Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213120 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
Maybe it would be interesting if they play some DT, but more B-side songs. In fact, DS era in DT is full of that and, realistic, with almost no rotation on setlists, it seems that DT will never play a B-side again in its shows.
I'm really hoping DS is involved on this and that this album will be kind of a sequel for FII, in terms of style. We don't see that kind of prog metal very often.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: March 03, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
Maybe if you have one record out and need a couple songs to fill out a setlist, play a couple DT covers.

I think that's fine too, but I agree that doing DT covers is not the best idea if they are trying to form a new true band.  But I also think they could cover other bands not related to the musician's past and fill up a set list as well.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »
I hear ya all. I guess for me personally, I want any band with DS and MP in it to be an extension of DT -- enabling Mike in particular to play DT material still, and play it regularly. That's my hope for this new band. One that will embrace the DT catalog. Not rely on it, but have it be a part of the band's identity.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #598 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
the Akerfeldt/Wilson project fell through
Strictly speaking, this isn't the case.  It went on just fine; it's just that, no matter how much MP wanted to be part of it, he wasn't.  And that was actually for the better of the final product.

I guess for me personally, I want any band with DS and MP in it to be an extension of DT -- enabling Mike in particular to play DT material still, and play it regularly. That's my hope for this new band. One that will embrace the DT catalog. Not rely on it, but have it be a part of the band's identity.
I know, opinions and all, but I don't get that at all, and I think this would be the worst possible thing this project could do.

They aren't going to do DT tunes better than DT does them.  They should stay away from them and move on from DT.  Just write and record some great stuff, and then perform it live, like every other band. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
Strictly speaking, this isn't the case.  It went on just fine; it's just that, no matter how much MP wanted to be part of it, he wasn't.  And that was actually for the better of the final product.

Oh, I know.  I wasn't trying to imply that it didn't happen.  Probably poor wording on my part.  I meant that, as far as projects MP was to be involved with, it didn't turn into something that he was included on.  I.e., it fell through for him.  Sorry, I thought what I meant was clear from the context.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »
PSMS was, admittedly, a bit of a trainwreck. The guys talk about it in the Blu Ray of that tour.
Intriguing. Can you elaborate?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #601 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »

Oh, I know.  I wasn't trying to imply that it didn't happen.  Probably poor wording on my part.  I meant that, as far as projects MP was to be involved with, it didn't turn into something that he was included on.  I.e., it fell through for him.  Sorry, I thought what I meant was clear from the context.
I don't think he was ever intended to be involved.  I think he was trying to involve himself into it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Whether that is or isn't true, that's still not really relevant to what I was saying, so I'm not sure what you are arguing.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #603 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
The interviews around Storm Corrosion suggest to me that whatever the Portnoy/Wilson/Akerfeldt project was (if it was ever an actual thing), it was unrelated. Storm Corrosion seemed much more spontaneous.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
PSMS was, admittedly, a bit of a trainwreck. The guys talk about it in the Blu Ray of that tour.
Intriguing. Can you elaborate?

The project was meant as a one-off, but was hastily put together for a tour that had all kinds of technical issues on a bunch of dates. I like the album though.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
I know, opinions and all, but I don't get that at all, and I think this would be the worst possible thing this project could do.

They aren't going to do DT tunes better than DT does them.  They should stay away from them and move on from DT.  Just write and record some great stuff, and then perform it live, like every other band.

That's just it, hef. You don't need to "get it," ya know. We simply disagree my man. Not the first time, won't be the last. I agree they should write and record some great stuff and perform it. That's pretty much a given from where I am coming from. But I'd like to see MP and DS' past not be forgotten. Mike was instrumental in the creation of Dream Theater and the...evolution and creation of many of the songs. Those of importance to the two of them shouldn't be forgotten about if they have the ability to perform them with each other.

But in general, yes, new music, perform it!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 03, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
other than hoping Billy Sheehan and Mr. Morse stay out of it. (all respect to them, but kind of

I agree with you on this point. I'm also interested in what singer they get. I know a lot of people like Casey on Flying Colors but I really think his vocals stake away from the music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #607 on: March 03, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »

That's just it, hef. You don't need to "get it," ya know. We simply disagree my man. Not the first time, won't be the last. I agree they should write and record some great stuff and perform it. That's pretty much a given from where I am coming from. But I'd like to see MP and DS' past not be forgotten. Mike was instrumental in the creation of Dream Theater and the...evolution and creation of many of the songs. Those of importance to the two of them shouldn't be forgotten about if they have the ability to perform them with each other.

But in general, yes, new music, perform it!

Haha, looks like you won our "argument" there!  Mike seems to agree, and I'm happy you might get your wish.  Depending on the singer, I'm looking forward to this too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #608 on: March 03, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
I can only chime in with Hef, in the sense of, I guess we shall agree to disagree, but man, this desire to relive the past is IMHO one of the causes why we haven't gotten anything truly interesting from MP. With PSMS he knew he could just roll the classics and people would show up. And if he sees enough "as long as he plays some DT, I'll go" online, he'll come to the same conclusion for this next project.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: March 03, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
And if he sees enough "as long as he plays some DT, I'll go" online, he'll come to the same conclusion for this next project.

This statement is really comical.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #610 on: March 03, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
Regarding Eric Gillette, while something like this could improve his profile, I hope he doesn't do it.  Portnoy is already doing him no favors by calling him "John Petrucci Junior," a label I am seeing stuck on him in a lot of places now, but playing in a band with DT's ex-drummer and ex-keyboard player will just reinforce the belief some have that he is nothing more than a John Petrucci clone/wannabe.  I'd rather see Gillette forge his own path outside of the Neal Morse Band, rather than playing in what would basically be a DT clone band.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: March 03, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
When did MP call jim JP Junior.

That would suck being called that.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #612 on: March 03, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
Well his Petrucci-like stage presence and style (you can easily tell he is very influenced by Petrucci when you listen to his playing) isn't doing him any favours either in this regard. I've seen him called mini-Petrucci on some of his videos even before he did this.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #613 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »
Maybe that's what he wants. He definitely hasn't done anything to distinguish himself yet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: March 04, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »

That would suck being called that.

During the band intros, if I'm not mistaken.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: March 04, 2017, 07:17:33 AM »
Maybe that's what he wants. He definitely hasn't done anything to distinguish himself yet.

True, I guess I'm just saying if it was me I wouldn't like it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #616 on: March 04, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »
I definitely wouldn't either, but you can go on youtube and find a lot of similar Petrucci clones so it's something people strive for.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:56:10 PM by Mosh »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #617 on: March 04, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

Here's one instance: https://youtu.be/2hxtUs3qS70?t=3m43s
on the Cruise to the Edge. The 'Shattered Fortress' gig.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy if I were labeled 'JP Junior' either :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
I can only chime in with Hef, in the sense of, I guess we shall agree to disagree, but man, this desire to relive the past is IMHO one of the causes why we haven't gotten anything truly interesting from MP. With PSMS he knew he could just roll the classics and people would show up. And if he sees enough "as long as he plays some DT, I'll go" online, he'll come to the same conclusion for this next project.

Good. Because that's exactly what I'd like to see -- a headline show consisting of 9 or 10 new songs, and five or six Dream Theater songs the band loves.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #619 on: March 04, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
I definitely wouldn't either, but you can go on youtube and find a lot of similar Petrucci clones so it's something people strive for.

A more general comment here, I feel the pejorative "JP clone" gets thrown around a lot whenever somebody is what I would call "modern metal guitar player". There was the thread about whether JP has a distinct style or not, and I thought it actually had a point, in the sense that JP is himself a modern metal guitarist, just incredibly skilled. He has very few idiosyncrasies. So, just because somebody strives to be a well-rounded guitarist who can both play melodic and shred solos, doesn't mean he's a JP clone.

Gillette of course is indeed a JP clone, no question.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: March 04, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
Eric Gillette is doing a Questions and Answers over FB right now, and it will be on it for the next 24 hours. 

I went ahead and asked him about the JP comparisons

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
Props to Gillette for giving the classy, PC answer. :tup :tup

I see he was also asked who his favorite three classic and modern bands are, and he didn't mention Dream Theater for current (he said Haken, Devin Townsend and King's X); that surprised me.  Also, for his his favorite five albums ever, he mentioned two Metallica albums (MoP and Black Album), and there was the Devin Townsend nod, so he is clearly much more of a metal guy than I realized.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is there anybody here, that thinks Eric is just a JP clone, listened to his solo album the great unknown?
If somebody listen to that allbum, I can't believe that will continue to have this opinion.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #623 on: March 05, 2017, 01:19:07 AM »
I haven't eard that record, no, but I'll put it on my list. I've been interested in checking his stuff out lately, so I'll do that!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #624 on: March 05, 2017, 02:33:38 AM »
I see he was also asked who his favorite three classic and modern bands are, and he didn't mention Dream Theater for current (he said Haken, Devin Townsend and King's X); that surprised me.  Also, for his his favorite five albums ever, he mentioned two Metallica albums (MoP and Black Album), and there was the Devin Townsend nod, so he is clearly much more of a metal guy than I realized.
Raises an interesting follow-up question... are DT a modern band? Or are they now a classic band? They've been around for approaching 30 years so I personally don't think "modern" is appropriate.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2017, 02:43:54 AM »
Well, yeah, they are the go-to band within the progressive metal genre. The band even people that might not have much with the genre will know at least by name. The band that every single progressive metal band will inevitably be compared with. I don't think Dream Theater can be considered 'modern' anymore, especially since they're seen as the architects of an entire genre that came to fruition in the 90s.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
Raises an interesting follow-up question... are DT a modern band? Or are they now a classic band? They've been around for approaching 30 years so I personally don't think "modern" is appropriate.

Well, he did mention King's X in his modern bands, and they've been around longer than DT.

But to answer your question, I think the 80s have always been the dividing line for classic and modern prog.  The late 60s and 70s (and what little spilled over into the early 80s) make up the classic era, most of the 80s were a wasteland for prog, and then the 90s began the modern era.  Prog bands in the last 10 years or so really aren't doing anything new, so it's hard to separate them too much from the prog of the 90s and early 00s; they all blend together, especially since some of the major modern prog acts are having much more longevity than the classic acts did (from a doing "prog music" standpoint). 

Offline devieira73

« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »
I haven't eard that record, no, but I'll put it on my list. I've been interested in checking his stuff out lately, so I'll do that!
It's really a good album and it's very cheap on googleplay.  :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »
By the way, an interesting information on MP forum, given by himself:

""Lee123: I'm wondering if Mike is going to have the same creative control like he did with DT?"

For the 1st time since 2010, YES!!
It was made very clear and understood before we even started...

With TWD, FC, NMB, TA, MA all being more of a "democracy", the ONLY way i could take on another band (without going insane!) is if I was to have the same level of overall creative control I had in DT
"

From that, I'm believing now, if the fans will embrace it, maybe this project will become the main MP band and not only a side project.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
That roughly translates to, "I can't wait to boss people around again." :lol :lol