Author Topic: I have to put my cat to sleep.  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I have to put my cat to sleep.
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Technically he's my mom's cat, but I've been taking care of both of her cats for 6 years so they're like my pets now. His name is Bubba, he's 12 and he was big and black. If any of you have seen pictures of Nick's cat with the red collar, that's Bubba. Even the same color collar. 4 months ago we finally moved out of Phoenix to Maricopa, and that's when his weight loss started. I thought the diet we put him on was finally working but he kept getting skinnier. Except for his stomach which is huge. I can add another regret to my mile long list for not taking him to the vet sooner, but we didn't and still don't have the money. I paid for his x-rays though. I'll be further behind on bills, but I needed to know what was wrong with him. Bubba has a cancerous mass in his abdomen that ruptured and is leaking fluid. That's why his stomach is so big. He is very obviously uncomfortable, but he isn't really showing signs of pain. I asked the vet if she was able to give a rough estimate on how long she thinks he has left and she said she'd be surprised if he lasted a month. I wasn't approved for Care Credit but my grandmother already has a card with them, so tomorrow I'm going to end his suffering.

I knew this time would eventual come but it's not until it arrives that it really affects you. I plan on being in the room tomorrow, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to keep it together. This isn't fair. He doesn't deserve this. He was the nicest "chilliest" cat you could ever meet. He was always the first to make friends with the kittens, and would just let them jump all over him. Just a month ago he was wrestling with our newest, and now he wants nothing to do with her. I have 5 cats and I know I'm going to have to do this 4 more times. Its not going to get easier. The cats aren't just pets to me. They're family. My dogs were just as special, but they went with my mom to Arizona in 2004 and I only got to see them for a short time during Christmas break as I wouldn't move to AZ until 2008, and by that point they were already gone.

I just wanted to share this with the forum. My 10 years here have been pretty douchey for the most part, and for that I'm sorry. It took me a long time to e-mature. Take your animals to the vet regularly. This probably could have been prevented.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: I have to put my cat to sleep.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Damn man  :sadpanda:. Really sorry to hear that. I love the hell out of my dog and cat and dread this day so much. *Internet hugs*

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Very sorry to hear. Our pets are just as much our babies as any human, and to lose any is an enormous loss. You are being merciful, as difficult as it may be, and I'm of the hope that our pets know everything we do is out of love.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
My sympathies, man.  It sounds like you are doing the right thing, as hard as it is.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
I had a cat from my earliest memory (the family got it when I was about 1 and a half) and we put her to sleep just as I turned 21 and was up in college.  I couldn't force myself to go and my mom and dad did it.  She was just suffering too much, but wouldn't give up, that old beast.  She was amazing.  I remember one time she got locked in a garage with a German shepherd, and when the owner (my nextdoor neighbor) came home and opened the garage door, my cat came trotting out like she was going to lay on a warm rock somewhere, but her paws were all flecked with red.  The dog was curled up in a corner in a puddle.  He healed fine, but he was pretty banged up.  In the moment that cat got the better of that dog for real. 

Longwinded way of saying I feel your distress and I hope for the best for you and your family.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
So sorry, Zook.  Several years ago we had to put down our dog, who also developed cancer.  My wife and I were in the room with him when the procedure was done.  It was one of the most awful experiences of our lives.  We are just now "recovered" enough to start thinking about getting another dog.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
I'm so sorry Zook.

I truly understand.  My wife and I tried to have children for many year and we couldn't.  Our cats are our children and when we had to put down Ricki it was heartbreaking.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Very sorry to hear this Zook....putting a loved pet down is very hard to do, but when you know it's time it is absolutely the 'right' thing to do. It's just hard.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
Damn, sorry man.  That must be so tough.  I fear the day I have to do that to my cat.  I had to put down my other cat and that was hard enough even though I had only had him for a couple months and didn't have that 20 year bond.   :(

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
I'm really sorry Zook. Our pets are family to my gf and I and I can't imagine the pain of losing either one of them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that Zook.   It's been a few years now but the only time in my adult life where I have been a blubbering mess is while giving my golden retriever a hug and holding her paw while she was put to sleep.   It made it even worse that she was on dialysis and looked happy and in great spirits - that was the only thing keeping her going though.

You have my empathy.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
I'm not looking forward to having to do this for my two - I know it's going to break my heart. I am so very sorry for your loss. They really put their paw prints on our hearts. :'(

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. We have a plethora of pets, but we have a 15 year old cat that I share a very special bromance with. His name is George and he's a Turkish Van. He's also my best friend. When he goes I will lose my shit. I hope you find peace and comfort through this somehow.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
I'm so sorry. Saying goodbye to your pets is never easy. They become an extremely important part of your family and nothing will really fill that void. Just take solace in the fact that your furry companion lived a good life where it was loved and taken care of.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
Rest in Peace, Bubba.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
I've had to put two down in the past two years.  My sympathies, man.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »
"It's not about the length of Life.  It's the quality of Life.  It's the most difficult decision you'll ever make as a Pet Guardian and those who wait too long always regret it."

https://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

You're doing the right thing.  Always remember that and trust your decision.

Also, I highly recommend you have a private cremation and GET THE ASHES and also a paw print on clay.  They'll do it all for you.  I've kept my pets around after and once you feel like you can finally let them go you have the option to sprinkle the ashes somewhere or bury the urn.  I regret not doing this with some of my childhood cats but I don't even think these options were around in the 80s/90s, they certainly would not have been cheap or common-knowledge as I don't remember the vet every offering these options to my parents.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:55 AM »
My girlfriend has a really nice box with the cats name (bubba was his name as well) as well as a paw print that she keeps on the dresser with a picture of him. It's a really nice way to remember him.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
Only 11 months later and I'm going to have to make this decision again. Bubba's brother, Boo has been sick for about a month now. I got blood work done and they found that his red blood cells were very low and his white cells high. This can be caused by a parasite, so we got him meds. A pill to kill the parasite and some steroids to give him an appetite. Well now he won't eat or drink. The syrup isn't working anymore. He's lost a lot of weight, and just hides behind the toilet. I wish I could do more for him, but I can't afford it. I can't even afford euthanasia and cremation. The bill isn't super expensive but $230 is still a lot when I'm behind on so many bills. I don't know what to do. If it hasn't already, his liver will soon fail from not eating. My credit sucks so I can't even qualify for care credit. This fucking sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 05:35:15 AM »
Damn Steve... so sorry to hear you have to go thru this again.   :sadpanda:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Only 11 months later and I'm going to have to make this decision again. Bubba's brother, Boo has been sick for about a month now. I got blood work done and they found that his red blood cells were very low and his white cells high. This can be caused by a parasite, so we got him meds. A pill to kill the parasite and some steroids to give him an appetite. Well now he won't eat or drink. The syrup isn't working anymore. He's lost a lot of weight, and just hides behind the toilet. I wish I could do more for him, but I can't afford it. I can't even afford euthanasia and cremation. The bill isn't super expensive but $230 is still a lot when I'm behind on so many bills. I don't know what to do. If it hasn't already, his liver will soon fail from not eating. My credit sucks so I can't even qualify for care credit. This fucking sucks.
That really sucks.

Check with the local humane society or animal shelters. Seems that shelters will usually euthanize a pet for far less than a vet will for people who couldn't otherwise afford it. At least you'd have one option, shitty though it may be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
I waited too long.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
Damn Steve. Sorry to hear that  :'(

I know it kind of sounds like begging, but I would suggest creating a Go Fund Me and posting a pic of Boo to r/aww on Reddit with that story. I'd contribute.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »
Before Bubba died I created a fundraiser and had everything ready to go, but I never published it. As desperate as I was I didn't feel I deserved it. I'm no one special. I was very close to asking DTF for help, but I just couldn't bring myself to ask. I am very grateful for your words. Boo deserved better and I denied him a peaceful death. I just wanted my brother to say goodbye, but he lives far away, and although he was off yesterday, things just didn't work out. I tried giving Boo food and water last night but he refused. I caressed his head and told him I love him.

Rest in Peace, Boo. Soon you'll be reunited with your brother. I'm sorry.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
Brohug man.  I just went through that loss recently with our family cat - 19.5 years.  Sorry it couldn't have happened the way you would have liked.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
It's heartbreaking man.  I'm so sorry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
Bro hug, Zook.
Sorry to hear. Its a horrible thing to have to do. I put down my 20 year old cat last year and it was brutal.
Hang in there
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
That's tough mate.  Putting down an animal is so hard.  People that haven't had to do it don't really know how tough and awful it is.

You are doing the right thing man.  Don't think too much and regret stuff mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.