Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212936 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #560 on: March 02, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/DerekSherinian/status/837141893251133440

Definitely the same studio. Sherinian is in.

EDIT: Derek has taken down his tweet

What did it say?

It showed a picture of his keyboard rig in a studio that looks identical to the one Mike was in in his pic from earlier.
The caption said something like "My office for the next 10 days"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #561 on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
I agree. I love Neal, but I hope it's not another Portnoys/Morse collaboration, because seriously, although they sell them as something different, in the end they all sound similar.
Eric would be great to be involved as a full member in terms of composition, honestly I don't believe that he had so much impact on TSOAD, since Morse has never let that happen ever.
I'm also guessing that someone from Haken could be involved, although they are VERY busy... an album + a tour and everything could be hard to realize for those guys.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #562 on: March 02, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
My hope is that Portnoy didn't enlist the usual suspects (Billy Sheehan or Neal Morse). Derek is great, and I love the DT connection. Here's hoping something really cool gets put together. Can't wait for more details!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #563 on: March 02, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
I honestly don't care too much who he has on bass, and wouldn't really react if he had Randy George or Billy, even though he has done a lot with them on other projects.  Honestly, in the vast majority of bands, the bass player usually don't have a TON of influence in the songwriting/composition department outside of maybe a song or two per album.  I'm more interested in the compositional musicians that will really influence the sound.  I would love it if Nick was correct and NVD were involved.  I would LOVE to hear what he is capable of outside of Redemption and working with some other seriously capable musicians.  But we'll see.  This could be amazing.  Or it could really fall flat.  Or it could be somewhere in between.  But when Mike is at the helm (unlike, for example, AMob), the result is usually pretty good, so I am hopeful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
My hope is that Portnoy didn't enlist the usual suspects (Billy Sheehan or Neal Morse).

Agree. Billy is great, but he doesn't fit this style of music at all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Are "Relentless" and "Cheyenne" indicative of John Arch?   If so, not the worst choice (better than Russell Allen, in my opinion) but not the best choice.  His voice is a shade whiny for me.   then again, I'm one of the few that can't imagine a DT without LaBrie.   It was his voice as much as anything that sucked me in back in '92 when I first heard Images and Words.   

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
Arch came to mind, but honestly, I think he's pretty content with his life, and just doing the FW reunion stuff once in a while, or teaming up with Jim like he did for Arch/Matheos.

There are a million singers out there that could work. I guess we'll eventually find out. If Derek said his "office" is that studio for 10 days, that tells me with such a short window, everything is already written. So whoever the rest of the band is, this has been on the table for a while.

I seriously hope it's a real BAND however, and not a side project.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
If it really is PSMS with a vocalist, John Arch would be great...if only so they can call themselves SPASM (referring back to my earlier post suggesting other A-named vocalists like Russell Allen).

Anyways, I thought it was hilarious yesterday seeing Mike's post and thinking about the discussion in this thread about how some didn't want to see Mike ever do a full-on prog metal project for fear that it would be compared to DT way too much, but I think it's been long enough that Mike feels the need to do that kind of music again. He's been doing hard rock, symphonic prog, pop-prog, and heavy metal, but nothing that really blends those into the kind of prog metal he's known for from Dream Theater, so I think he just misses doing that.

Has anyone tried to track down tweets or updates from the other members of PSMS to see what they're up to?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »
I think Billy was in europe a few days ago...

Offline Art

« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
John West would be awesome and he deserves a chance with a bigger band. but i know the chances are close to zero...

Russel Allen? Jorn Lande?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
I just checked...Billy´s been in Eastern Europe for a few days now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: March 02, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
Jorn Lande?

My interests would spark a lot more if he was going to be the vocalist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #572 on: March 02, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »
If Derek said his "office" is that studio for 10 days, that tells me with such a short window, everything is already written.

Logical assumption, but not necessarily so.  I know you wouldn't know this, as someone who doesn't actively follow Transatlantic or Neal Morse, but the typical MO for songwriting for those two bands has often been along the lines of:  Some band members have some ideas for songs, but not full songs written.  They come together in Neal's studio for 7-10 days, throw those ideas on the table, and then spend the first half of that time writing the album together when they are all in the same place.  Mike then usually lays down the drum tracks.  And then they all leave and go back home, where they record their own parts to Mike's drum track, and they email files back and forth until everything is tracked.  It may seem like an odd way to write for us old fogies, but it has worked in a few projects Mike is involved with and has produced some EXCELLENT music, so it can definitely work.

As for whether this is a "band" or just a project, I think this is another area where looking to Mike's past is relevant.  As I mentioned in our conversation offline, he has done quite a few things that started off essentially as "projects" that turned into full-fledged entities of their own over time and as the members became comfortable that it was something they wanted to invest in long-term after getting their feet wet and testing the waters together.  And that make sense with something like this (Transatlantic, Flying Colors, etc.).  As I mentioned, when it comes right down to it, there is a relatively small number of “known” prog metal musicians out there.  When you start factoring in who might be a “right fit” to work with Portnoy and then also start factoring in scheduling and availability, the pickings start looking VERY slim.  I think he may likely have had feelers out there for a long time trying to get something going, and they either turned into other things or didn’t come to fruition (working with Russell Allen turned into AMob, which failed; PSMS was only really a niche LTE-type project; the Akerfeldt/Wilson project fell through).  I guess we'll see.  But if it turns out that it is just a "project," I wouldn't worry too much about it not becoming a full-fledged ongoing band at some point down the road, because it has been shown that that can often happen with things Mike is involved in if they end up being proven to work.  And if this proves to NOT work so well, then even better that it wasn't (hypothetically) set up to be a "band" from the getgo.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:36:47 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #573 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
Would it matter if other members are not in the same studio?

I mean, Mike could record drums without having the bassist or vocalist present, unless they are actually writing the songs in the studio.

Which then of course means, literally anybody could be involved, which then means.. nothing.. so the speculation because non-sensical :lol

Okay, here's a guess:
Portnoy
Sherinian
Connor Green on bass (Haken)
Some vocalist
Eric Gillette

I really doubt Portnoy would ditch Gillette now and randomly play with someone else all of a sudden, though I suppose Steve Morse could be an option as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #574 on: March 02, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »

I mean, Mike could record drums without having the bassist or vocalist present, unless they are actually writing the songs in the studio.

Which then of course means, literally anybody could be involved, which then means.. nothing.. so the speculation because non-sensical :lol

Okay, here's a guess:
Portnoy
Sherinian
Some vocalist
Eric Gillette

I really doubt Portnoy would ditch Gillette now and randomly play with someone else all of a sudden, though I suppose Steve Morse could be an option as well.

That's a lineup I'd be interested in hearing music from. Though I don't know if Some vocalist has quite the right voice for the project :neverusethis:
Photobucket sucks.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: March 02, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline Art

« Reply #576 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
So, Derek is confirmed. Cool!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #577 on: March 02, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

Okay, here's a guess:
Portnoy
Sherinian
Some vocalist
Eric Gillette

That's a lineup I'd be interested in hearing music from. Though I don't know if Some vocalist has quite the right voice for the project :neverusethis:

I'd take Gillette over Morse. Great player but not much of a songwriter for me.
T Mac would be great .
In fantasy land I'd like to see Vinnie Moore do a prog metal album. He's maybe added too much blues to his playing these days but a few years ago he'd have been great.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #578 on: March 02, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
My first thought after seeing Derek and Mike would record together: Holy shit! I'm finally going to spend money on something Mike has done post-DT.

Then I check out his facebook post and read some of the comments: Typical Portnoy.  Interest waning

Somebody suggests John Arch could be vocalist: Holy shit take all my money now!

Remembers surprise lineup for Shattered Fortress: Underwhelmed.  I'll standby for more. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
When I read the term "Supergroup" I am already getting cautious. What happened to just having a regular "group", one that doesn't rely on the names for pull, but instead the music?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
If Sherinian is in this, how it that for irony?

The first prog metal band Portnoy does post-Dream Theater, features the keyboard player he (and the others) fired to get the guy who is still in the band who wouldn't let him return? 

:eek :eek

Offline Mladen

« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:28 AM »
That's just fantastic.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »

The first prog metal band Portnoy does post-Dream Theater, features the keyboard player he (and the others) fired to get the guy who is still in the band who wouldn't let him return? 

Fist thought that came to my mind as well.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #583 on: March 03, 2017, 05:17:59 AM »

Wasn´t that the case with PSMS as well?

I´m excited for this, but calling a band "supergroup" from the get go does more disservice to the project than helps it. Look at how many supergroups that fell flat: Velvet Revolver, Chickenfoot, Adrenaline Mob, Tin Machine, Blue Murder, Neurotic Outsiders, Audioslave, Zwan, Brides of Destruction, Living Loud, GTR, California Breed, Killer Be Killed, Art of Anarchy, Blind Faith, SuperHeavy etc. etc. etc...

Offline Art

« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:14 AM »

Charlie Dominici on vocals!  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
I´m excited for this, but calling a band "supergroup" from the get go does more disservice to the project than helps it. Look at how many supergroups that fell flat: Velvet Revolver, Chickenfoot, Adrenaline Mob, Tin Machine, Blue Murder, Neurotic Outsiders, Audioslave, Zwan, Brides of Destruction, Living Loud, GTR, California Breed, Killer Be Killed, Art of Anarchy, Blind Faith, SuperHeavy etc. etc. etc...

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
Personally, I really hope MP and DS recruit a stable lineup and have a true band in the prog metal genre. I'm not too worried about who the musicians are going to be, other than hoping Billy Sheehan and Mr. Morse stay out of it. (all respect to them, but kind of over exposed lately to me.) The key to me is the singer. You can write the most killer prog metal record in history, but if my ear doesn't like the tonal quality of the singer, I'll jump ship quickly.

If it is a band that will play a lot of DT, then I hope Mike does go the true tenor route and bring someone in that can properly replicate James' work.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »
I keep catching myself wanting to say what I think he will or will not do with this band, and realizing that, even as much as we know about MP based on past habits and how much he puts out there in the public, there really isn't ANYTHING to go on here other than the fact that he is in studio in L.A. and that Derek seems like he is likely part of this.  I can't help but be optimistic, but I keep having to remind myself that I have no clue what this will be like.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
If it is a band that will play a lot of DT

That I think would be the most disappointing route this band could take.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Yes, stay away from doing DT songs (covers?). Keep to the original stuff, please.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
Educated guess:  We will definitely see a DT song or two or three show up in their sets, but probably not more than that.  It's Mike Portnoy.  How could we realistically NOT expect some DT songs?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
I think a cover here or there is fine. But if it's just another vehicle for playing each members' old material, that would be disappointing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
I think a cover here or there is fine. But if it's just another vehicle for playing each members' old material, that would be disappointing.

For you and some others perhaps. If you  have two former members of DT, I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't at least do two or three Dream Theater songs in a set. If Mike Portnoy and Derek S are in a band together, if they don't play Dream Theater, that would suck. I hear ya overall on covering every member's other bands...that gets old, and I'd agree that would be overkill. But a couple of DT songs, for me, is vital, if this is a stable band that will tour (we have no idea).

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »

For you and some others perhaps. If you  have two former members of DT, I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't at least do two or three Dream Theater songs in a set. If Mike Portnoy and Derek S are in a band together, if they don't play Dream Theater, that would suck. I hear ya overall on covering every member's other bands...that gets old, and I'd agree that would be overkill. But a couple of DT songs, for me, is vital, if this is a stable band that will tour (we have no idea).

At least the live staples of FII, and possibly bits of ACOS. That´s what I´m hoping for, anyways. I think this is MP and DS´s second attempt at getting a prog band together, since PSMS was, admittedly, a bit of a trainwreck. The guys talk about it in the Blu Ray of that tour.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »

Yeah I'm with you on that one. Maybe if you have one record out and need a couple songs to fill out a setlist, play a couple DT covers. But if this turns out to be a band that is going to record and tour moving forward, after they have two records recorded, I would want them to tour that and invest in that music.