Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 175195 times)

Online hunnus2000

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, FIVE YEARS On.
« Reply #1435 on: November 12, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
Listened to a lot of it last night for the first time in ages, and still love it. MM is sneaky fantastic on this.

Yeah - I've posted before about how how MM subtly shines on this album He balances his parts with the story telling  and this is the album that got his drum tones right.  :metal

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #1436 on: November 12, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
I've listened to it one time and that was back when it came out. Five years already? Wow! We saw the tour so I guess I heard it then also. It just didnt grab me. Just like this new release. Some of it is alright, but DT just doesn't seem to (at least to me) rock like they use to. I rarely find myself reaching for a DT cd to listen to anymore. Still 4 of the best musicians on the planet though and that will bring me to a show near me for sure.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1437 on: November 16, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »
Peter Orullian just posted his newest Breaking Absolutes episode and it's a good one...

When Dream Theater wrote their epic double CD concept album, I got the chance to embellish its story and write a full novel to do so. Here I've gone into an epic deep dive of: how I got the job working with John Petrucci and writing the novel; a discussion of the art and design and map and other conceptual visuals; the relating of certain scenes only in the book, which give helpful context for the record experience; and a full album track-by-track listen in which I share insights to the music and story, as well as helpful context to layer on added meaning to the album. This is a long show, meant for hardcore DT fans, musicians who may want to see a blueprint for how to put together an expansive and immersive concept album, or those just interested in how I approached the task of breathing life into a world at such scale.
Dream Theater's The Astonishing - Full breakdown, including novelization, Breaking Absolutes Ep. 45

It's 7 hours and 15 min. long  :omg:

Listening now and it's interesting and I am loving the discussion.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1438 on: November 16, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Peter Orullian just posted his newest Breaking Absolutes episode and it's a good one...

When Dream Theater wrote their epic double CD concept album, I got the chance to embellish its story and write a full novel to do so. Here I've gone into an epic deep dive of: how I got the job working with John Petrucci and writing the novel; a discussion of the art and design and map and other conceptual visuals; the relating of certain scenes only in the book, which give helpful context for the record experience; and a full album track-by-track listen in which I share insights to the music and story, as well as helpful context to layer on added meaning to the album. This is a long show, meant for hardcore DT fans, musicians who may want to see a blueprint for how to put together an expansive and immersive concept album, or those just interested in how I approached the task of breathing life into a world at such scale.
Dream Theater's The Astonishing - Full breakdown, including novelization, Breaking Absolutes Ep. 45

Good. Update us on the bulletpoints.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1439 on: November 16, 2021, 08:23:27 PM »

Me too. Peter is the most interesting guy to listen to. It's good to hear the way things were thought out and talked about.
I think I might do an hour each day. 7 hours, that would be rough!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1440 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:15 PM »

Me too. Peter is the most interesting guy to listen to. It's good to hear the way things were thought out and talked about.
I think I might do an hour each day. 7 hours, that would be rough!

I'm an hour in and he is discussing the map and how he integrated certain areas into the story.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #1441 on: November 18, 2021, 01:17:59 AM »
Just listening to some parts of The Astonishing at the moment and one thing I will say is that; it is like if elements of SDOIT were combined with Ayreon, except with one singer.
Even though fans initially expected something like SFAM, the album is nothing much like it, although it has a few moments reminiscent of SFAM (such as the part in "The Walking Shadow" which sounds like Fatal Tragedy).

edit;

The Walking Shadow is an awesome track, the ending bit (before the stabbing) sounds like they'd been listening to Mr Bungle.

edit;

The ending portion of the album feels like a completely over-extended finale, but not of the good kind (such as Finally Free).
Hymn of a Thousand Voices is a great closer, even Power Down would go well after it as a fade out.
But instead they try to end the whole thing with two freaking ballads (Our New World and Astonishing), after the finale of Hymn of a Thousand Voices. It is such a bloated ending.

edit;

As I've always heard it with that melody in the titletrack:

"Brother, can you hear me? Many bow and cry Known across the desert I am the one who will not die"  :lol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:37:25 AM by AVFTTOTW »
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1442 on: November 18, 2021, 06:14:36 AM »
I think it's great that he is doing that, but I'm not listening to a 7 hour presentation by anyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1443 on: November 18, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
I think it's great that he is doing that, but I'm not listening to a 7 hour presentation by anyone.

My first thought when I saw this was "did he ever pause the recording to go pee or something?" :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1444 on: November 18, 2021, 01:49:00 PM »
7 hours is rough.  But it's good commute listening.  Listened to about 45 minutes on the way in to work, and it is some really good stuff.  Main takeaway:  Peter and JP had TONS of discussion and bouncing ideas back and forth.  It is incredible what went into this.  Makes me love the album that much more.  ...although, that being said, I think it would have been even better if Peter were involved earlier when JP was initially writing the lyrics and music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: November 18, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
7 hours is rough.  But it's good commute listening.  Listened to about 45 minutes on the way in to work, and it is some really good stuff.  Main takeaway:  Peter and JP had TONS of discussion and bouncing ideas back and forth.  It is incredible what went into this.  Makes me love the album that much more.  ...although, that being said, I think it would have been even better if Peter were involved earlier when JP was initially writing the lyrics and music.

but it has piano and not enough metal so SUX

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1446 on: November 18, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »

but it has piano and not enough metal so SUX

Ironically enough, you say this more than anyone.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online NoFred

« Reply #1447 on: November 18, 2021, 05:22:30 PM »
Not sure when I’ll listen, but a 7 hour work from the book author is pure gold, what a cool thing to have.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1448 on: November 18, 2021, 08:12:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/wmm6Rz9uKkM?t=4598

I time-stamped it to where he starts to go through the entire album and give his thoughts. They're very great thoughts and ones I also share at some parts. If anything, this is the part that should be of interest to some people.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1449 on: November 22, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »
relistening to this one again today - what fantastic songwriting on this album.  It's a shame it got the reception it did, I would absolutely love to be able to throw in a blue-ray of this show.  One of the best DT performances I have seen.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1450 on: November 22, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
relistening to this one again today - what fantastic songwriting on this album.  It's a shame it got the reception it did, I would absolutely love to be able to throw in a blue-ray of this show.  One of the best DT performances I have seen.

This.  The hook was set in early 2016, but seeing this show reeled me in! :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1451 on: November 22, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »
Yep, definitely one of my favorite DT experiences.   The live show was above and beyond awesome! 💯 :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1452 on: December 18, 2021, 07:39:13 PM »

Thanks.  Going to check this out. Very interested in this period.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1453 on: September 20, 2022, 11:40:39 PM »
Put in The Astonishing for the first time in about a year this weekend while sitting around waiting for the Porcupine Tree show to start.  This album is pure musical genius.  Gets better with age.

My post early in this thread stated I'd rate it my 4th favorite DT album.  I have to move it up to 3 at this point.  I usually don't care whether people like the same music as I do, but for whatever reason, I take the negative reception this album faced personally.  It's not that far removed from Metropolis 2 stylistically--an album that gets an almost universally positive reaction from DT fans.  If anything, the songwriting on this is more concise and melodic, and there's less meandering through aimless hyper-progressive jams, which have their place in DT's repertoire, of course, but I think they have a tendency to overdo them and have them in far too many songs just for the sake of having them, even if it doesn't fit from a songwriting perspective.  This is a stunning and dynamic epic, with multiple layers, traversing multiple styles, but the melodic hooks are simple and easy to digest.  Some specific highlights:

• I think Petrucci's outro solo in A New Beginning is possibly the best of his entire career.  Helps that the underlying chord progression lays a fantastic foundation.
  • The much-maligned second act actually finishes very strong.  Losing Fayth through A New World is an incredibly epic and stunning finale, and Hymn of a Thousand Voices is one of the most beautiful snippets of music this band has ever written!
  • I think this is Mangini's best album with the band, too.  His style of drumming matches this style of music really well.  There's a couple of fills in here that are absolutely astounding.
  • David Campbell's orchestration is something to behold.  It really gives this album sonic depth, even compared to other DT albums/songs that used orchestra.

This is DT at their creative peak, and 100 years from now, will be looked upon as their crowning achievement.  Perhaps an album before its time.  Or maybe after it's time.  Since I really think the peak of rock music composition and listenership occurred during the 70s, when people's attention spans were not chewed up by a constant din of technological stimuli like social media and cell phones.  Perhaps this album belongs in the era of The Who's Tommy, Yes's Tales of Topographic Oceans, Rush's 2112, or Genesis's Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  I think it surpasses all four of those albums though, and stands on its own as one of the best concept albums ever written.  This isn't an album that delivers instantly on first listen.  Like a lot of good prog rock, it has to be digested with patience and discretion.  And once it is, its melodic story really comes to life.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1454 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:06 AM »
TA is still as inaccessible as ever.  Their creative peak was 20 years ago with SDOIT.  That will never matched.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1455 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
Still my favorite DT album.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1456 on: September 21, 2022, 12:01:09 PM »
Put in The Astonishing for the first time in about a year this weekend while sitting around waiting for the Porcupine Tree show to start.  This album is pure musical genius.  Gets better with age.

My post early in this thread stated I'd rate it my 4th favorite DT album.  I have to move it up to 3 at this point.  I usually don't care whether people like the same music as I do, but for whatever reason, I take the negative reception this album faced personally.  It's not that far removed from Metropolis 2 stylistically--an album that gets an almost universally positive reaction from DT fans.  If anything, the songwriting on this is more concise and melodic, and there's less meandering through aimless hyper-progressive jams, which have their place in DT's repertoire, of course, but I think they have a tendency to overdo them and have them in far too many songs just for the sake of having them, even if it doesn't fit from a songwriting perspective.  This is a stunning and dynamic epic, with multiple layers, traversing multiple styles, but the melodic hooks are simple and easy to digest.  Some specific highlights:

• I think Petrucci's outro solo in A New Beginning is possibly the best of his entire career.  Helps that the underlying chord progression lays a fantastic foundation.
  • The much-maligned second act actually finishes very strong.  Losing Fayth through A New World is an incredibly epic and stunning finale, and Hymn of a Thousand Voices is one of the most beautiful snippets of music this band has ever written!
  • I think this is Mangini's best album with the band, too.  His style of drumming matches this style of music really well.  There's a couple of fills in here that are absolutely astounding.
  • David Campbell's orchestration is something to behold.  It really gives this album sonic depth, even compared to other DT albums/songs that used orchestra.

This is DT at their creative peak, and 100 years from now, will be looked upon as their crowning achievement.  Perhaps an album before its time.  Or maybe after it's time.  Since I really think the peak of rock music composition and listenership occurred during the 70s, when people's attention spans were not chewed up by a constant din of technological stimuli like social media and cell phones.  Perhaps this album belongs in the era of The Who's Tommy, Yes's Tales of Topographic Oceans, Rush's 2112, or Genesis's Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  I think it surpasses all four of those albums though, and stands on its own as one of the best concept albums ever written.  This isn't an album that delivers instantly on first listen.  Like a lot of good prog rock, it has to be digested with patience and discretion.  And once it is, its melodic story really comes to life.

Why?

Or, perhaps a better question is, does someone else's opinion change how you feel? If not, why get upset if others disagree with you (for the record, I have the opposite take on this album, but I enjoyed reading your post and it reminded me that I'd been meaning to revisit this album).

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1457 on: September 21, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »
I love this album and just listened as part of my album ranking. (#5)  I love it more each time. It has So Much great music! More than just soft and beautiful, JP has a ton of great guitar in it.  And if anyone loves James (not sure) listening for just the purpose of hearing him sing is worth it. Managing all the characters - many in a single song a times - is done really well. I can tell who is who in a conversation of characters.

I love how there are different themes to go with different characters and how you hear them woven in and out of the music.  And it really is climactic on the 2nd disc. If one really is following the story, when you get to Losing Faythe, it's heartbreaking. Then Hymn of a Thousand Voices caps off the idea that music is healing and we all play a part!

The whole idea of the album, that listening to too much noise and not enough goodness can corrupt. It's relevant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1458 on: September 21, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
Hymn of a Thousand Voices is one of the most beautiful snippets of music this band has ever written!

My Astonishing Abridged ends with Hymn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1459 on: September 21, 2022, 09:22:15 PM »
TA is still as inaccessible as ever. 

I completely disagree. The Astonishing is ABSOLUTELY "accessible"! It is definitely UNLISTENABLE but completely accessible! ;)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1460 on: September 22, 2022, 03:58:56 PM »
Great post jsbru.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1461 on: September 22, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »

Absolutely no chance of this happening. Also, a ton of work went into TA but the idea isn't novel or newish at all. There isn't anything that breaks the mold on TA and this is kind of a pre-requite in order to be considered before its time.

It's a very ambitious piece of work no doubt. For me it was a horrific listening experience. I don't think most fans agree with me, but I think a lot of people did NOT like it because of the styles it emulated.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: September 23, 2022, 03:11:05 AM »

It's a very ambitious piece of work no doubt. For me it was a horrific listening experience. I don't think most fans agree with me, but I think a lot of people did NOT like it because of the styles it emulated.

Perhaps outside of this forum, my feeling is the majority of fans would actually agree with you.

I listened to it in full again a couple of days ago. Musically, it's soporific, and the story, being as hackneyed as it is, brings nothing. Story aside (which I accept is an absurd thing to say in the context), if it had been presented as an Ayreon-type piece of work with guest vocalists, it may have been redeemable. And that's not to say James is the issue because he really isn't.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1463 on: September 23, 2022, 06:29:56 AM »

Why?

Or, perhaps a better question is, does someone else's opinion change how you feel? If not, why get upset if others disagree with you (for the record, I have the opposite take on this album, but I enjoyed reading your post and it reminded me that I'd been meaning to revisit this album).

That's the part I don't get either.  What does someone else's opinion have to do with what you like?   We need a lot less of that in our world, to be honest. 

I have mixed emotions about The Astonishing.  It's not as if DT forgot how to write or play. It's a stellar accomplishment, on a technical level.  I don't care - at all - about the "styles"; they are a PROGRESSIVE rock band and I expect them to delve and dabble.  I tolerated it when they did the blast beat and growl stuff which I don't care for, so I can tolerate a little Disney now and again.  For me, it was simply the denseness of it; I could not get into the story and still to this day haven't.  That's ok; there are plenty of records from bands I like that I just haven't connected with. 

I think this is one of those records that really drives the point home that "just because I like it/don't like it" doesn't mean "it sucks/it is great".

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1464 on: September 23, 2022, 12:12:52 PM »
TA is still as inaccessible as ever. 

I completely disagree. The Astonishing is ABSOLUTELY "accessible"! It is definitely UNLISTENABLE but completely accessible! ;)

Well, those two things kind of intersect for me.  There are a few "listenable" tracks (about 9 the last time I checked), but the album has too many tracks and as a whole, is just too long.  That's what I meant by "inaccessible".
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline emtee

« Reply #1465 on: September 23, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
If I have to boil it down to three things that don't enable me to connect with it:

JLB's vocal approach. Maybe necessary for the overall scheme given all the characters but I just don't like it.
Almost every song has a 'grand finale' feel to it. Like they should all be the final song.
The story.

Huge respect though for the effort and time put into it. This is why I go back every six months and try again.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1466 on: September 23, 2022, 03:23:38 PM »

Why?

That's the part I don't get either.  What does someone else's opinion have to do with what you like?   We need a lot less of that in our world, to be honest. 

I have mixed emotions about The Astonishing.  It's not as if DT forgot how to write or play. It's a stellar accomplishment, on a technical level.  I don't care - at all - about the "styles"; they are a PROGRESSIVE rock band and I expect them to delve and dabble.  I tolerated it when they did the blast beat and growl stuff which I don't care for, so I can tolerate a little Disney now and again.  For me, it was simply the denseness of it; I could not get into the story and still to this day haven't.  That's ok; there are plenty of records from bands I like that I just haven't connected with. 

I think this is one of those records that really drives the point home that "just because I like it/don't like it" doesn't mean "it sucks/it is great".

It is pretty dense. That is one thing I like about it though, and why I view it as a musical movie. I view Ayreon albums the same exact way. When I listen to Transitus, I imagine I am sitting in front of an old time radio (before the invention of television) listening to the horror story of the night.

The Astonishing is interesting the more I think about it. I personally think it would work better branded as a solo venture, or a side project to release it under, rather than under the Dream Theater brand. I think it works best live, and the way the band did it was amazing for the budget they had to put into the production. I am also sure JP has bigger dreams for how he wanted to present it live. This is one reason I would love to see it as an actual broadway or Opera style production. This story calls for that sort of production, it needs the characters on stage to sing and play their emotions through the music.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1467 on: September 26, 2022, 08:25:24 AM »

Absolutely no chance of this happening. Also, a ton of work went into TA but the idea isn't novel or newish at all. There isn't anything that breaks the mold on TA and this is kind of a pre-requite in order to be considered before its time.

Just true.  I don't think we will hear any songs of that album again live.  From time to time I go back to it and listen and try to dig it.  It does not work for me.  A shorter album might have been more consistent on the quality of the music thus more interesting.  That's the only album from them I don't like. 
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1468 on: September 28, 2022, 11:05:05 AM »

We will definitely hear songs from The Astonishing live in the future. There's no way DT is going to pretend that album doesn't exist.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: September 28, 2022, 11:13:17 AM »
We will definitely hear songs from The Astonishing live in the future. There's no way DT is going to pretend that album doesn't exist.

I find it hard to believe the album will be ignored, but they dropped those couple songs early the next tour and NOTHING has come back.  To me, that is Astonishing from DT. 

Also, to me, it's sad.  The album is pretty good for my ears, but being so long and with most of the tracks not being stand outs on their own (usually best to listen to groupings of songs) it's very easy to see why people don't like it.  Even with me liking it, I don't think I've listened for years now.  There's just no reason to go back if you aren't going to listen to the whole thing and that's just very time consuming. 

I'm still just annoyed they didn't let fans take video of this tour.  There's just very limited options to seeing these songs live on youtube now.  The band really needed to either let go of stopping fans or released their own live recording.  It's a shame IMO.