Author Topic: Parenting/marital advice  (Read 50177 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parenting/marital advice
« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2020, 05:49:21 AM »
I'm curious, TAC and CC. Why do you care? Seriously.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2020, 05:54:55 AM »

I don't necessarily care how I am addressed, though I would feel it kind of inappropriate if my son's friend called me Tim. I was just brought up that as a kid, you refer to an adult as Mr. _______.

I just think it's always better to be respectful. And while I realize this has been said by every generation ever, we seem to be in a "fuck everything" society.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2020, 07:31:17 AM »
I'm a "you have to know the rules to break them" kind of guy, so I'm with TAC and CC here all the way.   Most of my daughter's friends refer to me as "Mr. F*******" (my last name).  My daughter refers to most of her friends parents as "Mr./Mrs. So-and-so".   There are select exceptions, though.  But for me, and maybe this has to do with having a daughter, I see no need to be overly familiar.   I'm not looking to be their best friend.   (Side bar, but I have a personal, unspoken rule that I make it a point to not even be alone with any of my daughter's friends unless it's an absolute emergency; I just don't want to be in that position).   

With my two oldest step-kids - one's 26, one's 21 - it's a little different.  The oldest, while I'm still not looking to be his (or his friends) drinking buddy, I'm more apt to use my first name.  We're getting there with my second-oldest (though it's my step-daughter, and I have a similar, personal unspoken rule there too.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »
"Mr. F*******" (my last name)

Mr. Foxnews?   ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
With my two oldest step-kids - one's 26, one's 21 - it's a little different.  The oldest, while I'm still not looking to be his (or his friends) drinking buddy, I'm more apt to use my first name.  We're getting there with my second-oldest (though it's my step-daughter, and I have a similar, personal unspoken rule there too.)

My Stepson turns 30 next month. I met his mother when he was 5 and we got married when he was 7. He has always called me Tim.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
I rarely addressed my friends parents by their names, but when I did it was usually by their first name. My kids friends usually call me "Max's dad".

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #321 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »
I was always a Mr/Mrs [LastName] person with my friends' parents growing up (unless they specifically told me to drop the formality) and I'd raise my kids to do the same if I ever have any. I did start calling my parents by their first names a bit young though (~14 or 15) just because I worked alongside both of them at my dad's restaurant.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »

My Stepson turns 30 next month. I met his mother when he was 5 and we got married when he was 7. He has always called me Tim.

Oh, no, I wasn't clear: all my step kids call me "Bill".  I was talking about their friends. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2020, 08:25:36 AM »
Oh, gotcha! I don't think his friends ever actually addressed me. I was always introduced as Tim though.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2020, 08:40:39 AM »
I'm pretty old fashioned, so Mr. for me Mrs. for my wife.  And Dad/Mom for my kids.  I won't accept anything else.  Although at church most call me brother (last name) which I also think is fine.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
I'm pretty old fashioned, so Mr. for me Mrs. for my wife.  And Dad/Mom for my kids.  I won't accept anything else.  Although at church most call me brother (last name) which I also think is fine.

That does it.  Brother Lion it is from now on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
Question/comment for parents here... how do your kids' friends (or children in general) address you? How do you refer to adults when talking to your kids?

When I was a kid, any adult was Mr./Mrs. <last name>. Now it seems like kids refer to adults by either their first name, or Mr/Mrs <First Name>. If I am not explaining this well, for example our adult friends will tell their kids "Go ask Mr. Chris if he can get you a snack." It has started irking me. I want to be addressed as Mr. <my last name> and I want my kids to address and refer to adults in the same manner.

Am I out of line? Not hip with the times?

Kids' friends:  It depends.  My son's best friend always refers to my wife and me as Mr./Mrs. [last name].  On the other hand, my daughter's best friend refers to my wife by her first name, and I'm "Blue T-Shirt" (because, apparently, the first [large number] of times she met me, I was wearing a blue t-shirt.  It's a bit weird, but she's like family, so neither of us mind (my daughter refers to her friend's mother and stepfather by their first names, and the friend refers to her stepfather by his first name).  Pretty much every other kid I've met over the years goes with "Mr. [last name]."

I find the Mr. Chris/Miss Brooke thing to be very odd, although that seemed to be reserved mostly for teenagers or young adults who sat for my kids back when they couldn't be left home alone.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
I do the "Miss [First name]" thing a lot; I picked that up in the south, when I lived in Atlanta and Charlotte. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
As has been pointed out, it's a way of communicating respect, so that is how we have always taught our kids.  And many (but not all) of the people we are regularly around do the same.  As for whether it is "Mr. [first name]" or "Mr. [last name]," it just depends.  Either way is perfectly respectful as far as I'm concerned.  The former is a bit more familiar, but still showing an effort to show that respect. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
Good point Mr. Bosk.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »
I won't insist on "Mr. 1."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »

That does it.  Brother Lion it is from now on.

:rollin

It feels weird to be called that on a forum, but I'm cool with that.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2020, 09:14:30 PM »

I don't know why I care, which is why I wanted the feedback, which I highly appreciate from everyone who posted their thoughts. I am glad Bosk brought up respect because that is the bottom line, and I never feel like I am treated otherwise when I am called Mr. Chris. I was mostly curious if this was a cultural shift that happened sometime between my childhood and now, as I never called any adult anything other than Mr. <Last Name>
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »
Marriage can be fucking hard some times guys. I don't feel like I signed up for this shit. I hate that I'm so damn selfish, but damn it... I just want to undo the last few months. Don't wanna share any details, but if you're the praying type, I'd appreciate you sending some my way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Sorry, man.  Prayers absolutely directed on your behalf.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Prayers sent!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2020, 05:42:50 AM »
Thanks guys. This is a time when I need to be supportive of my wife and put aside my own needs. But it's hard because I feel like I've been doing that all along and was finally having my needs met which then dredged up past trauma for her.  My wife is the one who really needs the prayers and healing, but I'm just frustrated and angry that things will never be what I want them to be and what I thought they would be when I got married. For better or worse is what I signed up for I guess. It just sucks that things were so much better and are now suddenly worse again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:02 AM »
Sorry man, I'm rooting for you and your wife to pull through whatever you are going through.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
Me too.   Prayers!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2020, 05:32:20 AM »
Has anybody had to deal with their child having Night Terrors, or had them yourself when you were a kid?

This stuff is really scary. Basically the person is having a waking nightmare, so they are in their room screaming bloody murder living out the nightmare while half awake. Had one for the first time in a long time last night and its still got me freaked out. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2020, 05:53:14 AM »
Has anybody had to deal with their child having Night Terrors, or had them yourself when you were a kid?

This stuff is really scary. Basically the person is having a waking nightmare, so they are in their room screaming bloody murder living out the nightmare while half awake. Had one for the first time in a long time last night and its still got me freaked out.

jingle.son had sleeping issues, and some mild night terrors - nothing that was absolutely horrifying though (for him or us).  I'd have to check with mrs.jingle, but my recollection was that it didn't last too long.  We had a baby gate at the top of the stairs for a very long time to make sure he didn't get too far.  Then one time we found him downstairs, as he was old enough to know how to open the baby-gate.  Went out and got a hardcore latch for our front door the very next day.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
Our oldest daughter also had some sleeping issues when was age 6-8, problems falling asleep, bad dreams and sometimes sleepwalking (that's when we locked the front door), but I wouldn't really call them night terrors.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »
Marriage can be fucking hard some times guys. I don't feel like I signed up for this shit. I hate that I'm so damn selfish, but damn it... I just want to undo the last few months. Don't wanna share any details, but if you're the praying type, I'd appreciate you sending some my way.

In about 6 weeks I will be married exactly 20 years and you are right, it can be very challenging sometimes.  I couldn't help but notice your comment about being selfish.  Let me tell you based on my own experience, successful marriages are all about the exact opposite of being selfish.  There's nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and having the things in your life that make you happiest, that's not selfish, that's living.  In a healthy marriage both parties should put a very high degree of care and concern into the happiness and security of their partner.  The best marriages are collaborative and have constant open communication.  It's not easy and really it's more about having that as an aspiration than ever actually achieving some perceived state of marital bliss.

Anyway, I just mainly wanted to let you know that I understand how challenging it can be, but selfishness is relationship poison. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »

In about 6 weeks I will be married exactly 20 years and you are right, it can be very challenging sometimes.  I couldn't help but notice your comment about being selfish.  Let me tell you based on my own experience, successful marriages are all about the exact opposite of being selfish.  There's nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and having the things in your life that make you happiest, that's not selfish, that's living.  In a healthy marriage both parties should put a very high degree of care and concern into the happiness and security of their partner.  The best marriages are collaborative and have constant open communication.  It's not easy and really it's more about having that as an aspiration than ever actually achieving some perceived state of marital bliss.

Anyway, I just mainly wanted to let you know that I understand how challenging it can be, but selfishness is relationship poison. 

Thanks. January/February were rough for us. Especially me. I was being far too selfless for many years and not speaking up for myself. When I finally did it lead to a lot of conflict and my wife really digging in her heels, for some good reasons and some not. We've made it through for now, but sometimes I fear we only kicked the bucket down the road a bit and we'll be revisiting the same issues later since she got pregnant in February and we now have a newborn at home. There is a fine balance between "I have needs that must be met" and "There are things you could do that would make me feel loved and appreciated" and selfishness and I'm trying to tread that line. Its difficult when it seems like you're asking so little and the other person sees it as asking too much. It's especially difficult when there's a lot of anxiety and past trauma involved, particularly when you weren't aware of that trauma until 14 years into your marriage.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:06:32 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:35 AM »
One problem I had with all that was just that the dynamic was set.   Sometimes it's not the absolute position that is bad, it's the change from one position to another.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »
My wife is going through "The Change" right now and is being very aggressive.  She finally realized it when I started to talk to her like she talks to me.  She wouldn't admit it but she's calmed down on how she asks/talks to me.  I'll take my victory in silence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
My wife is going through "The Change" right now and is being very aggressive.  She finally realized it when I started to talk to her like she talks to me.  She wouldn't admit it but she's calmed down on how she asks/talks to me.  I'll take my victory in silence.

Plus she tried to kill the cat!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »

That she cried about.  Me, I better count my meds. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »

That she cried about.  Me, I better count my meds. :lol

And don't let her count them for you!!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
My marital advice??? Don't do it!

That is all........... ;D

I'm joking.  ;)