Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number  (Read 260755 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number
« Reply #2310 on: March 02, 2019, 06:55:53 AM »
He had a percussion right?!?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2311 on: March 03, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
No, I think it was a stomach virus. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2312 on: March 03, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »

That's my loudest laugh in 2019 so far

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2313 on: March 04, 2019, 05:08:40 AM »

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:14:14 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2314 on: March 04, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2315 on: March 04, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
Funny but true, and also a little sad.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2316 on: March 04, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
That last one reminded me of this.

I'm glad I came out of college debt free.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2317 on: March 04, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
My student loans came from my parents, for a promise to repay them.  I never did, so theoretically I still owe them that money, but my mom is gone and I don't think my dad even cares.  He's literally never mentioned it in the 30 years since then.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2318 on: March 05, 2019, 06:42:42 AM »
I wish Student Loans weren't just blindly given out. When I went to get my house mortgage last year, there was a period of scrutiny where they made sure I would be good for it, or at least had a fighting chance of paying it off.

With college, its like: Hey 18 year old. Here's $60,000 for your degree in whatever, free and clear. Regardless of whether that degree will get you a job that generates good income. Oh, and by the way (fine print you can never default on these loans ever)

And at 18 I didn't know what the hell was going on, in any way. Out of convenience I went to community college (not because it was a business savy move), but thank god I did, since it saved a ton of cash, and let me fart around for 2 years trying to figure out what I actually wanted to do and was dirt cheap.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: March 05, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
I wish Student Loans weren't just blindly given out. When I went to get my house mortgage last year, there was a period of scrutiny where they made sure I would be good for it, or at least had a fighting chance of paying it off.

With college, its like: Hey 18 year old. Here's $60,000 for your degree in whatever, free and clear. Regardless of whether that degree will get you a job that generates good income. Oh, and by the way (fine print you can never default on these loans ever)

And at 18 I didn't know what the hell was going on, in any way. Out of convenience I went to community college (not because it was a business savy move), but thank god I did, since it saved a ton of cash, and let me fart around for 2 years trying to figure out what I actually wanted to do and was dirt cheap.

Phoenix, this isn't really intended AT you, but you made a point that I hear a lot: "I was 18, I didn't know!" 

But you know enough to:
- Vote
- Buy and own a gun (in some jurisidictions)
- Marry
- Have children
- Join the military
- Buy cold medicine with that shit in it that I forget (but that's locked up behind the counter)
- Buy cigarettes

Why can you do these things?  Because you're - allegedly - of sound mind and able to make capable decisions.  I don't think people quite realize how much it clashes with a very basic premise of our entire civilization - nope, not being hyperbolic here - to say that "you will be held accountable and responsible for your decisions... except when they don't quite work out like you planned and then you get to go back on them."    What happens when that same 18 year old gets a girl pregnant and makes the same claim?   "I was 18; I didn't know what the hell was going on, in any way!".   

Look, this isn't an absolute; there are things about the student loan biz that needs tweaking.  No doubt.  I think there could be reforms in terms of interest, in terms of payment plans, in terms of bankruptcies, etc.   But to just say "yeah, I meant it then, but not now.  Sorry!" isn't really in the best interest of SOCIETY, even if it is in the best interest of that individual. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2320 on: March 05, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
I almost started talking about that, but my original post was getting wordy, so I left that part out.

I agree with you. I hold 18 year olds 100% responsible for their actions, and I hold 18 year old me accountable to my actions as well.

Regardless of that, I wish there was better mentorship for kids as they are becoming young adults.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:01:30 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:06 AM »
I almost started talking about that, but my original post was getting wordy, so I left that part out.

I agree with you. I hold 18 year olds 100% responsible for their actions, and I hold 18 year old me accountable to my actions as well.

Regardless of that, I wish there was better mentorship for kids as they are becoming young adults.

Well, on that I agree; why we haven't replaced the old "Home Ec" class with a more broad, more relevant "Life Economics" class or something like that, is beyond me.  How to do a checkbook.  How to compare loans.  What goes into buying a home (or renting one).  How to change the oil on your car.  Dumb shit that we all need to do, but we just seem to muddle through as we get there.   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2322 on: March 05, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was a reckless dumbass when I was 18. My train of thought never went beyond "How much fun will this be?" and "How will this make me look in the eyes of any girls present?". I couldn't describe to you how compounding interest worked if my life depended on it. Hell, I'm 30 and 4.5 years into a mortgage, and I still don't know what half the terms mean.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2323 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was a reckless dumbass when I was 18.

I was the poster boy for 'self destructive'....if something 'good' happened to or for me I HAD to make sure to destroy it as quickly and as dramatic as possible. Such a Fn dumba$$ who thought he knew everything.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2324 on: March 05, 2019, 08:59:20 AM »

Phoenix, this isn't really intended AT you, but you made a point that I hear a lot: "I was 18, I didn't know!" 

But you know enough to:
- Vote
- Marry
- Have children
- Join the military
- Buy cold medicine with that shit in it that I forget (but that's locked up behind the counter)
- Buy cigarettes

Why can you do these things?  Because you're - allegedly - of sound mind and able to make capable decisions.  I don't think people quite realize how much it clashes with a very basic premise of our entire civilization - nope, not being hyperbolic here - to say that "you will be held accountable and responsible for your decisions... except when they don't quite work out like you planned and then you get to go back on them."    What happens when that same 18 year old gets a girl pregnant and makes the same claim?   "I was 18; I didn't know what the hell was going on, in any way!".   

Look, this isn't an absolute; there are things about the student loan biz that needs tweaking.  No doubt.  I think there could be reforms in terms of interest, in terms of payment plans, in terms of bankruptcies, etc.   But to just say "yeah, I meant it then, but not now.  Sorry!" isn't really in the best interest of SOCIETY, even if it is in the best interest of that individual.
That goes both ways, though. I could say that 18 year olds have no business doing any of that stuff. Bunch of know-nothing knuckleheads if you ask me. However, neither angle is right. The world is full of 15 year olds that have a better head on their shoulders than a similar amount of 25 year olds. While there is no right answer, I would go so far as to say "you're 18, you should have known better" is very definitely the wrong answer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: March 05, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was a reckless dumbass when I was 18. My train of thought never went beyond "How much fun will this be?" and "How will this make me look in the eyes of any girls present?". I couldn't describe to you how compounding interest worked if my life depended on it. Hell, I'm 30 and 4.5 years into a mortgage, and I still don't know what half the terms mean.

Does that ever really change??

I remember being at a party my step son threw when he announced he was joining the military.  A couple of his friends were playing quarters and there's always that pull to be "BMOC".  I have to consciously tell myself to sort of stand down, it's not your time anymore. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: March 05, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »

But you know enough to:
- Vote
- Marry
- Have children
- Join the military
- Buy cigarettes

That goes both ways, though. I could say that 18 year olds have no business doing any of that stuff. Bunch of know-nothing knuckleheads if you ask me. However, neither angle is right. The world is full of 15 year olds that have a better head on their shoulders than a similar amount of 25 year olds. While there is no right answer, I would go so far as to say "you're 18, you should have known better" is very definitely the wrong answer.

Well, I'm not really saying that, becuase you're right, "dumbass" knows no age boundary. I think what I am saying, though, is that absent something illegal on the part of the lenders, they DO have the right to rely on the competency of the person they're going to be in business with, and they do get to assume you know what you're doing.  You and I agree that the "should be" and the "reality" are sometimes very different.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2328 on: March 05, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
This thread went from "funny" to "Serious" real quick.

I think the main thing is that high school does not prepares you for " the real world". Most people get out of High School barely knowing what school they want to go in, but know nothing about Taxes, Finances, Jobs security or anything or the sort. Then, Once you make it to college you are expected to know all these things (Specially if you go to school full time and have a part time job).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2329 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
I've replied to the student loans/predatory lending aspect here: Caveat Emptor, irrumator praetor matrem
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2330 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:53 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
:lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: March 05, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »

This was me 18-25, I started getting financially mature around 25. When I got my current job which is at an investment bank I finally have a good grip on finances :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: March 06, 2019, 02:49:02 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2334 on: March 06, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
True :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2335 on: March 06, 2019, 08:33:49 AM »
Gonna have to get one of these.....I'm guaranteed once a night, and have been increasingly seeing twice a night trips.

**edit**   ordered   :tup

What do you think?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
Gonna have to get one of these.....I'm guaranteed once a night, and have been increasingly seeing twice a night trips.

What do you think?

I love it! But I will say that there hasn't been one day since that my wife hasn't given me a very comical, sarcastic comment about it. One of my favorites was when she said with a straight face, very serious that she really loved the way the LED light made her urine look forest green....that she didn't know how she lived without one of these for so long.

But the habit of flipping the bright shower light on to take a leak at 2:00 in the morning is near broken now.....

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2337 on: March 06, 2019, 10:14:50 AM »

this is also true of other things.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: March 06, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »

What do you think?

I love it! But I will say that there hasn't been one day since that my wife hasn't given me a very comical, sarcastic comment about it. One of my favorites was when she said with a straight face, very serious that she really loved the way the LED light made her urine look forest green....that she didn't know how she lived without one of these for so long.

But the habit of flipping the bright shower light on to take a leak at 2:00 in the morning is near broken now.....

:lol would she rather green piss in the bowl or yellow piss on the toilet/floor?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2339 on: March 06, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »

Not super funny, but amusing that someone would take the time to collect all these.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2340 on: March 06, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2341 on: March 06, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
I think half of those are current DTF members or parents of current DTF members.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2342 on: March 06, 2019, 02:15:03 PM »
Wild man by night. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2343 on: March 06, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »

That's my loudest laugh in 2019 so far
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: March 06, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
"Most of my friends call me "Big Phil"."