Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24185 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#13 now featured!!)
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
Be the best frontman of the 21st century? Check.
This is quite a bold statement. However, it could be true. For me personally, Corey Taylor and Kevin Barnes (of Montreal) would be up there, but Bellamy might take the top spot.

I'm not saying he IS, since I haven't personally seen any of the three (though I've seen Taylor and Bellamy on video) but I don't think you can have that conversation without at least MENTIONING Jay Buchanan. 

And if you're going to include "Corey Taylor" in frontmen of the 21st century (i.e. after 2000), well,  Eddie Vedder is tough to beat. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
No idea!

No $%/@! :lol

:lol

:metal

(i.e. after 2000), well,  Eddie Vedder is tough to beat. 

While I can only take Pearl Jam in small doses, they have my total respect as a band. Total. Respect.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
Yes! I've seen him live a couple of times and Matt never ceases to amaze me. He has been one of the driving force of Muse and he really is a good songwriter as well as a pianist....basically what you wrote Kev. :tup

Hell yeah.  :tup :tup

I think "good" and "quality" are subjective - personally I think there is almost as much "fail" in the Bowie catalogue as there is "win" - but the thing I was always impressed about with him is that it never felt contrived, or like it was playing to fads, like it did with some others (Mick Jagger comes to mind; I don't think so, but it's a common knock against some of the mid-period Kiss).   It always came off as the honest exploration of a curious and creative soul.   There was an integrity there that I think a lot of artists can take a lesson from.    I'm thinking of the Live Aid performances, and even in the SAME SONG - I'm thinking "Dancing In The Streets" - Bowie comes off as a natural to that 60's Motown swagger and Jagger - who I like, mind you - comes off as, well, someone trying just a shade too hard.   

I neve listen to Dancing in the Streets, so I cannot address that, but I agree with your main point about Bowie and integrity.  Even when he went out of his way to make a "pop" record with Let's Dance, it was still unlike the other pop stuff you heard at the time.  I realized that at the time back then, even at the age of 10.  :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
Be the best frontman of the 21st century? Check.
This is quite a bold statement. However, it could be true. For me personally, Corey Taylor and Kevin Barnes (of Montreal) would be up there, but Bellamy might take the top spot.

I'm not saying he IS, since I haven't personally seen any of the three (though I've seen Taylor and Bellamy on video) but I don't think you can have that conversation without at least MENTIONING Jay Buchanan. 

And if you're going to include "Corey Taylor" in frontmen of the 21st century (i.e. after 2000), well,  Eddie Vedder is tough to beat.
I saw Rival sons live and though Jay was pretty cool and charismatic, but one of the best 21st century front men? Maybe if we give him 10 more years. And even then it's a pretty big maybe.

Corey should find a spot in a 21st century list as much as Bellamy. Both have only had a year or two of touring before 21st century kicked in, both were yet to reach their peak of popularity.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#12 now featured!!)
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
12. Tony Banks

I could have put Tony Banks on this list merely on the strength of the latter half of The Cinema Show, and then when you factor in his large resume of playing with Genesis, as well as the fact that he was always one of their main songwriters, he was easy to put this high.  He is probably my favorite rock keyboardist ever.  He had such an elegant style, meaning he could dazzle you with proggy leads over complex time signatures while never overplaying and always letting melody, not chops, carry the day.  His playing in Fading Lights has some of my favorite playing of his as well.  The part that begins around 6:47-ish or so is one of the most bad ass I've ever heard someone playing. It's like the synth notes crawl over one another as it progresses, and I have seen it described before as sounding like spiders crawling up a wall.  You have to hear it to know what I am talking about.  Amazing musician and player.  :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
I was shocked to see he was the boss in Genesis in the rock doc. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Mladen

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Never loved him as much as I love Rick Wakeman or Jordan Rudess, but he's great nonetheless.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »
I couldn't care less about Bellamy, but Tony Banks is great. He is by no means on the level of someone like Rudess or Wakeman, but he certainly deserves mentioning.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
I couldn't care less about Bellamy, but Tony Banks is great. He is by no means on the level of someone like Rudess or Wakeman, but he certainly deserves mentioning.

Sorry, boss, maybe not notes per second, but compositionally, he is their equal.   He is easily my vote for one of the top three composers in rock.   

Even the stuff that many pass off as "crappy" Genesis has an intricacy and uniqueness that is lost on most people.   I often call Abacab their most progressive record (in the true sense of the word) for this reason.   "Me And Sarah Jane".  Verse, chorus, verse chorus pop piffle?  Nah, prog masterpiece.  Five sections, none which ever repeat with the unifying melody over the top.  Brilliant.

The "Medley" part of the "In The Cage Medley" on 3SL is my favorite moment in recorded music ever, and Wind and Wuthering is in my top five albums of all time, largely because of his work on One For The Vine (a VERY special song for me, let's leave it at that), "Evidence of Autumn" is a top five song for me (also very special to me for various reasons) and the "Unquiet Slumbers...Quiet Earth... Afterglow" suite (yes, I know he doesn't get a credit on "Unquiet..." but he does on the other two, for which he is either the primary or sole writer).  yeah, his lyrics sometimes suck, but so be it. 

Any fans need to check out his two symphonic works, "Seven" and (what I call) "Sixes" (it's actually "Six Pieces for an Orchestra" or something like that). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
  "crappy" Genesis

That's redundant.

;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2017, 07:33:19 AM »

Sorry, boss, maybe not notes per second, but compositionally, he is their equal.   He is easily my vote for one of the top three composers in rock.   

Even the stuff that many pass off as "crappy" Genesis has an intricacy and uniqueness that is lost on most people.   I often call Abacab their most progressive record (in the true sense of the word) for this reason.   "Me And Sarah Jane".  Verse, chorus, verse chorus pop piffle?  Nah, prog masterpiece.  Five sections, none which ever repeat with the unifying melody over the top.  Brilliant.

The "Medley" part of the "In The Cage Medley" on 3SL is my favorite moment in recorded music ever, and Wind and Wuthering is in my top five albums of all time, largely because of his work on One For The Vine (a VERY special song for me, let's leave it at that), "Evidence of Autumn" is a top five song for me (also very special to me for various reasons) and the "Unquiet Slumbers...Quiet Earth... Afterglow" suite (yes, I know he doesn't get a credit on "Unquiet..." but he does on the other two, for which he is either the primary or sole writer).  yeah, his lyrics sometimes suck, but so be it. 

:tup :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »

Any fans need to check out his two symphonic works, "Seven" and (what I call) "Sixes" (it's actually "Six Pieces for an Orchestra" or something like that).

It's capricious to assume I was referring to notes per second. I've never known Wakeman to be a fast player, at least not on the same level as JR, so that logic goes out the window. I just don't think Banks compares to them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
I've never known Wakeman to be a fast player, at least not on the same level as JR, so that logic goes out the window.

:eek :eek

https://youtu.be/KxHXkfum4eA?t=155

:P

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Tony Banks is awesome. The first thing that hooked me so many years ago was that opening piano prelude from Firth Of Fifth. He may not be as technical, but he wins in the songwriting dept.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »
Yep, the intro to Firth of Fifth is nothing short of magnificent.  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#11 now featured!!)
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
11. Brian May

There is warmth to Brian May's playing, singing and personality, that is hard not to be drawn to.  I have referred to him as rock royalty before, as well as saying that his guitar playing sound majestic, so how fitting is it that he was in a band called Queen? That can't be a coincidence, right?  ;)  While the song itself is not one of my favorites, May's performance of Too Much Love Will Kill You at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, where he sings and plays piano, remains one of the most touching things I've ever seen at a rock concert (even if I didn't witness it live).  All Hail Queen.  And all Hail Brian May. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
No issues here. The Lovely Mrs. TAC LOVES Queen.

Saw Brian May open for GnR in 1993 at the Boston Garden. Had Cozy Powell on drums! :metal
Gary Cherone joined him on stage for Tie Your Mother Down.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:52:13 PM by TAC »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
Very nice.

I should also point out that the solo album he did in the late 90s called Another World is really good.  I got a lot of mileage out of that CD. :coolio

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
My first album with Brian May was one of the rarest -  Star Fleet project (being a VH nut) - and then later got into Queen , more as a greatest hits type listen but I always rated Brian May.

The first artist in the list (from memory) outside of DT and maybe Walsh that has really had a significant influence on my life.   You could argue that Zep and The Beatles have influenced my musical life whether I listened to them much or not though I suppose :lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:21:54 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
My favorite guitarist ever. He managed to play so many styles but remarkably always sound distinct.

Is there a requirement to do these Favorite players' list? Kev inspired me to do my own list over the weekend and I am amazed at what I came up with.  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2017, 05:51:14 AM »

It's capricious to assume I was referring to notes per second. I've never known Wakeman to be a fast player, at least not on the same level as JR, so that logic goes out the window. I just don't think Banks compares to them.

I didn't assume anything about what you said; I was just conceding that part of the argument before it was ever made.   The point being, of course, that there are likely more things TECHNICALLY that Wakeman/Rudess (and Emerson is here as well) can do that Banks can't than vice versa.  I just thing Banks is WOEFULLY underrated for his compositional skills.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »
Love Brian May's big fat juicy guitar tone.  He can make it quite heavy too.

There are some guitarists who can compose a guitar solo that's practically a song within a song, which makes it that much more memorable.  May is one of those, along with David Gilmour and Jimmy Page. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
I've never known Wakeman to be a fast player, at least not on the same level as JR, so that logic goes out the window.

So you're saying Wakeman and Rudess are similarly inclined to play that way? I've listened to both long enough to know the answer to that one.  ;)

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
Brian May really does have a guitar tone like no other. I remember being blown away by Brighton Rock as a kid and it's still one of my favorites. He's a fantastic songwriter too, 39 and All Dead All Dead are fantastic and beautiful songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
There are some guitarists who can compose a guitar solo that's practically a song within a song, which makes it that much more memorable.  May is one of those, along with David Gilmour and Jimmy Page.

Agreed.  The solos to Hammer to Fall and Flick of the Wrist fall under the description, IMO.

Is there a requirement to do these Favorite players' list? Kev inspired me to do my own list over the weekend and I am amazed at what I came up with.  :lol

Nope. Have at it when I am done in about two weeks. :)

The first artist in the list (from memory) outside of DT and maybe Walsh that has really had a significant influence on my life.   

Nice.  :coolio

So you're saying Wakeman and Rudess are similarly inclined to play that way? I've listened to both long enough to know the answer to that one.  ;)

No, I am saying that Wakeman is a fast player. :lol

Brian May really does have a guitar tone like no other. I remember being blown away by Brighton Rock as a kid and it's still one of my favorites. He's a fantastic songwriter too, 39 and All Dead All Dead are fantastic and beautiful songs.

'39 remains not only one of my favorite Queen songs, but one of my favorite songs by anyone.  So much fun to crank up and sing along to. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
Kev Shmev, I was wondering, will any Opeth members be on your list??

If it's spoiler, you don't have to say. :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Kev Shmev, I was wondering, will any Opeth members be on your list??

If it's spoiler, you don't have to say. :D

It's all good.  Akerfeldt came close, but didn't quite make the cut.  And with that, I will list some honorable mentions and notable exceptions.

Honorable mentions
Mikael Akerfeldt
Richard Wright
Tomas Bodin
Chris Squire
Thom Yorke
Buck Dharma
James LaBrie
Rob Halford
Tony Levin

Notable exceptions who didn't make it because of non-musical reasons
Roger Waters (one of my favorite songwriters and my 2nd favorite lyricist, but he's been too much of a dick over the years)
Mike Portnoy (the drummer I air drum to the 2nd most, and he is on a lot of my favorite albums, but his online activity and general personality make him too unlikable away from the drum kit)
John Lennon (would have been my Beatles choice over McCartney two years ago, but the stories about him being a hitter of women lowered him big time in my eyes)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
Kev Shmev, I was wondering, will any Iron Maiden members be on your list??

If it's a spoiler, you don't have to say.  :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
If Kip Winger isn't in there , then there'll be trouble too Kev.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
If Kip Winger isn't in there , then there'll be trouble too Kev.

Poor Kev. Keeps getting his nice thread trolled!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
Tim you selfish bastard.    Lol.

Also Kev, I'm pulling a Tim and Alex Lifeson better be on your list.

What hypocrisy! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »

Honorable mentions
Tomas Bodin
Thom Yorke

Never heard of them. Who are these guys?

Seriously.

Alex Lifeson better be on your list.

Who?  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
The joke will be on you clowns when Michael Sweet is number 1.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
Kev Shmev, I was wondering, will any Iron Maiden members be on your list??

If it's a spoiler, you don't have to say.  :D

XD XD

And nice list! Can't wait for your top ten!