Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214233 times)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1750 on: July 11, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
I think when Mike says something like...
"You couldn't have shown up wearing a shirt form 1985 - 2010?"
He fails to understand new fans come in to the fold all the time. A 20 year old who became a fan in 2011 isn't wearing a ADTOE t-shirt to piss Mike off or insult him. He or she is simply a fan of DT and Mike and is excited to be at a show.
Does Mike not get that not all fans have been on board since 1992? I didn't discover DT till 2005 and I was 39 at the time.

But you can't simply control your feelings just like that, can you?.. And this is why I personally get why he felt that way (if this is true anyways); in the moment, I think most people wouldn't think "oh, look at him, a new DT fan who doesn't know I'm not in that album in his shirt, what a coincidence".. It might have been on purpose or not, we don't know that, but, again, it doesn't matter regarding this point in particular..

Another thing yet, is to go write this circumstance in your social media and describe it as being malicious and not just a coincidence or whatever.. In the moment is understandable, but once you have the time to thought about it and you come up with this idea of make it public, that's where the problem is, IMO..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1751 on: July 11, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
Personally, I think there are people out there that would do that just to piss him off.  I have no idea what the intention was, but I can see how it would irk MP.  However, I don't agree with him lashing out publicly about it.  If that person did intentionally do that, it only increases the chance of more people doing it because they then know it pisses him off.  Also, you do need to leave room for the idea that the person was completely innocent in wearing that shirt.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1752 on: July 11, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
Personally, I think there are people out there that would do that just to piss him off.  I have no idea what the intention was, but I can see how it would irk MP.  However, I don't agree with him lashing out publicly about it.  If that person did intentionally do that, it only increases the chance of more people doing it because they then know it pisses him off.  Also, you do need to leave room for the idea that the person was completely innocent in wearing that shirt.

Obviously, people are going to be jerks and wear a post-MP Dream Theater shirt to meet MP just to fire him up. Because MP has shown a history of flying off the handle online, so they are looking to get a rise. It's a jerk move, but it is what it is.

However, as you point out, you also need to account for those people that are wearing whatever DT shirt they own, not to piss him off, but to pay homage to his time in the band. I mean, if I knew I was going to meet MP, I probably would wear my 1997 tour shirt from DT. I happen to also have ADToE shirt, and I wouldn't wear that. However, if the latter was my only DT shirt, and I didn't know any of the drama, just loved the band's music, I totally would wear it, as a sign of respect toward MP (again, if I didn't know the drama behind it all).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1753 on: July 11, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »

Anyway, Stadler, as we can't agree in the least on what we have said and the way we have said it, let's agree that, in the grand scheme of things, all of this is not that important. And sorry if I have come up as a douche, which I am not : my having just lost my father may have induced me to say things I don't normally say for such insignificance.

Peace

B.Lee

Conversation done.   You have both my apologies and my deepest sympathies.   Nothing I have to say on this matter is anywhere near as important as the real world.   

No hard feelings and I sincerely hope you're making it through okay.

Peace.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

Obviously, people are going to be jerks and wear a post-MP Dream Theater shirt to meet MP just to fire him up. Because MP has shown a history of flying off the handle online, so they are looking to get a rise. It's a jerk move, but it is what it is.

However, as you point out, you also need to account for those people that are wearing whatever DT shirt they own, not to piss him off, but to pay homage to his time in the band. I mean, if I knew I was going to meet MP, I probably would wear my 1997 tour shirt from DT. I happen to also have ADToE shirt, and I wouldn't wear that. However, if the latter was my only DT shirt, and I didn't know any of the drama, just loved the band's music, I totally would wear it, as a sign of respect toward MP (again, if I didn't know the drama behind it all).

Go back a few pages and see what I wrote to Bosk.  There is another site out there - I'm sure some of you are familiar with it - that was SO brutal to Mike in the wake of the separation as to be unfathomable.    They were cavalierly and with malice making anti-Semitic comments, homophobic comments... one poster even made a practice of regularly implying he was an incestuous pedophile.  In the face of that, wearing a t-shirt to piss him off is not only reasonable, it's likely.   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1755 on: July 11, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Why does one have to be related? Those idiots on that other website don't represent other people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1756 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
I was tempted to wear a Division Bell shirt to see Roger Waters a few weeks ago...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1757 on: July 11, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
Why does one have to be related? Those idiots on that other website don't represent other people.

Yeah, I'm more or less on your side with this Stadler but I don't really think shit-talkers on REDACTED map to real life. I could be wrong, of course, but I think there's a big difference (and effort-gap) between posting nasty stuff online and actually taking the time to troll the guy in person. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1758 on: July 11, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
Jeez, I am away from the forum for a while and everything goes to shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1759 on: July 11, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »

It was all a cry for help!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1760 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »

I should make a new meme of the picture you know of.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1761 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »

Anyway, Stadler, as we can't agree in the least on what we have said and the way we have said it, let's agree that, in the grand scheme of things, all of this is not that important. And sorry if I have come up as a douche, which I am not : my having just lost my father may have induced me to say things I don't normally say for such insignificance.

Dang, I am sorry to hear about your loss.  My condolences. :(

now every time MP posts anything or is interviewed and says something about DT, everybody's going to read anything/everything into it. Even some times when a new video interview or article is published that is pretty even keeled, some who are critics will acknowledge it's a decent interview, but there are plenty of others who still doubt what he's saying or try to read between the lines. That doesn't happen with any of his former band mates.

Maybe because they weren't in the band for the years Mike has, neither have publicly attack the other band members, even when still in the band?.. Those are kinda some of the reasons why his comments/sayings get so popular.. And, even when I myself don't follow him on social media and wouldn't post here a negative comment that he has made... let's be honest here; the first guy that makes Mike Portnoy look bad is Mike Portnoy himself.. Can't see it other way around, and we don't need any context to know what he has been saying publicly all these years..

Exactly.  He doesn't get criticized more because people all of a sudden decided it would be fun or cool to pick on poor Mike Portnoy; he brings it all on himself, which is clear to most here at this point.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1762 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
  And sorry if I have come up as a douche, which I am not : my having just lost my father may have induced me to say things I don't normally say for such insignificance.

Dang, I am sorry to hear about your loss.  My condolences. :(

Yeah same here. I guess I skimmed right past that part of the post. My eyes have been glazing over lately in this thread.

I can vouch that B. Lee is most definitely NOT a douche.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1763 on: July 11, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
Agreed.  Nothing B Lee said struck me as douchey at all.

And I very much agree about the thread.  At this point, it's like a blur of posts, with Stadler's "I am going down with the ship" posts intertwined with nearly everyone else making sense.  :lol :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1764 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
Agreed.  Nothing B Lee said struck me as douchey at all.

And I very much agree about the thread.  At this point, it's like a blur of posts, with Stadler's "I am going down with the ship" posts intertwined with nearly everyone else making sense.  :lol :lol

Going down with the ship?  At this point I think he is hanging out just a stone's throw from the Titanic. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1765 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:23 AM »
Thanks guys for your kind words! I really appreciate it! Stadler, hatchet buried, if it ever was out.
Today is the burial. Peace to all, guys.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1766 on: July 12, 2017, 02:50:52 AM »
Jesus, is this thread still going?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1767 on: July 12, 2017, 03:22:08 AM »
I was tempted to wear a Division Bell shirt to see Roger Waters a few weeks ago...
:lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1768 on: July 12, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »

:lol So true.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1769 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »
I was going to wear an Invisible Touch shirt to a Peter Gabriel signing.

Sorry I just repeated the previous joke. Although I don't think they would cafe because Gabriel and Waters wanted to leave those bands.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: July 12, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
Gabriel wouldn't at all, but I think Roger would say something.

And for all those that think the thread is dying, well, I'm sorry for that.  I'm entitled to my opinion - it is subjective after all - and at least I'm not a sheep going along with the flow.   I do think some of the comments are uncalled for, but so be it.  You are also the same people that don't think what LaBrie said was bad either, so it makes a sort of sense.   On the bright side, I'm not tweeting about you guys in return, so there's that! 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1771 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
Its that JLB only said that after a former member bashed him. JLB showed more class with his ONE post.

I'm not saying either person is wrong/right in what they said and how they wrote what they wrote.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1772 on: July 12, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
I think when Mike says something like...
"You couldn't have shown up wearing a shirt form 1985 - 2010?"
He fails to understand new fans come in to the fold all the time. A 20 year old who became a fan in 2011 isn't wearing a ADTOE t-shirt to piss Mike off or insult him. He or she is simply a fan of DT and Mike and is excited to be at a show.
Does Mike not get that not all fans have been on board since 1992? I didn't discover DT till 2005 and I was 39 at the time.

I don't think there were DT shirts back in 1985, wasn't the 1st album out in 1989?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: July 12, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
Regarding the t-shirts, here's a fun fact: I attended the show in Moscow yesterday, and there were DT AFTR tour shirts (with DT12 album cover on the front) at the merch stand. :biggrin: I probably should've taken a picture just for this thread.

The show rocked, though. The combination of TGP + TDS is a bit exhausting (it doesn't help that I'm not too fond of both these songs), but other than that, I liked it a lot. I was very impressed with both Ross' and Eric's singing. Ross did sound a bit awkward sometimes (mostly on The Mirror and Home), but other than that I thought he was spot on.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1774 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
Its that JLB only said that after a former member bashed him. JLB showed more class with his ONE post.

I'm not saying either person is wrong/right in what they said and how they wrote what they wrote.

What one post? I looked through the thread but there is so much going on I must have missed it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1775 on: July 12, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »

What one post? I looked through the thread but there is so much going on I must have missed it?

Or I should say the one interview (that I've seen).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1776 on: July 12, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Jesus, is this thread still going?

Yes, it is eternal, like me.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1777 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
Seems like James has no hard feelings to me.

K: OK, so yeah, most of that was written before you were in the band

J: Of course they wrote vocal lines, melody lines before you were… I mean, the only thing I altered was I made some suggestions melodically here and there you know, “This would be better sung like this”, “This would be better sung like that”, “That’s more you know, meoldic to me, what do you think?” and they were completely open. They were all about just, you know, “Yeah, let’s make it the best it can be, right?” I mean, that’s that’s what any album’s about, it’s not about “Hey what  about me? Don’t I get a say?” Ultimately, it has to come down to what are you trying to achieve? You’re trying to achieve the best, so put your freaking egos aside, you know, be a rational professional and approach it you know, properly, so that you get the best results and so that’s what it was with that too. But it was just, you know, I gotta tell you, Kim, it was just a great time because we were all thrilled, we were all excited, we were all extremely young, um, and freaking full of vigor and you know, enthusiasm, and fucking zest, and we were there all bout… you know, we were great friends you know, and we were comrades, and you know I think back to those moments, and Mike and I you know, were the best of friends, we hung out, shot the shit, laughed, had some drinks together but you know, I mean it was it was a really good moment in time. It really was.

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2017/03/07/interview-with-james-labrie-by-dt-world/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: July 12, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

J: Of course they wrote vocal lines, melody lines before you were… I mean, the only thing I altered was I made some suggestions melodically here and there you know, “This would be better sung like this”, “This would be better sung like that”, “That’s more you know, meoldic to me, what do you think?” and they were completely open. They were all about just, you know, “Yeah, let’s make it the best it can be, right?” I mean, that’s that’s what any album’s about, it’s not about “Hey what  about me? Don’t I get a say?” Ultimately, it has to come down to what are you trying to achieve? You’re trying to achieve the best, so put your freaking egos aside, you know, be a rational professional and approach it you know, properly, so that you get the best results and so that’s what it was with that too. But it was just, you know, I gotta tell you, Kim, it was just a great time because we were all thrilled, we were all excited, we were all extremely young, um, and freaking full of vigor and you know, enthusiasm, and fucking zest, and we were there all bout… you know, we were great friends you know, and we were comrades, and you know I think back to those moments, and Mike and I you know, were the best of friends, we hung out, shot the shit, laughed, had some drinks together but you know, I mean it was it was a really good moment in time. It really was.

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2017/03/07/interview-with-james-labrie-by-dt-world/

What album were they talking about? 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1779 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
Gotta be FII or earlier if James and Mike were going out for drinks.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1780 on: July 12, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
Gotta be FII or earlier if James and Mike were going out for drinks.

Images

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1781 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
Stadler, can you decipher this one for me please?

PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS

'Cause to me, it looks like he's suggesting the other guys are too dumb to realize the symbol they've been using for 30 years is different.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:14:01 AM by Zook »

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1782 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
 :justjen
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1783 on: July 12, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

James has actually said a lot of positive things about Mike since the split.  I don't think Mike has said one positive thing about James since then. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1784 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
Stadler, can you decipher this one for me please?

'Cause to me, it looks like he's suggesting the other guys are too dumb to realize the symbol they've been using for 30 years is different.
Holy crap, you didn't mention he randomly posted this on Charlie's facebook page. 

I was just checking out Charlie's FB and scrolling through the comments.   Charlie admitted he was in a bad financial state. That sucks.  I always liked his contribution to Dream Theater and his solo band stuff. 

Anyway, there was the unsolicited Portnoy comment.  What a bizarre thing to post.