Author Topic: Parenting/marital advice  (Read 49682 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Parenting/marital advice
« Reply #665 on: May 26, 2022, 08:25:27 AM »
I had all sides telling me, "Why are you friends with them?"

I used to hear that too.

High school can be a bitch. Everything just seems so magnified and intense these days.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #666 on: May 26, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
For sure. You want to fit in but, I found out that the people who accept you for you are your true friends.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #667 on: May 26, 2022, 09:00:38 AM »
Gary, I remember that feeling as well.  I think over time, I decided that I would just be me. I had friends that were jocks(self explanatory), heads(Stoners), scholastic(nerds) & musicians.

I had all sides telling me, "Why are you friends with them?"  I always said, "Good people are good people." 

I hope you son finds the clarity like I did as a teen and realize to be me.  Not to what I should think I should be.

That's how I was.  I was on the wrestling team, but not cool enough to hang out with the jocks.  I was a metalhead, but not delinquent enough to hang out with the other metalheads.  I never belonged to any popular group in school.  Over time, I became comfortable being me, going to concerts alone, and bucking whatever was trendy in favor of just doing what I liked.

I met my best friends in college and had the time of my life - those were the guys whose weddings I stood up in, not anyone from my high school.  I left my hometown and moved away when the kids from school became the new townies, staying in town to raise their own kids there.  I wanted no part of being around them after being shunned in school.

I always remind people of that - that you can always find friends later in life as well as when you're young.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2022, 10:53:57 AM »
Gary, I remember that feeling as well.  I think over time, I decided that I would just be me. I had friends that were jocks(self explanatory), heads(Stoners), scholastic(nerds) & musicians.

I had all sides telling me, "Why are you friends with them?"  I always said, "Good people are good people." 

I hope you son finds the clarity like I did as a teen and realize to be me.  Not to what I should think I should be.

That's how I was.  I was on the wrestling team, but not cool enough to hang out with the jocks.  I was a metalhead, but not delinquent enough to hang out with the other metalheads.  I never belonged to any popular group in school.  Over time, I became comfortable being me, going to concerts alone, and bucking whatever was trendy in favor of just doing what I liked.

I met my best friends in college and had the time of my life - those were the guys whose weddings I stood up in, not anyone from my high school.  I left my hometown and moved away when the kids from school became the new townies, staying in town to raise their own kids there.  I wanted no part of being around them after being shunned in school.

I always remind people of that - that you can always find friends later in life as well as when you're young.
it's been my experience that people more often get their lifelong friends from post-secondary school vs high-school (or elementary).  Though, I've got mine from DTF.   ;)

High School is just such an ... awkward? ... time of life to form those kinds of mature and lasting connections and relationships.  I could be off base here, but I know more people who have more friendships in their adult years stem from college vs high school.

Not that this is a good message for Gary's son, but high school was a period of my life that I tolerated and just made it through; University was where I thrived.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2022, 10:59:51 AM »
...but high school was a period of my life that I tolerated and just made it through; University was where I thrived.

I wouldn't say high school was a time I merely "tolerated," but I can identify with your major point.  Same here, for the most part. 

Every time this thread is bumped, I cringe a bit and have to fight off an urge to pop in and remind everyone that this was not meant to be a serious thread at all, and was started just tongue in cheek to laughingly vent about a specific situation.  But if others are getting something out of actually discussing things that are in line with my far-too-serious thread title, that's great.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2022, 11:40:13 AM »
Every time this thread is bumped, I cringe a bit and have to fight off an urge to pop in and remind everyone that this was not meant to be a serious thread at all, and was started just tongue in cheek to laughingly vent about a specific situation.  But if others are getting something out of actually discussing things that are in line with my far-too-serious thread title, that's great.  :tup

Sorry Bosk...I don't know if I was the one who derailed it a while back or not.....I think maybe I was....I know at the time I was looking for a thread to vent and decompress in and this title seemed like the place to do it.

Just looked at the OG post and yeah.....definitely a 180 from the intention I guess.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
Hey, that's okay.  Like I said, it wasn't the intent, but if people find it actually helpful, that's great. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »
For sure. You want to fit in but, I found out that the people who accept you for you are your true friends.

I figured that out, too, but I wish I figured that out about 20 years earlier...   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »

I figured that out, too, but I wish I figured that out about 20 years earlier...

A lot of those things my parents would tell me as a kid, that as a kid you can't really relate or even believe, were true.  Things like high school does not define who you are.  But when you're a child, it's all you know so it's hard to see and understand how life plays out. I just don't know how you can convey the importance of yourself over trying to be "cool" to a kid, because I know from myself, it's just not something you can comprehend at that age. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2022, 12:20:28 PM »
...but high school was a period of my life that I tolerated and just made it through; University was where I thrived.

I wouldn't say high school was a time I merely "tolerated," but I can identify with your major point.  Same here, for the most part. 

Tolerated wasn't the best / most accurate word - there were more than a few good/great moments, but looking back on it now, there was more aspects of it that I am more than happy to have left far in the rearview mirror.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2022, 12:42:40 PM »
I think I'm in pretty rare company when I can say that five of my closest friends I've known for over 25-30 years. Two of them I've known and been buddies with since second grade....and the other three we met in 7th grade when elementary schools combined for middle school.

I talk to them daily on our group texts....and the app 'Marco Polo'......we all see each other at least once a month, sometimes more. I haven't met many people who have had a group of close friends like that for that long so I consider myself blessed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:31 PM »
Gary, I hope today has gone well for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2022, 07:12:56 PM »
Gary, I still have a friend that we hand from 5th grade and 3 friends from HS that still get together. 

Edit: 5 other friends from my teen years from work that we are in each other's lives.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2022, 07:14:24 PM »
Gary, I hope today has gone well for you.

I can’t tell you how great it feels to have him back home. It was killing me thinking about him being alone in a strange place surrounded by strangers……I know it needed to be done but it was mental torture. It’s going to be nice to sleep tonight finally.

The day itself has went well…..his brothers were stoked to see him…..we all spent quite a bit of time together and now we’re just relaxing.

Thanks for asking Tim.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2022, 07:15:41 PM »
Gary, I still have a friend that we hand from 5th grade and 3 friends from HS that still get together. 

Edit: 5 other friends from my teen years from work that we are in each other's lives.

That’s awesome Joe! I don’t hear that a lot in general…..but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were multiple folks on this board who have a group like that as well given the quality of folks here.  :biggrin:

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #680 on: May 27, 2022, 06:32:52 PM »
Every time I see this topic is updated, I hope it's not a post from Gary. So heartbreaking. I don't know you, but from what I've read here, it seems you're doing all you can. I pray he gets the help he needs and for some peace for your family. I'm glad you are able/willing to post about this difficult situation here. Take care.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2022, 06:21:40 PM »
I hope for the best for your son (and you and the rest of your family). It's so sad to hear that he doesn't like himself and I hope somehow something will get through to him.  He likely hasn't done a thing to warrant not being in the "in" crowd; that's just how it goes. And he's likely done nothing so bad that he shouldn't like himself.  If he is a person that treats others with kindness, that's all he needs to be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: September 26, 2022, 07:26:28 PM »
So as the unofficial marriage thread, this commercial literally had me laughing out loud..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC-UiK-NmI

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #683 on: September 27, 2022, 03:56:29 AM »
So as the unofficial marriage thread, this commercial literally had me laughing out loud..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC-UiK-NmI

I tried this move before. I remember showing texts to a partner before proving what I said was correct and it only resulted in them getting madder at me.

So even when i won, I lost  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: September 29, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »
So over the past couple of days a few forum members have reached out privately to see how things have been going with my son.....it was kind of weird as the timing was coincidental yet within a day or two of each other....so...here's a little synopsis of how things have been going....sorry if this turns out to be a long post.

How I describe it right now is 'three steps forward, two steps back'. Just as it seems like we're turning a corner or things have improved and we look to be past some hurdles something will happen that derails the progress. It's typically a self harm / cutting instance after multiple weeks of nothing and it's usually his response to something stressful. He just can't seem to implement the coping mechanisms 100% of the time. It's heartbreaking but there are some successes.....but, it's just not a done deal.

Ever since we had the issue with him in May where we had to hospitalize him he's been fixated on a particular kid and insistent that had that kid not gotten busted with the vape pen which then led to him being discovered to have some serious things he'd been lying about....that had that kid not gotten in trouble his life would still be fine. Everything bad that's happened since then in his life in his mind is this other kids fault. He's had an unhealthy perspective on it as he's blamed that kid for everything.

We've tried to work with him and let him know that his poor decisions have led him to encounter the trials he's facing.....not that kid telling on everyone. Yet, he has this refusal to accept that his actions have led to his challenges. This all culminated two weeks ago into him attacking that kid in the hallway of his school. He grabbed the kid from behind, briefly choked him and told him 'you are not safe here' then shoved him into a locker  :censored :(

As you can imagine....he was suspended from school for a week AND the parents of said kid filed a restraining order against him so he was served that and we have a court date on the 11th to see if it gets lifted then or continues.

Obviously I was none to pleased with my son attacking someone for no reason so he has faced some severe consequences at home with the loss of most his privileges (computer time, phone, gaming etc) and now has forced us to have him watched or essentially baby sat in any instance when we're not around.

He has insisted that the counseling and therapy doesn't work....yet, we have explained to him that it hasn't worked because he's yet to buy in to what he's being taught. It's all been half measures with him to this point. After multiple conversations with him we've gotten an assurance from him that he's going to really try with his therapy and counseling now....and, we have found an intensive DBT Dialetical Behavior Therapy treatment that we are enrolling him in. It's a (6) week program, M-T from 4-6pm and Saturdays 9-11am.

We love on him, we listen to him, we get him every form of help we can....frankly, we're at our wits end. It's taking a toll on my wife and I for sure, it's just 'hard' there's no other way to explain it. We have our other two sons who are enjoying great successes in school and their activities and that offers some sort of distraction but....he's always in the back of my mind as I wonder 'what else' can I do or 'how' can I fix this all?

I've really tried to explain to him that this is the moment in his life where he can buckle down and tackle this all with simply opening himself up to the treatments and counseling. We're just in a 'hope' mode that he finally makes the decision to accept it all and start trying to implement what he's learning. 

I wish I had a big 'happy ending' post to share with you all but unfortunately I think we're some ways off from that. But I do hold out Faith and Hope that he is going to come out of this all because I know his character and soul and he's a great kid....he's a compassionate kid.....but right now, he's just crippled by this depression and low self esteem and stuck in the cycles that accompany those things.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #685 on: September 29, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
Damn Gary. Sorry to hear about the way things have progressed. Is all the therapy he's tried 1:1? Are there group settings similar to AA where you're with a group of people with similar experiences?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: September 29, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »
Damn Gary. Sorry to hear about the way things have progressed. Is all the therapy he's tried 1:1? Are there group settings similar to AA where you're with a group of people with similar experiences?

He did what they called ‘Intensive Group Therapy’ for four weeks after he was released from the hospital. It was four days a week, three hours a day….in person. I think he basically just showed up and sat there.

This therapy he’s starting now will be group therapy as well but it’s all via Zoom setting. I don’t know….maybe that will help him be more open to it? He’s promised me he will take this more serious.

We have an appointment with his Psychologist as well next week to where we may be discussing his medication and whether it needs to be modified or changed? His self harm has not seemed to have stopped. He can get through a few weeks but we found out that while his arms looked healed he was just cutting his chest and stomach to where we couldn’t see it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: September 29, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
I'm going through my own issues Gary (See the chat thread) so I see where you are coming from. It seems nothing helps.  No matter what you talk about, what others in the field talk about, your son can't stop what is going on upstairs.  It must be so frightening as a parent to feel helpless.  I'm so sorry Gary for you and your wife.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: September 29, 2022, 11:41:28 AM »
I'm going through my own issues Gary (See the chat thread) so I see where you are coming from. It seems nothing helps.  No matter what you talk about, what others in the field talk about, your son can't stop what is going on upstairs.  It must be so frightening as a parent to feel helpless.  I'm so sorry Gary for you and your wife.

I  need to check that out then Joe and I will

And, I appreciate the sentiment.....this forum and a bunch of you guys have been so awesome with the support. It's a comfortable place for me to vent and just type it out and get it out there. My wife and I are plugging away and as I said....holding out Faith that he's going to weather this storm. It does suck not being able to 'fix' this for him and just make it 'better'....I think that's the worst part about all of this. Coming to grips with the fact a lot of (if not all of) the outcome of this is dependent on him and it's not something I can fix or control as a parent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: September 29, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »
Sometimes you think, He wants to fix himself but in his head it's different.  Impulses he can't stop.  It's a terrifying feeling I'd bet as a parent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #690 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
How I describe it right now is 'three steps forward, two steps back'.

If this is indeed true, then it nets out to one step forward.  :)

Thank you sharing Gary. I really feel awful for you and your family. I wish I could help..I really do.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: September 29, 2022, 12:11:52 PM »
How I describe it right now is 'three steps forward, two steps back'.

If this is indeed true, then it nets out to one step forward.  :)

Thank you sharing Gary. I really feel awful for you and your family. I wish I could help..I really do.

I believe it is and my evidence to support it is the communication and conversations between us and him are more productive these days. They used to be an instant fight whereas now it's not as contentious. Not always 'good' but they aren't anywhere near as bad as they once were. And, I can genuinely sense that he 'wants' to do things to get better.....he's just stuck in a bad cycle of mindset where he's holding himself hostage so to speak. Just trying to break him free of that so he can truly start to improve

Offline Lethean

« Reply #692 on: September 29, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
That sounds awful and I really hope things start to turn around for him, and for you and your wife. I hope he had some kind of realization that attacking that kid, aside from being wrong, didn't make things any better for him. 

And I hope he can find some kind of relief from what he's going through besides the cutting; whether it's medication or therapy strategies or something.  Wishing you all the best.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #693 on: September 29, 2022, 02:26:04 PM »
Very sorry to hear that things are still difficult. How old is he currently?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: September 29, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
Very sorry to hear that things are still difficult. How old is he currently?

He turned 16 this past May.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #695 on: September 29, 2022, 03:15:04 PM »
Oh wow.

Ultimately only he would know this for sure, but do you have any idea what the core issue might be? Like deep down beneath everything else, is there one big target to focus on?

And I know its not always that simple, but I'm just brainstorming.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: September 30, 2022, 01:28:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing an update Gary.  I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well.  Don't give up hope mate, it will turn around eventually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: September 30, 2022, 07:11:11 AM »
And, I can genuinely sense that he 'wants' to do things to get better.....he's just stuck in a bad cycle of mindset where he's holding himself hostage so to speak. Just trying to break him free of that so he can truly start to improve

I think many of us can understand this perspective - I know it's something I'm struggling through at the moment.  Big hugs to you, your wife, and all three of your boys. Hold on to that hope and faith, as I suspect it will help sustain your commitment and conviction to the strategies you're all employing to get through this.

And apologies if it seemed like I cut our convo off the other night abruptly.  It'd been a helluva week for me (workwise), and I was just really bagged.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: September 30, 2022, 07:17:28 AM »
And apologies if it seemed like I cut our convo off the other night abruptly.  It'd been a helluva week for me (workwise), and I was just really bagged.[/b]

Oh man....no big deal at all. It was kind of funny though.....just chatting away then suddenly "Oh shit....it's 11:30!"   :lol 

Again, everyone....I appreciate you all and having this outlet to 'speak' about it is really cathartic. Much love to you all!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: September 30, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »
but do you have any idea what the core issue might be? Like deep down beneath everything else, is there one big target to focus on?

Without making a huge post about it.....the 'simple' explanation is he has always had an IEP for school. For those that don't know, it's an 'Individualized Education Plan' to where he can receive additional services to assist him with his learning. He gets these services in class BUT he has to self advocate for himself....basically....'ask' for the help. In elementary and middle school it wasn't all that big a deal as he was younger but as he's aged he's began to feel 'different' than everyone else as he's more or less embarrassed by it.

His self esteem has taken a beating over this....his confidence, etc etc. It's just snowballed into him slipping into depression and not feeling good about himself. It's heartbreaking because he's such a good kid....genuine soul, very empathetic and compassionate. But he's just in a REAL bad mindset right now. Not only depressed but just overall outlook on life. We're just trying to help him break that cycle and start to find 'hope' again.