Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212916 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1260 on: June 29, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
So refreshing to hear DT songs with MP on drums again. It sounds much better than DT lately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: June 29, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
Honestly, I think Finally Free, message wise, makes more sense, if that's what Portnoy truly believes.

Either way, I was blown away by the videos and am absolutely gutted I can't be in NY or ATL to see this in the states.

ATL Atlanta?  I have not seen anything about that. 

They're playing the Prog Power Festival in September in Atlanta

Yup, that may have been the first show announcement.  It's sold out though.  If you want tickets, I suggest heading over to the progpower forum and posting on their ticket thread.  That's how I snagged one last year for the sold out event.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1262 on: June 29, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
I don't think JP is looping in backing guitars under his solos very often even though they are playing to click. He's doing it in some obvious spots like the intro to TCoT, but as far as solos in songs, I don't think that is something he's doing a lot of. As far as loops, it seems like primarily they are looping vocal-related things, not a ton of instrumentation. TA is the exception to this I guess because of the orchestral stuff being looped. JR can't cover all that live.

I don't know that it is Jordan looping it in.  I think it is a static backing track that has extra guitars, backing vocals, orchestration, etc.  I think it's something that just runs during the entire song, which is why they play to a click to begin with (other than being able to sync up with video).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1263 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
Honestly, I think Finally Free, message wise, makes more sense, if that's what Portnoy truly believes.

Either way, I was blown away by the videos and am absolutely gutted I can't be in NY or ATL to see this in the states.

ATL Atlanta?  I have not seen anything about that. 

They're playing the Prog Power Festival in September in Atlanta

Yikes, well this is gonna cost me.  But after seeing last night's vids, I'll find a way.  Thanks!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1264 on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
It pains me to say, but recent DT performances I've seen online...do not compare favorably to this.

Yea, I love DT and all and enjoy their shows, but I think this kind of hits on the point of what the DT shows have been lacking since MP left, which is that raw live energy.

the energy is certainly there...it's undeniable. A very exciting evening that would have been cool to be at. But, as far as the songs themselves and the playing of them....while they were executed very well IMO it wasn't near the musicianship of DT. Sounded great and all....but the 'something missing' aspect was that the 'something missing' was JP and JR. You can't replace those two when it comes to playing a DT cover.

I agree about JP and JR, even though I really like Diego Tejeida as a keyboard player. Eric, on the other hand, doesn't impress me that much, as he's just basically a JP clone and that's it (talking about his guitar playing, not his voice, which I think is really good), so it doesn't sound "real", if you know what I mean.

About the vocals, I like Ross' voice a lot, and I think he did a great job. He doesn't sound like James, and that's weird to hear, but, tbh, he was more in tune than James usually is on a live show these days, which is, imo, the only thing that DT struggles with on the live shows. I think having DT with another singer in a couple years wouldn't be such a tragedy as some might think.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1265 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
I don't think JP is looping in backing guitars under his solos very often even though they are playing to click. He's doing it in some obvious spots like the intro to TCoT, but as far as solos in songs, I don't think that is something he's doing a lot of. As far as loops, it seems like primarily they are looping vocal-related things, not a ton of instrumentation. TA is the exception to this I guess because of the orchestral stuff being looped. JR can't cover all that live.

I don't know that it is Jordan looping it in.  I think it is a static backing track that has extra guitars, backing vocals, orchestration, etc.  I think it's something that just runs during the entire song, which is why they play to a click to begin with (other than being able to sync up with video).

You might be right, it was hard to tell what exactly was getting looped when I saw TA live in person, and since there's no official DVD of the tour and somewhat limited YouTube footage, it's tough to know for sure.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1266 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »
The videos from this are pretty enjoyable but I'm not struck on the singer. I'll take James and his sometimes annoying James-isms any day.

I will say though that the crowd kicked the ass of Manchester earlier this year.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1267 on: June 29, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
How about this...Sept. 24 in NYC. What are the odds MP is joined by some of his former DT bandmates at Irving Plaza?

MP said he's mended fences with three of the band members. JR, JP, and someone else. I don't know when DT's tour will start, but I am assuming they will rehearse in New York. If so...how cool would it be if one of those guys, or even all three MP was referring to, got up on stage and did a couple songs?

My money would be on Jordan if that did happen. Seems like he and MP, at least publicly, seem to be on good terms.

It could be a double-edged sword though. On one hand, it may give them closure. On the other hand, it would really fan the flames regarding MP's return on the eve (I would assume) of DT doing a tour.

Thoughts?

And given I&W's 25 years, wouldn't it be something if they did something to celebrate that as well with MP at that Shattered Fortress show. I mean, I assume MP is on tour the rest of the year, so if DT does a NYC/LI date, MP may not be around for it.

The possibilities though...if they truly have mended fences between MP and a couple of the guys. It may make for an epic September 24 if the stars align...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1268 on: June 29, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm not saying it will happen, as I don't think it will, but if it does Jordan is my biggest bet as he and MP did guest spots at the same Haken show in NYC on their first tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1269 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
If it happened yes, that would be Jordan... but it won't happen. Even if either Jordan or one of the other guys would feel up to it, just to show up and play a song along with an ex bandmate, it would still be a huge and negative boomerang effect, with people making comparisons, hoping for a reunion and so on and so forth.

I know that babies and marriages analogies are silly, but... even if you no longer have hard feelings for your ex spouse, still going on with a date with said ex it's not the best idea, especially if many of your friends still think that ex spouse that left you was better than the current one anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: June 29, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Similarly, I think DT management would nix anything from happening.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1271 on: June 29, 2017, 12:45:49 PM »
Well, management works for the band, not the other way around.  They don't really have the power to nix anything.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1272 on: June 29, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
Well, management works for the band, not the other way around.  They don't really have the power to nix anything.

In the same manner that a producer works for the band, that's not going to keep a (good) producer from telling the band when they shouldn't be doing something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: June 29, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
That NYC show is between the Asian tour and the Singapore date for DT.  I thought about the idea of a DT member being in attendance, but I am wondering if they are going to fill that blank space with maybe Australia dates or something.  If not, then they might be home in the NYC area making it possible.  Just pretty rough to come back from asia for two weeks and then go to Singapore when they could be touring other markets closer to that side of the world.  We shall see.  My guess is they will not be there.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: June 29, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
"As for those other two songs, I'm not going to perform those either because they both bring back very heavy emotions to me. 'The Best Of Times' is something that I wrote for my father and played it for him on his deathbed while we held hands and both cried. After he passed away, a few days later, I played it again at his funeral and to be honest, I've not listened to it again since then. It just breaks my heart and it's so difficult for me to hear that song now.

Weird! Does that mean he didn't listen to is when BC&SL was being mixed and mastered?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: June 29, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »

In the same manner that a producer works for the band, that's not going to keep a (good) producer from telling the band when they shouldn't be doing something.

I don't personally think it's likely. But management can say whatever they want, if one of those guys wants to go hang with an ex-bandmate and go play a tune or two, there's nothing that can be done stop that. Producers can say whatever they want too -- they aren't always right.

Besides, it's not going to happen. But fun speculation for sure. For those going to NYC, I certainly hope that show is tops of the tour. Fans in my hometown that were there from the beginning (and everyone, really) deserve that at DT's home base. But it'd be really refreshing to see some healing even with a small thing like sharing the stage.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1276 on: June 29, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
I don't think we will see a DT member participate in this because, well they are in DT, and honestly that would start to blur some lines and probably make MM very uncomfortable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
I don't think we will see a DT member participate in this because, well they are in DT, and honestly that would start to blur some lines and probably make MM very uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't think them participating would blur any lines.  It's clear they are sticking with MM and participating in this would only be in support of MP and their history together.  To me, it wouldn't signal anything with regards to current DT.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: June 29, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
I think it would blur more lines if MP joined DT for songs, as opposed to a couple guys from DT joining MP for his side project.

Having MP guest with DT gives it a bigger audience, and would send a bigger statement, in my opinion. Which is why I don't think you'd ever see that. But Jordan or JP stepping up to play Metropolis or something, or A Change of Seasons with Shattered Fortress as a salute to the past? Totally could see it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1279 on: June 29, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »

Personally, I don't think them participating would blur any lines.  It's clear they are sticking with MM and participating in this would only be in support of MP and their history together.  To me, it wouldn't signal anything with regards to current DT.

Really? You don't think a current member or members of DT performing DT songs with MP would start to blur lines or make MM uncomfortable in any way? Huh, I'd guess it would, but that's just me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1280 on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
I think it would blur more lines if MP joined DT for songs, as opposed to a couple guys from DT joining MP for his side project.

Having MP guest with DT gives it a bigger audience, and would send a bigger statement, in my opinion. Which is why I don't think you'd ever see that. But Jordan or JP stepping up to play Metropolis or something, or A Change of Seasons with Shattered Fortress as a salute to the past? Totally could see it.

Agreed.  And I don't think it would likely make Mangini uncomfortable at all (although I could see the reverse making him uncomfortable). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: June 29, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »
Yea, I mean, like Samsara said, he isn't joining DT on stage, DT is joining him on stage in this scenario.  I think that makes a difference.  Plus DT has been pretty clear (or should I say MP has been pretty clear about DT's stance) about MM being the guy and MP is not coming back.  So my thought is it would just be a fun thing for the fans to celebrate the history of DT and it wouldn't really be a statement about the current or future status of DT.  It doesn't seem like JP/JR/JM playing with MP would change the fact that one other DT member still doesnt get along with him.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1282 on: June 29, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
One of the best parts about this footage (aside from Mike on the kit) is that the vocalist is singing the songs pretty powerfully and in tune. That's...apparently not something you get when you see Dream Theater live these days judging from the videos of this year's shows.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
Bah. It's only the poor quality YouTube footage that makes it sound like he's singing in tune ;)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1284 on: June 29, 2017, 03:08:53 PM »
So refreshing to hear DT songs with MP on drums again. It sounds much better than DT lately.

I may not miss MP in DT but I do miss MP's drumming and drum sound a lot on the current DT.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1285 on: June 29, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
As someone who has seen both DT and Mike this year I can definitely say MP and the guys felt and sounded more DT which is kinda depressing 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1286 on: June 29, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
Bah. It's only the poor quality YouTube footage that makes it sound like he's singing in tune ;)

Yeah except JLB doesn't sound in tune even on Youtube.
It's a shame really, he sounded pretty good at the show I attended, but apparently he's been getting worse ever since.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1287 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
The mirror

https://youtu.be/XeI3ZZ0dhos

Eric nailing the lie solo and Ross and Eric's vocals here are amazing
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:55:47 PM by FOXAN03 »

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1288 on: June 29, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
Holy shit when I was at the Merch stand I was thinking I recognised the 2 girls from somewhere... Just read it was only portnoy's wife and daughter!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1289 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Man, Ross sounds amazing on all of these. I kinda want Mike to make this a regular project now. :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: June 29, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »
After seeing these videos, I'd be much more likely to go see this project than to see Dream Theater. And I don't even really like the 12-Step Suite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1291 on: June 29, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
Man, Ross sounds amazing on all of these. I kinda want Mike to make this a regular project now. :lol

Nah.  That would mean less Haken and Neal Morse Band.  That would be no bueno. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1292 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
I guess I'm the only one with no interest in a Dream Theater cover band playing with Portnoy.  I will say, though, that I highly doubt this will be a successful way for Portnoy to put DT behind him.  I think he'll end up realizing DT was the best band he'll ever be with and miss it more after playing it again then moving on.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1293 on: June 29, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
I think he'll end up realizing DT was the best band he'll ever be with

I think he already realizes that tbh.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1294 on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »
I think he'll end up realizing DT was the best band he'll ever be with

I think he already realizes that tbh.
Yeah, I guess I meant that this little run likely won't quench the thirst for him, it'll make him miss it more.  Just a guess, of course, I have no actual idea.