Author Topic: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)  (Read 42170 times)

Snow Dog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)
« Reply #1015 on: March 14, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
It looks like Fox also mentioned this.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/melania-trump-rep-slams-the-view-for-shameful-body-double-segment

A spokeswoman for Melania Trump ripped “The View” as “shameful” and said the ABC News program laughs in the face of tragedy after a segment exploring whether or not there is a body double for the first lady.

Co-host Joy Behar explained that “some people think the first lady is using an impostor” during public appearances, pointing to a viral conspiracy theory that is labeled with the hashtag #FakeMelania. The ABC News gabfest then displayed tweets in which people speculate that a stand-in actress replaces the president’s wife on occasion.

That would explain why I still didn't hear of it. My social media profiles are tailored in such a way that I don't see any kind of content even remotely related to anything that'd be found interesting by The View viewers' standard.

The View is a pretty big show right? Like millions of people watch it per day? I've seen (unfortunately) segments from that sorry excuse of a morning show, and I can see their audience eating that shit up, even if they're approaching it from a fence standpoint.

This makes sense now that I know Fox mentioned it.

Since Trump lies and facts are deathly important, let these marinate for a while:

For all the nonsense about "Fox News" corrupting 'Murica, and brain-washing us into deplorables, the December 2018 viewership for Sean Hannity:     2.76 million people (and falling).   https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-host-sean-hannity-has-seen-his-ratings-fall-buddy-donald-trumps-1272554    The October 2018 weekly average viewership for "The View"?  2.9 million.   https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/THE-VIEW-Sees-Ratings-Growth-Over-THE-TALK-20181016

So if Fox News is destroying the fabric of reality 2.76 million people at a time, why do the 2.9 million lapping up the Trump HateTM not at the very least negate that impact, or (more likely) create their own wave of "mindless followers"?  Why do we seem to want to assume that the watchers of The View are credible, fact-based and reasonable*, but the watchers of Fox News - specifically Hannity - are drooling, mouth-breathing sycophants that wouldn't know truth if it was nibbling on their nipple?   

* Joy Behar, a host of The View, has been embroiled in SEVERAL high-profile scandals where her controversial statements - many not at all grounded in truth, many grounded in hate and vitriol - has gotten her in trouble.  There is no benefit of "virtue" on The View, simply an opposing view-point.

I don't think it's a direct comparison. Fox News as a whole reaches and influences far more people in this country than The View does. Hannity might get the same number of views per week as The View, but what does the network get per week? Also, The View isn't the driving force behind our nation's current foreign and economic policies.

It's pretty close, though.  Hannity is the biggest name on that network, and so the number is about the same, 2.9 million average (this for October 2018).   Also, I think the notion that they are "driving policy" is a) way overblown, and b) doesn't account for both Obama and Clinton "blaming" Fox News (in part) for the loss of Clinton in November of 2016.   Regardless, if "Network A" influences listeners with it's bias, the question (to all, not just beating on Chino here), why doesn't "Networks B through Z" - all with an opposite bias - do the same?    It makes no sense.
I think you focus too much on numbers when discussing FOX. The reality is that it's the primary news source for half of this country. Viewership between X and Y doesn't really give you an accurate picture, and human nature further blurs the lines. Most people don't want to admit their own limitations. "Well I get my news from 12 different sources." Yeah, bullshit. Christ, you've seen my startup page, which is constantly open on one monitor, and FOX is my number one source of news.
Honest question:  how do we say "the numbers don't matter" and then say "it's the primary news source for half the country".   What half? 

Now, I get that you are talking about other sources beyond television, and that's a fair point, but it still doesn't really answer the question, because all other outlets have multiple platforms as well.    Are you assuming a "Howard Stern Phenomenon" here, where "fans" of the show listened for like an hour a day, but people that "hated" Stern listened to him for 2 and a half hours, or some nonsense like that?   

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not seeing any compelling reason why Fox is being singled out here (though, el Barto, I do agree with your notion of blurring, and the necessity to account for human nature). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: March 14, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
Cool. All valid but not related points to what I was originally trying to bring up. And while you're not a mod and don't have the power to actually shut it down, you've successfully derailed the convo to such an extent that it shut it down. Which is what you usually do.

We get it. You've posted your position several dozen times by this point. No one is arguing with you. At least that I can see. If you want to start a thread dedicated to that position, have at it, but please stop hijacking every Trump convo with the exact same point. In fact, the point you're arguing is EXACTLY what I said I wasn't saying....in the post you quoted.

I don't disagree with you, it's just not what we're talking about right now. And honestly, I'm tempted to just stop posting in these threads all together because it's becoming exhausting having every Trump convo derailed into a repetition of the exact same (and very valid) point you make over and over again. Like I said, start a dedicated thread to that. It would be a great convo to have, just not in the middle of other convos that get pushed aside for it.

You know?

Stads... it's like your tactic is similar to what Dave eluded to as Trump's tactic with "Fake News".  As Adami states, you repeatedly - REPEATEDLY - draw discussions back to the same points, the one in question now being the inevitability of Trump over the path of the last 15-20 years (I'm sincerely stunned you didn't reference Clinton/shades/sax/Arsenio).  You've done it so much that we expect it, and - again as Adami states - it is stifling actual discussions, with Adami even suggesting he's contemplated abandoning the discussion at all.

So pretty please, with sugar on top... stop bringing up this fucking point as a counter argument to (or worse yet, a justification of) Trump's bad behaviour.

We.
All.
Get.
It.

Deeply respectfully, but

I.
Don't.
Agree.

And look, it's a bullshit position to say "I'm going to say my piece, but you, Stadler, you keep offering yours, I'm just going to take my ball and go home."

Well, I'll do that for you.  You all keep Making fun of Trump and His Tweets and funny CAPITALIZATIONS, and blaming Faux News for all the ills of society, and let's check back in in 24 months and see where we're at.   You think this is fun?  You think I have nothing better to do than repeat myself?   How do you think I feel seeing the same tired nonsense about a news show that I don't even watch, while the constant and incessant bombardment of Democratic framing goes on and on, unremarked?  I can't watch an awards show (the one before the Oscars; Golden Globes?), watch the news (I watch CNN mostly), listen to music (too many to name), go to a concert (the Boss), play HQ trivia (especially Scott Rogowski), or watch my favorite fantasy TV show (Supergirl)  without hearing about how fucking evil Trump is (all real world, documentable examples).  Hell, I went to a business meeting yesterday at a contractors office and while we're waiting the receptionist went off on how ridiculous "this guy in the White House" is.     

So please, if you all "get it", I'm not seeing it.  But out of respect for people that I like, I'm done.  You have your echo chamber, I'm going to go discuss philosophy and morals with Dave, and send shitty songs to TAC and Evermind in their roulettes.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1017 on: March 14, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
I'm sorry you're taking it that way. I suggested starting a thread for the argument. I think it's a good one, worth having. I just think, for many of us, it's exhausting having it interjected when we are trying to discuss something else.

I understand, I truly do, that you fully believe that your position is the crux of what should be discussed. Cool. Start a thread for it. Please stop forcing it into other people's conversations.

The ONLY point I'm making is that sometimes there are other things we wish to discuss. It's not an echo chamber. It's a hope for a discussion. I want to be able to discuss things like Trump, or Fox, or whatever, without having Hillary, deplorable, Trump being a symptom, not unique, etc etc being the conclusion to everything.

For instance, many people here are devout Christians. Cool. What would happen if every single science thread ended with them saying that through God, all things are possible. Do they truly believe that? Of course. Is it true? Maybe. But it's not what people are trying to discuss, no matter how much others think it's the ultimate point. I just ask for the same level of respect here.

I am anti-capitalism (which I have made clear), yet I wouldn't go into every thread about capitalism or economy, or something that just sum it all up with repeating how anti-capitalist I am. I could make a thread about that if it were that important to me.

So please, truly and genuinely, make a thread about your point. It would be a great discussion to have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1018 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:14 PM »
Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress.

Donald Trump, November 20th 2014, following Obama's announcement of his immigration plan.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/535441553079431168

I look forward to VETOING the just passed Democrat inspired Resolution which would OPEN BORDERS while increasing Crime, Drugs, and Trafficking in our Country. I thank all of the Strong Republicans who voted to support Border Security and our desperately needed WALL!

Donald Trump, March 14th 2019, following his own Republican-majority Senate's rejection of his immigration plan. 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1106279613431508992

Anyway, he's going to veto the vote tomorrow apparently. His acting Chief of Staff suggested they're trying to set it up so that he does it on camera (but of course). Interesting what now lies ahead for the turncoats. Strung up with piano wire perhaps? Romney won't give a fuck what insults Trump throws at him, I don't get the impression he has an ounce of respect for the man or is remotely intimidated by his bullying. Rubio is fascinating though. I really didn't expect him to vote against Trump's wishes. Will we see the resurrection of the "Little Marco" nickname? We'll know at around 5:01 am tomorrow, when he starts tweeting.

But a note to Dem senators (one I've offered before) - for the love of God cool it on the 'threats' about what stuff you're going to veto when you're in power. You're writing his campaign slogans for him when you do this. Dems should stick to what Schumer has just done. Cast today as a rare occasion of Congress (for the most part) not being cowed by Trump's Twitter bullying and condescending instruction that they abandon their jobs as politicians and just vote as he tells them to, without any consideration of anything other than the one myopic and idiotically expressed ("Dems want Death, Drugs and Crime!") issue he boils it down to.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #1019 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:06 AM »
So please, truly and genuinely, make a thread about your point. It would be a great discussion to have.

I just did.
I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »

I just did.

Thank you!!!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1021 on: March 15, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
Many gems today but I'll share just two of them:

"The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1106526246144487424

I usually offer some wry commentary on his tweets but I honestly have nothing for this one beyond: this is not normal. It just isn't.

And secondly (after four, count 'em four, whiny tweets about 'Presidential Harrassment' which must "NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN" from the guy who once tweeted that "An extremely credible source has called my office and told me that @BarackObama's birth certificate is a fraud"):

"I’d like to thank all of the Great Republican Senators who bravely voted for Strong Border Security and the WALL. This will help stop Crime, Human Trafficking, and Drugs entering our Country. Watch, when you get back to your State, they will LOVE you more than ever before!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1106611696548884480

Being 'LOVED' is vitally important to Donald Trump. Being adored by the people is the litmus test of success.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:49:13 PM by Dave_Manchester »
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1022 on: March 15, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »

Being 'LOVED' is vitally important to Donald Trump. Being adored by the people is the litmus test of success.

That's what happens when your father sees you as nothing more than a bank account he can funnel money through. We see the same behavior in Trump's children, Don Jr. especially.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1023 on: March 16, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
"Spreading the fake and totally discredited Dossier “is unfortunately a very dark stain against John McCain.” Ken Starr, Former Independent Counsel. He had far worse “stains” than this, including thumbs down on repeal and replace after years of campaigning to repeal and replace!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107020360803909632

Just the American President spending his weekend tweeting about the "stains" of dead American veterans who had the impudence to vote against a bill that was nothing remotely like what he had been "campaigning" for.

Lying in other words, about a dead man. And smearing him while he's at it.

Not that it matters, this is just something Trump does.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:42:30 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1024 on: March 17, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »
Sunday, 07:15am: President Donald Trump questions whether satirical TV shows should be investigated for the crime of hurting his feelings:

"It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of “the other side.” Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows......

....Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News. Hard to believe I won and am winning. Approval Rating 52%, 93% with Republicans. Sorry!  #MAGA"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107250037854212096

Sunday, 07:45am: President Donald Trump calls for an impassioned stand against whiny snowflakes who want to dictate what should and shouldn't be on television:

"Bring back @JudgeJeanine Pirro. The Radical Left Democrats, working closely with their beloved partner, the Fake News Media, is using every trick in the book to SILENCE a majority of our Country. They have all out campaigns against @FoxNews hosts who are doing too well. Fox .....

....must stay strong and fight back with vigor. Stop working soooo hard on being politically correct, which will only bring you down, and continue to fight for our Country. The losers all want what you have, don’t give it to them. Be strong & prosper, be weak & die! Stay true....

....to the people that got you there. Keep fighting for Tucker, and fight hard for @JudgeJeanine. Your competitors are jealous - they all want what you’ve got - NUMBER ONE. Don’t hand it to them on a silver platter. They can’t beat you, you can only beat yourselves!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107269978678611969

(Irrelevant factual information: Jeanine Pirro was suspended by FOX themselves after an internal investigation determined her comments about Ilhan Omar to be inappropriate. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the "Radical Left Democrats" or "their beloved partner, the Fake News Media". But again, that fact is totally irrelevant because Trump's intended audience won't know this information and will believe what he wrote. Trump uses lies as a political tactic. It's no biggie, it's just something he does).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:35:17 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1025 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
And he's still going...

"Were @FoxNews weekend anchors, @ArthelNeville and @LelandVittert, trained by CNN prior to their ratings collapse? In any event, that’s where they should be working, along with their lowest rated anchor, Shepard Smith!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107345541724291072

When he starts lashing out at FOX hosts you know he is craving the return of his faithful lapdog Jeanine Pirro. Having to sit through shows that roughly follow an actual 'news' format (booooring!) is pissing him off, as is listening to that treacherous piece of shit Shephard Smith very occasionally criticise him. He needs to go. Bring back Jeanine and treat the people to more probing interview questions like "Mr President, all the experts are saying you've single-handedly saved our country from the crime-loving, Jew-hating, baby-murdering Democrats. Do you agree, sir?"

To recap by the way, the President has spent his Sunday trying to influence who a news network hires. No biggie, it's just something he does.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:32:30 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1026 on: March 18, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »
Geez at the last two posts (meaning Trump, not the posts themselves).

And the sad thing is: it's nothing new. Give or take the key details, the majority of politicians behave that way even in other countries.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1027 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
He wants so badly to be a dictator. Anyone who truly believes Trump loves America and what it's supposed to be as a country is a fool.

Please  ::)   

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:30:09 AM by Chino »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1028 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
So this may have been the first appearance of the mysterious 93% figure, 6 years ago: https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1107661523374227457

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1029 on: March 18, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
"Joe Biden got tongue tied over the weekend when he was unable to properly deliver a very simple line about his decision to run for President. Get used to it, another low I.Q. individual!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107631297076305920

A reminder:

"My people came to me, Dan Coats came to me and some others saying they think it's Russia. I have President Putin, he just said it’s not Russia. I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be Russia” - President Donald Trump, July 16th 2018, standing next to Vladimir Putin and publicly doubting his own US intelligence agencies.

"In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word "would" instead of "wouldn't". The sentence should have been: "I don’t see any reason why I wouldn't, or why it wouldn't be Russia", sort of a double negative" - President Donald Trump, July 17th 2018.

He has the highest IQ, believe him.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1030 on: March 18, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
My favorite is still: 

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1031 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
Yeah that's a classic. I'm also fond of this stream of consciousness from his Montana rally last year. If you're wondering why the hell he brought up Elton John during one of his long-winded whines about how he doesn't get enough appreciation (which is 98% of his rally speeches), join the enormous club.

"I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1032 on: March 18, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #1033 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Elton has a piano.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: March 18, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
While I agree that those three paragraphs are ridiculous on every level, I'm surprised no one called him a homophobe for talking about Elton's organ.

Literally the only story on CNN today is the weekend tweets and more specifically two points from that shitstorm:

- That nowhere in that flurry of nonsense did Trump properly condemn white supremacy; and
- That it is astounding that his closest advisors actually have to defend the President about being a white supremacist (the incredulity that it shouldn't ever even be an issue, which is exceedingly disingenuous, because the only reason they ARE defending him is because of the onslaught of the left, who seem to feel that there's a moral obligation to parrot their agenda).

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1035 on: March 18, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
Elton has a piano.
I doubt Trump knows the difference. I hadn't thought of it before, but Trump is one of those people who has no use whatsoever for music, outside of as a means to an end. He could pick a song that would sound neat when he takes the stage, but nothing ever composed would actually move the guy. To him enjoyment of music would be a complete waste of time. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1036 on: March 18, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »
It's really quite amazing how little news there seems to be these days that isn't related to Trump

Online Adami

« Reply #1037 on: March 18, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
While I agree that those three paragraphs are ridiculous on every level, I'm surprised no one called him a homophobe for talking about Elton's organ.

Literally the only story on CNN today is the weekend tweets and more specifically two points from that shitstorm:

- That nowhere in that flurry of nonsense did Trump properly condemn white supremacy; and
- That it is astounding that his closest advisors actually have to defend the President about being a white supremacist (the incredulity that it shouldn't ever even be an issue, which is exceedingly disingenuous, because the only reason they ARE defending him is because of the onslaught of the left, who seem to feel that there's a moral obligation to parrot their agenda).

Well it's not JUST that he's pretty silent on the issue, but he outright stated that it's not a big deal. You can't say white nationalism isn't a big deal, right after 50 people are killed, and expect everyone to be like "yea, he's right, let's move on."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »
Elton has a piano.
I doubt Trump knows the difference. I hadn't thought of it before, but Trump is one of those people who has no use whatsoever for music, outside of as a means to an end. He could pick a song that would sound neat when he takes the stage, but nothing ever composed would actually move the guy. To him enjoyment of music would be a complete waste of time.

Would you extend that to all (or most forms of) art?   I know people like that, and it's fascinating to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
Elton has a piano.

Would you extend that to all (or most forms of) art?   I know people like that, and it's fascinating to me.

If we're talking about Trump, I would.

Just look at the guy's NYC apartment.

I could be completely wrong in my assessment here, but that to me is not what someone who appreciates art would make their apartment look like. I mean, I suppose Trump could find beauty in that room in a way, but only because of what it says about him, not the craft and talent that went into its creation. It's like he looked at every available square inch of space in that room and said to the designer "put the most expensive thing you can find anywhere it fits". My guess is that the only thing Trump knows about those chairs, paintings, and chandeliers is how much they're worth. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:41:24 PM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1040 on: March 18, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
Has he ever made any references to enjoying any type of art (and not say in a business matter like selling art or you know, faking auctions on art).  I'm not sure I can think of one off my head and never thought about it, but I can see him being someone who just can't relate to art of any form.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1041 on: March 18, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
Elton has a piano.

Yeah, very likely. As Chino just said, his appreciation of art is simply in how it reflects on him. My hunch is that he won't make time to do anything that isn't self-promoting. I'd be curious if he's seen a movie, read a fictional book, or listened to an album in the last 30 years. Frankly, he seems quite joyless. Moreover, I suspect his favorite interests involve people who are nice to him, which therefore make them temporary. Favorite musician? Kanye. Favorite sports team? Patriots. Favorite painter? The guy who did the ex-presidents playing poker.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1042 on: March 18, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
Elton has a piano.

Art is generally a civilising influence, and people with an appreciation of it tend to be empathetic and self-aware. Trump doesn't strike me as a civilised person. He doesn't seem to be concerned by or for other human beings. Is such a person likely to spend his time contemplating the lessons of King Lear (he of all people should) or appreciating the messages of Michelangelo's Pieta? I'm doubtful. Art is the way we use to make connections between people and to learn from each other's experiences and perceptions. I don't think that's a concern of Donald Trump.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1043 on: March 18, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
So, I thought I'd look around and see if Trump gave any interviews in the past where he might have talked about this sort of thing.

From The Art of the Deal:
"Even in elementary school, I was a very assertive, aggressive kid. In the second grade I actually gave a teacher a black eye - I punched my music teacher because I didn't think he knew anything about music and I almost got expelled. I'm not proud of that, but it's clear evidence that even early on I had a tendency to stand up and make my opinions known in a very forceful way."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/e5e4572a-0676-4120-9eb3-d34bbea34836
Looks like he's got some beef with Paul McCartney

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »

Well it's not JUST that he's pretty silent on the issue, but he outright stated that it's not a big deal. You can't say white nationalism isn't a big deal, right after 50 people are killed, and expect everyone to be like "yea, he's right, let's move on."

Well, he was asked if he saw white nationalism as a rising threat.  And he answered:  "I guess if you look at what happened in New Zealand, perhaps that’s the case. I don’t know enough about it yet. They’re just learning about the person and the people involved. But it’s certainly a terrible thing.”    That's not saying outright that it's not a big deal.

And if you're wondering, yeah, I only took half the quote, because according to CNN, that's what you do.  They very clearly and very specifically only took the first line - "I don’t really. I think it’s a small group of people that have very, very serious problems." - and ran with it, without including the second half.   In fact, CNN went so far as to claim that Trump never even bothered to comment on it (the discussion was specifically about the twitter tirade of the weekend, but the statement was not limited to that).   

I get it, we (well, some of us) want him to be equivocally on our side.  "This is deplorable and I condemn that behavior!".   But that's not going to happen, and I'm not sure what at this point we expected to be different.    Ironic that we're condemning the supposedly "intolerant" President for his relative tolerance, but so goes the identity politics game. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: March 18, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »
Elton has a piano.

Art is generally a civilising influence, and people with an appreciation of it tend to be empathetic and self-aware. Trump doesn't strike me as a civilised person. He doesn't seem to be concerned by or for other human beings. Is such a person likely to spend his time contemplating the lessons of King Lear (he of all people should) or appreciating the messages of Michelangelo's Pieta? I'm doubtful. Art is the way we use to make connections between people and to learn from each other's experiences and perceptions. I don't think that's a concern of Donald Trump.

I thought about this too.  To a large degree, art appreciation takes a level of honest self-reflection, a trait that I know I've not personally seen a lot of evidence for in President Trump.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1046 on: March 18, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »
Elton has a piano.

I thought about this too.  To a large degree, art appreciation takes a level of honest self-reflection, a trait that I know I've not personally seen a lot of evidence for in President Trump.

I might be really overthinking this one here, but he's the first president I can remember that didn't want to have a White House dog. He's not allergic, so to me that's a red flag.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1047 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
So, I thought I'd look around and see if Trump gave any interviews in the past where he might have talked about this sort of thing.

"Even in elementary school, I was a very assertive, aggressive kid. In the second grade I actually gave a teacher a black eye - I punched my music teacher because I didn't think he knew anything about music and I almost got expelled. I'm not proud of that, but it's clear evidence that even early on I had a tendency to stand up and make my opinions known in a very forceful way."

This touches on another reason why I doubt Trump has any interest in art - he already thinks he knows everything there is to know about every subject. Art is for curious people who want to learn about the world and its people. Trump, being the greatest genius to have ever lived, has no use for the observations of history's greatest artists, because all of them were losers compared to him. In that music teacher quote above, we see already his view of himself: nobody in this world or its entire history has anything to teach him. And rather than demonstrate his own intelligence or talent (which Trump cannot do) it's easier for him to just demean everyone else.   

The thing is, when you live entirely inside the tiny, vacuous mind of Donald Trump, as he does, it is easy to see why he considers himself to be the greatest genius who ever lived. He is simply not aware of any reality beyond himself. I've mentioned this before, when he gave his bizarre 'lecture' on Soviet history, and he honestly believed he was teaching people things instead of being laughed at by anyone with a 6th-grade education - he does not know that he does not know things (the Socratic principle, "wisest is he who knows he does not know"). Which is bad. What's worse: he does not know that other people do.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1048 on: March 18, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/e5e4572a-0676-4120-9eb3-d34bbea34836
Looks like he's got some beef with Paul McCartney
All of those examples are from his books where he's using musicians to point back at himself. And something he said about McCartney is one of the most telling things I've heard from the guy:

Then his wife Linda died of breast cancer, and he married Heather Mills. Who ever heard of Heather Mills?

God damn, if that doesn't tell you everything there is to know about Trump.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: March 18, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
Yup.