Author Topic: The Jury Duty Thread v. I'm baaaack.....  (Read 7024 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Jury Duty Thread v. I'm baaaack.....
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Ok, so we go into selection, and the judge starts going over details. Blah blah blah and he finally gets to the case, says it's gonna be a civil case, and it should take three months......................

Three fucking months........ the courtroom obviously groans, and the judge goes "huh, I expected a louder groan...."  :lol

So he asks who needs hardship forms, and almost every hand goes up. I fill one out saying I'm too broke to take 3 months off and make sure to tear stain the paper. A nervewracking half hour follows where he starts calling off names one by one. He calls my name and my heart skipped three beats, whereupon he says he understands and I'm excused. So damn relieved.

Wow... that would've fuckin sucked monkey balls.  Close call mang.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
Seriously bro. It was a class action, a bunch of homeowners against the contractors that built the track homes they lived in. Judge said the lawyers statements would have been 45 days, and the rest of the time would had been going over construction law. :zeltar:

I feel so sorry for whatever poor fuckers end up on that thing man.

Offline Cable

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
Summoned three times, 33 years old. Started at age 25. First served on a trial, second I asked not to attend and didn't get to the jury pool, and last time summoned but not selected.

I will not apparently ever serve on a jury again, due to my studies and career's nature. I did not mind serving, to me it's free time. Especially if one's employer pays you to be there.
---

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »
If the case had been a week or two, I wouldn't have had an issue; I got about a month of vacation saved and have always had an interest. Three months would've put my ass on the streets though. (doubt my girl would throw me out, but it would have been hella tricky)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Oy vey, this shit again. Trying to decide if I even show up tomorrow. I really hate the thing on general principle, knowing that I'm not juror material and all. Also, I have to wonder if they stop nagging people who don't show up. Maybe I get called every year because they know I'm a sap. On the flipside, I suppose it's possible I see an interesting case, and if it's something awful I could pretty easily wrangle out of it. A little perjury don't bug me none.

Seriously bro. It was a class action, a bunch of homeowners against the contractors that built the track homes they lived in. Judge said the lawyers statements would have been 45 days, and the rest of the time would had been going over construction law. :zeltar:
When I was nine a contractor killed my younger brother. I've held a grudge against the entire industry ever since. Oh, and I have a seething hatred of all homeowners; smug, condescending assholes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »
I had Jury Duty last week. Well.. My group was never called... so I got out of it. Wouldn't have mattered if I got called or not. I still get my full pay as a county employee. The only shit thing is if I would have been called, I would have fallen behind on my caseload at work. Which is no bueno.

The employees the actually work at the government center complex have the option to be put on a call list, and they just get a call when their group is called. I work in a satellite office ACROSS THE STREET so I don't qualify for that luxury. By the time I get it next year I'll probably gladly take the paid day off.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2024, 01:44:29 PM »
I got to serve on a jury this week. It took two days and was legit the most fun I've had in a while. I know that's a weird word to use to describe it, but I really had a great time. I thought the whole process was great. Being in court was like watching a live drama. The witnesses were contradicting each other. It was one lawyer's first case. Witnesses were getting called out on wrong information. It felt exciting, and knowing that I was going to be 1 of 6 people responsible for ruining someone's day had me hanging on every word. I took it very seriously, volunteered to be the foreman, and lead a 3 hour deliberation. 

10/10 would do again.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2024, 02:11:57 PM »
I was on a jury in Hartford and I LOVED it.  So interesting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2024, 02:52:38 PM »
I got to serve on a jury this week. It took two days and was legit the most fun I've had in a while. I know that's a weird word to use to describe it, but I really had a great time. I thought the whole process was great. Being in court was like watching a live drama. The witnesses were contradicting each other. It was one lawyer's first case. Witnesses were getting called out on wrong information. It felt exciting, and knowing that I was going to be 1 of 6 people responsible for ruining someone's day had me hanging on every word. I took it very seriously, volunteered to be the foreman, and lead a 3 hour deliberation. 

10/10 would do again.

Was it a civil or criminal case? What was it about and how'd you guys vote?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2024, 07:26:34 PM »
I got a summons a few weeks back, but my group was never called so I didn't have to go in. My wife was called but was dismissed during juror questioning, or whatever its called. She had an experience too close to the nature of the trial and said she could not be impartial.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2024, 08:15:40 AM »
I was called for Jury duty and I really wanted to participate and be selected, I was selected in the initial group, went in front of the judge and lawyers on both sides, they gave a brief overview of the case which I think I would've done great on. But ultimately had to back out as the judge said it would take 2 weeks and at the time I couldn't forgo that much time as I had other commitments.

But I think I would've been marked an impartial juror because my wife too had the same thing happen to her as the defendant.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2024, 09:51:31 PM »
I was on a jury in Hartford and I LOVED it.  So interesting.

I've been summoned about 6-8 times in my life.  I had to report at least 4 times, and I got on a jury once around 2005.  It was a simple possession case.  The prosecutor accepted the jury several times, but the public defender's strategy seemed to be to use all of her peremptory challenges to delay things.  When I was called for voir dire, I got the sense she'd have liked to have gotten rid of me, but she had run out of challenges and had no basis to challenge me for cause.  When we started our deliberations, we all sat there quietly for about 15 seconds when someone said, "well, I guess we should elect a foreman," and someone else immediately said, "I nominate the lawyer.  I was unanimously elected despite pointing out that I had no experience with criminal law.  It took longer than it should have, but we convicted the guy.

My daughter got called a couple years ago.  She postponed it a couple of times since she was away at college.  I suggested she schedule it for the second to last week before she returned from spring break.  Very few civil trials start that week, and she'd have an easy excuse for not getting stuck on anything other than a 2-3 day criminal case.  Her group got sent up to a courtroom, but it was a two-month trial, so she was done before noon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2024, 06:16:56 AM »

10/10 would do again.

Was it a civil or criminal case? What was it about and how'd you guys vote?

Just a civil case around a car accident a couple years back.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2024, 07:55:20 AM »
About 10-15 years ago, we were living in Mount Airy NC, a quite small town.  My wife got called for jury duty, and as it turned out, her Dad was also called for the same session.  When the lawyers were talking to her, they asked as apparently a standard question if she knew anyone else that was a potential juror, and she pointed at him and said "That's my father right there."  The lawyer asked if she felt she could do her duty as a juror without being influenced by her father, and she said she had spent several decades without being influenced by him and didn't expect that to change in the next week.  They were both accepted and served on the same jury (it was a DUI case).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
About 10-15 years ago, we were living in Mount Airy NC, a quite small town.  My wife got called for jury duty, and as it turned out, her Dad was also called for the same session.  When the lawyers were talking to her, they asked as apparently a standard question if she knew anyone else that was a potential juror, and she pointed at him and said "That's my father right there."  The lawyer asked if she felt she could do her duty as a juror without being influenced by her father, and she said she had spent several decades without being influenced by him and didn't expect that to change in the next week.  They were both accepted and served on the same jury (it was a DUI case).

That's a great line.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2024, 12:34:56 PM »

That's a great line.  :)
Well, she's pretty great lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2024, 02:26:17 PM »

10/10 would do again.

I'm glad our country has people like you on it  :lol  I guess if I felt like jury duty wasn't impeding on my life or I really wanted to get out of work, or the rare chance the case was really intriguing, I could find it interesting to be apart of the process. 

That's actually amazing  :lol

I've been summoned a few times, never served.  Last time, just last year, I actually got to the questioning part to see if they'd select me and I said I had a bias in the case.  Not a lie, I had a similar situation happen to me and immediately felt strongly about the case based on the few facts they shared, but a bit of a stretch in that I could have withheld that and just did my duty without it ever mattering, but I wanted out so just told them I had a bias.

My gf currently has a summons awaiting her  :lol  But I think if you make it to the question part, if you just say you don't want to be there, they aren't likely to select you anyway.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2024, 05:30:40 PM »
The biggest problem with jury duty is that the pool of people who can legitimately sit on a trial that will last more than 5 days is minuscule.  Essentially, it's students on breaks from school, retired folks, civil service employees (who, for the most part, get paid for unlimited jury duty), (some) union workers, and the unemployed.  Around here, the judges are VERY strict about the "financial hardship" excuse.  I don't have any statistics, but I doubt there are many employers who will pay employees for more than 3-5 days of jury duty (and, of course, hourly employees don't get paid unless they work (union members excluded under some circumstances)).  Judges will actually expect folks to exhaust their paid vacation time to sit on a jury.  As a result, you get people who are desperately trying to get out of jury duty.

I've long been a proponent of professional jurors.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2024, 05:33:35 PM »
My gf currently has a summons awaiting her  :lol  But I think if you make it to the question part, if you just say you don't want to be there, they aren't likely to select you anyway.

It really all depends.  For starters, simply saying, "I don't want to be here" is at least a little likely to generate a tongue-lashing from the judge.  Beyond that, there are plenty of situations in which a part might want people who don't want to be there.  I can recall a lot of late night sessions where we sat around brainstorming about the sorts of people we did and didn't want on a jury for a particular case.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2024, 11:20:02 AM »
Oddly enough I've never been summoned for jury duty. Then again, I've lived in a small town surrounded by other small towns for quite a while, so maybe not that many court cases needing jurors.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2024, 01:42:55 PM »
I served on jury duty when I was 21 or so. It was kind of fun at that time. I think I would just find it annoying now though. I'm kind of surprised I've made it 20+ years without being called in again.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2024, 02:10:07 PM »
I only got called for it one time, and it was for state grand jury. Had I been selected I would have had to serve once a week for three months. The judge warned the room full of us that he "very rarely" excuses people if they do get selected, and then proceeded to excuse almost the entire initial 12 person list :lol I was initially called as one of the next wave of replacements, but the judge agreed to exempt me as it was something like 2 hours each way of public transportation to get down to the state capital (I didn't have my license at the time). I was out of there before noon, so at least was able to enjoy a half day off once I got home :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2024, 04:32:58 PM »
Getting called for a grand jury could be more interesting, but man would it suck.