Author Topic: What are your New Year's Resolutions?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

What are your New Year's Resolutions?
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »
I've never had a NYR before, but this year I decided to make it to practice bass for at least an hour every day. I know these sorts of things generally don't last for very long, but I'm hoping it at least sets up the habit of remembering to practice as often as I can.

Anyway, what are your New Year's Resolutions? (or just things you hope to do better in 2017)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your New Year's Resolutions?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:29:40 AM »
inb4 1080p....

To get skinny :biggrin: . I say this to myself every year, but i actually want to this year. My BMI is over by like 0.1 so apparently i'm "overweight"...

So this year i'm gonna try my best to lose the tum. :getoffmylawn:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:58:04 AM »
Well, I graduate in May after 10 years of college, thank god. I guess my resolution would be to get a job, hopefully where I work now. That's all I want to accomplish at the moment.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:50:34 AM »
My main one is to get myself financially stable, and to save cash, something that's been eluding me for some time.

And of course to stay sober as always. Happy new year bitches!!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
Talk more with confidence in job interviews, now that I know it is possible for me to land an interview, land a job, be satisfied with work life, and play World of Warcraft again.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Get in better shape.

Write my dissertation proposal.

Be awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
Well, I graduate in May after 10 years of college, thank god. I guess my resolution would be to get a job, hopefully where I work now. That's all I want to accomplish at the moment.

Hiya ! :) I know how hard it is to get a job so all the best !

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »
I started my resolution 13 days early. I've been a smoker/tobacco user for 28 years. Tomorrow will be 14 days/2 weeks without a cig. This has been the longest stretch that I've went without a smoke since I was a 15 year old kid. Certain health circumstances have put me in the mind-set that I need to quit, so hopefully this time it sticks.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
I started my resolution 13 days early. I've been a smoker/tobacco user for 28 years. Tomorrow will be 14 days/2 weeks without a cig. This has been the longest stretch that I've went without a smoke since I was a 15 year old kid. Certain health circumstances have put me in the mind-set that I need to quit, so hopefully this time it sticks.

You got this! Great decision.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 7th

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »
Spend less time online and more time enjoying the physical world and all the wonderful things it has to offer.  With that, time to log off! :-)
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »
Spend less time online and more time enjoying the physical world and all the wonderful things it has to offer.  With that, time to log off! :-)

Easy in the summer. Boring as f*** in winter in a small town where nothing is open after 6pm.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »

Awesome man. This friday I hit two years without a smoke, easily one of the best life choices I ever made.

Offline 7th

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »

Easy in the summer. Boring as f*** in winter in a small town where nothing is open after 6pm.

I know.  I live in a very rural area with little nightlife.  I am re-immersing myself into music.  Spent the day writing simple tunes on my acoustic guitar.  Very enjoyable and satisfying feeling even though I am not very good at it.  Of course here I am online after the fact, but hey, I'm not going cold turkey!
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
As soon as Spring arrives - i'm gonna get my motorbike back on the road and i'll be off on that every day. . .

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
Get better control over my health, mentally and physically. Not really a resolution; things I have to do to make sure I'm around for a while.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
My resolution would be to cut back on alcohol, if not cut it out completely.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »

I don't normally do new year's resolutions, but this is pretty close to mine: to cut back on the time spent idly browsing Facebook/YouTube/random news sites every night, and do something more productive. Play guitar, talk to family, do some little software project, fix stuff around the house, meet up with actual real people for coffee..

This might also mean less time spent lurking on DTF - yikes!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
Get better control over my health, mentally and physically. Not really a resolution; things I have to do to make sure I'm around for a while.

i don't care how long i'm around for - I just want it to not suck. Hence why I try to look after myself.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »
i don't care how long i'm around for

Kids have a tendency to change that outlook...
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Yeah my 13 year old bro loves me.

I'm kind of a big deal .  :hat

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Put the phone down when I'm at home. I don't use it a ton, but really don't need to use it at all.

Get back on track keeping below the 24 g of added sugar that is recommended daily. I was doing really well for a couple months before the holidays, but I gave up since there was crap everywhere the last few weeks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
The other day I got up and it was several hours before I even realised my phone was still in my bedroom.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
I always have the same one - read at least 24 books in 12 months - which just so happens to naturally reduce my time watching t.v. or being on-line.

My second one - and a new one for this year - is to avoid poutrage wherever it rears its ugly head and to call it out when I do see/hear it.   And by calling it out I mean mostly to point and laugh.  Life is just too damn short for all of the faux outrage people seem to display 24/7.  My mantra for 2017 is "Get a grip." 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 03:33:42 AM »
I don't really believe in promises. Or maybe it's the word I don't quite fancy.

Anyway, my goal for this year is to keep on developing myself and my self-esteem. In 2016, it took a great dive because of a lot of bad stuff happening.

But this year, I have a new job, a new girlfriend and an awesome relationsship with my niece. I also have a lot of hardships ahead of me but with the help of my family and friends, I'm going to push above that and try to work towards being happy. I believe happiness is a choice and I'm choosing that this year. :tup

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna fucking finish Dark Souls 3.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:23 AM »
People who've quit smoking will roll their eyes at this, but I plan to stop smoking cigs with the exception of camping weekends.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
I don't make promises that I can't keep lol.

All joking aside though, I started making changes to my life in October when my girlfriend of eight years left me. That relationship ending was a wake up call which led to me working on my mental health and in turn my quality of life.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline floydian1975

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
To not reply to threads like these.

:-\

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »
To save money.

I spent almost all my savings on building and furnishing our new home so I'd like to rebuild my savings.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
Starting today i'm cutting out sugar in my tea. Giving up soft drinks as much as possible. Giving up biscuits and snacks.

It'll be difficult but i know I can do it :)

I've never been really fat but I haven't really been skinny for many years now. Always had a but of a paunch.

The problem is replacing biscuits with something savoury as I'm home a lot in the winter - I just tend to nibble out of boredom.

Can anyone recommend anything ?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Drink water. Aside from keeping you properly hydrated, it can also help quell hunger pangs and help you feel more full when you eat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Yes. Tea is mostly water. i'll try to replace drinking cans of pepsi at work to bottles of water.

Although I can have as much tea / coffee as I want.

It's always a pain for me. i dunno why. One year I walked at least 6 miles a day according to my pedometer.

Barely ate anything during the day and after several months of this - i felt no different.

I was probably snacking too much in between - even though i'd hardly call it gorging...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
Kotowboy, what teas do you gravitate to?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
I just got a couple boxes of Green tea with lemon. I like it a lot but I think it gives me acid reflux.

But usually I just have normal breakfast tea with a splash of milk.

I can drink black tea ok but i can't drink black coffee at all. It makes me physically gag.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
Not eating can be just as bad as overeating. If you eat too little, your body begins to store as much as possible for energy that it isn't getting from food, which can ultimately slow and mess up your metabolism.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
I feel the same about cream/milk in my tea or coffee.  Coffee yes but with certain teas I can go without.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC