Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24224 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#10 now featured!!)
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
I'm always mystified at the love for Prophet's Song.  Most of the song is good, but the middle section is way too long and gets annoying really quick.  I know quite a few Queen fans in "real life" :P, and not a single one ever brings that song up when we talk about them.

Prophet's Song is my favorite Queen song..... and unrelated, Queen II is my favorite album of theirs... but I'm an established weirdo.

Great list thus far. Freddy Mercury was all-time.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#11 now featured!!)
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
Thom Yorke wouldn't get anywhere near my list - I'd put Ian Hill of Judas Priest in there before Thom Yorke.  Or Dennis Stratton.  Or the guy that took over for Joe Perry for half a tour in '78.   He would, however, have a prominent place - easily top five if not top three - on my lists of grossly overrated musicians and/or exceedingly pretentious musicians.

Come on, you might not like his voice or his personality, but Thom Yorke is in many ways a defining musician of the last 20-odd years. His music with Radiohead may be pretentious indeed, but you can't deny the critical acclaim the band has gotten for being inventive and non-conforming. That's not even counting the 'classic' albums they have released with OK Computer, Kid A and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Insomniac. Their latest release was featured on many a top X list of 2016. Thom Yorke is an polarising artist, for sure, but an artist nonetheless and a damn good song-writer and musician.

Not going to hijack someone else's thread too much, but while I see some of what you write - and have already gotten my arms around the ludicrous idea that Radiohead will be first-ballot inductees into the Jann WennerTM Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - some of the stuff you write is subjective, and no, I don't buy all of it.  Sure, lot's of critical acclaim, and sure their "non-conforming" angle is part of that.  But I don't see all the "inventive", and while Yorke clearly doesn't "suck" (I'm able to separate the idea that just because I don't like it doesn't mean he "sucks"), in my view, he's not the legend that some make him out to be.

I've yet to hear a Radiohead song I like

Mercury  :hefdaddy
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
I'm always mystified at the love for Prophet's Song.  Most of the song is good, but the middle section is way too long and gets annoying really quick.  I know quite a few Queen fans in "real life" :P, and not a single one ever brings that song up when we talk about them.

It's loved in prog circles, and my mistake in sending that song to Brent is because I thought he was a prog-head. I should have paid attention to the Kip Winger clues.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
Brent is not a prog head.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
Brent is not a prog head.

:)

I do find the majority of prog that I hear loses my interest very quickly.

Having said that there is the odd rare example of an album that combines prog , rock/metal and melodic hooks in a way that could well be my favourite type of music.  It's just so rare.   Recent examples from Fates Warning and Symphony X would qualify and Images and Words is as good as my favourite album of all time ............. yet I have no love at all for Train Of Thought etc....

tastes eh?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
A Night at the Opera is highly overrated. The Prophets Song is a great song and the best song on it.

I couldn't name one Radiohead song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »

It's loved in prog circles

Probably because it's the longest song they ever did. 

Queen II is my favorite album of theirs... but I'm an established weirdo.

Great list thus far. Freddy Mercury was all-time.

Queen II is pretty awesome.  I'd probably put it 4th on my Queen list, behind Sheer Heart Attack, Innuendo and A Night at the Opera.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2017, 05:02:40 AM »
Kev, here are various versions of 'Too Much Love Will Kill You' (if you weren't aware of them).  A shame that due to copyright problems, a polished version did not make it onto 'The Miracle' LP.  Also a shame that other demos, a couple of solo tracks, along with the nonalbum B sides, were not chosen.  The songs were there to make it a very good/great album.

TMLWKY Brian demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrfEqjGZ4A

TMLWKY Brian demo with Elizabeth Lamers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokXANl5fxU

TMLWKY  Brian demo, slightly different vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCptxc2wJn0

TMLWLY   inst demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgtCScH4P4

TMLWKY  Freddie demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmpcRCpjFU

fan made 'combo' of Brian and Freddie studio versions   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFEjZ98Q4s

Brian guitar version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4HMj10QXw

fan piano version (since I can't find Brian's)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guz9XJx7IfA

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
That's a lot of versions to get to. :lol :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#9 now featured!!)
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
9. David Gilmour

Gilmour has long been my favorite member of Pink Floyd.  Not only is he a phenomenal guitar player, a good singer and a great songwriter, he was always the taker of the high road when it came to the decades-long feud with former bandmate Roger Waters.  I could have put him on this list for his contributions to the classic Floyd records, which some Waters fanboys try to marginalize, but in the last 25 years, he's given us The Division Bell, On an Island and Rattle That Lock, all of which I adore as well.  Lastly, that four note lead that kicks off Part 2 of Shine On You Crazy Diamond... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
that four note lead that kicks off Part 2 of Shine On You Crazy Diamond... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

If those were the only four notes he ever played he'd still be worthy of this list.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »
Like May , Gilmour is someone I rated very highly without having a comprehensive knowledge of his discography.   As is obvious I have more of an affinity for the 80's period of most artists .  So although I only knew the hits of their classic period (and saw them live once...with flying pigs and all) , as a guitarist I knew one of the finest players going around when I saw/heard him.

And when it came time to do my DTF Top 50 one of the obvious choices was A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which stood out like a sore thumb in the middle of all the hard rock and metal.  That is more the Floyd of my childhood and the slightly harder more accessible edge made it one of the most listened to albums of the period for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:09:58 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
David Gilmour is a top 5 guitar player for me. Maybe top 3.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mladen

« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09:58 AM »
I love him as a guitar player, he's never been a favorite singer or lyricist of mine. In terms of songwriting, he doesn't touch me as much as Roger Waters does, but nevertheless, his melodies and solos give me chills, and that's more than enough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#8 now featured!!)
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
8. John Petrucci

What can I say about John Petrucci that hasn't been said here already?  The guitarist, main songwriter and the true heart and soul of Dream Theater.  Think of the other "guitar hero"-type players and then realize that none of them have the songwriting skills that he has.  A true all-world talent.  :metal

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »
Awesome!

John Petrucci is awesome. He is talented in many ways: writing songs, playing the guitar, leading a band, management and all those nice stuff.

His lyrics writing is always top notch for me and his guitar playing is way out there. One of my favorite guitarists among others.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
His lyrics are kind of hit and miss for me, but he does have some really good ones, especially back in the 90s.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
Ah yes the early ages. I think his songwriting was at its peak on Awake-Falling Into Infinity.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
Can't argue with this selection  :metal

And every time I see that photo that Kev used , the first thing that comes to mind is stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okO9qGt7A4

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2017, 09:46:31 PM »
Well, JP would definitely be in my Top 10, and quite possibly my Top 5.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2017, 11:02:49 PM »
On to the top 10...

10. Freddie Mercury

It was not my intention to have the two Queen members back-to-back, but it's just the way it worked out.  Anyway, who can argue with the voice of Freddie Mercury?   He is arguably both the greatest rock singer ever AND the greatest rock frontman ever.  Watching Live at Wembley '86 is just inspiring, seeing him hold that many in the palm of his hand.  His vocals over the years were jaw-dropping already, and then you listen to Innuendo and realize he did those when he was on the verge of death from AIDS...it's just unbelievable, no matter how you slice it.  The list of musicians you never see anyone say a bad thing about is really short, and Freddie Mercury is at the top of that list.  He might be the most universally loved rock star ever.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

About 10 spots too low! ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#7 now featured!!)
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
7. Roine Stolt

The highest rated Swede in my list!!  :biggrin:  One of the greatest songwriters ever in the prog rock genre, Stolt is also one of the best guitar players ever, and to top it off, can also sing pretty well, although his unusual style is certainly an acquired taste for a lot of people.  Some of my favorite albums and songs ever feature Stolt as the or a main songwriter (Flower Kings and Transatlantic).  What's really amazing is how prolific he has been over the last 23 years.  Something like 25 or so total studio albums amongst his various bands and projects, and quite a few of them are either double discs or have a bonus disc of more new material and/or covers.  In other words, he has tons of quality AND quantity!! :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
 :corn

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2017, 07:49:45 PM »
Hey, TAC. Do you know who that is?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »

Yeah, he's in Transatlantic (yawn) and The Flower Kings (Zzzzz).

I've sampled both bands as DTF folks do gaga over them, but they are definitely not for me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
 :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
Tim,  I love when you fail.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »
The real question is, is anyone going to comment on this selection?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »

Yeah, he's in Transatlantic (yawn) and The Flower Kings (Zzzzz).

I've sampled both bands as DTF folks do gaga over them, but they are definitely not for me.

TAC and I might have been separated at birth.

I do enjoy his guitar playing, but those vocals....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
I find Roine a chameleon.  He has the ability to fit in any band yet still sound like Roine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
The real question is, is anyone going to comment on this selection?

Oh, right. Back on topic. There are never too many good things to say about him. His vocals are an acquired taste but I think they're great. They are never overdone and fit perfectly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

The highest rated Swede in my list!!  :biggrin:  One of the greatest songwriters ever in the prog rock genre, Stolt is also one of the best guitar players ever, and to top it off, can also sing pretty well, although his unusual style is certainly an acquired taste for a lot of people.  Some of my favorite albums and songs ever feature Stolt as the or a main songwriter (Flower Kings and Transatlantic).  What's really amazing is how prolific he has been over the last 23 years.  Something like 25 or so total studio albums amongst his various bands and projects, and quite a few of them are either double discs or have a bonus disc of more new material and/or covers.  In other words, he has tons of quality AND quantity!! :tup :tup

Look, all the usual caveats:  I know it's "favorite", I know it's all taste, and I love hearing about OTHER people's taste, etc. etc. etc., but for me personally, as much as I love Roine, and have all the Transatlantic stuff (and LOVE it) and even like the Anderson/Stolt stuff, I can't in good conscience have him at 7 on a list where Dave Gilmour and Fred Mercury are 9 and 10 respectively.    I just can't. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
So don't put Roine ahead of them when you do your list. :P