Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24166 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#18 now featured!!)
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »
Nice choice, Kev. Another prog great. Another great of rock and music in general.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
To be fair to TAC, I wouldn't have heard of Anneke if it wasn't for Ayreon. That first gif is pretty random, and " Full Monty guy" isn't very helpful as the Full Month isn't a movie everyone is going to know, and that second gif isn't very representative of Goodfellas either.

I got your back TAC, my fellow Genesis-hater!

And yeah, Keith, play a fewer note or a million.  :laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
Thanks Chris! That's cool :tup

Hey..Cool Chris..I get it! ;D

What's Ayreon?
J/k
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
We shouldn't be cutting TAC any SLACK.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
To be fair to TAC, I wouldn't have heard of Anneke if it wasn't for Ayreon. That first gif is pretty random, and " Full Monty guy" isn't very helpful as the Full Month isn't a movie everyone is going to know, and that second gif isn't very representative of Goodfellas either.

Huh?  The shine box line is by far the most quoted line from Goodfellas.  I see and hear that quoted all the time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:59 PM »

Huh?  The shine box line is by far the most quoted line from Goodfellas.  I see and hear that quoted all the time.

Seriously. There are few lines that are quoted more than that one. There's the "what do you mean I'm funny?" line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
Tommy's fear about Henry folding under questioning proved to be legit.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
That is bizarre! I've seen Goodfellas several times and never would have recalled that line, and have never heard it quoted either.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »
Tommy's fear about Henry folding under questioning proved to be legit.

A little foreshadowing there.

That is bizarre! I've seen Goodfellas several times and never would have recalled that line, and have never heard it quoted either.

It's okay. Don't beat yourself up over it.  ;)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »

:rollin

Agreed!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#17 now featured!!)
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »
17. David Bowie

The term "musical genius" gets overused a lot, but in the case of David Bowie, it absolutely applies.  There is quite a bit of his material I either don't care for or don't "get," the material I do love is some of the best music I've ever heard, and you have to respect the artistic integrity he always had, till the very end earlier this year.  I strayed from Bowie for quite a while, and it's sad that it took his death for me to rediscover his greatness, but it is what it is.  Blackstar will go down as one of the best last albums anyone has ever done, and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is one of the best albums from the 70s, a decade loaded with greatness.  David Bowie, you were the man. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
Well, I am in no way into David Bowie in the slightest, but I would never argue against him on anybody's list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
I thought for sure your post was going to read, "Who is David Bowie?"

:lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2016, 07:31:50 PM »
 :lol Yeah, right!

I came very close to going to see him and I really regret it. In 1994, I think, he played at Avalon in Boston. It was a club show, and Avalon was a great place to see a show. Not sure why I didn't follow through.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2016, 12:43:15 AM »

I was starting to think the only bands he has heard of are Dream Theater and Iron Maiden.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2016, 01:33:33 AM »
I agree that Bowie is one of those artist where using the word "genius" isn't an exaggeration. He was the man. I'm extremely lucky that I got into his music over the last four years and got to really love him. His death really hit me hard.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
The term "musical genius" gets overused a lot....

Indeed, it is overused, and I don't think it applies Bowie. :p  I don't "get" his music at all. I will make a point to listen to some Bowie the next couple days.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »

Indeed, it is overused, and I don't think it applies Bowie. :p  I don't "get" his music at all. I will make a point to listen to some Bowie the next couple days.

Every decade Bowie evolved musically.  Always taking chances, always doing what he wanted and sometimes ahead of the curve.    I would say it applies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »

I was starting to think the only bands he has heard of are Dream Theater and Iron Maiden.

Hence my avatar!

Actually that's not true. I also have Bruce Dickinson solo albums!.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

Hence my avatar!

Actually that's not true. I also have Bruce Dickinson solo albums!.

Who's that?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2016, 07:02:19 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2016, 10:26:53 PM »
I agree that Bowie is one of those artist where using the word "genius" isn't an exaggeration. He was the man. I'm extremely lucky that I got into his music over the last four years and got to really love him. His death really hit me hard.

I almost never get hit hard by the death of people I do not know, like musicians or celebrities, but Bowie was definitely one that made you think, "Damn."  The fact that it happened days after he released an album so good just added to his legend, quite frankly.

Every decade Bowie evolved musically.  Always taking chances, always doing what he wanted and sometimes ahead of the curve.    I would say it applies.

Yep.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2016, 12:02:33 AM »

That in and of itself doesn't make someone a genius, it just means they evolved musically, took chances, did what they wanted and were ahead of the curve.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2016, 03:57:47 AM »
To stay relevant for 5 decades says the opposite.  It may not be your cup of tea but the man is a musical genius.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mladen

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2016, 04:28:56 AM »

That in and of itself doesn't make someone a genius, it just means they evolved musically, took chances, did what they wanted and were ahead of the curve.
What also needs to be said, and I believe it's something kingshmegland would agree with, is that with every change and innovation he absolutely delivered in terms of quality of music. Pretty much every genre he dabbled with fit him like a glove, he always found a way to embrace new styles and different "colors" while still maintaining his own signature characteristic.

I'm about to throw in a bunch of tracks to illustrate how insanely diverse he was over the course of his five decade career and without exception managed to put out good stuff whichever style he pursued. Feel free to go through the following songs whenever you find time or will: Starman, Rebel rebel, Station to station, Ashes to ashes, Loving the alien, Miracle goodnight, Dead man walking, Something in the air, Valentine's day and Blackstar. Every single song is in its own universe. I know it's quite a list, though, sorry.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2016, 05:13:50 AM »
I completely agree.  Bowie Like Plant, Gabriel, Simon all pave their own path.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#16 now featured!!)
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
16. Kevin Moore

The magic of early Dream Theater was, of course, the combination of every talented member of the band, but Kevin Moore's keyboard playing added an extra layer of melody and mystique that has never really consistently been there since he departed.  He managed to be a melodic and technical player at the same time, without ever making you think that he was going overboard with the playing (and he had the chops to do so).  Dream Theater has long been one of my favorite bands, and Moore's keyboard playing was one of the things that grabbed me right away when I first heard them.  He has done some nice work with Chroma Key and OSI since, but the magic in his playing will likely never touch that heard on those first three Dream Theater albums again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
I must say that I find OSI nothing but a tease. And Chroma Key, well, not my thing.

His style was great on the first 3 DT albums. I remember him playing a little keyboard and he stood fairly close to the front of the stage. I always liked that. I didn't know he even left the band when they hit the stage on the first night of the tour and there was some short haired dude on keyboards who was definitely not Kevin Moore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:42:17 PM by TAC »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
I still remember the moment I found out he was out.  We were at Schnucks to get tickets to out first ever DT show (back when Schnucks was a good place to get tickets), and I was flipping through a music magazine while we were waiting and stumbled across a blurb in it that Kevin Moore had left Dream Theater.  It was a like a punch to the gut.  It took a bit of the wind out of my sails of getting tickets to see a band that had quickly become a favorite.  I think they did a great job replacing him (and then replacing his replacement), but for me, the enigma that is Kevin Moore is an element they lost that they've never quite regained.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
he didn't write the parts, but I find some of his best work to be on the Fates Warning records he played on.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2016, 11:33:17 PM »
I always got the impression that he became disillusioned with the "virtuoso" approach that Dream Theater took to their overall sound.  He seems much more interested in creating soundscapes with a much broader brush stroke rather than shredding it out on keys, as evidenced by his post-DT stuff with OSI and Chroma Key.

In a way it was kind of a mutual parting of the ways, because you can see what DT really wanted in a keyboard player when they put on the full court press to bring Rudess into the band.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#15 now featured!!)
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
15. Bono

I get why a lot of people dislike Bono; his perceived arrogance and larger than life persona can be a turnoff, but to me, his larger than life persona is a big reason why U2 is such a thrill to watch live.  He has a stage presence that is both commanding and hypnotizing; it's like you can't look away, and he puts on performances that literally gets audiences eating out of the palm of his hand.  Throw in what a passionate singer he is, along with him being one of my favorite lyricists, and putting him on this list was easy.  He was born to perform. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
Well, I am in no way into David Bowie U2/Bono in the slightest, but I would never argue against him on anybody's list.