Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number  (Read 260022 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number
« Reply #3255 on: May 12, 2020, 10:20:19 PM »
The Office (US version) is popular enough that I would have assumed most would get the reference.
It still surprises me to know that there are people that have never seen The Office.

Except for Tim. That doesn't surprise anyone. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3256 on: May 12, 2020, 10:23:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, why? There are a ton of shows on TV, and other outlets competing for time (film, video games...). It has never occurred to me for a minute to watch it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: May 13, 2020, 05:24:19 AM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:36:23 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3258 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:58 AM »
Re: first image. This happened in Kansas as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xK90m9_Ni4
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3259 on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
Out of curiosity, why? There are a ton of shows on TV, and other outlets competing for time (film, video games...). It has never occurred to me for a minute to watch it.

I understand what the hipster answer is to this question ("I don't care what the plebes watch, I watch what I want to watch!"), but in all honesty and candor, do you ever hear buzz about something and want to just sample it to see what's the what?   That was a pretty big show for a while and when Steve Carrell sort of hit the big time it elevated it even more.  Then add to it the "will he or won't he?" to the last season/finale, it wasn't a blip on the radar.

And if you're set on not dipping your toe into the cesspool that is general pop culture (I'm kidding with you, not mocking you), then you might want to give the UK version a whirl.  I actually think that's funnier. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3260 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:02 AM »
I've also never seen The Office. At least the American version.

I watched an episode or two of the British version and didn't care much for it, so I just moved on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: May 13, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
Well, you have to really like Ricky Gervais and that droll, dead-pan sense of humor to like it. I just think it's so clever. 

Online Adami

« Reply #3262 on: May 13, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
Well, you have to really like Ricky Gervais and that droll, dead-pan sense of humor to like it. I just think it's so clever.

I actually do. Still, just not for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3263 on: May 13, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »
Re: first image. This happened in Kansas as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xK90m9_Ni4

"fixin to blow it up".   :rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3264 on: May 13, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
Is this a reference that a significant percentage of people would get? I know it's a different time, and there are many more viewing options, but I feel with a show like Seinfeld, you didn't have to have ever watch it to get some of the references. The Soup Nazi for example transcended the show, and people who never watched a minute of Seinfeld would get that reference in the 90s.

I didn't regularly watch Seinfeld, but I caught some episodes -- particularly during the second half of the show's run because it was on Thursday night following Mad About You and/or Friends.  I knew about the "soup nazi" despite not having seen the episode when it first ran, and my guess is that significant percentage (i.e., greater than 50) of U.S. adults had at least heard of the "soup nazi" even if they didn't watch the show.  The first three seasons of Seinfeld ranked #46, #42 and #25 in the Nielsen ratings and averaged between 17.5 and 21 million viewers.  The last five seasons were all in the top 3 and garnered in excess of 25 million viewers per episode.

The Office, by contrast, never ranked better than 41st and never garnered more than 9.04 million viewers.  I'd lay money that, if you polled U.S. Americans and asked them to identify a person who is in eastern Pennsylvania, assistant to the regional manager of a small paper company, a volunteer sheriff's deputy and who owns a beet farm, you'd get no better than 15-20% recognition of the character and maybe 25-30% would know it has something to do with the Office.

It still surprises me to know that there are people that have never seen The Office.

Right?  I'd bet that the majority of adults have never seen an episode.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3265 on: May 13, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »

...but in all honesty and candor, do you ever hear buzz about something and want to just sample it to see what's the what?   That was a pretty big show for a while and when Steve Carrell sort of hit the big time it elevated it even more.  Then add to it the "will he or won't he?" to the last season/finale, it wasn't a blip on the radar.

I admittedly am living under a culture rock, but I never heard any 'buzz.' I knew it was first a show in the UK, then here. I knew it had Steve Carell and the dude with the glasses in the picture a while back, but that was it. I have a good sense of what I will enjoy, and TV comedies over the past 10 years or so are low on the list.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3266 on: May 13, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
Half this forum is not going to get that  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Adami

« Reply #3268 on: May 13, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »
Those glasses are great. I love them 3000.

MIXING REFERENCES!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3269 on: May 13, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
That show always seemed like it should have been funnier than it was.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3270 on: May 13, 2020, 10:52:50 AM »
True.  But humor is selective as well as subjective.  I try not to get all upset if I don't get a joke, but I do like to at least understand it.  If it depends on knowing something about a TV show or movie or whatever that I've never seen, okay.  At least I know why I don't get it and why fans would find it funny.

What bugs me is when people aren't just surprised, but seem actually offended by it.  "You've never seen The Office?!  Everybody watches that show!  Everybody I know watches that show!"

Not saying that's what's happening here.  That's a hyperbolic reaction of course, but not too different from what I've run into.  Like, there are songs I've had to learn for my band that I've never heard before, and some of my bandmates are "How can you not know this song?  It was on the radio every hour back in the 90's."  Well there you go, I don't know if I ever turned on the radio in the 90's.  Why would I?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »
I want to be clear; I'm not pulling that card.  That "everyone watches that!" card.  It's really more that it's a common reference HERE, as much as anything.   Plus we're all sort of the same age, we're sort of the same in terms of popular things, and the other players - Rainn Wilson, Mindy Kaling, John what's-his-name - have all been in other things that have been mentioned...  I meant no offense or disrespect, I just thought it interesting. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3272 on: May 13, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
I'm not offended.  I'm just explaining my reaction.

Joke.
I don't get it.
It's a reference to The Office.
Cool.  Still don't get it, but I will try to carry on.

I know Steve Carell is/was in The Office, U.S. version.  I know Ricky Gervais is/was in the U.K. version.  That's about it.  I don't know know who Rainn Wilson or Mindy Kaling are, and probably not John what's-his-name either.  Between regular TV, cable stuff, original programs on pay channels and now online-only services, there must be thousands of shows out there.  I watch maybe three shows regularly at any given time.  The vast, vast majority of jokes based on knowing something about a TV show will go right past me.  It's just mathematics.

Now that it's been explained, I might recognize someone referring to themselves as the assistant manager of something (I've already forgotten) as a reference to The Office, but more likely I'll just take them at their word, that they're actually the assistant manager of something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: May 13, 2020, 12:41:57 PM »
HAHAHAHA, that last part made me laugh.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3274 on: May 13, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »

...but in all honesty and candor, do you ever hear buzz about something and want to just sample it to see what's the what?   That was a pretty big show for a while and when Steve Carrell sort of hit the big time it elevated it even more.  Then add to it the "will he or won't he?" to the last season/finale, it wasn't a blip on the radar.

I admittedly am living under a culture rock, but I never heard any 'buzz.' I knew it was first a show in the UK, then here. I knew it had Steve Carell and the dude with the glasses in the picture a while back, but that was it. I have a good sense of what I will enjoy, and TV comedies over the past 10 years or so are low on the list.

I heard some "buzz," but not a lot (nothing approaching what I heard about Game of Thrones, for example).  I knew Steve Carrell was on it but couldn't have told you the name of a single other person on the show (until Jenna Fisher got a bunch of pub during last year's Stanley Cup playoffs).  I recall no "buzz" about the finale and didn't know there was a "will he or won't he" plot line (or who "he" is and what "he" did or didn't do).  I'm always on the lookout for a good comedy, but what I did see didn't incline me to watch more.  The only thing I can recall was an episode in which Steve Carrell's character and another character were going to visit a client (or going somewhere).  Carrell was driving and using his new GPS unit, which directed him to drive into a lake.  He pulled up to the lake and the other person was saying that they should turn around because the GPS was wrong.  Carrell, however, insisted that they should proceed because the GPS must know something they don't.  I believe they actually did drive into the lake, and that pretty much soured me from seeking out anything more.

I want to be clear; I'm not pulling that card.  That "everyone watches that!" card.  It's really more that it's a common reference HERE, as much as anything.   Plus we're all sort of the same age, we're sort of the same in terms of popular things, and the other players - Rainn Wilson, Mindy Kaling, John what's-his-name - have all been in other things that have been mentioned...  I meant no offense or disrespect, I just thought it interesting. 

But is it really "common" if the show never drew more than 10 million viewers (barely more than 3% of the U.S. population in 2010) and never ranked in the top 40 most watched shows?

Carrell...I know him.

Gervais...I know him from other things but didn't know he was on the Office.

Wilson...literally never heard of her.

Kaling...I recall she had her own show a few years ago.  I seem to recall seeing a few minutes of it and didn't think it was funny.

A lot of this sort of discussion happened with Game of Thrones also, but it doesn't surprise me to run into someone who never saw it.  There are simply too many viewing options these days.  I can appreciate what T-Ski was doing, though.

It he had done this I'd have gotten it instantaneously:  I'm in advertising after doing statistical factoring and data reconfiguration for about 8 years.  I live in Westchester, NY with my wife and adopted twins.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3275 on: May 13, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »
A lot of this sort of discussion happened with Game of Thrones also, but it doesn't surprise me to run into someone who never saw it.  There are simply too many viewing options these days.  I can appreciate what T-Ski was doing, though.

I haven’t seen a single second of GoT.  :biggrin:

It he had done this I'd have gotten it instantaneously:  I'm in advertising after doing statistical factoring and data reconfiguration for about 8 years.  I live in Westchester, NY with my wife and adopted twins.

I don’t get this reference.  :lol
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3276 on: May 13, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »
I think I get that reference
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3277 on: May 13, 2020, 03:26:04 PM »

I heard some "buzz," but not a lot (nothing approaching what I heard about Game of Thrones, for example).  I knew Steve Carrell was on it but couldn't have told you the name of a single other person on the show (until Jenna Fisher got a bunch of pub during last year's Stanley Cup playoffs).  I recall no "buzz" about the finale and didn't know there was a "will he or won't he" plot line (or who "he" is and what "he" did or didn't do).  I'm always on the lookout for a good comedy, but what I did see didn't incline me to watch more.  The only thing I can recall was an episode in which Steve Carrell's character and another character were going to visit a client (or going somewhere).  Carrell was driving and using his new GPS unit, which directed him to drive into a lake.  He pulled up to the lake and the other person was saying that they should turn around because the GPS was wrong.  Carrell, however, insisted that they should proceed because the GPS must know something they don't.  I believe they actually did drive into the lake, and that pretty much soured me from seeking out anything more.

But is it really "common" if the show never drew more than 10 million viewers (barely more than 3% of the U.S. population in 2010) and never ranked in the top 40 most watched shows?

Carrell...I know him.

Gervais...I know him from other things but didn't know he was on the Office.

Wilson...literally never heard of her.

Kaling...I recall she had her own show a few years ago.  I seem to recall seeing a few minutes of it and didn't think it was funny.

You're vastly underestimating the number of people who have watched the show on Netflix. Plenty more are familiar just via clips from youtube without ever regularly watching the show.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3278 on: May 13, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
You're vastly underestimating the number of people who have watched the show on Netflix. Plenty more are familiar just via clips from youtube without ever regularly watching the show.

Easy to write; impossible to prove.  Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers and, even if it did, it would be impossible to distinguish who had and hadn't watched the show regularly.  And, while YT gives a view count, it's impossible to know how many views are by someone who never saw the video before.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3279 on: May 13, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »

I don’t get this reference.  :lol

It might be "analysis," rather than "factoring," but it's a reference to Chandler Bing from Friends.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3280 on: May 13, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »

Easy to write; impossible to prove.  Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers and, even if it did, it would be impossible to distinguish who had and hadn't watched the show regularly.  And, while YT gives a view count, it's impossible to know how many views are by someone who never saw the video before.

I mean, sure, if we decide that the Nielsen ratings are the only viable way to prove the popularity of a show (which is kind of bizarre in itself, given how poorly it reflects the watching habits of a significant portion of the population for at least the last decade), then we can chalk this up as a loss for The Office. We can assume Netflix paid millions of dollars to keep hosting the show just because Ted Sarandos really loved it, or that they report it as one of their most-watched shows just because they don't want us to realize how popular their shitty anime really is, or that every Office video on youtube has millions of views because one dude just sits there and refreshes it over and over. But that feels silly to me.

I get it, you don't like [popular thing]. That's perfectly fine, and presumably is a trait a majority of us here share, because, uh... we're here in the first place, on a forum for a progressive metal (the last word of the genre already turned off a ton of people, and the first one finishes off most of the rest of those) band. But denying [popular thing] is popular strikes me as a strange hill to decorate with your corpse. Personally, I don't like The Beatles. I've never really heard any of their stuff I care for, and if you asked me to hum a Beatles tune with a gun to my head, soon my corpse would be decorating someplace as well. I don't get Tik Tok. I don't understand it. I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality whenever someone mentions it. But I'm not going to deny these things are popular just because I don't like them, or maybe wished they weren't, because it would be silly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
You guys are sure funny in the funny thread.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3282 on: May 13, 2020, 06:56:46 PM »

Right? Ffs man.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3283 on: May 13, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »

Right? Ffs man.

No Kidding.  Get Zydar STAT.  He is like unfunny antidote.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »
I'm on it. Lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: May 14, 2020, 12:09:43 AM »
What the hell, guys :lol

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3286 on: May 14, 2020, 02:59:35 AM »
"Dad" looks like JayOct'm in about 20 years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »
If it matters to anyone (and it shouldn't), I just had my "The Office" moment in the Rush thread.   Long discussion about Jerry Stiller and his passing, and to be honest, as much a Rush fan as I am, I was blissfully unaware of the association (I had not seen the last couple of tours, and I listen to the live CDs, not watch the DVDs).   I vaguely remember clips of "I Love You Man", but I'm not a huge Jason Segel/Paul Rudd/Judd Apatow guy, so...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3288 on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
File under 'memes with specific references' but this makes me laugh a lot

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"