Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212913 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1365 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
So do you guys think the only Canadian MP hates is the guy who wrote the post he responded to, or a certain singer from a well known prog metal band?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1366 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
Not sure what he has against Rik Emmett.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1367 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Come on, Celine Dion ain't that bad.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1368 on: July 03, 2017, 11:51:06 PM »
I mean it could be any Canadian that looks despisable (Biebs, Celine Dion, Chad Kroeger, etc.).  Heck, for all we know, it could be a member of Rush......

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1370 on: July 04, 2017, 12:29:32 AM »
Paraphrasing, but it's on there...

FB Commentor : Why isn't this tour coming to Canada. Does MP hate Canadiens?

MP: Only one.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

JFC, man, just when you think MP can't top himself.

Just below that is this comment:

Quote from: Portnoy
As I've now said a million times already...there is no guarantee I can/will release a DVD of this...
I cannot handle anymore drama with the DT camp.
Get yourself on a plane and catch one of these shows!!
If you are a DT fan, you deserve to witness this

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

The guy is seriously out of it at this point.  How can anyone be so delusional and believe their own BS so hard.  What's that?  You say you don't hold grudges?  The DT guys being adults and professional since you left while you can't stop trashing them at every opportunity doesn't make YOU the cause of any drama?  All the drama is from MP and the fact that DT don't respond to it just makes MP create even more drama.

Step 1)  Create drama.
Step 2)  Perpetuate drama.
Step 3)
Step 4)  No profit, just double-down on drama.

Now we wait for the "I'm just being honest" defense.

You absolutely cannot write this stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »
Love the drummer and the entertainer called Mike Portnoy but the social media person called the same makes me cringe sometimes....

Why does he never learn to hold his thought... maybe he just like trump would benefit from having someone to give an OK to any post he makes

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1372 on: July 04, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »
Just for comparison: Eluveitie, a folk metal band, went through an extreme line-up change recently. Band members left through the years, but last year the band leader wanted the drummer gone, and so the other longtime members (guitar player and female vocalist / hurdy gurdy player), all close friends, decided to leave as well, and they formed a new band together, Cellar Darling.

Yesterday Eluveitie posted an update about their new album, and someone replied "Hey, planning on firing any more members? in case we get to hear more music, Cellar Darling has a new album and it's great" (something like that).

The band (Surely the band leader actually, the main force of the band) replied something like: "Not anytime soon. And yes, we've heard their album and we love it".

Such a provoking reply, and such a classy and witty answer. That's how you should always handle drama on social media.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1373 on: July 04, 2017, 01:24:47 AM »
Just for comparison: Eluveitie, a folk metal band, went through an extreme line-up change recently. Band members left through the years, but last year the band leader wanted the drummer gone, and so the other longtime members (guitar player and female vocalist / hurdy gurdy player), all close friends, decided to leave as well, and they formed a new band together, Cellar Darling.

Yesterday Eluveitie posted an update about their new album, and someone replied "Hey, planning on firing any more members? in case we get to hear more music, Cellar Darling has a new album and it's great" (something like that).

The band (Surely the band leader actually, the main force of the band) replied something like: "Not anytime soon. And yes, we've heard their album and we love it".

Such a provoking reply, and such a classy and witty answer. That's how you should always handle drama on social media.

There shouldn't have been drama in the first place. MP left, so you would think it could have been all clear. But, no, he himself starts the drama.  And seven years later, he adds fuel to the fire with such childish comment! The guy never learns anything, so much so that it's painful.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: July 04, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »
That's a great reply to a troll there MirrorMask... if only MP had that in him.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1375 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
There are people that still expect MP to take the high road? C'mon, guys. I'm as big an MP fan as any, but even I've learned to just accept the music and compartmentalize the buffoonery.

And I can see why MP and James don't have the best relatoinship. It seems like, from the documentaries we have, that MP was always keeping a close eye on James in the studio and live, and even tried to replace him after SDOIT. When MP left, I remember distinctly feeling like James sounding like he couldn't be happier, with a tone in his voice like he had finally gotten his way. I wouldn't be surprised if the relationship with JLB is considerably worse than the one with JP, JR, and JM.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1376 on: July 04, 2017, 06:50:56 AM »
Come on, Celine Dion ain't that bad.

She doesn't even drive a fork truck.  Go figure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1377 on: July 04, 2017, 06:56:30 AM »
I love MP as an entertainer probably more than any of the other DT guys, but his social media antics sure are something... I mean, it is sad that there is obviously some bad blood and fustrations, but one should never take that to social media. That said, at this point this should be no surprise to anyone.

Also, I have watched some yt vids and these seem like awesome concerts. I think there is merit to this band and I do hope we will get an official release out of it, as unlikely as that may be.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: July 04, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
The quality of the show definitely merits an official release....
Too many legal hurdles to jump over though....

Anyone who has a chance should really do anything to be there.
Something like this will never happen again.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1379 on: July 04, 2017, 07:09:41 AM »
Haha oh MP.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1380 on: July 04, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
The quality of the show definitely merits an official release

Really? It would be rather boring to watch I think. I found it to be okay at best, with almost every other show at Be Prog! My Friend to be more enjoyable than the Shattered Fortress.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: July 04, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »
The quality of the show definitely merits an official release....

Anyone who has a chance should really do anything to be there.
Something like this will never happen again.

MP is that you?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1382 on: July 04, 2017, 07:43:19 AM »

He keeps saying that, but I'm still not sure why? He released DT music with PSMS and Flying Colours, why should it now be different? He probably has to ask, but I can't imagine DT saying no. But maybe I'm just too naive?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1383 on: July 04, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »
A post I made in the supergroup thread back in March is worth quoting here now:

Let's sum him up:

-Loves social media.
-Gets overly defensive about any criticism or perceived slight.
-His hardcore fans are apologetic to the point of being almost scary.
-Loves to talk and say anything under the guise of "telling it like it is" and/or "setting the facts straight."

Wait, are we talking about Mike Portnoy or Donald Trump?

:eek :eek :eek

:lol :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1384 on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »
At least one of them is good at their day job  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1385 on: July 04, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Kev will get this.

MM is like David Price and the Media.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1386 on: July 04, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
Maybe James threatened to leave if the band colaberated with MP in any way.

If he really is referring to James, I don't see why Mike is the one hating when he did all the shit talking.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1387 on: July 04, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
Tonight he's gonna play here in Milan, not gonna attend because I had my fair share of DT shows with him and I didn't consider this essential, but those YouTube clips gave me a little of doubt about it, damn  :D

Ironically he's gonna play in a small venue, actually a seated theatre, which sits right next to the big sporting venue where he always played with DT. I hope he won't mind that, he praised the Milan crowd as one of the best when he toured with DT and I'm glad to say I often contributed in giving this impression!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1388 on: July 04, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »

He keeps saying that, but I'm still not sure why? He released DT music with PSMS and Flying Colours, why should it now be different? He probably has to ask, but I can't imagine DT saying no. But maybe I'm just too naive?

We obviously have no clue what kind of terms were decided upon when MP left DT, but clearly he did not maintain the right to perform, record, and sell DT music (which makes perfect sense) or else he'd be doing it. If I had to guess, I'd say he did it with PSMS and FC because DT would only see a small amount for copies sold as the DT music made up a small portion of the set. In this case, it's all DT music so I'd imagine DT would stand to make more money if MP recorded and chose to sell per unit, probably making it not worthwhile financially for MP to do so.

When he says legal hurdles he probably is referring to trying to get DT to agree to some sort of different arrangement, which they probably wouldn't because when MP left, all that was ironed out and they probably would just like to leave it all as it stands.

Like I said, we clearly don't know but that's my guess.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: July 04, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Just got tickets for this. Based on the YouTube videos I saw and the setlist, this is going to be one hell of a show. I loved DT show on AFTR tour, and I'm looking forward to see a slightly different take on these songs now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1390 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Paraphrasing, but it's on there...

FB Commentor : Why isn't this tour coming to Canada. Does MP hate Canadiens?

MP: Only one.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

JFC, man, just when you think MP can't top himself.

Just below that is this comment:

Quote from: Portnoy
As I've now said a million times already...there is no guarantee I can/will release a DVD of this...
I cannot handle anymore drama with the DT camp.
Get yourself on a plane and catch one of these shows!!
If you are a DT fan, you deserve to witness this

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

The guy is seriously out of it at this point.  How can anyone be so delusional and believe their own BS so hard.  What's that?  You say you don't hold grudges?  The DT guys being adults and professional since you left while you can't stop trashing them at every opportunity doesn't make YOU the cause of any drama?  All the drama is from MP and the fact that DT don't respond to it just makes MP create even more drama.

Step 1)  Create drama.
Step 2)  Perpetuate drama.
Step 3)
Step 4)  No profit, just double-down on drama.

Now we wait for the "I'm just being honest" defense.

You absolutely cannot write this stuff.

Maybe he needs to revisit some of the later steps - he's got a reminder every night of the tour.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1391 on: July 04, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »

I'm sure he could. But as said, the show being hugely DT covers plus with a founding member makes it harder to release. Especially with how much tension their seems to be.

Although, I wouldn't mind just the 12 Step Suite.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1392 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
DT releases music that MP co-wrote, so I'm pretty sure the agreement goes both ways. I obviously don't know it but I can't believe that MP would sign a contract that forbade him to release music which he helped create.

So it may be, that the effort is not worth the outcome, but I still don't believe that legal trouble is the main reason.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1393 on: July 04, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
DT releases music that MP co-wrote, so I'm pretty sure the agreement goes both ways. I obviously don't know it but I can't believe that MP would sign a contract that forbade him to release music which he helped create.

So it may be, that the effort is not worth the outcome, but I still don't believe that legal trouble is the main reason.

It's not about who wrote it, it's about who owns the rights. Best I can tell, DT own all the rights.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1394 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »

It's not about who wrote it, it's about who owns the rights. Best I can tell, DT own all the rights.

Exactly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1395 on: July 04, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »
At this point I think Mike should just go full heel and start cutting anti-Dream Theater wrestling-style promos at these tour dates.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1396 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Either way, I feel this is something you have to witness live. A DVD and CD won't capture the energy and overall atmosphere of being at that show, from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave.

The only reason I'm interested is hearing DT songs being sung by a different singer.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1397 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Maybe he needs to revisit some of the later steps - he's got a reminder every night of the tour.
Yep. Whatever happened to "kindness - it's not that hard", "self-restraint of tongue and pen" and "willingness to understand?"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: July 04, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
At least there's fan footage of this tour, unlike TA.  I'd totally buy a nice blu ray, but if we can't get that, at least there will be tons of really solid youtube videos documenting the entire tour.  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1399 on: July 04, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Yep. Whatever happened to "kindness - it's not that hard", "self-restraint of tongue and pen" and "willingness to understand?"

"Hypocrite - how could you be so cruel?"
Squ