Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24190 times)

Offline ronnibran

Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#2 now featured!!)
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Can't tell if serious... lol

No disrespect if this is #1, just not what I expected haha.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
Oops, wrong thread. :P

The real number 1...

1. Alex Lifeson

My favorite member from my favorite band, just happens to also be my all-time favorite musician.  I'll be the first to admit that there are certainly better musicians than him, but he has a style and a vibe that is just so special; I cannot imagine any other guitar player having been in that band.  And Alex Lifeson the person is a big reason why he is number 1 here, too. Basically, he acts how I would if I were a successful musician: serious when he has to be, but just silly the rest of the time; he works hard and he plays hard.  Plus, I ultimately view him as the heart and soul of Rush's music.  While Geddy was more the brains, Alex was more the heart (although both brought plenty of both to the table).  Lerxst is a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, and that part of his personality just oozes out of his playing.  Even in Rush songs where they went nuts with the playing, he would always bust out a solo or two that just dripped with emotion.  He has been my favorite musician since 1992, and I doubt anyone will ever overtake him.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
Cue the Bastille Day riff...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »
Thank you for the thread, Kev, this was an enjoyable read!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:10 AM »
Alex rocks (as do Neil and SW)! :metal His playing style is one of the biggest reasons why I love Rush as much as I do, and on top of that he's a hilarious dude.

Nice list, Kev! :tup

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the list, Kev. Because of this, I am reconsidering checking out Neal and Roine's work.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#2 now featured!!)
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
I have no problem with this pic. In fact, she has aged gorgeously. That lovelyh smile is still there without that ridiculous hair.

Killing myself to think who I danced with in middle school to 'Eternal Flame.'

Seconding a couple posts here:

1. Susanna Hoffs is just as beautiful now as she was in her heyday.  She has really aged gracefully.
2. Steven Wilson Does.Not.Compute.  I just don't connect with him.  I love some of his work with others - "Sunsets on Empire" may be Fish's greatest solo song, and the Crimson remasters are the standard by which all others should be judged from here on out - but I've tried and tried and... let's just say that if there was a "supergroup" with Devin Townsend and Steven Wilson, I wouldn't walk across the street to see them. 
3.  Not sure he's my number one, but I like the Alex Lifeson pick; he's surely the most underrated member of Rush, and watching him play little snippets of things in the Snakes and Arrows documentary just shows how much more he's capable of beyond Rush.    Plus he has the biggest hands.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
Hell yeah, a fellow Serb.  :metal

Yep, Alex is awesome. Great player, unique style, and an extremely funny guy. I love him.  :heart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
My guitar idol.  His chordal phrasings are second to none.  He can fit any mood for a song and I love hearing him solo.  So emotive.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »
Excellent choice.

Kev, can you or do you play any instrument?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »
Nice list, Kev! :tup

Thank you for the thread, Kev, this was an enjoyable read!

Thanks for the list, Kev. Because of this, I am reconsidering checking out Neal and Roine's work.

Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who read and participated in it.  :tup :tup

Because of this, I am reconsidering checking out Neal and Roine's work.

Sweet.  Feel free to ask for recommendations.  :)

1. Susanna Hoffs is just as beautiful now as she was in her heyday.  She has really aged gracefully.

Damn right.  Call it good genes, but someone shouldn't like as good as she still does (or did a few years ago when I saw a picture of her at like 52 years old).

Hell yeah, a fellow Serb.  :metal

Yep, Alex is awesome. Great player, unique style, and an extremely funny guy. I love him.  :heart

:hat

My guitar idol.  His chordal phrasings are second to none.  He can fit any mood for a song and I love hearing him solo.  So emotive.

:coolio

Kev, can you or do you play any instrument?

No. I dabbled with the piano about 20 years ago, but just never put in the time necessary to get good at all.  It actually was for lack of trying.  :lol :lol

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#5 now featured!!)
« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2017, 03:02:51 AM »
I get why some are not big fans of Devin.  A couple of friends (who have known me for 25+ years) have on several occasions expressed a lot of surprise at how big a fan I am of Devin, considering his style is not usually in my wheelhouse.

I think it really depends on what they've been exposed to. His music is all over the place, so it's very easy to believe they simply haven't heard the songs that might make an impact on them.
I avoided Devin's music for many years myself because the very little I heard seemed like pure silliness. Then I saw/heard "Deadhead" from the Royal Albert Hall Show early last year and was floored. I waited my whole life to hear something like it. Of course, this prompted me to dig a bit deeper into his stuff, and wow, I became a huge fan very quickly. Luckily, he stopped in my city on September 11th of last year, and it was amazing. I met him and the band afterward. Great people all around.

And Anneke. Damn. Talk about an instantly recognizable and distinct voice.....and that smile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Ironically, it took me over 10 years to really appreciate how awesome Deadhead is.  For a long time, it was on my "good song that I rarely listen to" list.  Not anymore.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2017, 04:14:45 AM »
What I appreciate, Kev (and which also infuriates me in a good way), are the good topics that you come up with.  I am not as 'hip' on all of them, but I LEARN from them.  Some of your artists, due to a lack of input from my older inner circle, I have never heard of.

Nice guys, such as Mike Miles, Peter Buck, etc..........I 'initially' never heard of, but cohorts of the time pushed them on to me in a good way.  Those times are over.....except for posts such as yours.

I'll be a putz as to Lifeson for one reason:  the two times I saw Rush in Baltimore this decade, he wore a plaid flannel shirt.  The 'C'mon, Man' line came to mind.  If you are a lead guitarist in a rock band (unless it is grunge), you don't wear plaid. ;)

On a personal note, rearrange the positions for Freddie Mercury and Geddie Lee, as with Brian May and Alex, and we're good.  Thanks for the education.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #364 on: February 04, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »
I have no problem with Neal Morse being "formulaic", since he's formulaic in the same way that Beethoven wrote 9 symphonies that each had 4 movements of allegro, adagio, scherzo and rondo.

And while I'm not religious, I love his lyrics. Not a great vocalist, but there is an "every man" or common man quality to his singing that just works well with the subject matter of his lyrics.  He's not preaching. He's making a very personal appeal.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa