Poll

Which Post 2000 era Maiden album do you like best?

Brave New World
31 (31.6%)
Dance of Death
9 (9.2%)
A Matter of Life and Death
30 (30.6%)
The Final Frontier
11 (11.2%)
Book Of Souls
17 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Best post 2000 Iron Maiden  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Lupton

Re: Best post 2000 Iron Maiden
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Let’s see, post 2000 Maiden takes on average about 8 minutes to accomplish what they used to do in 4 minutes.  After becoming familiar with the tunes, I find myself skipping alot on those albums. These are the usually the songs I listen to, that is to say I don’t skip:

Brave New World
The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, The Fallen Angel, Out of the Silent Planet

Dance of Death
Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Montségur, Dance of Death, New Frontier, Paschendale, Age of Innocence

The Pilgrim, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, For the Greater Good of God, Lord of Light

The Final Frontier
El Dorado, The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon, The Talisman, The Man Who Would Be King

Book of Souls
If Eternity Should Fail, Speed Of Light, The Red And The Black, The Book Of Souls, Death Or Glory, Empire Of The Clouds

So it looks like Dance of Death wins with Book of Souls coming in 2nd. It appears I find most of AMOLAD somewhat boring.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
^^ I almost published a post earlier with my favorite songs from every Maiden album until I realized that the true list of songs that I always go back to is actually pretty short from the reunion era...

Brave New World
The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers

Dance of Death
Paschendale

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, For the Greater Good of God

(nothing from Final Frontier)

The Book of Souls
If Eternity Should Fail, Speed of Light, The Great Unknown, Death or Glory, Shadows of the Valley, Empire of the Clouds
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
I think it's easier to list the songs I DONT enjoy so much from the reunion era:

Brave New World:

The Nomad

Dance of Death:

Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier

A Matter of Life and Death:

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Final Frontier:

Satellite 15 (I do like TFF), Isle of Avalon

The Book of Souls:

The Man of Sorrows

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 12:02:17 AM »
my unfair stereotype of the show is "Dave Murray stage right whipping off fucking blistering solo after blistering solo, Adrian stage center holding down the rhythm, and Janick stage left practicing some odd form of auto-erotic asphyxiation or auditioning for Cinderella, I'm not sure which."

Made me chortle...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »
AMOLAD gets the slight edge over Brave New World.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2019, 05:55:04 AM »
For a band this late into their career, all 5 of those albums are stunning.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2019, 04:40:30 AM »
AMOLAD gets the slight edge over Brave New World.

Yeah, I'd say the songwriting on AMOLAD is a hair stronger than BNW. However I think Brave New World is still the best sounding album Maiden ever did. Sadly Steve's obsession with recreating the 'live sound' on a studio album has resulted in the subsequent reunion era albums sounding a bit too muddied. AMOLAD seems like the only time that Steve's goal actually worked for me sonically.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »
I'm ripping my Maiden DVDs to harddrive (audio only) so I've been kind of immersed in the reunion era for the past couple weeks*, and man, is it solid.    Comparing the stuff from '90-'93, Bruce is SO much better today.  I don't know if it's him taking better care of his voice, being more invested in the band, or steroids, but man.   I'm SO impressed with the way the three guitarists intertwine - they rarely play the same thing at the same time - and the way the sound is almost like a metal orchestra at times.   

Dance of Death is still my favorite, but it's starting to be so only because of inertia or nostalgia.  AMOLAD is really growing on me over the last few months.  After seeing Blood Brothers close the "Book of Souls" tour, it's a high point for me as well.  So happy that one of my favorite bands is still delivering, and there's not even an ounce of "well, I wish I liked this, I SHOULD like this, but...".  I would not like Marillion if there weren't the first five albums in the catalogue.  I probably wouldn't be here if Dream Theater never released I&W through SFAM.  But I can honestly tell you, even though they're the first band I ever saw live (as an opening act!) and I've been a big fan since '82, if Maiden the band just "began" with Brave New World, I'd still be a huge fan right now.