Author Topic: Parenting/marital advice  (Read 49814 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parenting/marital advice
« Reply #560 on: October 01, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
 :lol  and we did need a laugh...

Gary has a great spot to vent here, and to receive other perspectives about his situation.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #561 on: November 08, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »
Hey all.....a few of you have reached out individually to ask about how things are going with my son and his situation. Things have been going really well. I think he's turned a corner judging from his overall happiness and demeanor and the way he's been carrying himself. We haven't noticed any cuts for a while now and his old ones have healed up to the point of barely being noticeable.

We talk with him quite a bit....make it a point to really engage with him on a daily basis....not just the 'normal' small talk stuff but get into some deeper conversations. And, we really make it a point to LISTEN to what he's trying to say to us as one of the struggles he's had is being able to express exactly what he means and feels so translating what he's saying and how he's saying it into what he's really 'meaning' is a process.

But, overall.....the past month I'd say has been really positive. We know this is a process and that things haven't just vanished....but I can say with some bit of relief that I feel like we're heading in a good direction. I personally took the approach of just trying to put myself in his shoes and 'get' what he's going through.....and then, explain my point of view and obligations as a parent to him as clearly as possible. Once we turned our instances of communication into calm, non challenging moments from the contentious....high strung moments they were becoming....things really started to improve.

Again....we know this is going to be a process with him but are just relieved that he seems much happier and is communicating with us in a way that wasn't happening a month or two ago.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice, support and who has reached out and been there for me (us) through this. Truly appreciated  :heart
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: November 08, 2021, 10:25:34 AM »
hearing this put a smile on the faces of me and mrs.jingle this morning.   :tup  Hope things continues to trend in the right direction, even if there is the odd/minor setback.

Very happy for all the Miller's involved.

btw, I think I'm gonna have to nickname your son "The Professor"  ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: November 08, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
hearing this put a smile on the faces of me and mrs.jingle this morning.   :tup  Hope things continues to trend in the right direction, even if there is the odd/minor setback.

Very happy for all the Miller's involved.

btw, I think I'm gonna have to nickname your son "The Professor"  ;)

Thanks Chad....like I told you, I appreciate the love and support!

And, I'm extremely proud of how he's coming along! Lots of practice!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #564 on: November 08, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day and was apprehensive to reach out. Glad to hear it Gary.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: November 08, 2021, 10:47:51 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day and was apprehensive to reach out. Glad to hear it Gary.

Thanks Brian. I was only being superstitious about not updating because I didn’t want to jinx anything.  :lol  But im really proud of how far he’s come in a short amount of time. He’s had an awakening of sorts. I’m happy for him.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #566 on: November 08, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
Awesome news!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #567 on: November 08, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
Glad to hear it bud!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
That's great to hear for certain!  Sounds like all of you are attacking the issue head-on together...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Harmony

« Reply #569 on: November 08, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
Very good news here.  Thanks for the update and I hope all the progress continues for him.  Parenting is the toughest job on the planet.  Sounds like you are doing a great job.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: November 08, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
Gary, that's great. I've thought of texting you a number of times, but I didn't want to put you in an awkward position. Thought of you and your family, and have been hoping for a positive update.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: November 08, 2021, 07:05:08 PM »
Thank you for the sentiments…..I Appreciate you all very much!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #572 on: November 09, 2021, 06:49:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Chad on this.  Quietly and with fingers crossed, since I know what it's like to be in that position (i.e. dealing with a child who might be dealing with their own issues that are at certain moments beyond them), I'm grateful you're getting some light at the end of the tunnel.   

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #573 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:59 PM »
So coming off of posting hiatus to say...

Baby girl millahh coming in April!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #574 on: November 10, 2021, 01:08:30 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: November 10, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
Welcome back, and congrats!

Oh, and great to read that update Gary!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #576 on: November 10, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »

Holy shit, that's great!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #577 on: November 10, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
Woot Woot!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: November 10, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »

Awesome!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #579 on: November 10, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »
Hey all.....a few of you have reached out individually to ask about how things are going with my son and his situation. Things have been going really well. I think he's turned a corner judging from his overall happiness and demeanor and the way he's been carrying himself. We haven't noticed any cuts for a while now and his old ones have healed up to the point of barely being noticeable.

We talk with him quite a bit....make it a point to really engage with him on a daily basis....not just the 'normal' small talk stuff but get into some deeper conversations. And, we really make it a point to LISTEN to what he's trying to say to us as one of the struggles he's had is being able to express exactly what he means and feels so translating what he's saying and how he's saying it into what he's really 'meaning' is a process.

But, overall.....the past month I'd say has been really positive. We know this is a process and that things haven't just vanished....but I can say with some bit of relief that I feel like we're heading in a good direction. I personally took the approach of just trying to put myself in his shoes and 'get' what he's going through.....and then, explain my point of view and obligations as a parent to him as clearly as possible. Once we turned our instances of communication into calm, non challenging moments from the contentious....high strung moments they were becoming....things really started to improve.

Again....we know this is going to be a process with him but are just relieved that he seems much happier and is communicating with us in a way that wasn't happening a month or two ago.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice, support and who has reached out and been there for me (us) through this. Truly appreciated  :heart

That is great to hear!!  :tup :tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #580 on: November 11, 2021, 06:47:49 AM »

Congrats!!!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #581 on: November 11, 2021, 01:02:47 PM »

WOW!   Awesome!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #582 on: November 12, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »
Thanks gang!

It was kind of a late decision...both of our ages begin with the number 4, and it was via IVF (a long time neck we'd decided we didn't want kids, so I got snipped). Going through IVF was kind of a drag, it worked on the first try, and we could rest much easier knowing that everything was genetically fine and it was a healthy embryo.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #583 on: November 12, 2021, 09:24:14 AM »

:tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: November 12, 2021, 11:44:47 PM »
It was kind of a late decision...both of our ages begin with the number 4, and it was via IVF (a long time neck we'd decided we didn't want kids, so I got snipped). Going through IVF was kind of a drag, it worked on the first try, and we could rest much easier knowing that everything was genetically fine and it was a healthy embryo.

Congrats man! We did some fertilization treatments a while back, when we crossed the "both of our ages begin with the number 4" threshold, though never went through IVF. We ended up stopping the treatments after maybe 6 months. Then a couple months later, my wife got pregnant. :shrug
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: November 13, 2021, 03:22:44 AM »
Yeah that's great news Gary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: November 13, 2021, 06:10:25 AM »
I'm very pleased for you, Gary. I hope things continue to improve for your son.

Congrats, Millahh!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #587 on: November 13, 2021, 07:12:41 AM »
Lots of great news lately in this thread  :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #588 on: December 24, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
Do any of you guys do Elf on a Shelf?

Wasn't a thing when I was kid, but I've been hearing more and more about it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: December 24, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: December 24, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »
We have been doing the elf for the past few years. It's the first thing on my 4 year old's mind when she gets up, and she is so excited when she finds him. My 10 year old was the same way when she was younger, and still plays along. It's actually gotten to be one of my favorite things about Christmas, and one of the things they anticipate most once we start talking about getting the decorations out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #591 on: December 24, 2021, 08:39:39 PM »
My daughter is 6 and is a true believer in the Elf on the Shelf.  She was mortified when my 4 year old son accidentally touched him and was scared to give him a goodbye hug tonight, even though a letter from the elf said that she could.  They both love waking up and looking for the elf each day.  My son is young enough that I can remind him that the elf is watching and he instantly stops being naughty. 

I, however, am happy that the elf is going home tonight, so I don't have to move the damn thing again.  I had to set an alarm on my phone every night to remind me to move it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: December 24, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
I love finding new places for him. My wife, who loves kid stuff both as a mom and a teacher, cannot be bothered with it.

This year for the first time ever I forgot to move it once. My eldest is a night owl and often stays up later than me. This year I decided to move it in the morning before they woke up but forgot one day.

And the book is awful.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:05:18 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: December 27, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »
I missed the Trooper on the Pooper post. I raise you a Whore in the Drawer

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: December 27, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »
Fantastic!   :hefdaddy