Author Topic: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)  (Read 52395 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)
« Reply #1260 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
A big subject today at the White House Social Media Summit will be the tremendous dishonesty, bias, discrimination and suppression practiced by certain companies. We will not let them get away with it much longer. The Fake News Media will also be there, but for a limited period...

....The Fake News is not as important, or as powerful, as Social Media. They have lost tremendous credibility since that day in November, 2016, that I came down the escalator with the person who was to become your future First Lady. When I ultimately leave office in six......

....years, or maybe 10 or 14 (just kidding), they will quickly go out of business for lack of credibility, or approval, from the public. That’s why they will all be Endorsing me at some point, one way or the other. Could you imagine having Sleepy Joe Biden, or @AlfredENeuman99...

...or a very nervous and skinny version of Pocahontas (1000/24th), as your President, rather than what you have now, so great looking and smart, a true Stable Genius! Sorry to say that even Social Media would be driven out of business along with, and finally, the Fake News Media!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1149279679045672961

1. Mr 10,000 Lies Since Inauguration, most of them told via social media, is ranting about dishonesty on social media.

1b. Mr Court Just Ordered Him To Stop Banning Critics From His Twitter is ranting about discrimination and suppression on social media.

2. That stuff about ignoring term limits - he's not 'joking'. In the beginning he would float this idea perhaps once every 2 months. Now he's doing it about once a week, and his usual throng of cowed and neutered lapdogs (Lindsey Graham, Steve Scalise, etc) gleefully support him with it, while the rest of the spineless GOP remain deathly silent. Since these people have no issue with Trump "joking" about ripping up the 22nd Amendment, my suggestion for the Dems is to "joke" about ripping up the 2nd and see whether the Republicans have the same good humour about it.

3. "AlfredENeuman" is his nickname for Pete Buttigieg. Ideally he wishes he could simply nickname him the cocksucking faggot and have his minions chant that at his rallies but America isn't quite there yet so he settles for doing that thing he does: reducing very highly educated people to the most ludicrous caricature possible. It used to be one of the honours of an American president to celebrate its highest achieving citizens (which Buttigieg is) and hold them up as examples to aspire to. Trump prefers to mock them. For Donald Trump's political career to exist he needs the ignorant and the uniformed. Thoughtful and educated people like Pete Buttigieg are a threat. 

4. "...a skinny version of Pocahontas". The MAGA minions love this kind of thing. Trump mocking the appearance of women is high comedy to them, they find it hilarious. Quite honestly, it's hilarious to me too. Not because of his mockery of how people look but because of the irony of watching an inbred mass of knuckle-scraping pond life find humour in attacking the appearance of others. 

5. "...and smart, a true Stable Genius".

From the archives:

“I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

I get your point, and don't disagree with it as a general proposition, but I disagree with the specific leaps into real bigotry.  That's the weapon that the Democrats are using (and have used in the past) to go after him, because it resonates with their base and it picks up some of the undecideds, but Trump is not a bigotry guy.  There's a difference between being tolerant of the VOTE, and tolerant of the reasons FOR the vote.   Trump takes the votes from the middle class, but do any of his critics honestly think that Trump really cares for or agrees with the policies of the middle class? So why make that leap to the racists, bigots and homophobes?   

Offline Kattelox

• Son of a Shepherd and Head of Urban Rangers
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Filthy animals do not belong in Rolf's shed!
« Reply #1261 on: July 11, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
Two old white men literally walked into my office today and started talking racist shit and praised Trump and republicans and trashed democrats. Called Snoop Dogg a "racist n*****" and said there ain't nothin' wrong with the Confederate flag, that it's heritage not hate, all the talking points. Trump IS these older white people, just richer. I've heard Boston is the most racist city in America - but Stadler, you should try living out here in the midwest and see how his base really acts. Yes, I know you've been to rallies. Whether or not he buys into it is irrelevant, because he is emboldening these people and has now for years.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki
"Give it all and ask for no return, and very soon you'll see and you'll begin to learn that it's all right" - Bill Ward

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: July 11, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Two old white men literally walked into my office today and started talking racist shit and praised Trump and republicans and trashed democrats. Called Snoop Dogg a "racist n*****" and said there ain't nothin' wrong with the Confederate flag, that it's heritage not hate, all the talking points. Trump IS these older white people, just richer. I've heard Boston is the most racist city in America - but Stadler, you should try living out here in the midwest and see how his base really acts. Yes, I know you've been to rallies. Whether or not he buys into it is irrelevant, because he is emboldening these people and has now for years.

Those old white guys just woke up and decided to be racists? I don't think so. 

I've lived in Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, and Connecticut (so I'll take Boston by association).  The racism is different, or should I say, takes different forms.   It's far more polite and cultured in Atlanta and Charlotte, two cities that in general are far more polite and cultured than Boston or Philly.   In Philly, one of the cheese steak guys (I think it was Geno, though it could have been Pat) had a sign that made national news:  "Order in English or don't order at all" or something like that.  You would NEVER say that in Atlanta or Charlotte.   The difference is, Pat likely has a black family or latino family on his block and wouldn't lift a finger to deny them that chance.  The real estate agent that sold me my house in Georgia?   He made it clear that the houses were priced in such a way as to be selective, in that not everyone could live there.  At first I thought he meant purely economics, but in hindsight, it had ZERO to do with economics.   

I'm not naive to the "emboldened", but I'm also not afraid of it either.  I think it's just as naive to think that "if we don't talk about it, if we all just say all teh right things, it'll go away!".   I firmly believe that that's why we have Trump to begin with, because we had eight years of saying all the right things, but not DOING the things that mattered to the most people.  There's a good article on Bernie Sanders in the second newest issue of Rolling Stone, and as much I as don't like Matt Taibbi's arrogance, he does nail it almost 100% correct, and Bernie is basing his entire campaign on it:   Trump is here not because he's a bigot representing a country of bigots, but because he capitalized on an epic level of disillusionment that the democrat party is ignoring because they've lost the forest for the (racial) trees.   

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/bernie-sanders-campaign-trail-taibbi-833386/

An excerpt: "Greenberg was describing the predominantly white working-class voters who jumped to the Republican Party in droves in the Reagan years. Greenberg’s initial explanation, which became the traditional diagnosis among political scientists, was that these voters had been lured away mostly by racial appeals, over issues like busing and urban-renewal grants.

The Sanders campaign is betting on another take. They believe Democrats don’t have a problem with working-class white voters, but a problem with working-class voters of all races and backgrounds — lost to the party over the years due to frustrations with free-trade policies, a 50-year decline in real wages, disillusionment with bipartisan-supported foreign wars and their costs for military families, failure to regulate an increasingly exploitative financial-services sector, exploding incarceration rates and so on.

Craig Regester, an Ann Arbor professor and activist who introduces Sanders at the rally, hammers the theme when he takes the lectern. Regester says that when Reagan won here, political scientists “went crazy” trying to figure out what happened. Clearly referencing the race issue, he says, “They had all these theories, these elitist misunderstandings of the good and decent people who work and live in Macomb County. . . . What Bernie Sanders understands about what happened then, that no other Democratic candidate understands, is that those folks didn’t leave the Democratic Party. The party actually might have left them.”

Offline Kattelox

• Son of a Shepherd and Head of Urban Rangers
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Filthy animals do not belong in Rolf's shed!
« Reply #1263 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
I said Trump was emboldening them. Your very first sentence is irrelevant. I'm done entertaining racists when we have a President who openly embraces those people, which in turn makes them feel even more comfortable spouting stupidity - not that I was entertaining them beforehand, mind.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:19:32 PM by Kattelox »
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki
"Give it all and ask for no return, and very soon you'll see and you'll begin to learn that it's all right" - Bill Ward

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1264 on: July 11, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »

Those old white guys just woke up and decided to be racists? I don't think so. 

I don't want to speak for Kattelox, but my guess is that he meant racists are more likely to be vocal about now thanks to the widely-held perception/belief that Trump is a racist.  In other words, they went from being quiet about it and keeping it to themselves to thinking, "hey, it is okay to be a racist again!"

That said, it goes without saying that racists come in all forms, and it seems like nowadays that if anybody is thought to be a racist, the automatic assumption is that they are a Trump fan and/or a Republican and/or a conservative, which is untrue.  Some conservatives are racist. Some centrists are racist. Some liberals are racist.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1265 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
A big subject today at the White House Social Media Summit will be the tremendous dishonesty, bias, discrimination and suppression practiced by certain companies. We will not let them get away with it much longer. The Fake News Media will also be there, but for a limited period...

....The Fake News is not as important, or as powerful, as Social Media. They have lost tremendous credibility since that day in November, 2016, that I came down the escalator with the person who was to become your future First Lady. When I ultimately leave office in six......

....years, or maybe 10 or 14 (just kidding), they will quickly go out of business for lack of credibility, or approval, from the public. That’s why they will all be Endorsing me at some point, one way or the other. Could you imagine having Sleepy Joe Biden, or @AlfredENeuman99...

...or a very nervous and skinny version of Pocahontas (1000/24th), as your President, rather than what you have now, so great looking and smart, a true Stable Genius! Sorry to say that even Social Media would be driven out of business along with, and finally, the Fake News Media!

1. Mr 10,000 Lies Since Inauguration, most of them told via social media, is ranting about dishonesty on social media.

1b. Mr Court Just Ordered Him To Stop Banning Critics From His Twitter is ranting about discrimination and suppression on social media.

2. That stuff about ignoring term limits - he's not 'joking'. In the beginning he would float this idea perhaps once every 2 months. Now he's doing it about once a week, and his usual throng of cowed and neutered lapdogs (Lindsey Graham, Steve Scalise, etc) gleefully support him with it, while the rest of the spineless GOP remain deathly silent. Since these people have no issue with Trump "joking" about ripping up the 22nd Amendment, my suggestion for the Dems is to "joke" about ripping up the 2nd and see whether the Republicans have the same good humour about it.

3. "AlfredENeuman" is his nickname for Pete Buttigieg. Ideally he wishes he could simply nickname him the cocksucking faggot and have his minions chant that at his rallies but America isn't quite there yet so he settles for doing that thing he does: reducing very highly educated people to the most ludicrous caricature possible. It used to be one of the honours of an American president to celebrate its highest achieving citizens (which Buttigieg is) and hold them up as examples to aspire to. Trump prefers to mock them. For Donald Trump's political career to exist he needs the ignorant and the uniformed. Thoughtful and educated people like Pete Buttigieg are a threat. 

4. "...a skinny version of Pocahontas". The MAGA minions love this kind of thing. Trump mocking the appearance of women is high comedy to them, they find it hilarious. Quite honestly, it's hilarious to me too. Not because of his mockery of how people look but because of the irony of watching an inbred mass of knuckle-scraping pond life find humour in attacking the appearance of others. 

From the archives:

“I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

I get your point, and don't disagree with it as a general proposition, but I disagree with the specific leaps into real bigotry.  That's the weapon that the Democrats are using (and have used in the past) to go after him, because it resonates with their base and it picks up some of the undecideds, but Trump is not a bigotry guy.  There's a difference between being tolerant of the VOTE, and tolerant of the reasons FOR the vote.   Trump takes the votes from the middle class, but do any of his critics honestly think that Trump really cares for or agrees with the policies of the middle class? So why make that leap to the racists, bigots and homophobes?

I'm not suggesting Trump is a racist or a homophobe. I don't believe he is, because racism and homophobia are types of conviction, and I don't believe Donald Trump has any convictions, concerns, principles or ideology beyond his own self-promotion. What I do think, touched on by Katt, is that he panders to the uneducated, the fearful and the uninformed. And in my opinion, racists and homophobes tend to fall into those categories. Trump likes groups of people who fear other groups of people, it plays into his tribalistic political strategy of fomenting mistrust and resentment and setting people against each other. A country that was roughly unified and secure about itself wouldn't have Donald Trump as president, and he knows it.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1266 on: July 11, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Missed one: "1000/24th" is the Stable Genius' mangled attempt to relay the news that Elizabeth Warren's DNA test showed she may be 1/1024th Native American. Either that or it's a coded way of suggesting George H.W.Bush was Satan (1000/24 = 41.666). More likely, Mr The Federal Reserve Has No Idea What It's Doing struggles with basic math notation.

As happens with around half the American President's tweets, this has since been taken down and corrected. It took a while. It seems an hour is the approximate time it takes to teach the Stable Genius how fractions work.

#BeBest
#TrumpUniversity
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1267 on: July 11, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
That said, it goes without saying that racists come in all forms, and it seems like nowadays that if anybody is thought to be a racist, the automatic assumption is that they are a Trump fan and/or a Republican and/or a conservative, which is untrue.  Some conservatives are racist. Some centrists are racist. Some liberals are racist.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Today, if you're white you're racist. Your party affiliation doesn't factor into that. Where it does come into play is that if you're a proper liberal you admit that you're a racist and bad because of it. If you're a conservative then you deny or make excuses. I've said all along that the dumbing down of language has greater consequences than simply communication, and this is an example of it. We're now expected to apply the worst descriptor we can to all acts, thoughts, or behviors, thus watering them down. Racism has become diluted to the point of it becoming trivial in meaning. It still carries such a sentimental kick to the nuts that we're not ready to remedy it, though.

The same thing applies to rape, which is damn near universally applicable to all sexual acts at this point. We're seeing this in the Epstein case right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1268 on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Today, if you're white you're racist. Your party affiliation doesn't factor into that. Where it does come into play is that if you're a proper liberal you admit that you're a racist and bad because of it. If you're a conservative then you deny or make excuses. I've said all along that the dumbing down of language has greater consequences than simply communication, and this is an example of it. We're now expected to apply the worst descriptor we can to all acts, thoughts, or behviors, thus watering them down. Racism has become diluted to the point of it becoming trivial in meaning. It still carries such a sentimental kick to the nuts that we're not ready to remedy it, though.

The same thing applies to rape, which is damn near universally applicable to all sexual acts at this point. We're seeing this in the Epstein case right now.

I've been doing the dating thing a lot lately and at the end of a good one the other night, I went in for kiss. I legit paused and asked "can I kiss you?". I felt like such a dweeb  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1269 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »

I've been doing the dating thing a lot lately and at the end of a good one the other night, I went in for kiss. I legit paused and asked "can I kiss you?". I felt like such a dweeb  :lol

Long before the metoo movement, back when i was just a late teen, I asked if I could kiss a girl and she said "not if you ask me"

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1270 on: July 11, 2019, 05:52:58 PM »

Well, yeah, that is another way to look at it.  :lol :lol

The sad thing is, there is still racism out there, but so many play the race card so often and quickly now that it has become white noise to a lot of people. 

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1271 on: July 11, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
White noise lol
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1272 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »

The sad thing is, there is still racism out there, but so many play the race card so often and quickly now that it has become white noise to a lot of people.

And who determines what's white noise and what's not, do you really think your own judement is always right?  That's why we have to listen, and learn.

edit: let me put it this way,  it's especially in those times when our first instinct is to say "well that's nonsense, why would anyone be upset about that?" that we should stop and interrogate that instinct.  Stop and really listen to what's going on, look deeper.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:58:46 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1273 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Link to where I said my own judgment is always right? 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1274 on: July 11, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »

And who determines what's white noise and what's not, do you really think your own judement is always right?  That's why we have to listen, and learn.

edit: let me put it this way,  it's especially in those times when our first instinct is to say "well that's nonsense, why would anyone be upset about that?" that we should stop and interrogate that instinct.  Stop and really listen to what's going on, look deeper.
Each and every one of us. Do you really think that your own judgement is always worse than that of the mob?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1275 on: July 11, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
Link to where I said my own judgment is always right?

I thought that was implied in  "to a lot of people".  They (including you) think a lot of racism is noise.  I offered a different perspective.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1276 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:42 PM »

Each and every one of us. Do you really think that your own judgement is always worse than that of the mob?

I don't care about mobs, I don't base anything on that, it's such a vague amorphous concept anyway.   Listening to actual people works for me.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1277 on: July 12, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »
Let's take the discussion about ignorance, offensiveness, sexual impropriety, inciting mob instincts, bigotry, racism and the abuse of language to the relevant threads please guys. This is the thread for discussing the tweets of President Donald Trump.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: July 12, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »

From the archives:

I'm not suggesting Trump is a racist or a homophobe. I don't believe he is, because racism and homophobia are types of conviction, and I don't believe Donald Trump has any convictions, concerns, principles or ideology beyond his own self-promotion. What I do think, touched on by Katt, is that he panders to the uneducated, the fearful and the uninformed. And in my opinion, racists and homophobes tend to fall into those categories. Trump likes groups of people who fear other groups of people, it plays into his tribalistic political strategy of fomenting mistrust and resentment and setting people against each other. A country that was roughly unified and secure about itself wouldn't have Donald Trump as president, and he knows it.

And my point is not to "entertain" racism - it's an odious, narrow, and limiting idea - but I think most of the politicians on BOTH SIDES pander to the "uneducated, the fearful and the uninformed" to various degrees, and with varying subtlety.  Trump and/or the GOP have no monopoly on that.   Screaming that every sentence out of his mouth is "FASCISM!" or "the end of DEMOCRACY!" is doing the exact same thing (especially in light of your comment - that I wholeheartedly agree with - that Trump lacks the conviction necessary for same).   Ocasio-Cortez using the shorthand of "concentration camps", Biden calling Trump an "existential crisis", Hillary calling his supporters "deplorable", these are all forms of pandering, all forms of fear-mongering, just perhaps dressed up in better costumes.   Hell, for a while there, the RESISTANCE! even co-opted the word "terrifying" to bluntly frame the argument (I'm not going through this again; I've posted articles defending this position in the past; you either accept it or you don't, that's fine).   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: July 12, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »

But this is a very, very important post:  we should NEVER just assume our judgment is right.  Right or wrong, my very position is predicated on never assuming my judgment is right.    We can believe it, but we owe ourselves and others the constant sort of "calibration" of a check now and again.  The problem alluded to by El Barto is that only one side is being asked to "check their judgment".    I believe you are 100% correct, Xe, but only as far as you go. I also believe that if your first instinct is to say "well that's nonsense, why can't everyone see that's racism/fascism/bigotry", it might be useful to "stop and interrogate (LOVE that phrase) that instinct.   Stop and really listen to what's going on, look deeper."   There's not a lot of that at this point; I get it, one might still not love what they hear, but it may actually result in a little more TRUE tolerance and not the "Forced acceptance" that is masquerading as tolerance in America circa 2019. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1280 on: July 12, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »
And my point is not to "entertain" racism - it's an odious, narrow, and limiting idea - but I think most of the politicians on BOTH SIDES pander to the "uneducated, the fearful and the uninformed" to various degrees, and with varying subtlety.  Trump and/or the GOP have no monopoly on that.   Screaming that every sentence out of his mouth is "FASCISM!" or "the end of DEMOCRACY!" is doing the exact same thing (especially in light of your comment - that I wholeheartedly agree with - that Trump lacks the conviction necessary for same).   Ocasio-Cortez using the shorthand of "concentration camps", Biden calling Trump an "existential crisis", Hillary calling his supporters "deplorable", these are all forms of pandering, all forms of fear-mongering, just perhaps dressed up in better costumes.   Hell, for a while there, the RESISTANCE! even co-opted the word "terrifying" to bluntly frame the argument (I'm not going through this again; I've posted articles defending this position in the past; you either accept it or you don't, that's fine).

I think the key difference in our points is in the underlined part. The way I see things, pandering to ignorant people has always been one tool in a politician's arsenal but it has never been the only tactic. With Trump, I think it is. I think Donald Trump's entire political career has been possible only through a systematic lowering of both the intelligence and the expectations of the electorate (almost none of which is his fault, it started long before he arrived on the scene). He is desperate to win in 2020 because he doesn't want to be the first president since 1992 to serve only 1 term. In his mind, that will be a failure, it will mean that America took a real look at what he can do and rejected him (and putting my Sigmund cap on for a moment, I get the impression rejection is Trump's biggest fear). I think that Trump knows, at an instinctive level, that no healthy country would ever elect such an appalling and poorly-educated person as him to be their president, and so his tactic is to increase the sickness; the 'sickness' in this context being a country that (from my perspective) is socially divided, ideologically bankrupt, inattentive, bored and mostly dumb. Those are the things I think Trump tries to sustain, because to sustain those things is to sustain him.

The Dems play parts of the same game, and they have their own set of morons they pander to, but it's not the lifeblood of their strategy, that's my point. Nancy, AOC, Pete Buttigieg, Warren, Bernie, Kamala - put any one of them in a room full of greasy-haired leftie simpletons and they will play that crowd expertly. But, put any of one of them in a university auditorium with a group of highly educated lefties, and they will be equally at ease. Donald Trump can only play to a dumb crowd. That's my point. And just like the class moron at school, he knows that he can't exist in an 'intellectual' environment, so he becomes the class clown. He disrupts everything, drags everything down to his level, stops other people from learning and speaking. It's a level at which he is suddenly the most skilled person. Not a single day goes by that he doesn't say something that, if your 9-year-old nephew said it, you'd worry about his mental development. Not a day goes by that he doesn't hurl some childish insult at someone (today at Paul Ryan, yesterday at Pete Buttigieg, the day before at the British Ambassador, etc). His public persona is based on pettiness, anger, mockery, insults, stoking division and degrading the status of truth and knowledge. And while I don't deny that there are people 'on the left' who are guilty of the same thing, I for one have never seen anybody from the political class of the American left display anything remotely close to what Trump does. It tends to be non-entities writing on social media, and I'm old enough to remember a time when there was no equivalence between the behaviour of some random dipshit on the internet and the behaviour of the American president. I think the best waterline marker for where America is heading is that we now measure the behaviour of the American president by that of its lowest, dumbest and most offensive citizens:

"The President called his own former Secretary of State a dumb as a rock loser!"

"Yeah but someone on Facebook called him an orange moron!"   

And I've said it before, and we agree with each other on this point, but I'll say it again: I don't blame Trump for the circumstances that saw him elected. He saw an opportunity for self-promotion and he took it, probably never realising himself just how many people there were who were so sick and tired of the political establishment that they'd give him a chance. I don't blame him and I don't blame anyone who voted for him in 2016. I do however blame him for so much of what has followed since then, because he is, to my mind, unquestionably to blame for it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: July 13, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
Can I just preface this by saying NONE of what I'm going to write is to argue with you. This is two guys shooting the shit in a pub, and I'm almost completely agreeing with you, but hoping to provide some color.

The Dems play parts of the same game, and they have their own set of morons they pander to, but it's not the lifeblood of their strategy, that's my point. Nancy, AOC, Pete Buttigieg, Warren, Bernie, Kamala - put any one of them in a room full of greasy-haired leftie simpletons and they will play that crowd expertly. But, put any of one of them in a university auditorium with a group of highly educated lefties, and they will be equally at ease. Donald Trump can only play to a dumb crowd. That's my point. And just like the class moron at school, he knows that he can't exist in an 'intellectual' environment, so he becomes the class clown. He disrupts everything, drags everything down to his level, stops other people from learning and speaking. It's a level at which he is suddenly the most skilled person. Not a single day goes by that he doesn't say something that, if your 9-year-old nephew said it, you'd worry about his mental development. Not a day goes by that he doesn't hurl some childish insult at someone (today at Paul Ryan, yesterday at Pete Buttigieg, the day before at the British Ambassador, etc). His public persona is based on pettiness, anger, mockery, insults, stoking division and degrading the status of truth and knowledge. And while I don't deny that there are people 'on the left' who are guilty of the same thing, I for one have never seen anybody from the political class of the American left display anything remotely close to what Trump does.

He is of course the most extreme version, true.  But I can't help but equate this to the Epstein thread.   Is what Epstein allegedly did any less odious than what Kraft allegedly did TO THE WOMEN DOING IT?  While we have to be careful that we don't characterize asking a girl on a date as "sexual assault", by the same token, there is a line where the "extremity" matters less and less.   To beat the dead horse, whether I kill someone with a massive slice to their throat with a dull katana, or I hack at them with 950 slices of a razor blade, at some point we're talking about a murder. 

I don't think all Democrats are bad, and I don't at all think all Republicans are good.   But I think there is very much a parity on bad behavior and partisanship.  In another thread, I think I said Nancy Pelosi is the smartest, most adult person in Washington, and Mitch McConnell is the most toxic person in Washington not named "Trump".   Here's the thing, though:  when Trump is gone, the "outrageous overshadowing" will be gone, and we're going to be right back where we were in 2014, with a very divided electorate, and a very disillusioned middle class, and a raft of politicians that are self-serving and oblivious to the real problem and the real solution.   

It tends to be non-entities writing on social media, and I'm old enough to remember a time when there was no equivalence between the behaviour of some random dipshit on the internet and the behaviour of the American president. I think the best waterline marker for where America is heading is that we now measure the behaviour of the American president by that of its lowest, dumbest and most offensive citizens:

"The President called his own former Secretary of State a dumb as a rock loser!"

"Yeah but someone on Facebook called him an orange moron!"   

And I've said it before, and we agree with each other on this point, but I'll say it again: I don't blame Trump for the circumstances that saw him elected. He saw an opportunity for self-promotion and he took it, probably never realising himself just how many people there were who were so sick and tired of the political establishment that they'd give him a chance. I don't blame him and I don't blame anyone who voted for him in 2016. I do however blame him for so much of what has followed since then, because he is, to my mind, unquestionably to blame for it.

I agree, but I would note, because I think you'll find it interesting, that much of your analysis (and I unquestionably agree with your analysis) of Trump is that he is REACTIVE in nature.  For a man that prides himself on being an alpha male leader, he is INCREDIBLY reactive.   Not necessarily a bad thing - in business school it's called "Fast Follower", and many, many successes are in fact not innovative, but are fast followers - but it's very indicative of his personality and his strategy.  Not that this absolves him of any blame, but it does go to complicity.   It's obviously something we can debate, and there are merits to both sides, but if one KNOWS that another is going to react in a certain, negative way and acts anyway, can they really claim "clean hands"?   (By the way, it's not entirely why, but this is in part why I tend to look at "grab 'em by the pussy" as bluster and not confession). 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1282 on: July 14, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381394234941448

Just the American President suggesting democratically-elected United States congresswomen fuck off back to where they came from. No biggie.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #1283 on: July 14, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
American citizens should go back to where they came from. AOC is from ... the Bronx.

Are we surprised the leader of Birtherism is insinuating POC aren't actually Americans?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1284 on: July 14, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
so this is, *checks notes* yeah it’s definitely a new low, believe it or not. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1285 on: July 14, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
That should read, "democratically-elected United States congresswomen of color".  But it isn't surprising and it definitely won't matter.  Is anyone really shocked what the Poop-Tweeter in Chief tweets anymore?  If it's misogynistic, racist, or attacks the foundations of this country, you can bet his minions will simply shout "MAGA" and lap up the next floating turd he launches out of his ample ass.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1286 on: July 14, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
That should read, "democratically-elected United States congresswomen of color".  But it isn't surprising and it definitely won't matter.  Is anyone really shocked what the Poop-Tweeter in Chief tweets anymore?  If it's misogynistic, racist, or attacks the foundations of this country, you can bet his minions will simply shout "MAGA" and lap up the next floating turd he launches out of his ample ass.

Usually no but to be honest this one did actually surprise me. It's been predicted that he would get worse and worse as 2020 approaches but I didn't expect him to tweet out stuff like this so early on. Interested to see the reaction from the GOP. Trump has ripped the spine out of the party so I suppose it'll just be more deathly silence until the next time they decide to be outraged by AOC's college dancing videos.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1287 on: July 14, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
Speaking of AOC:

Mr. President, the country I “come from,” & the country we all swear to, is the United States.

But given how you’ve destroyed our border with inhumane camps, all at a benefit to you & the corps who profit off them, you are absolutely right about the corruption laid at your feet.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1150443496345624577

You are angry because you can’t conceive of an America that includes us. You rely on a frightened America for your plunder.

You won’t accept a nation that sees healthcare as a right or education as a #1 priority, especially where we’re the ones fighting for it.

Yet here we are.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1150445185438035968

But you know what’s the rub of it all, Mr. President?

On top of not accepting an America that elected us, you cannot accept that we don’t fear you,either.

You can’t accept that we will call your bluff & offer a positive vision for this country. And that’s what makes you seethe.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1150446897490026497

Dirty communist whore needs to fuck off back to Africa with the rest of the Mexicans.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #1288 on: July 14, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
I'm not usually high on AOC but that's a pretty brilliant response.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1289 on: July 14, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
Right, she is fairly clueless in general, but that was a good retort to what was probably Trump's most objectionable tweet to date, which is saying something.  I actually might feel sorry for the man/woman who becomes the next president because Trump will probably tweet all day every day about them...as much as I can possibly feel sorry for a politician that is. :lol :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1290 on: July 14, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
No sir. I don't like it. Her response is pretty standard, which is exactly what Trump relies on. The correctness of it will be lost on him, right over his head, and the politeness will just egg him on. I probably would have gone with the straightforward "I come from America, you idiot." Why is it that nobody replies to his absurd tweets with direct confrontation? Taking the high road is what he expects. Telling him he's an idiot and providing a very simple, easy to digest explanation why is something nobody ever does.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1291 on: July 14, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
I don't think anyone wants to be thought of as "the left's Donald Trump" in that regard.  And tweeting that just shows what a moron Trump is sometimes.  The Democrats have been eating their own lately, highlighted this week with AOC playing the race card against the leader of her own party, and then he tweets that which will unite them against his awful rhetoric.  He simply cannot get out of his own way.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1292 on: July 14, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »
No sir. I don't like it. Her response is pretty standard, which is exactly what Trump relies on. The correctness of it will be lost on him, right over his head, and the politeness will just egg him on. I probably would have gone with the straightforward "I come from America, you idiot." Why is it that nobody replies to his absurd tweets with direct confrontation? Taking the high road is what he expects. Telling him he's an idiot and providing a very simple, easy to digest explanation why is something nobody ever does.

I don't think that would achieve anything different than AOC's approach to be honest. Trump wouldn't read "I come from America, you idiot" and think "Shit, I made a mistake. Sorry!". Facts don't matter to him or to his base. These women aren't white so they have no business advising the American government on what to do (also known as 'doing the job they were elected to do', incidentally). There's a video that's been doing the rounds this weekend of two women in Florida telling the manager of a Burger King to "go back to your Mexican country" (they heard him speaking Spanish), even though - if it even matters - he told them he's from Puerto Rico. Trump's tweets are aimed at people like that. Like AOC said, his political career relies on a frightened America, and as I said 2 days ago, Trump knows that no healthy, unified, confident country has someone like him as President.

In my opinion, AOC did the right thing. She illustrated the gulf between herself (eloquent, dignified, self-possessed) and him (inarticulate, shameless, thin-skinned). Personally I loved her sardonic observation that Trump was unwittingly correct when he described the government of the country she 'originally came from' (i.e the USA) as "a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere". The MAGA Minions are a small percentage of the people who voted for him in 2016 so the more his idiocy is highlighted and contrasted with dignity, the greater the chance that swing voters will be sick and tired of having this fool in the Oval Office come 2020.

This is slightly off-topic, but I'll work around to its relevance. Steve Mnuchin sent out a warning last week that the American government is running out of money faster than expected and is likely to default on its obligations as soon as September (yet another government shutdown is coming in other words). Trump touts the stock market as evidence of economic 'success' because, again, he counts on speaking to a moronic base, but unless a miracle happens (or unless he successfully forces the Federal Reserve to make his numbers look good until 2024, at which point the whole thing will come crashing down but he won't care because he'll blame his successor), America is facing an enormous financial reckoning. Between Trump's tax cuts and his massive spending of money that isn't his to spend, the shit is going to hit the fan. The relevance is this: the MAGA Minions are a lost cause and Hillary was correct to write them off, but most people who voted for Trump are normal folk whose primary concern was the economy. So if that tanks sometime in the next year, he loses in 2020. All the people who held their noses and voted for the guy because they thought he might be good for the economy, he'll lose a critical portion of that bloc I think. So in the meantime, I think the best strategy is for the Dems to play it cool, don't rise to his insults, and respond with dignity.

What I'm dreading most if Trump loses in 2020 is the inevitability of all these spineless, enabling Republicans who will come out of the woodwork to denounce the Trump era. I'm glad Paul Ryan is now talking about how ignorant Trump is, but on the other hand I want to tell him "fuck you", because why the hell didn't he say this when it would have made an actual difference? Why didn't John Kelly? Why didn't Rex Tillerson? They all trash him from the safety of having quit his Administration but kiss his ass when their careers are on the line. In 2015 Lindsey Graham described Trump as a "race-baiting, xenophobic bigot". A year later when it looked like he was going to become his new boss, and he had seen what happens to people who oppose Der Fuhrer, he was singing a very different tune. Not one of them has a single principle beyond self-interest and self-preservation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:16:36 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1293 on: July 15, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
Oh look, Donald Trump doubled down. Who saw that coming?

So sad to see the Democrats sticking up for people who speak so badly of our Country and who, in addition, hate Israel with a true and unbridled passion. Whenever confronted, they call their adversaries, including Nancy Pelosi, “RACIST.” Their disgusting language.....

....and the many terrible things they say about the United States must not be allowed to go unchallenged. If the Democrat Party wants to continue to condone such disgraceful behavior, then we look even more forward to seeing you at the ballot box in 2020!

When will the Radical Left Congresswomen apologize to our Country, the people of Israel and even to the Office of the President, for the foul language they have used, and the terrible things they have said. So many people are angry at them & their horrible & disgusting actions!

If Democrats want to unite around the foul language & racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular & unrepresentative Congresswomen, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can tell you that they have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.

1.  "People who speak so badly of our country" - this is classic Trumpism right here, drawing an equivalence between being appalled by him and 'hating America'. Trump has not provided a single instance of these people "speaking so badly of America", because a) none exist, and b) he knows he doesn't have to. Facts don't matter anymore. The President lies and the GOP let him do it. It's just the way things are now.

2.  They "hate Israel with a true and unbridled passion". He's pulling out the big guns here. "You're an anti-Semite" trumps absolutely everything. Again, he has provided no evidence that these people "hate Israel", but he doesn't need to. Facts don't matter, etc.

3. "Their disgusting and foul language...". The pussy-grabbing, shithole country-disdaining, black sons of bitches-berating American president wants America to watch its p's and q's. Of course, Trump has provided not one example of this "disgusting language" they use, but he doesn't need to. Facts don't matter, etc.

4. "Racist hatred spewed from the mouths of these very unpopular and unrepresentative congresswomen". Accusing the other side of that which you are guilty was a cornerstone of Joseph Goebbels' rules of propaganda and Trump is being a diligent student here. Of course, Trump has provided no examples of this "racist hatred" that "spews" from their mouths, but he doesn't need to. Facts don't matter, etc. It's also interesting to wonder in what way he feels these 4 democratically-elected women are "unrepresentative", but I suspect I already know. 

5. British Prime Minister Theresa May just joined with other European leaders in condemning Trump's words. Expect, therefore, an incoming Trump tweet denouncing the "very weak and stupid Theresa May" any moment now.

6. Most importantly, I call on everyone here to remember the golden rule: if you dare to find anything unpleasant about Donald Trump and voice your objections, you are a Jew-hating socialist traitor to the World's Greatest Democracy. Oh, and fuck all those libtards who try to shut down conversation by hurling insults. Thank heavens for the Republican Party who are here to put an end to that nonsense.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:11:49 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1294 on: July 15, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
The sycophant-in-chief (Lindsey Graham) has raced to his lord and master's defence:

“We all know that AOC and this crowd are a bunch of Communists, they hate Israel, they hate our own Country, they’re calling the guards along our Border (the Border Patrol Agents) Concentration Camp Guards, they accuse people who support Israel as doing it for the Benjamin’s,....

....they are Anti-Semitic, they are Anti-America, we don’t need to know anything about them personally, talk about their policies. I think they are American citizens who are duly elected that are running on an agenda that is disgusting, that the American people will reject......"

1. "They are Anti-Semitic, they are Anti-America, we don't need to know anything about them personally". Evidently.

2. A reminder that shortly before Donald Trump won the Republican nomination, Lindsey Graham called him a "race-baiting, xenophobic religious bigot". Then Trump became the nominee and Graham, like every other hypocritical, moralising, spineless piece of shit currently in the GOP, decided to sell his soul to save his own career, having seen what happens to Republican congresspeople who ever dare criticise Il Duce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njxl721L2p8