Author Topic: Top 5 Classic Rock Bands  (Read 7154 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 5 Classic Rock Bands
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »
Unless it's just purely "My favorite", I don't understand how the Beatles aren't on every list.  They were legend in almost every way. 

Even though I have never listened to a Beatles album in my life, I do agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »
I have never listened to a Beatles album in my life

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Unless it's just purely "My favorite", I don't understand how the Beatles aren't on every list.  They were legend in almost every way. 

Even though I have never listened to a Beatles album in my life, I do agree.

Nuggetz!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »
I think there is a narrow list of albums - Tommy, Zep IV, Dark Side Of The Moon, Rumors - that are must listening, if for no other reason than to understand that which came after.  It's like "musical education".    The Beatles are one of the few bands that have THREE of those types of albums:  Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road.  Even if you think I'm wrong on that last point, I think you have to at least have heard "Sgt. Pepper" to get where artists like Hendrix, Yes, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, etc. are coming from. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
I've never heard Tommy or Rumours either.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
My alltime 5 favorite bands

Rush (for their whole career, the only band I kept following through the years)

The Beatles (the first band I ever listened to, about 5 years after they were done and bought everything and sing all the songs, all the time back then)

Genesis (for what they made during the '70s until Abacab in '81.  I wished I had seen them live in the '70s)

Boston (that guitar sound and voice, just great, real rock'n roll music)

Harmonium (the greatest band by far in my province of Québec, their second album is amoung the top 50 alltime prog album by Rolling Stones mag. But their whole catalogue is amazing, singing in french and touring the States and opening for Supertramp in Europe, you don't see that often.)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »

That's what I was implying earlier on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »
If I could only take five 70's acts to a desert isle, it'd be these:

Alice Cooper (band & solo)
UFO
Thin Lizzy
Rainbow
Aerosmith

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
My alltime 5 favorite bands

Rush (for their whole career, the only band I kept following through the years)

The Beatles (the first band I ever listened to, about 5 years after they were done and bought everything and sing all the songs, all the time back then)

Genesis (for what they made during the '70s until Abacab in '81.  I wished I had seen them live in the '70s)

Boston (that guitar sound and voice, just great, real rock'n roll music)

Harmonium (the greatest band by far in my province of Québec, their second album is amoung the top 50 alltime prog album by Rolling Stones mag. But their whole catalogue is amazing, singing in french and touring the States and opening for Supertramp in Europe, you don't see that often.)

Your avatar has the source of my single favorite passage of music ever.  EVER. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »

Your avatar has the source of my single favorite passage of music ever.  EVER.

Gee thanks! ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
I know. I'm sorry. And I call myself a music fan.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »
Do better, TAC.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
Now go to your room.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »
Do I genuinely need to put the word 'favourite' in the title? What would even be the point of asking for a list with no personal aspect to it?

Also, I probably should have guessed the thread would become polluted with a chorus of "The Beatles shat gold" cuntery.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
a chorus of "The Beatles shat gold" cuntery.

This may very well be one of the awesomest things ever posted on this site.  :clap:

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
My personal five would be...

- KISS
 - Rush
 - Led Zeppelin
 - Aerosmith
 - Pink Floyd

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »
Also, I probably should have guessed the thread would become polluted with a chorus of "The Beatles shat gold" cuntery.
But... but... the Beatles!

Though I do kind of agree that if one considers oneself more than a casual music fan, one is almost certainly obliged to at least listen to a few of their albums.

Anyways... my list!
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Rush
Pink Floyd
Queen

Honorable Mention would probably go to The Beatles actually

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
Nit a single mention of the Who. So dissapointed...

I love The Who, but I just love a lot of bands more.  :)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 05:58:59 AM »

Though I do kind of agree that if one considers oneself more than a casual music fan, one is almost certainly obliged to at least listen to a few of their albums.
There is a difference between
"if you want to gain perspective on early rock music and hear some neat music, listen to some Beatles albums"
and
"you are not properly 'educated' on music until you've sat through X Beatles albums and enjoyed them",
let alone
"your taste in music is objectively cack if you don't blah blah blah sales in the hundreds of millions blah blah blah albums are holy documents blah blah blah invented the question mark".

What I'm seeing is along the lines of the second and third, not the first. And the reason I probably should have guessed that would be the case is because with the Beatles, it always is, in any discussion where their fans chime in with this crap, which is almost whenever they possibly can.

Take note of how little anyone else has insisted anyone else's personal list of top bands is wrong, flat-out wrong, if it doesn't include any other band. One thing I will give The Beatles: there is perhaps no band for whom fandom more frequently leads to the development of its own special strand of autism.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »

"if you want to gain perspective on early rock music and hear some neat music, listen to some Beatles albums"
and
"you are not properly 'educated' on music until you've sat through X Beatles albums and enjoyed them",
let alone
"your taste in music is objectively cack if you don't blah blah blah sales in the hundreds of millions blah blah blah albums are holy documents blah blah blah invented the question mark".

What I'm seeing is along the lines of the second and third, not the first. And the reason I probably should have guessed that would be the case is because with the Beatles, it always is, in any discussion where their fans chime in with this crap, which is almost whenever they possibly can.

Take note of how little anyone else has insisted anyone else's personal list of top bands is wrong, flat-out wrong, if it doesn't include any other band. One thing I will give The Beatles: there is perhaps no band for whom fandom more frequently leads to the development of its own special strand of autism.

I'm the one that brought up the 'musical education' aspect of things, but YOU added the "enjoyed them" part, not me. I never once said that anyone has to LIKE them.   I deplore Bob Dylan, can't stand him, can't even listen to him, but I'd be an idiot if I tried to say that he's not an iconic American musician.  Not top five, in my opinion, but certainly top ten.   His influence is immeasurable.   And I hate him.  :)     And yeah, I did make sure I heard "Blonde on Blonde" and "Highway 61 Revisited".  I feel like I'm not credible if I say "DYLAN SUCKS!" and "DYLAN'S OVERRATED!" if I haven't even heard the music in it's context.

My comment was very clearly - in both intent and execution - limited to number one.  Fill your list with whatever band you like (and even if every person here put the Beatles on the list, that leaves four spots to debate, argue, and insult with).   But I feel it's valid to question the credibility of the "TOP FIVE CLASSIC ROCK BANDS!" if you haven't even heard half the legendary classic rock output.  It's like saying "list the ten best baseball players ever!" and only listing players you've seen live.   No Babe Ruth, no Lou Gehrig, no... unless your 100 years old that is. 

And the "autism" comment is out of line.   

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »

and
let alone

So, what's wrong with The Beatles? They are the Bethoven of the 20th century.  People don't have to like or love them but what's wrong about the contrary? I just don't get your point.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »
I think there is a narrow list of albums - Tommy, Zep IV, Dark Side Of The Moon, Rumors - that are must listening, if for no other reason than to understand that which came after.  It's like "musical education".    The Beatles are one of the few bands that have THREE of those types of albums:  Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road.  Even if you think I'm wrong on that last point, I think you have to at least have heard "Sgt. Pepper" to get where artists like Hendrix, Yes, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, etc. are coming from.

And you didn't even include the Beatles album widely regarded as their best 'Revolver'.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2016, 08:35:29 AM »
The number of "firsts" that the Beatles accomplished (or, "fast follower" seconds, where they took a very little known idea and made it mainstream, like lyrics on a record.  Zappa did it first, but after the Beatles, EVERYONE did it.)  Listen to the snippet by Billy Joel on the bonus disk to the Greatest Hits box set, where he talks about being part of a nation that was stunned into silence by the assassination of John Kennedy in November of '63, and then not even two months later, we get these four aliens from Britain wanting to "hold our hand", and month after that, a THIRD OF OUR COUNTRY watched them sing "All My Loving", something else, and "Please Please Me" on television (virtually unheard of then for a pop group).   They changed lives. 

I love that line from John, when he was told that "no one would play a single that is seven minutes long" ("Hey Jude", which was 7:11 long):  "They will if it's us."  And they did; it spent something like nine weeks at number one.

One could make these arguments about Zeppelin, as well. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:41 AM »
Beatles arguments be like

NO, YOUR MOM!
NO, YOUR MOM!
NO, YOUR MOM!
NO, YOUR MOM!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:48:57 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
Really, the only knock AGAINST the Beatles is no whahibrido pickingant.   It's really a glaring omission if you ask me. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Well, yeah.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Somehow the Beatles conversation lost me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »

The Beatles shit gold and Fluffy don't like the smell.

Add me to the list who have never owned (or listened to) a Beatles album  :blush
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Lessee...

King Crimson (on the strength of the Larks-era lineup alone)
Rush
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

The Beatles shit gold and Fluffy don't like the smell.

Oh OK.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2016, 06:59:17 PM »

And you didn't even include the Beatles album widely regarded as their best 'Revolver'.

I love Revolver (except for Taxman), but I don't think any Beatles is "widely regarded" as their best.  It's certainly in the conversation alone with Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road, but opinions seem to vary quite a bit.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2016, 09:28:49 PM »
One could make these arguments about Zeppelin, as well.

I do. They're dreadfully overrated and Robert Plant is terrible live.