Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213054 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1330 on: June 30, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Seen DT twice last year and twice this year. Fantstic shows all of them.
Seen Mike once this year  (with Neal Morse Band ) and it was a gret show.
Will see Mike on sunday with Shattered Fortress.... really looking forwrd to it.
For this fan at lest this is a great time to be a DT and Mike Portnoy fan!

Yes, good point. I may have no interest in seeing MP without DT but there are many who do, so this is a very good time.

Also I am sure he will play some DT songs when he plays live with his new prog metal band with Sherinian. He wants to leave DT in the past but he will do it as a "favor for the fans" :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1331 on: June 30, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »
Also, I've seen DT 11 or 12 times since 2003, and JLB has gotten better with every single tour. Still don't understand the flack he gets.

JLB, from the clips I have seen, is struggling badly on the current tour, which shouldn't be a surprise since the I&W songs were tough to sing live 25 years ago. And he is no spring chicken now.  He has always tried to do too much live, and rock singers who sing in the style that he does rarely age well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1332 on: June 30, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
Seen DT twice last year and twice this year. Fantstic shows all of them.
Seen Mike once this year  (with Neal Morse Band ) and it was a gret show.
Will see Mike on sunday with Shattered Fortress.... really looking forwrd to it.
For this fan at lest this is a great time to be a DT and Mike Portnoy fan!

Fucking this man, enjoy what we can get while we can get it, this shit ain't gonna last forever, and the day will come when we'll only have memories.

May not get to a show, but I got a buddy at PPUSA who will hook up a shirt for me, it'll be a good addition to the collection.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1333 on: July 01, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »
The flack JLB gets is bullshit. Yeah, he struggles at times. But go ahead, trot out another age 50+ operatic singer capable of doing I&W and ACOS night after night, and do it perfectly. You won't find any. Bottom line -- it's a really difficult record to sing. And as DT fans, I feel that personally, we should be thankful that they are doing this, as DT likely won't ever play I&W again because of how tough it is for JLB to perform.

So big thanks to Labrie for taking care of his voice and slugging it out night after night to give us such a cool treat. I'm not the only DT fan that has I&W as one of his all time favorite albums. And this is something special. JLB sounds fine. Some nights better than others. But that's singing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1334 on: July 02, 2017, 11:00:58 AM »
To go back to the real topic of the thread, yesterday I had one of the best gigs in my life. What a great audience in Paris, singing, jumping, smiling. I wasn't really glad when I saw the setlist as I wanted a few extras like New Millenium, Raise the Knife...but the setlist makes sense : Overture 1928/SDV are the best openers in DT's history and finishing the set with Finally Free sends a strong message.
The band was on fire and Mike seemed to have fun. The sound was aweful but it didn't matter. You must attend the shows if you can.
The icing on the cake : thanks to the former Presidents of the French fan club, I got my picture signed and some news: Mike will announce the full line up of his super group next month (one guitar player, one singer and one bass player to be announced) and he will tour with that band next year!!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1335 on: July 02, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
The sound was aweful but it didn't matter.

I'm (not really) sorry, but a bad sound ruins everything for me...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1336 on: July 02, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
Well it got better during the 12 Step Suite but too much bass and drums. Well I was near the front row so if I really wanted to get a good mix, I should have moved near the table.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1337 on: July 02, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
I dig how Mike has Eric pulling vocal duties as well. There's a cool slight contrast between Ross and Eric.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: July 02, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »
Oh my god!!!! 
What an amazing concert I have just witnessed. Shattered Fortress live at Slagthuset in Malmö. 

Was standing in the first row (seated theater) just in front of the amazing Eric Gillette. 

Fantastic setlist, fantastic musicians... just wow!!!!
Thank you Mike...... 

Made even more special by Mike handing me and my friend his drumsticks a few songs in because me and my friend rocked out standing while everyone else sat. They got standing after that.... 

If in doubt and you have the possobility to go... just do it. It will be one of the best concerts you have seen... 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
Made even more special by Mike handing me and my friend his drumsticks a few songs in because me and my friend rocked out standing while everyone else sat. They got standing after that....

That's awesome.  Love that type of interaction with the crowd  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1340 on: July 02, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
This thread is about The Shattered Fortress, not James LaBrie.  Keep it on topic.

And it should go without saying that some of the off-topic posts about James were way over the line.  Offenders have been warned. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1341 on: July 03, 2017, 04:30:16 AM »
Well it got better during the 12 Step Suite but too much bass and drums. Well I was near the front row so if I really wanted to get a good mix, I should have moved near the table.

I'm sorry you had that, the Mix seemed to be ok at the London Gig but we had a couple of other technical faults but only minor. Its normal the start of a new tour.

I agree on Eric's vocals, I was surprised i had no idea how good a singer he was and it worked great going against Ross' vocals.

What I also loved is how much the band are enjoying these gigs, Richard Henshall and Diego especially look like kids in a candy shop.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:49:20 AM by FOXAN03 »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »
Took some photos yesterday on the amazing Shattered Fortress event....

The band travelled for 16 hours after the show in Paris and the crew had to set up the stage in record  time.. one hour. Still the concert was about an hour late... but when you wait for something like this..

Huge thanks to Mike, the band and the crew for giving their all to deliver this to Scandinavia.Forfeiting their day of and instead spending the night and the day on the bus.

You should hopefully be able to see these
https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/1091381544331246/?ref=bookmarks

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1343 on: July 03, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
What I love about the Setlist is the opening of Regression with the count down all of Mike's best Drum moments are played, from a fortune in lies, 6:00, Honor thy father as if the narrator is telling Mike to go back and remember his past life in DT and then ending with Finally Free to round it all off to say you're now free from this music. Its Poetic!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1344 on: July 03, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
Saw this at Be Prog! My Friend (just got home). It was quite fun!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1345 on: July 03, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Saw this at Be Prog! My Friend (just got home). It was quite fun!

Glad you had fun, its a shame you guys had one of the best songs cut due to time restrictions.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1346 on: July 03, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
What I love about the Setlist is the opening of Regression with the count down all of Mike's best Drum moments are played, from a fortune in lies, 6:00, Honor thy father as if the narrator is telling Mike to go back and remember his past life in DT and then ending with Finally Free to round it all off to say you're now free from this music. Its Poetic!

Yup, as I said before its Mikes way of finally letting go. We all know its been bothering him since he left, and this is good therapy for him.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1347 on: July 03, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
Yeah, maybe.. :|
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1348 on: July 03, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
So is Terry Brown going to sue MP for the use of the SFAM intro?  :biggrin:

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1349 on: July 03, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
I really hope someone creates a good bootleg for this tour since there wont be an official release

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1350 on: July 03, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
Such a great touch from MP for this tour :tup :tup :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1351 on: July 03, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
Yup, as I said before its Mikes way of finally letting go. We all know its been bothering him since he left, and this is good therapy for him.

I think it's likely to have the opposite effect. Playing those songs again will remind him how much he loved the music Dream Theater created and he will miss being in the band even more than he did already, which is perfectly understandable. 

So is Terry Brown going to sue MP for the use of the SFAM intro?  :biggrin:

Using the Terry Brown Scenes intro probably eliminates any chance of any of these shows being recorded and released on DVD or Blu-ray (which I suspect was out of the question already because of the DT factor, let alone the Terry Brown one).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1352 on: July 03, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
Richard Henshall said a while ago that Haken is going to start working on a new album soon, for a 2018 release, so I was wondering, since 5/6 members of Haken are currently touring with MP, playing DT material exclusively, will this inspire them to write a more DT oriented album for Haken? What do you, guys, think?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1353 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
I want to see MP featured in the new album like he was on Restorations... but on something ridiculous like a single cowbell hit...

And on topic:

I so wish this was coming to LA :(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1354 on: July 03, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
Richard Henshall said a while ago that Haken is going to start working on a new album soon, for a 2018 release, so I was wondering, since 5/6 members of Haken are currently touring with MP, playing DT material exclusively, will this inspire them to write a more DT oriented album for Haken? What do you, guys, think?

I might actually enjoy their music.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: July 03, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »
I think they already write very much in that vein and were DT fans to start with, so I don't see it having a significant impact at all.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1356 on: July 03, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
I think they already write very much in that vein and were DT fans to start with, so I don't see it having a significant impact at all.

The first two albums maybe, but The Mountain and Affinity are nothing like DT's music imo.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1357 on: July 03, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
They're heavy and technical like DT, but they seem to be influenced by bands like King Crimson and Gentle Giant more than the prog groups that influenced DT like Yes and Rush.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: July 03, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »
Paraphrasing, but it's on there...

FB Commentor : Why isn't this tour coming to Canada. Does MP hate Canadiens?

MP: Only one.

:-[

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1359 on: July 03, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »
I like how all the Portnoy fans in the comments find it incredibly witty.
I'm a fan of Portnoy and all, but that's pretty low. (if it is what it is, always a tiny chance it could be a lame Bieber joke)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1360 on: July 03, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
I like how all the Portnoy fans in the comments find it incredibly witty.
I'm a fan of Portnoy and all, but that's pretty low. (if it is what it is, always a tiny chance it could be a lame Bieber joke)

For as bad as he is with Putting his foot in his mouth and being less than cordial on social media....i can't believe he's actually say that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1362 on: July 03, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
Guy Lafluer?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1363 on: July 03, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »
So childish.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1364 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
Just below that is this comment:

Quote from: Portnoy
As I've now said a million times already...there is no guarantee I can/will release a DVD of this...
I cannot handle anymore drama with the DT camp.
Get yourself on a plane and catch one of these shows!!
If you are a DT fan, you deserve to witness this
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods