Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24085 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#21 now featured!!)
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »
I love The Photo Album, but I think Plans or Transatlanticism are better places to start, as far as whole albums go.  I'm am also really high on their two recent albums, Kintsugi and Codes and Keys.

Also, it's possible you might know the song Such Great Heights by The Postal Service, which featured Gibbard's vocals and lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrsZog8qXg

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
I love The Photo Album, but I think Plans or Transatlanticism are better places to start, as far as whole albums go.  I'm am also really high on their two recent albums, Kintsugi and Codes and Keys.

Also, it's possible you might know the song Such Great Heights by The Postal Service, which featured Gibbard's vocals and lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrsZog8qXg

I've never heard that before. It's interesting, but way out of the realms of music that I usually travel in. That's not a bad thing, though.

I've heard of Death Cab, but I've never actually heard any of their music. I'll take a little adventure and check them out. Thanks for the recommendations, gents!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »

I've never heard that before. It's interesting, but way out of the realms of music that I usually travel in. That's not a bad thing, though.

That kind of electronic music can be pretty enjoyable, if done right. And for me, the Postal Service is basically Death Cab's vocals and lyrics with electronic beats and keyboards backing them up instead of guitar, bass and normal drums.

I've heard of Death Cab, but I've never actually heard any of their music. I'll take a little adventure and check them out. Thanks for the recommendations, gents!

You got it, sir.  :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#20 now featured!!)
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »
20. Jordan Rudess

His inclusion might surprise some, considering I am not always a fan of his soloing, but his talent is immense, and when he plays the piano, it is always a wonderful thing.  Heck, I can put him on this list on the strength of the two LTE albums and Scenes from a Memory, but his positive contributions to Dream Theater crush the few negatives. And he is always a gracious and positive guy. Very cool guy and a ridiculously talented and innovative musician. :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
I love this guy.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
My favorite rock keyboardist is Jon Lord, and one of the reasons I loved Deep Purple was the interplay between Blackmore and Lord. In most rock bands, keys are usually held back and used as "filler" but in DP, Lord had the chops (and then some) to stand on equal ground and do battle with his overbearing guitarist.

I get the same feeling when I listen to Rudess and Petrucci. DT has obviously set up the band to attain a very similar interplay between keys and guitar, and as good as their previous keyboard players were, Rudess is the only one with equal parts ego, technique and songwriting chops who could pull off what Jon Lord did for Deep Purple.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
My favorite rock keyboardist is Jon Lord, and one of the reasons I loved Deep Purple was the interplay between Blackmore and Lord. In most rock bands, keys are usually held back and used as "filler" but in DP, Lord had the chops (and then some) to stand on equal ground and do battle with his overbearing guitarist.

I get the same feeling when I listen to Rudess and Petrucci. DT has obviously set up the band to attain a very similar interplay between keys and guitar, and as good as their previous keyboard players were, Rudess is the only one with equal parts ego, technique and songwriting chops who could pull off what Jon Lord did for Deep Purple.

Excellent points!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »
Actually, DS always reminded me of JL more than the other two. Jordan always reminded me of Rick Wakeman.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2016, 07:20:46 AM »
Far too low, but it's still nice to see him here. I don't think anyone of sound mind can deny he is one of the most talented people in music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

I've never gone hog wild over Deep Purple - I like some of their songs a lot, but never really got into them in a big way - but I totally see what you mean.  :tup :tup

However...

Actually, DS always reminded me of JL more than the other two. Jordan always reminded me of Rick Wakeman.

I can see this, as well.  The sounds Rudess uses are more like Wakeman, while the interplay with the guitar is more Deep Purple-like.

Far too low

Rubbish. :P  Him making the list at all is quite an accomplishment considering how much music I listen to and that the list is only 25. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#19 now featured!!)
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
19. Anneke van Giersbergen

She makes the list on the strength along of her voice...that voice. She could sing just about anything and it would sound amazing. She is a key element on four of my favorite Devin Townsend records, and she has done plenty of great stuff outside of his projects, a lot of which I have still yet to hear (I will get to it all some day).  The fact that she is such a pleasant soul always comes across in the live performances and videos she are parts of; just watch Devin's Retinal Circus DVD for proof of this.  And again, that voice. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
There's no denying the talent of Rudess but I've always been mixed on him. I love his contributions on Scenes and even SDOIT, but I feel like over time, with more freedom, when he has the control to do whatever he wants, it misses more than it hits for me. He probably had a lot of freedom on those first DT albums he appeared on as well, but maybe perhaps a bit more restraint since he was getting used to his role in the band. I've always liked Moore and Sherinian slightly more, but Rudess is still good.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
Far too low.  :biggrin:  I'm going to become more critical when I see who you placed above this goddess and the wizard.

You're right about her though. Her presence and persona on stage is endearing and you can't help but smile when she does. She seems like someone who genuinely loves what she does no matter what size the crowd is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
Never heard of her.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
I don't know who that guy in the gif is either! :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »
Not sure what that's from either! :lol :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »

Full Monty guy - he's aged a bit  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
That last one is from Good Fellas. Amazing movie!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »

Full Monty guy - he's aged a bit  :lol

I actually saw The Full Monty. That was years ago though.

That last one is from Good Fellas. Amazing movie!
I also saw Goodfellas back in the day. Don't remember much about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
The drugs were good in the 80's and 90's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »
What are the 90's?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Never heard of *whoever*
This should no longer require an answer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Never heard of *whoever*
This should no longer require an answer.

:lol I know right.

You know what it is, The Lovely Mrs TAC does not care to go to the movies, and there is literally NO scripted TV shows that we watch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »
And you have 13 children Lets see how many people believe this so I understand so much more now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
And you have 13 children Lets see how many people believe this so I understand so much more now.

TLC called us about a new show. 15 TACs and Counting

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »
I see it took some major epic fails on the part of TAC to get some major traffic going in this thread finally. :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
I'm here for you, buddy! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2016, 07:57:01 AM »
I see it took some major epic fails on the part of TAC to get some major traffic going in this thread finally. :lol :lol :tup :tup

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#18 now featured!!)
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
18. Keith Emerson

To me, still the most talented rock keyboardist ever.  His talent was jaw-dropping, and he brought a showmanship to rock keyboard playing that hadn't been seen yet...or since.  I remember getting into ELP back in the latter half of 1992, and while everything out the band sucked me in right away, the playing of Keith Emerson had me floored for literally months.  Sure, he could crush you with his dazzling chops, like in Trilogy or Karn Evil 9, but I was always grabbed by how melodic his playing often was, too.  His piano work in a song like Take a Pebble could not be more perfect.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy to the man, the legend, that was Keith Emerson.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
No TAC Fail here. I actually saw ELPowell back in 1986 and it was awesome. Though I don't own a single ELP album, I enjoyed the show immensely and somewhere I have a great pic of Emerson going nuts on his keyboard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
For those who dislike prog rock and its excess, I can see why they would really hate ELP, since they were the epitome of prog rock excess to the max in the 70s, but bombast and theatrics has always been a part of rock and roll, right? 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
To me, Keith Emerson did with ELP what Jimmy Page did with Led Zeppelin.  The only difference being that Emerson brought the bombast with classical music instead of heavy blues, which made it even more over-the-top to a certain extent. 

Even though they don't necessarily mesh well, Keith Emerson pioneered the idea of bringing classical music into hard rock. It's a bigger challenge to combine classical music with rock than it is to bring together blues and rock (which share a much more symbiotic relationship), but he pulled it off beautifully. 

It's amazing to think that a band was able to pack stadiums playing Mussorgsky, Copeland and Ginastera.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa