Author Topic: The "Avatar: The Last Airbender" Thread (including Korra, etc.)  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
The "Avatar: The Last Airbender" Thread (including Korra, etc.)
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:06:45 AM »
So my question in Serrah's thread got me wanting to start a thread about this amazing show. Have at it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: The "Avatar: The Last Airbender" Thread (including Korra, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
This is my all time favorite animated series. The entire story arc from the pilot to finale is just so good and the filler episodes are for the most part fun and enjoyable. You have one of the best developed characters of all time in Zuko, a great hero in Aang, and the perfect sidekicks in Katara, Sokka, and Toph. The way every character both hero and villian interest with each other makes for a large yet connected world. It's amazing how well written a kid's show can be. And what a great show for girls with strong female characters in Katara, Toph, Suki, Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee. All of them have distinct personalities and are proud of who they are, teaching girls that you can be who you want and be happy with your true self. I truly love everything about this show.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
Hey, here is a thread for both shows (which was kinda buried): https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34049.0

Also, both shows are fantastic, and are some of the best TV I've watched.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
Sorry. I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
I need to rewatch that show, it was so good.

I once did the mistake of trying to watch the Shamalamadingdong adaptation of it. Lord have mercy, that was bad.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
Everything about the movie was awful. I was blown away that the show creators were actually a part of it and still allowed him to change what he did. I remember watching some behind the scenes with him on Nickelodeon and he went on and on about all his changes. He said he changed the name pronunciations ('ahng' and 'sohka') because "he's Asian and they are Asian names so they have to be accurate." And he thought it unfair that all benders but fire had to have the element present to bend but fire benders could just conjure fire, so he made them have to light fires to bend it. I just don't get why he had to fuck with such a complete mythology.

Also, he basically bragged his face off that the actor he got to play Aang was literally a no-name who submitted a YouTube video.

Anyway, any particular favorite episodes?
I've always loved Sokka's Master and Bitter Work (where Sokka gets himself buried in the ground and Aang finally gets a hang on Earthbending from Toph).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »
"Looks like its boiled in oil."

" Gee, I would. But I'm supposed to be boiled in oil."
"Their, community service."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
Zuko's character arc is one of my all time favorites of any TV show period. Always thought this series was fantastic, and this thread just makes me wanna rewatch it again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Absolutely love the show. Korra was good too, but not on TLA's level.

The movie is such a massive disappointment that it was embarrassing, and I was so damn excited for it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
I watched TLA for the first time a year ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
I found Korra to be entertaining but a little thinner than the original; it lacked the same staying power. However I think the character development was still top notch.

I did really enjoy the spirit portal portion where we saw the history of the Avatar. I just felt overall that TLA was just a more robust story.

Also, I found it quite amusing when the creators seemed to shout out to different movies in their scenes. For example, the end of the entire series, Zuko's coronation, is to me wildly reminiscent of Aragorn's coronation in RotK. And Zuko trying to instigate lightning to strike him is like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump. Just some cool subtleties.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:54:57 AM »
Amazing show. One of my favorite animated things I've ever seen. I used to rewatch it yearly, but it's been a couple years now.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
My favorite episodes (besides the finale of course) are The Storm, Tales From Ba Sing Sei, The Puppetmaster, The Avatar and the Firelord, and The Firebending Masters.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
The Tale of Iroh :sadpanda:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
Iroh and Bumi are my favorite characters. Zuko might have the most impressive character arc, but I love Iroh's wisdom and power; power he only uses when it is needed. He is strength, zen, and control personified, with no small bit of charm and humor.

Bumi is just a mad genius. :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
So many brilliant episodes. I can't really choose any right now, I'll think about it.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
I do remember there being a ton of good episodes in book 2 but I also remember seeing so many of the ba sing se episodes in reruns that I got sick of book 2. I think my favorite book is 3 but it varies.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
I like the episode where Katara unintentionally learns blood-bending. The intensity and emotion is some sinister stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD