Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 176161 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, FIVE YEARS On.
« Reply #1330 on: October 21, 2021, 04:36:10 AM »
I imagine what an amazing background music this album would be while working if there is an instrumental version.  :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1331 on: October 21, 2021, 05:41:53 PM »
Before I say how I felt, I should say now that I might have experienced this album differently if it were packaged as a JP/JR side project and presented on a stage with actors and costumes. I would be open to seeing that one day if they ever decided to do it, though I'd want to hear proper Broadway or musical theater vocalists and have JLB do a specific role.

As a DT fan, I was absolutely horrified by this record when it came out. The last piece of new music I'd heard from the band-- GOM single aside-- was Illumination Theory, which for me is a top 10 DT song only subordinate to I&W, ACOS and a couple other tunes maybe. I played TA once through and it was like torture. I also wondered if JM or MM were even on the record, let alone present in the song-writing sessions. I respect the amount of work that went into TA, and I love Disney. I am a grown man with a subscription to Disney+ so I can watch the favorites from my childhood (my kid is too young to watch TV). But Dream Theater is not good at this. I have been hoping the band would push themselves further but I did not want to hear them enter the musical theater genre, which is just a totally different thing. Years later I can say that it is still the only DT record I cannot stand. I thought FII, Octavarium and SC were mediocre, but I could tolerate them because I am a diehard JP fan. I could always find a couple tunes that would give me energy or a few guitar riffs and solos I could work on. I find it hard to tolerate TA at all. Long story short, the album aged exactly as it arrived: unlistenable-- GOM aside. I think this is at the bottom of a legendary discography unfortunately.

It's not about having enough time for music. I've been through Wagner more than once. I've played the crap out of every DT album. It's about Dream Theater and what they're good at. The only other thing I hope for is that the band did not interpret the mixed reaction as evidence that they shouldn't experiment. That is NOT what I am saying. We just didn't want DT to do Disney influenced musical theater. There are an infinite number of ways the band can evolve their sound without stepping into this other genre. Maybe one day bring it back in a different format, but with so much other music to listen to, I just cannot. DoT and, I hope, AVFTTOTW style Dream Theater all the way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: October 21, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
Meh my bike needs work on it so i've been doing the 60 minute bus ride to work and listened to an hours worth of The Astonishing. Still love it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1333 on: October 21, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
Before I say how I felt, I should say now that I might have experienced this album differently if it were packaged as a JP/JR side project and presented on a stage with actors and costumes. I would be open to seeing that one day if they ever decided to do it, though I'd want to hear proper Broadway or musical theater vocalists and have JLB do a specific role.

As a DT fan, I was absolutely horrified by this record when it came out. The last piece of new music I'd heard from the band-- GOM single aside-- was Illumination Theory, which for me is a top 10 DT song only subordinate to I&W, ACOS and a couple other tunes maybe. I played TA once through and it was like torture. I also wondered if JM or MM were even on the record, let alone present in the song-writing sessions. I respect the amount of work that went into TA, and I love Disney. I am a grown man with a subscription to Disney+ so I can watch the favorites from my childhood (my kid is too young to watch TV). But Dream Theater is not good at this. I have been hoping the band would push themselves further but I did not want to hear them enter the musical theater genre, which is just a totally different thing. Years later I can say that it is still the only DT record I cannot stand. I thought FII, Octavarium and SC were mediocre, but I could tolerate them because I am a diehard JP fan. I could always find a couple tunes that would give me energy or a few guitar riffs and solos I could work on. I find it hard to tolerate TA at all. Long story short, the album aged exactly as it arrived: unlistenable-- GOM aside. I think this is at the bottom of a legendary discography unfortunately.

It's not about having enough time for music. I've been through Wagner more than once. I've played the crap out of every DT album. It's about Dream Theater and what they're good at. The only other thing I hope for is that the band did not interpret the mixed reaction as evidence that they shouldn't experiment. That is NOT what I am saying. We just didn't want DT to do Disney influenced musical theater. There are an infinite number of ways the band can evolve their sound without stepping into this other genre. Maybe one day bring it back in a different format, but with so much other music to listen to, I just cannot. DoT and, I hope, AVFTTOTW style Dream Theater all the way.

Understandable response, and great for posting it. I also really think it would've sold better packaged as JP presents, but don't see the reason why, and it's like how JLB as a name sells better than Mullmuzzler. I also really do want it to be a Broadway style show, even if it's like Ayreons Theater Equation with a cast of singers. JLB could do Arhys or The Narrator.

What Dream Theater is good at is entirely up to the listener. And 'we'? Not I. I actually do not mind that DT wanted to do Disney influenced musical theater.

I find it interesting that when a band or whatever decides to actually branch out, and chooses to go down one stream, people get disappointed when they don't flow down their stream of choice. I find that funny in a way.

The Disney influence is because the range of the audience extends to include the younger music listeners, mainly the recluse females that are quiet and listen to music in school, which is the behavior and attitude of the Faythe character. In a way, relating to JP's own daughters.

Faythe also, did not only fall in love with Gabriel's sexy voice.  :hat...Faythe fell in love with the fact that the music she found in the castle halls is being played live in front of her eyes to which she finally feels the power of music in a live setting. She also sees this in the people of Ravenskill, in how they gather in the square to when he plays and sings. Faythe fell in love with Live music, the same way us fans enjoy seeing the band live. The love (not the physical love for Gabriel) is what I feel is represented by Faythes theme.

Musically, The entire band did an excellent job on the record. Mangini and JM are there and make excellent contributions in terms of note choices and grooves. An example are the drums and the bass in the dialogue of Faythe and Arabelle in 'A Life Left Behind'. Lyrically, it could've been better worded, but JP is not a lyrical genius either and I did not expect a West Side Story, or Phantom of The Opera in terms of lyrics and dialogue.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1334 on: October 21, 2021, 07:26:57 PM »
We talking about The Astonishing, or Disc 2 of Six Degrees?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #1335 on: October 21, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »
The Astonishing is one of my favorite albums. When I first heard it years ago, I enjoyed it but it didn't really stand out. Revisiting it this past year I fell in love with it. Have listened to it front to back more than Dream Theater and Distance Over Time. I can see why it wouldn't be someone's cup of tea though.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1336 on: October 27, 2021, 10:52:00 AM »
:umno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Art

« Reply #1337 on: October 27, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »
5 years on, I havent listened to TA in a really long time, to me it's easily their worst record.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #1338 on: October 27, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »
I appreciate how different the album is. For anyone asking DT to reinvent themselves this the album: bagpipes, tango like songs, the jazzy ending of Three days, short songs, melodies over wankery. It's one I don't revisit as often but when I do I like listening to the whole thing. It's the album where James steals the show for me, as the story demands a strong vocal performance.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year On.
« Reply #1339 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
I thought it was good when it came out, and today it sits at the very top as my favorite DT album. I still listen to it in full at least once per week. I have it on now as a matter of fact. Absolutely fantastic album, and if DT doesn't find a way to get a live version of it in my living room, I will never forgive them.

This is still pretty much my opinion today. While I have forgiven DT for not getting a live version of this into my living room, I'm still salty AF about it  :lol I don't listen to the album quite as often as I used to, but that's only because I listen to NPR and podcasts these days. Music listening in general has been on the decline for me.   

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1340 on: October 27, 2021, 09:51:06 PM »
I thought it was good when it came out, and today it sits at the very top as my favorite DT album. I still listen to it in full at least once per week. I have it on now as a matter of fact. Absolutely fantastic album, and if DT doesn't find a way to get a live version of it in my living room, I will never forgive them.

This is still pretty much my opinion today. While I have forgiven DT for not getting a live version of this into my living room, I'm still salty AF about it  :lol I don't listen to the album quite as often as I used to, but that's only because I listen to NPR and podcasts these days. Music listening in general has been on the decline for me.

:lol I'm quite positive there will be a live version released on the LNF Archives sometime next year :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: October 28, 2021, 04:29:24 AM »
I dont need to hear the album again but in worse quality.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1342 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »

:lol I'm quite positive there will be a live version released on the LNF Archives sometime next year :tup

Is that an informed opinion?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1343 on: October 28, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think JP mentioned in an interview that they have the live audio for TA, just no footages.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1344 on: October 28, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think JP mentioned in an interview that they have the live audio for TA, just no footages.

Yep. I have no inside info at all :lol but JP did say that, and now that they're doing the LNFA thing I just think it's very very likely they'll end up releasing it soon-ish.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1345 on: October 28, 2021, 09:17:56 AM »

Yep. I have no inside info at all :lol but JP did say that, and now that they're doing the LNFA thing I just think it's very very likely they'll end up releasing it soon-ish.

What's this LNF thing you speak of? 

To the no footage point... That's a damn shame if they actually have solid audio recorded. Even if it was just a single camera mounted on a tripod behind the sound booth, I would have been elated to see/purchase it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1346 on: October 28, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1347 on: October 28, 2021, 10:10:56 AM »

To the no footage point... That's a damn shame if they actually have solid audio recorded. Even if it was just a single camera mounted on a tripod behind the sound booth, I would have been elated to see/purchase it.

I actually would not mind seeing the live release be just that, one straight up view of the entire stage. That way we get to see the intricate screens.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1348 on: October 28, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »

I actually would not mind seeing the live release be just that, one straight up view of the entire stage. That way we get to see the intricate screens.

Don't they have the video files that were on the screens for the show? Couldn't they make a blu-ray with the videos and the audio be the live recording?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1349 on: October 28, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
I would love having a recording of the camera at the soundboard even more than just the graphics. I want to see the band performing  the songs, and the light show. 

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1350 on: October 28, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
I've watched this video a few times. Seems like a compilation but it's real consistent.

https://youtu.be/IT92NO3pTnA

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1351 on: October 28, 2021, 11:40:54 AM »
I've watched this video a few times. Seems like a compilation but it's real consistent.

I've seen that as well.

The way the intro starts with a black screen then the NOMACS getting as the BIG NOMAC pops up and then the lights react to it. And that shockwave it sends out and how loud that low end was in person was awesome. That is exactly how those NOMACS are able to make Evangeline give birth to Xander.

Yeah, thats why I wouldn't mind a soundboard camera style of the videos. I actually would not mind if they took this compilation or gathered some of the Youtube videos, and added in the soundboard recordings to them. That way I can enjoy The X Aspect without that annoying guy talking throughout that song.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:07:01 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1352 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
I missed this tour, and was very upset about it. I generally loved The Astonishing. But this has been my go to video.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1353 on: October 28, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »
I missed this tour, and was very upset about it. I generally loved The Astonishing. But this has been my go to video.

I actually kept on watching it.... :lol

What this show made me learn is to not rely on a future dvd for a show I really want to see. Which is why I went to see two shows on this tour.

I knew this may be the only chance to see this awesome album live and I am glad I did.

Including the cool NOMAC in the lobby that gave you a name in The Great Northern Empire of The Americas as either a Ravenskill or TGNE was cool as well. Made the audience feel a part of the story as one of the townsfolk.  :biggrin:

I just now thought of a really big missed opportunity. If they had these video screen files on hand, It would have been neat to have them do a live-stream or one of those videos, with them playing in front of a green screen with these visuals playing. Now that would've been awesome, I would've gladly paid for that.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1354 on: October 28, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »

Oh thank you for that, did not know this video existed. I saved to it watch it later  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1355 on: October 28, 2021, 11:58:40 AM »
No problem, V! This gives you a great view of the stage and screens, along with all of the other effects.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #1356 on: October 28, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
I'll check this out. I wasn't a fan during the original tour. I think the album is fine. Might be cooler in a live video.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1357 on: October 28, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »

Super cool!  I'd definitely buy this if it surfaced on a LNF release..    :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1358 on: October 28, 2021, 01:15:45 PM »

I posted this before but will do it again but they could take fan videos like this and make s super cool DVD like Led Zep did on "How the West was Won".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: October 28, 2021, 01:34:09 PM »

I posted this before but will do it again but they could take fan videos like this and make s super cool DVD like Led Zep did on "How the West was Won".

They'd have way more footage to use if cameras weren't banned :(

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1360 on: October 28, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
The concert was SO MUCH BETTER than the album IMO. Just a better visual experience than a listening disaster.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1361 on: October 28, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »
I listening disaster?  Well it's the best disaster I've ever heard then!   :coolio

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1362 on: October 28, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
It wasn't a listening disaster for me. I imagined a beautiful world, and seeing the live visuals was like seeing a movie after reading a book.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #1363 on: October 30, 2021, 11:01:49 PM »
What ruined it for me was the story. So bad. terribly cliche character names. terrible lyrics. Laughable animations, if you can call them that. When people say you need to treat it as more than album, I do just that and it just makes it awful. There is TON of killer music on this album though. If they could turn it into a 20-30 minute epic, that would be more palatable.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1364 on: October 31, 2021, 07:40:04 PM »
Listening to my 16 track 73 minute Astonishing Abridged tonight and I must say that James is so amazing on this.

The X Aspect  :hefdaddy