Author Topic: RIP Princess Leia  (Read 3462 times)

Offline T-ski

RIP Princess Leia
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
Carrie Fisher passed away this morning.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: RIP Princess Leia
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
Aww.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
I really was afraid that this was going to happen. I didn't think she was going to come through after what happened but damnit....
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »
God dammit, 2016. Working overtime to ruin everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »

Seriously. People always say "this year was terrible", but 2016 is in its own league at this point.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »

Seriously. People always say "this year was terrible", but 2016 is in its own league at this point.

I wonder to myself if really this year is no worse than any other year and maybe the reputation just caught on and people started looking for it, but this year really has seemed insane for celebrity deaths, even to the very end.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
May the princess rest in peace. Awful. So many people leaving us this year. Just crazy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »

I wonder to myself if really this year is no worse than any other year and maybe the reputation just caught on and people started looking for it, but this year really has seemed insane for celebrity deaths, even to the very end.

MSN has a slideshow of notable celebrity deaths and it's 141 slides long.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »
She was a massive part of my childhood. Its definitely a shame. 60 is way too young to go.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »
I had hopes that she would pull through after news of a stable situation after her heart attack   :'(

I'm also a bit ashamed in thinking not only about her, but also about Episode VII, I feel selfish in wondering right now "Damn, no old Luke and Leila reunion".  I think they will retire her character and have her die off screen, no way they would CGI her.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »

Well every Academy Awards has an " In memory "  portion so famous people pass away every year but this year it seems to be a lot more high profile people.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »
I had hopes that she would pull through after news of a stable situation after her heart attack   :'(

I'm also a bit ashamed in thinking not only about her, but also about Episode VII, I feel selfish in wondering right now "Damn, no old Luke and Leila reunion".  I think they will retire her character and have her die off screen, no way they would CGI her.

She may be in Episode 8. They finished filming some time ago. Still time to re-write Episode 9.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »
So, now, 2016, it's every day?!? Come to an end, quickly!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
Lest we be too sad on this day, watch this short clip to appreciate her wit and humor.

https://youtu.be/lZ97s396kb0
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »

She may be in Episode 8. They finished filming some time ago. Still time to re-write Episode 9.

Yeah, I just saw the news that she had actually finished filming.

For sure the movie will be dedicated to her memory.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
The reality of this all is that 2016 is not some.harbinger of death, or some spectral slayer. We are now in the era of stars of the past 40 years reaching ages of mortality, be it through age, illness, or tragedy. No one lives forever, and we are now entering into a time period that more directly affects the times in which we grew up. Not trying to be pessimistic or gloomy, but this won't end with the passing of 2016. It's the nature of life, albeit an unpleasant one.

In the same breath, the author of Watership Down and the drummer from Weather Report both also passed away.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »

In the same breath, the author of Watership Down and the drummer from Weather Report both also passed away.

Yes but Douglas Adams was 96. Not so much of a curse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
*Richard
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
Fuck 2016.

Carrie Fisher was Leia but she was so much more than that. If you have some time to kill watch her one woman show "Wishful Drinking": https://youtu.be/Pn_WBBAvZ_Q
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
*Richard

Oh yeah - Douglas Adams did Hitch Hikers Guide. He died ages ago.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »

Imagine Next Year...

It's inevitable though, the ones the masses grew up on loving are now in that age and can go anytime. Life isn't set,  and this year proved it.

Sad to see the Princess Leia go though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 7th

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »
Very sad indeed.  60...too damn young.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline bundy

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
The reality of this all is that 2016 is not some.harbinger of death, or some spectral slayer. We are now in the era of stars of the past 40 years reaching ages of mortality, be it through age, illness, or tragedy. No one lives forever, and we are now entering into a time period that more directly affects the times in which we grew up. Not trying to be pessimistic or gloomy, but this won't end with the passing of 2016. It's the nature of life, albeit an unpleasant one.

Definitely agree. What's been sad about 2016 though is that many of these people (Prince, Bowie, George Michael, Rick Parfitt and now Carrie Fisher) were not old, but only what is now considered middle aged.

RIP Carrie Fisher - Gone too soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »
I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I obviously recognize how iconic she is because of her role in those films.

She had some of my favorite lines in When Harry Met Sally.

R.I.P.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 09:10:28 PM »
Indeed there is never really any good time for someone to pass. There were definitely more shocking deaths this year than I can remember, but I also remember back in 2003 there was a run of a lot of famous deaths. Like I said, it happens in generations. That isn't to say it explains why so many had to go so young, but it does show how the passing of generations can move in waves. It sucks.

But I was also reminded, through a friend's Facebook post today, just how unfair it can be to label 2016 as "the killer." A friend, who is a local comedian, posted a status saying that Facebook has become "who has 2016 killed today?" referencing Carrie Fisher, and one of his friends emotionally went off, not on him, but on the trend of cursing this year for "taking so many celebrities." To most of us, today we lost Carrie Fisher (and two other celebrities), but this girl happened to lose her mother, suddenly and unexpectedly. And she did not attack my friend at all, but in her grief, her emotions got the better of her and she felt offended, because people were cursing this year for taking people they barely knew, while she sits there grieving over her own mother. I can see her point, and to her credit she kept her composure and clarity within what I can only imagine to be immense, immeasurable grief and sadness.

It's just something to consider, in the grand scheme of things.

And please don't take this thought vomit as any sort of detraction on Carrie Fisher's passing or anything of that sort. Just what I felt was a rather important bit of perspective.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »
Sad news indeed. When I heard she had a massive heart attack though I feared the worst.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »
Indeed.  Other than that other famous scene, she MADE that film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
 :corn

Never seen it! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »
Indeed.  Other than that other famous scene, she MADE that film.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but she was definitely great in it.  And she has the best line in it:

"I just want you to know, I will never want that wagon wheel coffee table."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
Most people will always just see her as Leia, but putting that to the side, I really enjoyed her other roles.

The Burbs
When Harry met sally
Even that little scene in Austin powers is hilarious
Blues brothers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:46:20 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
Her acting in The Force Awakens was still pretty good considering how bat-sith crazy she seemed in real life.