his truly admirable performance and portrayal of various characters.

And as for the legacy this album will leave, I guess time will really tell. I still return to this album and discover new things to take away from the experience, and while at the point of release we all may have been expecting another Scenes from a Memory, time has allowed us to reflect upon and appreciate the versatility this band has at communicating concept albums in unique ways.

https://loudwire.com/best-13th-albums-rock-metal-bands/

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1522 on: October 14, 2023, 05:01:46 AM »
Well, decided to bump this thread as Ross Jennings of Haken had some thoughts about the Astonishing in a Loudwire article where musicians talks about bands' 13th album.  Here's what he had to say.  I do agree on what could have been if they decided to collaborate with other vocalists ala Ayreon and see how that turned out rather than have JLB handle all of the vocals.  Maybe it could have been better with him having to play off other vocalists for this kind of album.

I have huge admiration for Dream Theater’s 13th album, The Astonishing not least for it’s hugely ambitious nature of fusing music, theater and science fiction literature, but indeed by inviting the listener into a whole universe of multimedia in order to consume their story, it is suddenly so much more than your average rock ’n’ roll concept album.

As someone who also writes music and lyrics through a very visual perspective, I truly appreciated the layers that were packed into forming the concept, and anyone who cared to explore this world in details that transcend the music and lyrics were truly rewarded.

After all, The Astonishing is a difficult record to appreciate casually, and while it’s not devoid of many signature Dream Theater musical traits, and contains a handful of really strong stand alone singles, it is, and must be approached as, a fully fledged piece of musical theater that demands the listener's time, effort and close attention. I always appreciate the record more with this in mind.

“People just don’t have the time for music any more” was the ultimate statement here about how music is consumed in a modern age and with an album as involved and epic as The Astonishing, I feel it proved its own case in point.

I’ve always wondered if The Astonishing may have polarized the hardcore fanbase less had this been approached as a more collaborative project a la Ayreon or even if the focus had been steered more toward an elaborate stage production with a variety of actors, singers, props and pyro? Having said this, James LaBrie gets a special mention from me for his truly admirable performance and portrayal of various characters.

And as for the legacy this album will leave, I guess time will really tell. I still return to this album and discover new things to take away from the experience, and while at the point of release we all may have been expecting another Scenes from a Memory, time has allowed us to reflect upon and appreciate the versatility this band has at communicating concept albums in unique ways.

https://loudwire.com/best-13th-albums-rock-metal-bands/

Well, I can say that even though I’m not huge fan of this record, I agree with everything Ross said in that article.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1523 on: October 14, 2023, 06:02:03 AM »
I will say this:  the notion that "people don't have time" or "people don't appreciate" is sort of a copout.  I think the people here, for example, put in the work, and yet even here, it's a polarizing piece. 

I've "put in the work" on records like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Tales From Topographic Oceans, and just this morning I was thinking that my three most favorite records over the last couple years are Innocence And Danger, Senjutsu, and Weltschmerz, all dense, deep double records.  Not fantastical concepts, I grant you, but still heavy pieces of work. And yet... I'm still looking for the key to unlocking The Astonishing for myself.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1524 on: October 14, 2023, 08:56:41 AM »
I will say this:  the notion that "people don't have time" or "people don't appreciate" is sort of a copout.  I think the people here, for example, put in the work, and yet even here, it's a polarizing piece. 

I've "put in the work" on records like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Tales From Topographic Oceans, and just this morning I was thinking that my three most favorite records over the last couple years are Innocence And Danger, Senjutsu, and Weltschmerz, all dense, deep double records.  Not fantastical concepts, I grant you, but still heavy pieces of work. And yet... I'm still looking for the key to unlocking The Astonishing for myself.

There’s nothing to unlock. It’s as “on the nose” as you can get.  People either like it or don’t. The thing for me is that I have respect for what they attempted. And when I listen to it, I think “this isn’t that bad”. But I never want to listen to it. And there really aren’t any single songs where I think “this is just awesome”.  And I know people will say “it’s meant to be taken as one whole piece”. I realize that, but if I have to listen to a whole 2.5 hours of music to get anything from it, then I’m out. I like songs. SFAM has great songs. Mindcrime has great songs. Snow has great songs. Also, I have a job, a wife, and four kids. I totally understand when people say they don’t have time for it :lol
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 12:05:37 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1525 on: October 14, 2023, 11:36:34 AM »
There are many great songs on TA in my opinion. Gift of Music, A Life Left Behind, Ravenskill, Chosen, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, The Path that Divides, Our New World, are all excellent tracks that stand alone.
I still find the whole experience very enjoyable and might listen to it later today.  :coolio

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1526 on: October 14, 2023, 12:08:37 PM »
There are many great songs on TA in my opinion. Gift of Music, A Life Left Behind, Ravenskill, Chosen, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, The Path that Divides, Our New World, are all excellent tracks that stand alone.
I still find the whole experience very enjoyable and might listen to it later today.  :coolio

I agree with you that those are the best tracks on the album.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1527 on: October 15, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »
Great take on the album by Ross. I agree about everything.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1528 on: October 16, 2023, 06:45:55 AM »

Well, he didn't say that was the reason for all people who don't like it.  But I have no doubt that it's at least a part of the reason for a significant portion of people who don't like it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1529 on: October 16, 2023, 07:21:07 AM »

There’s nothing to unlock. It’s as “on the nose” as you can get.  People either like it or don’t. The thing for me is that I have respect for what they attempted. And when I listen to it, I think “this isn’t that bad”. But I never want to listen to it. And there really aren’t any single songs where I think “this is just awesome”.  And I know people will say “it’s meant to be taken as one whole piece”. I realize that, but if I have to listen to a whole 2.5 hours of music to get anything from it, then I’m out. I like songs. SFAM has great songs. Mindcrime has great songs. Snow has great songs. Also, I have a job, a wife, and four kids. I totally understand when people say they don’t have time for it :lol

Yeah, I didn't mean the literal story, I meant what you said after about finding the songs that resonate.   I THINK I know parts of the story to TLLDOB, but it really didn't "unlock" for me until I could identify with certain songs - In The Cage, Lilywhite Lilith, all the little solo spots for Tony that later came up on the 3SL medley - that I could enjoy on their own independent of the story. 

I saw an interview with Dominic Miller and Rick Beato, and Rick asked him: what's better: crap lyrics and a good melody, or great lyrics and no melody, and Dominic took the latter.  Working for Sting, I guess I get it, but I'm the former, with only a few exceptions either way.  I can't, right now, sing you one melody line from The Astonishing.  Not saying they aren't there, just saying I haven't connected with them yet.

I'm not at all bagging on the work; it's an epic creation, no doubt.  But music is personal, and it either resonates or it doesn't, and I don't (usually) force it.  I don't need people drawing conclusions about my attention span or anything else simply because there is no visceral - that is to say, no UNCONSCIOUS - connection with a particular work.  Some things have no answer.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: October 16, 2023, 09:14:12 AM »
I haven't watched that Dominic Miller interview but it's on the list, funny he mentions the bit about lyrics. I personally disagree and think melody can carry bad lyrics a lot more than the other way round.

With TA there just wasn't anything there that had me wanting to revisit the album. One common theme with albums that have grown on me over the years is that each one had at least a moment of something I enjoyed or found interesting, something to keep me coming back.

TA didn't have that, that album got a lot more spins simply because it was a DT release, if it was any other band I would've listened to it and moved on.

I admire and respect the work they put into the record but it simply isn't for me.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1531 on: October 16, 2023, 01:27:49 PM »

Totally agree with all of this. I´ve given it quite a few chances but I just doesn´t work for me. A few good songs but nothing really stands out compared to peak DT.

Also agree with Ross on the multiple vocalists. Labrie absolutely delivers on TA but the whole album could have been way more dynamic and credible by using female vocals as well. The Our New World version with Lzzy Hale works much better for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1532 on: October 16, 2023, 01:58:17 PM »
If DT ever get to perform TA live again (which I highly doubt), Ross should be one of the guest vocalists invited.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1533 on: October 17, 2023, 05:50:45 AM »
I agree with Jennings that The Astonishing would have been better received if they invited a bunch of guest performers and marketed it as a kind a side project as opposed to a full-fledged Dream Theater album. However, I'd imagine that would have been less financially viable, so I understand why they didn't do it. Still would have been pretty cool though!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: October 17, 2023, 07:04:12 AM »
If DT ever get to perform TA live again (which I highly doubt), Ross should be one of the guest vocalists invited.

Why make a bad album worse?

I kid I kid!

Offline jeff_kinsley

« Reply #1535 on: October 17, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »
Yeah, the way to enjoy (yes, enjoy) this album is through the whole thing, like some people said. Trying to pick songs from it is not the way.
I sat down last week with my vinyl box and was following the script, looking at the map and cards, while listening to the whole thing.
In the end, I think it is a very enjoyable experience.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1536 on: October 28, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
one of the funniest things about the Astonishing is knowing DT named it that so that the acronym would be TA, which would confuse people with the MP-adjacent project, Transatlantic. what a great way to grab some press when others use the acronym for the "other" band, :lol

edit: as far as the album itself, one of my least favorite, but some of the tracks are amazing. The Hovering Sojourn especially :D
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2023, 12:08:37 PM »
one of the funniest things about the Astonishing is knowing DT named it that so that the acronym would be TA, which would confuse people with the MP-adjacent project, Transatlantic.

How do we know that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »
one of the funniest things about the Astonishing is knowing DT named it that so that the acronym would be TA, which would confuse people with the MP-adjacent project, Transatlantic.

How do we know that?

I asked JP once after a gig in Denver
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1539 on: October 28, 2023, 12:12:59 PM »

How do we know that?

I asked JP once after a gig in Denver

Was he actually being serious?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol