Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212915 times)

Offline Art

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #525 on: February 27, 2017, 04:32:50 AM »
I also expected a lot more from a band with MP and Russell Allen.

I expected a lot more from a band with MP and Billy Sheehan.

I expected a lot more from a band with MP and Steve Morse.

I really like TWD. FC is not my cup of tea...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
For those of you wanting to relive the moment, or for those who simply couldn't make it, here's the complete second night of Mike Portnoy's 50th Birthday Bash celebration during Cruise to the Edge 2017. It encompasses material of Liquid Tension Experiment and the world premiere of his project “The Shattered Fortress”, a full progressive-metal tour-de-force including members of Haken, Spock's Beard and Pain of Salvation, performing live for the first time the “12 Step Suite”. Filmed in ultra-high definition (aka 4K), you must change the resolution settings to see it in full glory (And that will depend on your Internet bandwidth). Hope you all enjoy this magnificent event as it unfolded in front of our eyes!

https://youtu.be/2hxtUs3qS70

Credit to Joel Barrios

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 27, 2017, 07:03:23 AM »
With this description, I was pretty sure I would click on the link and find the rickroll video there, but apparently it's legit. Thank you!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #528 on: February 27, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »
For those of you wanting to relive the moment, or for those who simply couldn't make it, here's the complete second night of Mike Portnoy's 50th Birthday Bash celebration during Cruise to the Edge 2017. It encompasses material of Liquid Tension Experiment and the world premiere of his project “The Shattered Fortress”, a full progressive-metal tour-de-force including members of Haken, Spock's Beard and Pain of Salvation, performing live for the first time the “12 Step Suite”. Filmed in ultra-high definition (aka 4K), you must change the resolution settings to see it in full glory (And that will depend on your Internet bandwidth). Hope you all enjoy this magnificent event as it unfolded in front of our eyes!

https://youtu.be/2hxtUs3qS70

Credit to Joel Barrios

OMG, The entire thing on Youtube!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: February 27, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »
This Joel Barrios got a lot of footage from ProgPower last year, I've watched a bunch of his videos before.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
This is great! I mean, the sound isn't THAT great as the wind is buggering the volume, but it's not distorting the pitch and so it's actually alright to listen to and seems to give a pretty accurate recording (although the downside is that pictching errors on vocals and leads are actually more noticeable :lol ).

I dig the vocal performances on the whole, except for Daniel not knowing the words and Ross struggling with the crazy bit in the middle of TGP :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #531 on: March 01, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Having watched the whole Suite, I think they did an amazing job. In between touring, writing and everything, how did the guys from Haken PRACTICE all that stuff? I would need years :D And when did they all get together to rehearse? MAN :D

Eric Gilette IS a beast, indeed. I would have loved Richard and Charlie to have more solo parts though.

I feel like Daniel had some lyrics problems. Did he have a laptop standing in front of him? If he had problems with half of TDS, I don't want to imagine the whole suite with Daniel. Sorry to say that, although I love Daniels vocals.

Ted Leonard did a very good job as well, although he had some problems with the high notes. Nice to hear him in a more metal context, although TROAE is not the heaviest song of the five.

In general, I realized how hard JLBs vocals actually are! None of those GREAT vocalists could pull it off easily or even perfectly. But maybe that's because they don't have the routine in singing those songs.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
Having watched the whole Suite, I think they did an amazing job. In between touring, writing and everything, how did the guys from Haken PRACTICE all that stuff? I would need years :D And when did they all get together to rehearse? MAN :D

Honestly, apart from the songs being very fast and thus tiring on both hands, none of the rhythm parts for the entire twelve step suite is especially difficult. The guitar solos are on a whole other level (most notably the solos in The Glass Prison and the ending to This Dying Soul), but I think most of the solos were played by Eric Gillette. I can imagine some of the Haken guys practising the stuff together. Even still, if you're a musician at the level they're playing at, you don't really need to get together as much to play the stuff right if everybody would practise their own parts perfectly at home.

I feel like Daniel had some lyrics problems. Did he have a laptop standing in front of him? If he had problems with half of TDS, I don't want to imagine the whole suite with Daniel. Sorry to say that, although I love Daniels vocals.

Yeah, he was reading stuff from a laptop. You can see him turn it on when he walks on. Ted does the same.

In general, I realized how hard JLBs vocals actually are! None of those GREAT vocalists could pull it off easily or even perfectly. But maybe that's because they don't have the routine in singing those songs.

JLB gets way too much slack as a vocalist. I can see why people wouldn't like the tone of his voice, but he is undeniably a great singer.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
So speaking of a Mike Portnoy Prog Metal supergroup...

https://www.facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial/posts/1598772116807091

Hmmmm....what have we here??
I'm in LA recording an album with something new...
Sorry, this is all you're gonna get outta me on this for a while...More will be revealed at a later date...stay tuned!
#ProgMetalSupergroup
Coming soon...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #534 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
With Los Angeles as the only clue as to who may be involved I'm going to take a swing and say Nick Van Dyk will be a guitarist and lead songwriter.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #535 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
Paging Brian! Looks like you got your wish!!!

With Los Angeles as the only clue as to who may be involved I'm going to take a swing and say Nick Van Dyk will be a guitarist and lead songwriter.
Fingers crossed Derek Sherinian will be on keys. And altho it's a bit of a stretch, I'd love to see MP finally do an original project with Paul Gilbert, altho I think I read somewhere that he moved (I think he used to be based in the LA area). The only thing I'm hoping will not be included in this band/project is cookie monster vocals, altho I'm sure that wish will not come true. I wonder if MP would include Eric Gillette or not, given how similar he is in style to JP.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:45:05 AM by bosk1 »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #536 on: March 01, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
It'd be cool to see a project with a bunch of guys he has never worked with before, but I suspect this will be another case of "musical chairs," where he mixes and matches guys he has worked with before and calls it something different. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #537 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/DerekSherinian/status/837141893251133440

Definitely the same studio. Sherinian is in.

EDIT: Derek has taken down his tweet
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:50:58 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #538 on: March 01, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Portnoy
Sherinian..

Who else?

I can totally see Gillette in it.

And then bass and vox?

Hmmm
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #539 on: March 01, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
Portnoy
Sherinian..

Who else?

So basically DT.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: March 01, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
We need an Asian and a Canadian!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #541 on: March 01, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
Devin Townsend on vocals? :neverusethis:

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: March 01, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Portnoy
Sherinian..

Who else?

And then bass and vox?

Hmmm

You just need bass.... Gilette can handle the vocals

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2017, 10:11:01 PM »
Portnoy
Sherinian..

Who else?

And then bass and vox?

Hmmm

You just need bass.... Gilette can handle the vocals

I don't dislike his vocals, but I wanna see someone with a little more.. umph. Maybe not growls, but more umph.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
I just hope he doesn't go for something inoffensive.

Like "Well....this will definitely make 45% of my fans excited, good enough for me!" and just going as safe and predictable as possible.

Do something weird, do something crazy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
I will be surprised if someone from Haken or Eric Gillette isn't involved. The timing for this seems too close for that not to be somehow related.

This is pretty interesting though. Is this going to be his first all out prog metal project since leaving DT? I don't really count PSMS as they were doing all covers.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Adami

« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
I hope it's MP, DS, plus Paul Gilbert, Neal Morse and either Billy Sheehan or Dave LaRue.

He can call it "The Portnoyest Portnoy has ever Portnoyed"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »
I hope it's MP, DS, plus Paul Gilbert, Neal Morse and either Billy Sheehan or Dave LaRue.

Or perhaps "Portnoy Max". :neverusethis:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2017, 12:10:49 AM »

Or perhaps "Portnoy Max". :neverusethis:

No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:33 AM »
Wasn't Devin Townsend preparing for a project where he would be playing bass and doing vocals?  :corn
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
Wasn't Devin Townsend preparing for a project where he would be playing bass and doing vocals?  :corn

IIRC he implied that he would like to do a project where he would play bass and "maybe" sing in his Gearwhore Bass video, but it didn't really come off as something that has been decided.
Tbh I don't really see Devin working with other composers. Wasn't Transcendence the first album where he actually let the band have some imput?

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #551 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:55 AM »
And he (Devin)is on tour in Europe right now..

Haken and NMB will also start their European tour in 3 weeks so they need to be pretty quick...

Interesting project. Let's hope it meets expectations which will be pretty high as with everything guys like MP are doing.
A tour would be appreciated.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: March 02, 2017, 05:37:38 AM »
DS deleted his tweet

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #553 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »
https://twitter.com/DerekSherinian/status/837141893251133440

Definitely the same studio. Sherinian is in.

EDIT: Derek has taken down his tweet

What did it say?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #554 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
Hmm, this could be interesting. Hopefully we find out more soon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #555 on: March 02, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Looks like you got your wish!!!

Fingers crossed Derek Sherinian will be on keys. And altho it's a bit of a stretch, I'd love to see MP finally do an original project with Paul Gilbert, altho I think I read somewhere that he moved (I think he used to be based in the LA area). The only thing I'm hoping will not be included in this band/project is cookie monster vocals, altho I'm sure that wish will not come true. I wonder if MP would include Eric Gillette or not, given how similar he is in style to JP.

I had a feeling something was in the works. ;) Very cool. Hoping it's truly cool. Happy that Derek is involved. I swear I saw something else on FB yesterday about someone going to LA for a metal project, that was in the vein of something like this, but I can't find it, and can't remember!  >:(
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2017, 08:21:26 AM »
Anyone But Neal 2017

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
Looks like you got your wish!!!

I had a feeling something was in the works. ;) Very cool. Hoping it's truly cool. Happy that Derek is involved. I swear I saw something else on FB yesterday about someone going to LA for a metal project, that was in the vein of something like this, but I can't find it, and can't remember!  >:(

I guess that rules out Jim then, because you would remember that!

Anyone But Neal 2017

:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Nah, it wasn't Jim who posted that. I just spent the last few minutes trying to find it, and couldn't. Maybe I was confusing it with something else.

And no, if it was Jim, I'd absolutely remember (and he wouldn't post it on FB anyway).

I knew it was only a matter of time before MP did something like this. Glad it is happening.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Art

« Reply #559 on: March 02, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »