Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24304 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#3 now featured!!)
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
Power and precision.   There was something technical that drew me to Neil's playing.  He set the tone to the music. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:31:55 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
There was sometime technical that Drew new to Neil's playing.  He settled tone to the music.   

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:11 AM »
 :lol

Fixed! 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
There was sometime technical that Drew new to Neil's playing.  He settled tone to the music.   

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »
The funny thing is a write a huge 200 word post and nothing is wrong.   2 sentences and I never look what I type and fuck it all up. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
The funny thing is a write a huge 200 word post and nothing is wrong.   

I DARE you to write a 200 word post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »
Not on my phone.  A computer yes but not on my phone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#2 now featured!!)
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »
2. Steven Wilson

My favorite songwriter of the last 25 years, by just a hair over Neal Morse. I give SW the slight nod in that regard because he is more diverse in regards to style and genres. All that aside, he can do it all.  Phenomenal songwriter, phenomenal producer, great guitarist (especially as a soloist), underrated piano/keyboard player and an effective singer (given his God-given limitations).  Plus, he is just an interesting guy to listen to; every time he does an interview, you always know it is going to be interesting, since he is not one to give boring answers.  Sure, he is kind of pretentious, but he is British, so what do you expect? :p :lol Between Porcupine Tree, his solo career, Storm Corrosion and Blackfield, he has many of favorite albums, just not of the last few decades, but of all-time.  There aren't enough superlatives in the English language for how highly I think of him as a musician.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
He's right up there for me as well.  I agree about how strong his songwriting skills are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »
Yeah figured he was one of them. Not the one I'm sure of though.

He gets a lot of love around these parts. I've tried Porcupine Tree a number of times. Fair to say that I don't get it.

But anyway, not unexpected. He has a career (so far) to be totally respected, and seems to have given his fans lots of material. Like Devin Townsend, who I am also not into, Wilson seems to be productive and effective.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »
Tim, that is a great comparison with Pete Townsend.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
The comparison was Devin Townsend though. :lol

Anyway, I'm not the biggest SW fan. He's undeniably creative, but something about him just rubs me the wrong way, and I've never been able to get into the majority of his stuff, even though there are some absolutely great tunes scattered through his discography here and there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »
I love him :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
Steven is definitely in my top 3 as well. :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
But anyway, not unexpected. He has a career (so far) to be totally respected, and seems to have given his fans lots of material. Like Devin Townsend, who I am also not into, Wilson seems to be productive and effective.

Dude?? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2017, 08:16:30 AM »
Wow.  I guess I was pushing my thoughts onto Tim's post.  I still stand by it.  He's way more Pete, than Devin.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »

WHO?  :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
Pete Townshend is awesome, but no one from the Who is making my list.  I am not even sure he'd be the highest Who member if I had to expand this to 50 or 100.  Keith Moon probably would, since I put him just behind Bonham, who was 25 on this list, on my pantheon of drummers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
 :facepalm: :lol

There is something about both being very experimental that makes them very similar.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
Fantastic choice, I love that guy.

Now, I have a feeling I might be slightly disappointed by what I think would be your number one. So I better go back a few pages, hoping the musician I'm thinking of was already included in the list.  ;D

EDIT: OK, went back a few pages, it's not who I thought it might be. To be completely honest, I don't know who the number one might be. We'll see.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
No argument from me. He is a Top 5 artist for me. There isn't too much that he does that doesn't impress me. His older stuff with Porcupine Tree is some of the best music I've ever heard.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Number one is definitely either Steve Harris or James Hetfield!

Actually, I have two guys in mind for #1. Which means one of those was left off the Top 25 completely, which to me, based on Kev's post history, would be quite shocking.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
Lifeson would be number 1, methinks.

I understand the appeal of Wilson, but with the exception of the Hand.Cannot.Erase album, I always just get him at the intellectual level. I just don't connect emotionally with his music, even the often-praised The Raven That Refused to Sing and Porcupine Tree's Heart Attack in a Layby. Routine from HCE, however, gets me all the time. Powerful song. If only the music video is better.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »

He's not even one of the two I'm thinking of.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »

That's why you fail Tim.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »

Who are the two?

Also, have you read the whole thread? Did you see the honorable mentions? Just curious.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
Number one is definitely either Steve Harris or James Hetfield!

Either of those would be disappointing at the top spot. Especially Mr. Yeah-heah  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#11 now featured!!)
« Reply #342 on: January 29, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
Have I read the thread? I've been the Assistant OP! ;D

*double checks Honorable Mentions*

Honorable mentions
Mikael Akerfeldt

Notable exceptions who didn't make it because of non-musical reasons
Roger Waters (one of my favorite songwriters and my 2nd favorite lyricist, but he's been too much of a dick over the years)

:blush

;D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #343 on: January 29, 2017, 10:16:59 AM »
Can I just say that in reading your list, Kev, I have come to realize that I am not really a prog-head.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #344 on: January 29, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Can I just say that in reading your list, Kev, I have come to realize that I am not really a prog-head.  :lol

The funny thing is, I listen to a crap load of non-prog, but a lot of my favorite music is prog (Neal Morse, Flower Kings, Genesis, Yes, etc.) or has strong prog leanings at times (Rush, PT/SW).

Have I read the thread? I've been the Assistant OP! ;D

*double checks Honorable Mentions*

Heh. 

Waters probably would have been number 1 on my list had I done it in late 1990/1991, right after I really got into Pink Floyd.

Akerfeldt just missed the cut, as I pointed out.  The fact that every interview I see with him bores me to death didn't help his cause.  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #345 on: January 29, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
Akerfeldt just missed the cut, as I pointed out.  The fact that every interview I see with him bores me to death didn't help his cause.  :lol

It probably doesn't help that the interviews I read about him usually has the topic, "Why does Opeth don't do death growls in the vocals anymore?"  I understand the reason why and all and it's valid.  I just don't need to read it in every interview.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)
« Reply #346 on: January 29, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
1. Susanna Hoffs

Was there ever any doubt as to who number 1 would be?  This iconic member of the Bangles, known for a handful of smash hits in the 80s, Hoffs has one of the greatest moments in music video history, as seen in the still photo above.  She is the best.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: January 29, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
 :lol

#1 Hottie!  I'd walk like an Egyptian for her anytime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 29, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »
I have no problem with this pic. In fact, she has aged gorgeously. That lovelyh smile is still there without that ridiculous hair.

Killing myself to think who I danced with in middle school to 'Eternal Flame.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »
Close you eyes
Give me your hand...