Author Topic: Parenting/marital advice  (Read 50358 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Parenting/marital advice
« Reply #525 on: September 28, 2021, 05:24:33 PM »
Gary, all you can do is be there like you have and continue to encourage help from a professional.   

My wife had a breakdown about her parents right before Thanksgiving 2 decades ago. She decided not to see them.  Cut them out of her life. She was struggling why would they do this. Everyone close to her said all the right things but it took someone outside the family to give peace to my wife snd her emotions on her family.

It took someone not close to her to reassure it wasn't her.

Not the same as your son but keep being positive.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #526 on: September 28, 2021, 06:57:24 PM »

Yeah....well, massive fail on that point tonight. My wife searched his room and found chards of glass and a Workman Utility tool under his mattress. AND she found letters from a girl he hangs out a lot with at church and she read them. In those letters the girl (who is 13)  mentioned to my son that sometimes she will sneak into her parents bathroom and take a couple of any pills that she can find....that she too just doesn't know 'why she's here?'

We told him what we found and that we read his letters and he lost it. Spit at my wife....started yelling and cursing at us, which I allowed for a few minutes....but, he kept disrespecting my wife and I for far too long and I then lost it. I got in his face and told him he wouldn't speak to us like that and he then tried to push me aside and I wouldn't allow it....I wrapped him up in a bear hug and we had a small wrestling match. I just held him until he had tired out....then let him go and he stormed off to his room.

So obviously then my wife gets pi$$ed at me and I'm a big bad guy and so we argue.....and honestly, I've distanced myself from all of them tonight. Which sucks because my youngest son has no clue as to whats going on....he's his happy chipper self, but I've been stewing for hours now with all sorts of crap brewing in my head.

I'm about tapped out at the moment and coupled with the stress from a pretty demanding job and this.....I'm just cooked. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #527 on: September 28, 2021, 07:05:05 PM »
Oh man....

When calmer heads prevail, remind him your anger is coming from a place of fear and sadness (I'm assuming).  Also, remind him you're not angry with him, but the behavior.  I forget what movie I heard it in, some mother said to one of her kids "you're not a bad person. But this is very bad behavior."
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »
Dammit. At least you found more info that you need. Just emotionally drained and I understand.   Your wife needs to understand no man should talk to a woman or s mom like this
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »
Oh Jesus mate.

Maybe try and contact the parents of the girl he's talking to?

Maybe talk with your wife soon.  Fighting with her certainly won't help the situation at hand.  She'll calm down and remind her you both want the same thing.  Feel for you mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2021, 07:12:33 PM »
Dammit. At least you found more info that you need. Just emotionally drained and I understand.   Your wife needs to understand no man should talk to a woman or s mom like this

Indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »
Or spit for that matter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2021, 07:18:04 PM »

Yeah....well, massive fail on that point tonight. My wife searched his room and found chards of glass and a Workman Utility tool under his mattress. AND she found letters from a girl he hangs out a lot with at church and she read them. In those letters the girl (who is 13)  mentioned to my son that sometimes she will sneak into her parents bathroom and take a couple of any pills that she can find....that she too just doesn't know 'why she's here?'

We told him what we found and that we read his letters and he lost it. Spit at my wife....started yelling and cursing at us, which I allowed for a few minutes....but, he kept disrespecting my wife and I for far too long and I then lost it. I got in his face and told him he wouldn't speak to us like that and he then tried to push me aside and I wouldn't allow it....I wrapped him up in a bear hug and we had a small wrestling match. I just held him until he had tired out....then let him go and he stormed off to his room.

So obviously then my wife gets pi$$ed at me and I'm a big bad guy and so we argue.....and honestly, I've distanced myself from all of them tonight. Which sucks because my youngest son has no clue as to whats going on....he's his happy chipper self, but I've been stewing for hours now with all sorts of crap brewing in my head.

I'm about tapped out at the moment and coupled with the stress from a pretty demanding job and this.....I'm just cooked.

Gary, that's heartbreaking.

That first paragraph, I think I mentioned we had a suicude in our town a few years ago. I think she was 14 or 15. She played in the sax line next to my son in the band, and he's good friends with her brother. It was awful, and we talked with him and watched him.

I mentioned going through his room the other day. It's gut wrenching to find that stuff.

About the second paragraph..I admire the way you handled it with the bear hug. Not sure why the Mrs. would be mad at you, but I'm sure she's as frustrated, if not more, than you are. She's a mother..

And this has nothing to do with your situation, but I thought I'd share..

My stepson is gay. I met his mother shortly before he turned 6. I married his mother when he was 7 so he grew up in our house. He "came out" while in college, though it was obvious to us long before that.

My wife couldn't have been more accepting. Me either, though his issue was with his mother. Even though she was accepting and loving when he talked with her, he was still upset because in his eyes, she never legitimized his struggle and his anxiety about talking about it. She simply accepted it, which, to him, glossed over the fact that he was agonizing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 28, 2021, 07:24:47 PM »

My wife called her....don't know what was said because I'm still self isolating.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #534 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:24 AM »
Oh man....

When calmer heads prevail, remind him your anger is coming from a place of fear and sadness (I'm assuming).  Also, remind him you're not angry with him, but the behavior.  I forget what movie I heard it in, some mother said to one of her kids "you're not a bad person. But this is very bad behavior."

My dad used to say to me "You're not stupid, but you're acting really stupid right now".

Gary, man, that's a tough read. Really hoping for the best for you and your family. It's got to be extra tough on your son now, knowing that he's got extra close eyes on him. I'm not saying that what you did was the wrong move. I'm in your court on this one. When my sister was in her early teens, my father put software on her PC to monitor every button she pressed and everything that was sent to her. She was unaware and my parents found some pretty heavy shit. Not so much with her, but the people she was starting to surround herself with. It was bad for a while. Lots of resentment from my sister, most likely due to a broken line of trust. But looking back, it was 100% the right call. My parents' relationship with my sister is better than ever, and she's got a fine head on her shoulders.

The pills would worry me. Looking back at high school... A lot of the drinkers and stoners ended up pretty alright in life, but the pill groups don't seem to have seen the same success. Have you considered home drug testing kits? They have some on Amazon that can test for like 12+ of the most widely used drugs.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:08:36 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #535 on: September 29, 2021, 06:03:12 AM »

My wife called her....don't know what was said because I'm still self isolating.

I was going to send a PM, but thought I'd put it out there....   keep talking to us.  I'm concerned for your son, naturally, but I'm also concerned for YOU.  I know you know this, but it bears repeating:  you need to be strong and healthy yourself if you're ever going to help your family be strong and healthy.  I don't know what works for you, but I think I have an idea what DOESN'T work; make sure YOU'RE good too, brother.   I think I speak for all of us here when I say we're here for you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #536 on: September 29, 2021, 06:19:38 AM »
Damn, Gary.

I don't know even what to say, but many here have said a lot of good things, and I echo all of them.  Stay strong, man.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #537 on: September 29, 2021, 06:49:14 AM »

I was going to send a PM, but thought I'd put it out there....   keep talking to us.  I'm concerned for your son, naturally, but I'm also concerned for YOU.  I know you know this, but it bears repeating:  you need to be strong and healthy yourself if you're ever going to help your family be strong and healthy.  I don't know what works for you, but I think I have an idea what DOESN'T work; make sure YOU'RE good too, brother.   I think I speak for all of us here when I say we're here for you.

This was my first thought as well. I have little to offer in parenting or marital advice, I kind of tanked both sides of that coin, but I do know that isolation won't work for anyone, and is especially dangerous for those of us in recovery. You know we'll be around to listen, here and on PMs, but an in person, independent opinion could be vital as well, for you and your family.

Really hoping things work out bud, reading all of this is just heartbreaking.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 29, 2021, 06:50:30 AM »

This.  Hopefully the "self-isolating" was just a brief moment to allow everyone to cool off.

Edit... and what RJ said.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
Thanks again fellas. I do appreciate it. I won't lie or sugar coat it....this is whittling away at me but I'm trying to stay strong. Yesterday sucked....there's no getting around that, I just wasn't a very good Father or Husband and I hate that but I am just at my wits end. Will try to be better and stronger today.

Yeah Chad....the self isolation was because when I get worked up I get pretty brutal with how I address people and the things I say to them. And unfortunately the more I love you the worse it is. It's a horrible trait and one that was magnified when I drank but I still tend to do it so I just chose to stay away from them all last night.

Brian....just to be clear, my sons friend was the one we discovered popping pills via that letter. While we are going through it right now with him.....I am not concerned about him drinking or pill popping just knowing his stance on it all. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that...who knows....maybe I should drug test him....I'm pretty unsure of a lot of things right now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »
Regarding the pills, that seems like a cry for help (for the friend) and not someone "doing drugs" if they are just taking random pills they can find.  That seems like playing russian roulette.  Not sure drug testing makes any sense since it sounds like you may not even know what to look for and may not even be illegal narcotics.  However, that is extremely concerning for the friend.  That girl, especially at that age, could easily die from taking the wrong medicine and unlike the cutting, won't be leaving scars to show the damage they are doing.  That is really scary to me.  Make sure all your medicines in your house are safely away from your son.

I can't imagine the toll this is taking on you and your wife.  I'm sure tempers are wild right now hence the arguing and isolation now, but I think, you two need to get on the same page to combat what your son is going through.  Easier said than done for sure.  Sorry for your situation though, this is terrible.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
I would advise against drug testing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2021, 08:54:31 AM »
Thanks again fellas. I do appreciate it. I won't lie or sugar coat it....this is whittling away at me but I'm trying to stay strong. Yesterday sucked....there's no getting around that, I just wasn't a very good Father or Husband and I hate that but I am just at my wits end. Will try to be better and stronger today.

I can't tell you how many times I feel like that on any given day, and my kids are 6 and almost 4.  Whether I mishandle something with my kids or my wife, it happens and tomorrow is another day.  I'd agree with Stadler - keep talking on here, assuming that you're not also talking to someone in a professional/therapeutic manner.  At least you can get stuff out, even it's just on here.  We all support you!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »

Yeah....I don't think we're at that point. One of the points of contention between my wife and I was her searching his room. While I understand why she did and get that we discovered a couple things he was cutting himself with and that letter.....it's going to tear down trust between he and us pretty quick.

We know he's cutting himself....finding 'what' he's doing it with isn't going to make him stop. In fact, he told us that he'd just go to school and "get his trusty pencil that he likes" and do it with that. While I know this is 'serious' and that we need to help him get through this I'm not as concerned as my wife is. She's going crazy with this thing.....whereas maybe it's because I had a period of time in my life where I did this.....I'm just weathering the storm and trying to do and say the right things.

When I discovered last week from a conversation with the Youth Pr. at church that my son and this girl were caught sitting together and talking alone at youth camp this past summer I heard all I needed to hear. In my opinion that just added a layer of 'attention seeking' to his actions because he and this girl are always together at church.....she's always talking to him and looking all concerned and caring. While that may not be the whole reason he's doing it I think that's an element of why he is and the most upset he's been was last week when used the word 'attention' when talking to him about it. It really bugged him.

I'm just a dad trying to read the situation and understand it. I know him, I know his struggles.....I know from his first two 'girlfriends' that he like every other young kid gets all wrapped up in them so when they broke up it was the end of the world. So, part of me thinks he believes he's found a way to keep this girl in his life. I could be WAY off base but again.....at this point I'm grasping at straws.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »

I can't tell you how many times I feel like that on any given day, and my kids are 6 and almost 4.  Whether I mishandle something with my kids or my wife, it happens and tomorrow is another day.  I'd agree with Stadler - keep talking on here, assuming that you're not also talking to someone in a professional/therapeutic manner.  At least you can get stuff out, even it's just on here.  We all support you!

Will do. It's been a few years since I've been to counseling/therapy but I'm thinking it may be time to fire it back up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »

Yeah....I don't think we're at that point. One of the points of contention between my wife and I was her searching his room. While I understand why she did and get that we discovered a couple things he was cutting himself with and that letter.....it's going to tear down trust between he and us pretty quick.

I'm with you on the searching his room part, for all the reasons you stated.  Once it was done though, confronting him with what you found was (imo) a risky/dangerous thing to do - for the trust issue.  As the saying goes, trust is earned in pennies and spent in dollars.  You definitely don't want any distance to start forming for any reason.  I don't know if this is one of those "right thing for the wrong reasons" or "wrong thing for the right reasons".

Offline Adami

« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:20 AM »
I'd suggest not assuming you know his struggles or know any of this stuff, even if you really do. I'd recommend coming at it from a place of curiosity. If he feels "no one understands" then don't try to convince him otherwise, let him teach and show you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: September 29, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
I'd suggest not assuming you know his struggles or know any of this stuff, even if you really do. I'd recommend coming at it from a place of curiosity. If he feels "no one understands" then don't try to convince him otherwise, let him teach and show you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: September 29, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
It's like admitting you have an eating issue, gambling issue, drinking issue.  He has to realize he needs help and not try to deflect those who care for him. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 29, 2021, 12:00:53 PM »
I admit I have an issue with that woman in the purple shirt. 

(Is that Alison Brie?)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 29, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

(Is that Alison Brie?)

yes, it is.  What kind of .... issue?  :eyebrows:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: September 29, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

(Is that Alison Brie?)

yes, it is.  What kind of .... issue?  :eyebrows:

Hey now!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

(Is that Alison Brie?)

Is it cause she's Jewish? You make me sick.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 29, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »

(Is that Alison Brie?)

I would not throw her out of bed for eating matzo.   :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2021, 01:10:34 PM »

(Is that Alison Brie?)

I would not throw her out of bed for eating matzo.   :)

The matzah balls on you.....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: September 29, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
הכדורים על שניכם.

Offline Adami

« Reply #556 on: September 29, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
הכדורים על שניכם.

Haha. I'm not totally sure that's the word for balls they'd use here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: September 29, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
I thought we needed a laugh.  lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: October 01, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
If King can't spell in English, what makes you think he can spell in Hebrew?  כדורי פלדה
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: October 01, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »
 :lol

Guilty!  Lol