Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214220 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1715 on: July 11, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
Wow, that MP response should (well it already should have) shut the book on any discussion about MP being passive aggressive (or just flat out aggressive) on social media.  That's nuts for him to make that comment about the beer tasting and calling out his high school.  That's stalker level type of response and something I would expect from a unemployed troll living in the basement of their parent's house.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1716 on: July 11, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Now I imagine Portnoy stalking my FB profile if I say something that pisses him off  :biggrin:

(Though I would never troll him or anyone else just for the sake of it, when it comes to famous people I only post positive or neutral stuff, I don't think he ever replied to me but at times he liked a comment or two)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: July 11, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
(Though I would never troll him or anyone else just for the sake of it, when it comes to famous people I only post positive or neutral stuff, I don't think he ever replied to me but at times he liked a comment or two)

This is how I approach social media as well. You have to understand that what you put out there will be seen by many and it will always be there (sure you can delete posts, but you can't delete the memories created by the people who saw it, or manage to screenshot it before the delete).  It only makes you look bad if you are going to be negative (look at Trump's twitter).  Just be positive and people aren't going to have bait to attack you with.  Be the bigger person, especially if you are someone in the spotlight like MP. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1718 on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Imagine if Portnoy was more well known. He'd be on TMZ and in tabloids all the time!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1719 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
If bosk1 could trade DT-MP wife/baby metaphors for a dollar each, he could probably retire early and indefinitely pay for upkeep of the site at this point :lol

Don't let a lack of replies give you the wrong idea, this was definitely appreciated, by me at least. :lol

Also, I don't really have an issue at all with Mike dunking on some jerk online.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1720 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
Q: Are you sad, James? I mean, this is a huge shift in the world of DREAM THEATER and progressive rock. It's a fucking earthquake.

LaBrie: "You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

I'll tell you that that is a big part of anything I would cite.   Mike "tells it like it is" and he's a passive aggressive dickhead, and no context matter, but James "tells it like it is" and it's just him being honest.

The fact is, they DIDN'T "do everything", and while you can say "The Astonishing" is "uncharted waters", there's a lot of things that isn't at another level.   

And short of one Christmas release, they didn't do ANY of the things that Mike did.

I'm sorry, Stadler, but I'm beginning to wonder who you really are.  I'm really suspecting you of being close to MP to take up arms the way you do. If you're just a fan, well, let me remind you one thing : MP doesn't care what you say or do to defend him. It would save you a lot of trouble to let it go sometimes.

And I'm still waiting, like others, for your exact JLB quotes.
B.Lee

Ok, that's kind of out of line.  Who cares who I am?  I'm not allowed to have my take on this?  It's not a contest, I don't actually give two fucks what people think of me - short of my family and my close friends - so what does it matter to you?

I've never met the man, I have no dog in this hunt, other than an abiding sense of fair play and a finely tuned nose for bullshit, and some of this is over the top.  (There is a fair amount of truth to Setlist Scotty's signature).   To some degree - for example, in some of the P/R threads - I feel like I know how he feels at times when people think they can tell him what's best for him and his life and his career.    Is Mike perfect?  Of course not.   Are there times he should just put the phone down and let it go?  Of course.   But who cares if he goes off on that guy for giving him unwanted and out-of-bounds life advice (not, I might add, dissimilar to some of the people here)?   If you want to conduct your social media campaign in a certain manner, feel free to do so; I notice Mike isn't telling anyone else how to conduct their lives.   Let Mike run his in his own way, assuming he's willing to assume the consequences.   He's played in countless bands, released more records than any modern rock musician I can name off the top of my head, and some douche posting on Twitter from his moms basement in between games of Call of Duty is going to tell him what's best?    Mofo, please. 

None of this means squat in the grand scheme of things - it's an OPINION.   I choose to see a bigger picture and have an open mind on what Mike says.  You don't.   So be it.  Tomayto, tomahto. 

And I've already said that much of what I would have posted was in Bill1971's post.  If you'd like me to duplicate all that and repost it, I'd be more than willing to.   I feel like it wouldn't change one mind here.   You've already made it clear that "context" is not important in the least.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1721 on: July 11, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
You know, that second part is pretty sensible indeed. If he had really though that, there would have been no need for that first post. That's some double standards right there.

In the first post, he asked for the same sensitivity and understanding that he was offering to put forward in the second post.  It's not as if DT/Portnoy are Van Halen and Roth, or U2 or Bruce Springsteen; it's a tight knit group.  A fan who's not trying to be a dick would know better.  I don't think it was too much to ask.

Since you're replying directly to me, I'll do the same. Sorry that this post is already 3 pages down, stuff moves quickly in this thread :lol

The point I was merely trying to make was that Mike Portnoy shouldn't have to care what the hell his fans are wearing to whatever signing session he is doing. Why should he give a shit whether this person is wearing a DT shirt, a mangini era DT-shirt, a shirt that has some vulgar language, or no shirt it all? It has nothing to do with the event. By showing up, that fan shows that he has interest in Mike Portnoy, him wearing an ADTOE-shirt has nothing to do with that. Singling that fan out and ranting about it over the internet accomplishes absolutely nothing besides showing the world that you're incapable of letting go. Responding to the imminent backlash (which MP should know he can get, he's pretty much a public figure after all) with a 'I'm into peace, love and understanding' seems hypocritical at best. 'Live and let live' also means that his fans can wear whatever the fuck they want without MP having to get upset about the fact that it contains an image of a DT album he wasn't part of.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1722 on: July 11, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
Any old 'mean' quotes from James pale in comparison to the sheer amount of public/social media posts MP made after the split....especially directly after the split.....AND near every JLB quote that could be deemed 'mean' was in direct response to something MP said/posted, they weren't preemptive 

There's simply no way that one can make any argument placing any of the DT/MP drama blame on anyone other than MP.

You have to admire the persistence of Stadler to argue otherwise, though. :lol :lol

Meanwhile, in social media land...

I seriously have to wonder if his twitter was hacked.

Stadler just for the record since I have been posting old James Labrie quotes that I truly have no issue with you defending or trying to be fair to Mike, you are someone on a message board voicing your opinion and that's cool. Actually I wish you did know Mike and he hired you as his PR rep, you have more level headed responses than he does. :)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1723 on: July 11, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
Q: Are you sad, James? I mean, this is a huge shift in the world of DREAM THEATER and progressive rock. It's a fucking earthquake.

LaBrie: "You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

I'll tell you that that is a big part of anything I would cite.   Mike "tells it like it is" and he's a passive aggressive dickhead, and no context matter, but James "tells it like it is" and it's just him being honest.

The fact is, they DIDN'T "do everything", and while you can say "The Astonishing" is "uncharted waters", there's a lot of things that isn't at another level.   

And short of one Christmas release, they didn't do ANY of the things that Mike did.

I'm sorry, Stadler, but I'm beginning to wonder who you really are.  I'm really suspecting you of being close to MP to take up arms the way you do. If you're just a fan, well, let me remind you one thing : MP doesn't care what you say or do to defend him. It would save you a lot of trouble to let it go sometimes.

B.Lee

Ok, that's kind of out of line.  Who cares who I am?  I'm not allowed to have my take on this?  It's not a contest, I don't actually give two fucks what people think of me - short of my family and my close friends - so what does it matter to you?

I've never met the man, I have no dog in this hunt, other than an abiding sense of fair play and a finely tuned nose for bullshit, and some of this is over the top.  (There is a fair amount of truth to Setlist Scotty's signature).   To some degree - for example, in some of the P/R threads - I feel like I know how he feels at times when people think they can tell him what's best for him and his life and his career.    Is Mike perfect?  Of course not.   Are there times he should just put the phone down and let it go?  Of course.   But who cares if he goes off on that guy for giving him unwanted and out-of-bounds life advice (not, I might add, dissimilar to some of the people here)?   If you want to conduct your social media campaign in a certain manner, feel free to do so; I notice Mike isn't telling anyone else how to conduct their lives.   Let Mike run his in his own way, assuming he's willing to assume the consequences.   He's played in countless bands, released more records than any modern rock musician I can name off the top of my head, and some douche posting on Twitter from his moms basement in between games of Call of Duty is going to tell him what's best?    Mofo, please. 

None of this means squat in the grand scheme of things - it's an OPINION.   I choose to see a bigger picture and have an open mind on what Mike says.  You don't.   So be it.  Tomayto, tomahto. 

And I've already said that much of what I would have posted was in Bill1971's post.  If you'd like me to duplicate all that and repost it, I'd be more than willing to.   I feel like it wouldn't change one mind here.   You've already made it clear that "context" is not important in the least.

Now, Stadler, did I take sides in there? Because I'm sorry, but I cannot see it.

You don't give two fucks about what others think of you : good for you as I don't care for you either. I did not insult you in my post but you chose to insult me.

Where did I write you couldn't have an  opinion? Sorry, an OPINION as you chose to write. Btw, shouting won't have people shut it up.

As for your last condescending remark, where, again, did I write that context did not matter? Again, you choose to twist things up to have your way. Just as you do from the very beginning.

And you evaded my last question : where are JLB's exact quotes?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1724 on: July 11, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
Arguing that you have a right to your opinion is truly the last gasp of a losing argument.  Stadler takes debate lessons from Portnoy, apparently.

Does that work in the courtroom Stadler? 

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1725 on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
who cares if he goes off on that guy for giving him unwanted and out-of-bounds life advice (not, I might add, dissimilar to some of the people here)?   If you want to conduct your social media campaign in a certain manner, feel free to do so; I notice Mike isn't telling anyone else how to conduct their lives.   Let Mike run his in his own way, assuming he's willing to assume the consequences.

I feel the same about this in particular.. He's famous, yeah, but that doesn't necessarily imply that he can't reply to his fans even when that comment and/or his reply are aggressive in some way.. That's how some simply are; and MP is that type of guy.. But, having said that, the only thing I don't see like being right coming from him (a famous person) is the way he manages to use other's posts on social media or interviewers' questions to talk shit about DT, especially about James.. I wanna believe none of us is in favor of that..

The point I was merely trying to make was that Mike Portnoy shouldn't have to care what the hell his fans are wearing to whatever signing session he is doing. Why should he give a shit whether this person is wearing a DT shirt, a mangini era DT-shirt, a shirt that has some vulgar language, or no shirt it all?

This is an example of telling other people how they should feel or not feel.. I think is fine and absolutely understandable that he felt that way; the problem, again, may be to express it on social media, spreading the hatred all over again and hurting, this time, other's people feelings (to use his very same words)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1726 on: July 11, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
MP should create a popcorn company, I'm telling ya. Millions could be made.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1727 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »

Judging by his social media, it'd be way too salty.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #1728 on: July 11, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Let Mike run his in his own way, assuming he's willing to assume the consequences.   He's played in countless bands, released more records than any modern rock musician I can name off the top of my head, and some douche posting on Twitter from his moms basement in between games of Call of Duty is going to tell him what's best?    Mofo, please. 

I think you're being very unfair to the "douche" on Twitter by making unfair assumptions about him and his life, and ignoring the context of the conversation as a whole.

I, for one, CHOOSE to look at his point of view and take into account all the things I don't know about him. Why unfairly assume that he plays Call of Duty or that he lives in his mom's basement?

Perhaps MP sent him a very rude private message first, which provoked him to write the post in the first place. And now MP may have taken advantage of this by replying rudely and insulting him in public.

It's possible - you cannot rule out with 100% certainty - that there is more to this exchange than meets the eye, and I am BEING FAIR by choosing to not pass judgment on the kid's character and life choices and place of residence, unlike you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1729 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »

:rollin

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1730 on: July 11, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
I am sure most musicians and celebrities and get bashed on social media. It must be tough but at the same time it comes with the territory and the best bet is to take the mature road and not take the bait. If I were to walk through a playground and a bunch of kids started saying "what a dork you are" or something similar, I would probably smirk and keep walking not turn to them and say "oh yeah?? You're a doodee head"  Or even if people hit something personal like a past breakup or something, you have to just take the mature route and if it is very hard, hire someone to help you or stay off social media.

I am sure Geddy must have seen tons of comments about him not singing as good as he did or whatever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1732 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
JP himself at some point said that he doesn't look at online comments. I think most smart musicians keep it that way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
The next time a celebrity gets in to it with the anonymous twitt/face world and comes out ahead, it will be the first time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: July 11, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
You know, that second part is pretty sensible indeed. If he had really though that, there would have been no need for that first post. That's some double standards right there.

In the first post, he asked for the same sensitivity and understanding that he was offering to put forward in the second post.  It's not as if DT/Portnoy are Van Halen and Roth, or U2 or Bruce Springsteen; it's a tight knit group.  A fan who's not trying to be a dick would know better.  I don't think it was too much to ask.

Since you're replying directly to me, I'll do the same. Sorry that this post is already 3 pages down, stuff moves quickly in this thread :lol

The point I was merely trying to make was that Mike Portnoy shouldn't have to care what the hell his fans are wearing to whatever signing session he is doing. Why should he give a shit whether this person is wearing a DT shirt, a mangini era DT-shirt, a shirt that has some vulgar language, or no shirt it all? It has nothing to do with the event. By showing up, that fan shows that he has interest in Mike Portnoy, him wearing an ADTOE-shirt has nothing to do with that. Singling that fan out and ranting about it over the internet accomplishes absolutely nothing besides showing the world that you're incapable of letting go. Responding to the imminent backlash (which MP should know he can get, he's pretty much a public figure after all) with a 'I'm into peace, love and understanding' seems hypocritical at best. 'Live and let live' also means that his fans can wear whatever the fuck they want without MP having to get upset about the fact that it contains an image of a DT album he wasn't part of.

Look, what I'm about to write isn't about you personally, it's not an attack, but what you wrote gave me the idea for the following.  So please take it in the broad spirit it is intended:

And my point made.

When Mike is the RECIPIENT (i.e. the LISTENER) the onus is on the LISTENER to tolerate whatever is said to him, verbally or otherwise, and he has to swallow it, or at least interpret it in the nicest way possible.   But when Mike is the GIVER (i.e. the SPEAKER) the onus is on the SPEAKER to make sure it's said in the nicest, least passive-aggressive, least dickhead way, social media or otherwise, so that there is no chance of any misinterpretation, no chance that anyone in his old band might be offended, or otherwise slighted in any way.   Further to that, when James is the RECIPIENT, the onus is on the SPEAKER (Mike) to make sure there is no offense whatsoever, and when James is the SPEAKER, the onus is on the RECIPIENT (Mike) to understand that it's just James expressing is honest feelings about the way things are in the new world of DT.   

In other words, it's on Mike.   He has to be perfect, without emotion, without feeling and lizard-like alligator skin to make sure nothing penetrates, but should treat everyone as if they are an eggshell, fragile and in danger of being hurt, broken or worse.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1735 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Dude, if you can't see a pretty stark difference between the way James has spoken about stuff vs. the Mike does, I dunno what to say.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1736 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
I think a lot of people are turned off because when you initiate the break up and you're still talking about it 6 years later it comes off bad.

Mike's got it good with all the band's he's playing in now.  Focus on the positive.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

In other words, it's on Mike.   He has to be perfect, without emotion, without feeling and lizard-like alligator skin to make sure nothing penetrates, but should treat everyone as if they are an eggshell, fragile and in danger of being hurt, broken or worse.

It's on Mike... but it is also on James, John, John,  Jordan and Mike.
Don't you think they get hurt as well? Mike P has said and wrote a lot of things that have probably hurt them, espescially James.... you don't see them making passive agressive attacks at Mike.

Love the guy as an artist and entertainer but his social media persona... not so much.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: July 11, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

B.Lee

Now, Stadler, did I take sides in there? Because I'm sorry, but I cannot see it.

You don't give two fucks about what others think of you : good for you as I don't care for you either. I did not insult you in my post but you chose to insult me.

I did not insult you; I CERTAINLY did not say "I don't care for you" but at least it's out in the open, now, right?  In fact, I (implicitly) respected your opinion, and only asked that you do the same.

Where did I write you couldn't have an  opinion? Sorry, an OPINION as you chose to write. Btw, shouting won't have people shut it up.

You questioned my personal bona fides, as if no one in their right mind without an agenda could possibly hold the position I do.   And as for the "don't shout", I've been doing this quite a while here and elsewhere (with people that post here) and have a style.  I'm sorry it doesn't fly with you, I truly am, but little comments - which could be construed as anywhere from naively helpful to childishly pedantic - aren't really going to change anything at this point.  It's how I write.   

As for your last condescending remark, where, again, did I write that context did not matter? Again, you choose to twist things up to have your way. Just as you do from the very beginning.

Fair point; I assumed you have been reading the various posts over the past few pages and abuot 90% of my argument ISN'T that Mike is perfect and right and glorious in all he does (I rather agree with the idea that some of the posts are unnecessary) but rather that the context of WHY he posts (and what he posts) is important and many - most, if not all, let's be honest as I'm fair both ways - don't agree with me and feel he should be judged on the individual post itself every time and no context is relevant.   

B.Lee

I most certainly did not "evade your last question".  I've shown you far more respect than you've shown me; I clearly stated that most of what I WOULD have posted was included in Bill1971's post - including the "exact quotes" you're looking for - so unless you wanted me to simply repeat his post, I was going to consider my obligation met.  As that's clearly not good enough for you, I'll get right on it.  I don't have to get Mike's coffee or prepare his bath for another couple hours, so I have time now.   

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1739 on: July 11, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
Stadler, I see where you're coming from, but that has nothing to do with the (rather random) three-year-old facebook exchange/situation that I based my post on. To further that, I haven't said anything about JLB in this entire thread and I'm not looking to bash any sides here. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your post, with my 'quote' just being a preamble for your idea. Yes, things get blown out of proportion, but I do not think people are purposefully bashing MP *just* to get at him.

(Then again, I didn't at all get your VH/U2/Springsteen analogy, so I might have misunderstood everything :lol )
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1740 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
YAWN

MP shouldn't have said anything publicly, and if JLB did say some things (and I will give Stadler this, I do remember JLB saying a few things in interviews that danced around the MP thing that weren't complimentary toward him -- I just couldn't give you exact statements, but the things Stadler posted were generally what I remember), then he shouldn't have either.

The bottom line is, this was a nasty breakup, with one party airing some of it out, and his own personal frustrations in public (a mistake) and the other side being less public, but probably pretty vicious in private, from a legal standpoint (if I recall, there was a lawsuit).

So in other words, everyone screwed up. And to date, none of the parties have done enough to make everything happy again. OK.

Case closed...until it isn't again.

Hey, how about this, DT fans get MP and DT in the same calendar year, doing incredible sets!   :metal :tup

If MP wanted to really iron things out with JLB or anyone else, all he has to do is go to their house, and ring them up outside the front gate. It'll happen. And if neither side is willing to do something like that and take care of it in private, then they both obviously aren't really that interested in reconciling.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: July 11, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Dude, if you can't see a pretty stark difference between the way James has spoken about stuff vs. the Mike does, I dunno what to say.

It's not about seeing the difference.  I see the difference.  I'm not stupid.  I don't put the same weight on the difference - or I should say, I can explain the difference reasonably with context - and others can't/won't/whatever.  that's their right.  I'm less about telling everyone they're wrong than I am wondering why I have to defend my person because I don't choose to go along with the common wisdom.   Bertielee flat out said he/she doesn't care about me.  I have never once ever said that about anyone here.  It's not personal, and yet, on this topic it seems to be. 

For me, what James said/did would have pissed me off royally, and I'm not privy to half of what went on in the background. Two people who know - not "might know" or "could know" - but actually DO know said there's more to the story.  I want to know that story before I draw any conclusions, especially one's that require me to call one of the parties a "passive aggressive dickhead".  That's all I'm saying.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1742 on: July 11, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: July 11, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
Stadler, I see where you're coming from, but that has nothing to do with the (rather random) three-year-old facebook exchange/situation that I based my post on. To further that, I haven't said anything about JLB in this entire thread and I'm not looking to bash any sides here. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your post, with my 'quote' just being a preamble for your idea. Yes, things get blown out of proportion, but I do not think people are purposefully bashing MP *just* to get at him.

(Then again, I didn't at all get your VH/U2/Springsteen analogy, so I might have misunderstood everything :lol )

The U2/Van Halen/Springsteen analogy was about the size of the camps.   Honestly, at this point, Bono and Roth and Bruce are caricatures. We don't know what they're thinking, we don't know their inner workings, and I imagine every Tweet from them is carefully crafted by a team of PR experts to maximize revenue/political impact and minimize tabloid fallout.  Mike is not that.  We can see his phone in the interviews, and we know he does this personally.  We know he is real, as he walks out of studios to gather fans from outside to sing on his albums.   We know the stories behind the songs, we know the inner workings (to an extent) of the band.  We have the "Making of Systematic Chaos" DVD where there is CLEARLY tension between Mike and James, and not all of it from Mike.  That's where I was going.

Elite, I don't at all want or expect that you agree with me.  You saying you "understand" is enough, and I appreciate you having the conversation in a mature way.  Sincerely.   As I said elsewhere, none of this is going to solve world peace, get Oasis back together, or get The Cars into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's just friendly conversation between fans of a band with a little bit of drama in their rear view mirror. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1744 on: July 11, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
To be honest, I kind of wish I could unfollow this thread. It's just turned into a clusterfuck of people bitching and fighting about MP.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1745 on: July 11, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
By showing up, that fan shows that he has interest in Mike Portnoy, him wearing an ADTOE-shirt has nothing to do with that.
Not necessarily. I've read enough posts from plenty of jerks online who would wear an ADToE just to intentionally piss him off. I'm not going to justify MP calling out the fan the way he did since I don't agree with it, but while it's possible the fan was absent minded or oblivious to what he was doing, it's also very possible that he did it intentionally.

There is no doubt that MP has posted different regrettable things, especially in the months following the breakup. However, as I think Stads was trying to point out (correct me if I'm wrong Stads), now every time MP posts anything or is interviewed and says something about DT, everybody's going to read anything/everything into it. Even some times when a new video interview or article is published that is pretty even keeled, some who are critics will acknowledge it's a decent interview, but there are plenty of others who still doubt what he's saying or try to read between the lines. That doesn't happen with any of his former band mates. As far as they're concerned, they're completely innocent and have done no wrong. Not saying some criticism for MP isn't warranted, but some people seem to go above and beyond to find more stuff wrong than there really is.

I think a lot of people are turned off because when you initiate the break up and you're still talking about it 6 years later it comes off bad.

Mike's got it good with all the band's he's playing in now.  Focus on the positive.
Well, let's remember that this year is a focus on TSF, so DT is going to be the topic of the interviews. But if you take a look at the vast majority of the interviews he's done previously, while he might answer DT based questions, he rarely, if ever is the one to bring it up, and the answers he gives are fairly neutral in nature. And I'd say that he does focus on all the bands/projects he's playing with, and on the positive.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1746 on: July 11, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »

B.Lee

I did not insult you; I CERTAINLY did not say "I don't care for you" but at least it's out in the open, now, right?  In fact, I (implicitly) respected your opinion, and only asked that you do the same.

You questioned my personal bona fides, as if no one in their right mind without an agenda could possibly hold the position I do.   And as for the "don't shout", I've been doing this quite a while here and elsewhere (with people that post here) and have a style.  I'm sorry it doesn't fly with you, I truly am, but little comments - which could be construed as anywhere from naively helpful to childishly pedantic - aren't really going to change anything at this point.  It's how I write.   

Fair point; I assumed you have been reading the various posts over the past few pages and abuot 90% of my argument ISN'T that Mike is perfect and right and glorious in all he does (I rather agree with the idea that some of the posts are unnecessary) but rather that the context of WHY he posts (and what he posts) is important and many - most, if not all, let's be honest as I'm fair both ways - don't agree with me and feel he should be judged on the individual post itself every time and no context is relevant.   

B.Lee

I most certainly did not "evade your last question".  I've shown you far more respect than you've shown me; I clearly stated that most of what I WOULD have posted was included in Bill1971's post - including the "exact quotes" you're looking for - so unless you wanted me to simply repeat his post, I was going to consider my obligation met.  As that's clearly not good enough for you, I'll get right on it.  I don't have to get Mike's coffee or prepare his bath for another couple hours, so I have time now.

Anyway, Stadler, as we can't agree in the least on what we have said and the way we have said it, let's agree that, in the grand scheme of things, all of this is not that important. And sorry if I have come up as a douche, which I am not : my having just lost my father may have induced me to say things I don't normally say for such insignificance.

Peace

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1747 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
Imagine if Portnoy was more well known. He'd be on TMZ and in tabloids all the time!

Actually, compared to Hollywood drama or the frequent shit slinging between some major pop-stars, this is all extremely mild.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1748 on: July 11, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »
now every time MP posts anything or is interviewed and says something about DT, everybody's going to read anything/everything into it. Even some times when a new video interview or article is published that is pretty even keeled, some who are critics will acknowledge it's a decent interview, but there are plenty of others who still doubt what he's saying or try to read between the lines. That doesn't happen with any of his former band mates.

Maybe because they weren't in the band for the years Mike has, neither have publicly attack the other band members, even when still in the band?.. Those are kinda some of the reasons why his comments/sayings get so popular.. And, even when I myself don't follow him on social media and wouldn't post here a negative comment that he has made... let's be honest here; the first guy that makes Mike Portnoy look bad is Mike Portnoy himself.. Can't see it other way around, and we don't need any context to know what he has been saying publicly all these years..

To be honest, I kind of wish I could unfollow this thread. It's just turned into a clusterfuck of people bitching and fighting about MP.

I was about to write "Yes, you can" in response, but then realized what were you really saying, and it's actually happening to me too!.. :facepalm:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1749 on: July 11, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
I think when Mike says something like...
"You couldn't have shown up wearing a shirt form 1985 - 2010?"
He fails to understand new fans come in to the fold all the time. A 20 year old who became a fan in 2011 isn't wearing a ADTOE t-shirt to piss Mike off or insult him. He or she is simply a fan of DT and Mike and is excited to be at a show.
Does Mike not get that not all fans have been on board since 1992? I didn't discover DT till 2005 and I was 39 at the time.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi