Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213114 times)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1295 on: June 29, 2017, 10:09:58 PM »
People judging and making up their minds based on youtube vids, so what's new?.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
Bah. It's only the poor quality YouTube footage that makes it sound like he's singing in tune ;)

Yeah except JLB doesn't sound in tune even on Youtube.

Yeah, I know - hence the irony of my post. It's a little wink to those who always blame a YouTube recording for James sounding like he's having a rough time.

But don't get me wrong: James is the voice of DT and I'd prefer to hear him singing DT songs. (In tune.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: June 30, 2017, 06:50:16 AM »
I guess I'm the only one with no interest in a Dream Theater cover band playing with Portnoy.  I will say, though, that I highly doubt this will be a successful way for Portnoy to put DT behind him.  I think he'll end up realizing DT was the best band he'll ever be with and miss it more after playing it again then moving on.

Maybe, but check out the new official Winery Dogs live video.  That's a band that's certainly got things going for them.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1298 on: June 30, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
Wish there were some dates in the Pacific North West!

Amen. Or just plain WEST. Alaska Air is cheap!

Yeah, I would surely do LA or Portland or Seattle for this one.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1299 on: June 30, 2017, 07:42:04 AM »
I guess I'm the only one with no interest in a Dream Theater cover band playing with Portnoy.  I will say, though, that I highly doubt this will be a successful way for Portnoy to put DT behind him.  I think he'll end up realizing DT was the best band he'll ever be with and miss it more after playing it again then moving on.

Nope you aren't the only one.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1300 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »

I'll third that.

Also, I've seen DT 11 or 12 times since 2003, and JLB has gotten better with every single tour. Still don't understand the flack he gets.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1301 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
So many of you are little bitches about MPs comments. I don't agree with him about ACOS at all, but see where he's coming from. Damn yall. It's fine.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »

I'll third that.

Also, I've seen DT 11 or 12 times since 2003, and JLB has gotten better with every single tour. Still don't understand the flack he gets.

Yeah, James has been great the last couple tours especially. I guess for me the videos I've seen of this performance don't make me want to go out of my way to see MP play DT songs with these guys, or make me some how prefer these random musicians covering DT songs to the actual band, but it does make me miss MP being a part of DT. The energy and vibe he brings to the songs, his presence, that I miss.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1303 on: June 30, 2017, 08:31:14 AM »

I'm in this group as well. Aside from the 'energy' that everyone is smitten with.....if you listen to the actual music being played it's just a pretty good cover version of the songs. And that goes for MP as well. Even when he was in DT I hazed his performances because he takes a lot of 'holidays' on songs...especially in the double bass pedal aspect....where he doesn't play them as they are recorded.

I know it's part of MP's flare to give a raw performance and not go note for note....but me personally....I like the recorded versions of DT's songs and that's the very impressive thing about MM....just when you think there's no way he could pull off what he has recorded he nails it live perfectly.

This show/these shows are neat and and will sound good....but for me there is no comparison between the cover band MP put together and Dream Theater. Dream Theater far exceeds.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1304 on: June 30, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

I'm in this group as well. Aside from the 'energy' that everyone is smitten with.....if you listen to the actual music being played it's just a pretty good cover version of the songs. And that goes for MP as well. Even when he was in DT I hazed his performances because he takes a lot of 'holidays' on songs...especially in the double bass pedal aspect....where he doesn't play them as they are recorded.

I know it's part of MP's flare to give a raw performance and not go note for note....but me personally....I like the recorded versions of DT's songs and that's the very impressive thing about MM....just when you think there's no way he could pull off what he has recorded he nails it live perfectly.

This show/these shows are neat and and will sound good....but for me there is no comparison between the cover band MP put together and Dream Theater. Dream Theater far exceeds.....
Good to see I'm not the only one.  I'm not trying to be a hater, but if I watch a Youtube of this vs. a Youtube of DT doing ACoS on this tour, it's the actual DT that transfixes me.  The cover band is fine but I don't really watch long because that's what it is - a cover band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1305 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
So many of you are little bitches about MPs comments. I don't agree with him about ACOS at all, but see where he's coming from. Damn yall. It's fine.
And you should know by now that personal attacks are not permitted here.  Knock that off.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1306 on: June 30, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »

I'll third that.

I'll fourth it.

But since we are talking about MP's band instead of a cover band, I'll stick to that topic instead and say that I'm glad he is not only doing it, but also doing the songs justice.  Despite that he is becoming almost intolerable to listen to because of the things he apparently can't help himself from saying and doing, I would probably see this if it came here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1307 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
Home

https://youtu.be/anfWK68gEDU

Ah this brings back the feels

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1308 on: June 30, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »
Here is a part of the merch stand. I love the black tshirt with all the logos!!!

Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1309 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
What is the logo on the yellow one?  I can't figure out what it is supposed to be.  I mean, it looks like bats and an infinity symbol, but I don't know what that is from or what it relates to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: June 30, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
What is the logo on the yellow one?  I can't figure out what it is supposed to be.  I mean, it looks like bats and an infinity symbol, but I don't know what that is from or what it relates to.

Actually looks like the Devin Townsend Project logo:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1311 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
It definitely is....wtf is that doing there?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1312 on: June 30, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
Yea, that's weird to see. It clearly says something on the back. Wonder what it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: June 30, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
This is the shirt, but the back is different. The one at the merch table looks like it says "BAND"

https://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/devintownsendproject/logo-bats-t-shirt

EDIT: Actually it probably says TRANSCENDENCE, the title of the latest DTP album.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1314 on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
It's a festival so it'll be a general Merch stand for all bands there

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: June 30, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
Ooooooh I thought that pic was from the first show in London.  :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1316 on: June 30, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
Actually looks like the Devin Townsend Project logo

Oh, that's why I didn't recognize it.

Ooooooh I thought that pic was from the first show in London.  :facepalm:

So did I.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1317 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

I'll third that.

I'll fourth it.

But since we are talking about MP's band instead of a cover band, I'll stick to that topic instead and say that I'm glad he is not only doing it, but also doing the songs justice.  Despite that he is becoming almost intolerable to listen to because of the things he apparently can't help himself from saying and doing, I would probably see this if it came here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you, especially the bolded. It sounds good, the guys are definitely doing the songs right. If this was coming near me, I'd probably go, I just don't view MP+a bunch of other guys playing DT as something I'd prefer to see over DT themselves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1318 on: June 30, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
Oh, absolutely.  But I don't view it as an "instead of" because it isn't.  It's an "in addition to," and I think we can/should just be able to enjoy both for what they are.  Bottom line is, this tour is a good idea because (1) DT isn't gong to play those songs, at least not all together in this arrangement, and (2) there is still a sizeable group of people that want to see/hear Mike Portnoy playing DT songs.  So as was the case when he was still in the band, he finds a way to deliver something fans want.  I think that's really cool (despite the growing glaringness of those other traits he has that make him so offputting) something I can take at face value and not try to put too much baggage on it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1319 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
Haken feat. Portnoy and Gillette on in about 10 minutes. Will not be updating, just watching the show. Greetings from Barcelona, Spain.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1320 on: June 30, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »

I'll third that.

I'll fourth it.

I'll fifth it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1321 on: June 30, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
no interest in a Dream Theater cover band

we are talking about MP's band instead of a cover band

Thanks for saying that.  it almost comes off purposely marginalizing to refer to it as a DT cover band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: June 30, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
Haken feat. Portnoy and Gillette on in about 10 minutes. Will not be updating, just watching the show. Greetings from Barcelona, Spain.

Enjoy  :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1323 on: June 30, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
I can enjoy both and don't have to judge who is better because both are good and that's enough for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1324 on: June 30, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »

I'll third that.

I'll fourth it.

I'll fifth it.

Count me in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1325 on: June 30, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
Its a pretty good performance. But it's still no DT. If it was coming closer to me or maybe Denver I'd see it.

Overall it looks like a fun show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: June 30, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Seen DT twice last year and twice this year. Fantstic shows all of them.
Seen Mike once this year  (with Neal Morse Band ) and it was a gret show.
Will see Mike on sunday with Shattered Fortress.... really looking forwrd to it.
For this fan at lest this is a great time to be a DT and Mike Portnoy fan!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1327 on: June 30, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
Seen DT twice last year and twice this year. Fantstic shows all of them.
Seen Mike once this year  (with Neal Morse Band ) and it was a gret show.
Will see Mike on sunday with Shattered Fortress.... really looking forwrd to it.

Yes, good point. I may have no interest in seeing MP without DT but there are many who do, so this is a very good time.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1328 on: June 30, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
Seems like it was the same set tonight minus Home. That makes sense since they're not headlining. Marillion are.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: June 30, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »

Agreed.